RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Looking for opinions/advice on new RC F

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 07:50 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TVD seems like just for track use. Plus the TVD weighs 50 lbs. I'd rather have weight savings than something I'd never use. (every little bit helps).
Old 11-14-14, 08:19 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
TVD seems like just for track use. Plus the TVD weighs 50 lbs. I'd rather have weight savings than something I'd never use. (every little bit helps).
^^ Right. Also delete moonroof and ML to "add lightness"
(Carbon fiber helps too of course)
Old 11-14-14, 08:41 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
^^ Right. Also delete moonroof and ML to "add lightness"
(Carbon fiber helps too of course)
I'm not a fan of how the RC F looks with the sunroof, I know it's a coupe and you have to expect the panel to hang out over the back window, but it doesn't look that good in my opinion.

As you guys have stated, the TVD absolutely adds more weight, and even with the CF bits, it's not enough to offset the added weight that the TVD brings. It just doesn't sound like I will notice any performance gains on the street which is why I was asking and appreciate all of the responses and opinions. You guys are great!
Old 11-14-14, 08:42 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by NewSpace
These cars are going for MSRP. I don't believe in unicorns
That makes two of us

I was super skeptical of what I saw on Truecar.com last night, kind of made me do a double take to make sure what I saw was actually there. I highly doubt any dealerships are going to discount these cars in the near future, but that will all depend on the demand of course.
Old 11-14-14, 09:07 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

These cars will not be discounted by any significant margin--if at all.

The TVD, IMOs, will be faster and more nimble on the turns. Rather than debating this until the moon turns purple, we'll see side-by-side testing in the spring.

I believe the 3.9 run by R&T was with the TVD as well as teh AMCI certified laps run agains the M4 and the RS5.

With this said, I doubt that I will ever run my carbon on a race track.
Old 11-14-14, 01:13 PM
SDEngineer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
These cars will not be discounted by any significant margin--if at all.

The TVD, IMOs, will be faster and more nimble on the turns. Rather than debating this until the moon turns purple, we'll see side-by-side testing in the spring.

I believe the 3.9 run by R&T was with the TVD as well as teh AMCI certified laps run agains the M4 and the RS5.

With this said, I doubt that I will ever run my carbon on a race track.
TVD is not likely to improve 0-60 times, in fact, it may actually lower them. The TVD mechanism is higher weight (~60lbs I think) than the Torsen differential that is the base differential. The primary purpose of the electronic TVD is to improve torque distribution to the wheel with the best traction while cornering - I just can't see how it would improve a straight line acceleration figure.

On the other hand, it would clearly help on the track if you're driving near the limits during cornering.

I'm not sure I trust the 3.9s run by R&T yet. Based on the other reports, it seems to be a bit of an outlier - also seems to be a bit on the fast side for a car with the RC-F's P:W ratio which doesn't have AWD.
Old 11-15-14, 09:40 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well that simple you don't need that optional tvd limited slip. The regular mechanicall limited slip is plenty enough even if you decide to go to the track . Why tack on something you will not use .
Old 11-15-14, 09:43 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SDEngineer
TVD is not likely to improve 0-60 times, in fact, it may actually lower them. The TVD mechanism is higher weight (~60lbs I think) than the Torsen differential that is the base differential. The primary purpose of the electronic TVD is to improve torque distribution to the wheel with the best traction while cornering - I just can't see how it would improve a straight line acceleration figure.

On the other hand, it would clearly help on the track if you're driving near the limits during cornering.

I'm not sure I trust the 3.9s run by R&T yet. Based on the other reports, it seems to be a bit of an outlier - also seems to be a bit on the fast side for a car with the RC-F's P:W ratio which doesn't have AWD.
And you are correct with that bring said the earlier isf 08-10 that had electronic diff are tad quicker down the straight line in a drag race compared to the Isf equipped with mechanicall slip due to weight advantage . On the corners it's a different story
Old 11-15-14, 04:20 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SDEngineer

Then don't trust any times for any cars? Most of the new owners with Vetts are hard pressed to break the 4 second barrier. The car obviously can break it. So, what's the problem? Now it's too fast? Really?

As you undoubtedly know, it always comes down to a great driver to get a great run. The RCF ran 3.9. There should be no surprise, and it was a TVD. It was a perfect run...And ISF owners should be glad that there is a worthy successor. I for one am.

Oh, and weight has repeatedly been shown to be a non-factor. Its AMCI certified runs beat the M4 and RS5 by seconds. Yaguchi's engineering has superbly come together for this racer. And remember: he promised a new F that would accommodate beginner as well as advanced drivers. The challenge has been built into the car.

Lexus has produced a killer machine...believe it or not...your choice. I say, what a frigging car!

Last edited by ISF001; 11-15-14 at 04:43 PM.