RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF is Faster than the M4 and Audi RS5 on a Closed Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 09:09 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great find! Hoping for more comparos to come out. MT review showed how evenly matched the two cars are (with a sprinkle of bias towards the M4). What sold me was how composed the rcf was around the track compared to the m4. I don't know about you guys, but I prefer my back not to break or my head not to jolt off my neck during spirited driving. .3 seconds is meaningless to me.
Old 11-05-14, 09:57 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,798 Posts

The fact that RC-F stays right with the M4 on the long back straight (Streets of willow track), clearly tells RC-F rolling acceleration is very comparable despite being 400 lbs heavier.
Old 11-08-14, 11:22 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Meh..tired of speaking ze Deutch. RC F will take on the Brits too. Jaguar? Even Aston Martin!?!
Old 11-09-14, 05:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RCF is like a japanese aston GT car
Old 11-09-14, 06:12 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RCF is like a japanese aston GT car
I would even go so far as to say that the RC F stacks up well against the AM V8 Vantage
Old 11-09-14, 01:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The fact that RC-F stays right with the M4 on the long back straight (Streets of willow track), clearly tells RC-F rolling acceleration is very comparable despite being 400 lbs heavier.
There's no long anything at Streets of Willow. Have you been there? The big track has long straights and top speeds deep into triple digits. Streets is an overgrown autocross. All this speaks to is gearing in this particular speed range.

Sure we can trust Lexus marketing because we know they are worried about going to jail for misrepresenting their product.

Answer just one question - which factory's engineers were present at this test? Who from BMW and Audi made sure their cars were in top form, and the drivers were not "light footed" when their cars were being tested?

Claims are claims. Just like believing there is anything more than physical resemblance between the GT3 RC F and the car the public can buy at Lexus.
Old 11-09-14, 05:15 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's no long anything at Streets of Willow. Have you been there? The big track has long straights and top speeds deep into triple digits. Streets is an overgrown autocross. All this speaks to is gearing in this particular speed range.

Sure we can trust Lexus marketing because we know they are worried about going to jail for misrepresenting their product.

Answer just one question - which factory's engineers were present at this test? Who from BMW and Audi made sure their cars were in top form, and the drivers were not "light footed" when their cars were being tested?

Claims are claims. Just like believing there is anything more than physical resemblance between the GT3 RC F and the car the public can buy at Lexus.
Given your time behind the wheel of the ISF and the conservative claims Lexus made on the performance of the car, I am surprised that you are having difficulty with the same conservative claims being made about the RCF. Fs always exceed Lexus' conservative numbers.

Yaguchi's interviews made it clear that he did not wish to discuss track performance comparisons to the M4. He did not say that it would not run and exceed the M4s capabilities. I can assure you the RCF has been EXTENSIVELY run on the track with the M4 RS5 and beat them enough times to validate this bold statement.

Why the incredulity? We are not taking about inflated numbers by any stretch of the imagination--not with Lexus.
Old 11-09-14, 08:35 PM
SDEngineer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was AMCI certified testing. Knowing a little bit about certified testing, it's a very safe bet that the driver doing the testing was not a Lexus driver, and that he/she drove each car fairly around the track.

Frankly, after seeing Pobst's run (on what was likely the same track), it's hardly surprising that an RC-F could beat an M4 around a track with a lesser driver behind the wheel. If Pobst had to work that hard to coax a 0.3s advantage for the M4 (which is evident from the in-car camera), I don't think most drivers would do better than tie the RC-F in a M4 on a road course.

My general takeaway from the video evidence is that the M4 does indeed have higher limits than the RC-F as far as handling goes - but not very many drivers will have the skill level to exploit that advantage.
Old 11-10-14, 07:45 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Inside I really want the rcf to be better track car than the M4 but I just don't see it... M4 is much lighter, the tq curve kills the rcf, the m gearbox is dam good and everything I read about both cars says the BMW steering response and turn in are much better than the rcf not to mention hold on average .3 more g on a figure eight. I hate BMW but I just don't see it not winning on a track. As far as a gt car goes you couldn't give me the m4 over the rcf.
Old 11-10-14, 08:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
Inside I really want the rcf to be better track car than the M4 but I just don't see it... M4 is much lighter, the tq curve kills the rcf, the m gearbox is dam good and everything I read about both cars says the BMW steering response and turn in are much better than the rcf not to mention hold on average .3 more g on a figure eight. I hate BMW but I just don't see it not winning on a track. As far as a gt car goes you couldn't give me the m4 over the rcf.
.3 sec behind an M4 that weighs 400# less and had carbon ceramic brakes on Streets of Willow isnt convincing enough? I knew the M wil be a better track car how much much better? I certain didnt expect it to be that close. Look how difficult the M was to drive at the limit in the Head 2 Head video
Old 11-10-14, 09:47 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darbs242
Darbs,

Sorry buddy, but that race was WAY to close for anyone to call the M4 a superior track car. The torque on the M4 actually became a problem as demonstrated in the hotlap on corners. It also oversteers like crazy.

It all comes down to time gains and losses on the track. Based on how the driver was almost at times struggling with the M4 to keep in on track and the near identical times for the two cars, I believe with a few laps the RCF would have a commanding lead in a race.

I am surprised to see how it all came together on the track for the RCF. Conventional thinking says the sum of the individual metrics equates to performance. The RCF defies conventional thinking, and I attribute this to the big advantage delivered through the torque vectoring rear differential, the handling on corners, and the racing engine that likes to redline.
Old 11-11-14, 04:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Darbs,

Sorry buddy, but that race was WAY to close for anyone to call the M4 a superior track car. The torque on the M4 actually became a problem as demonstrated in the hotlap on corners. It also oversteers like crazy.

It all comes down to time gains and losses on the track. Based on how the driver was almost at times struggling with the M4 to keep in on track and the near identical times for the two cars, I believe with a few laps the RCF would have a commanding lead in a race.

I am surprised to see how it all came together on the track for the RCF. Conventional thinking says the sum of the individual metrics equates to performance. The RCF defies conventional thinking, and I attribute this to the big advantage delivered through the torque vectoring rear differential, the handling on corners, and the racing engine that likes to redline.
And my bet is, if they'd used the big track, the M4 would have beat the RC F by 3 seconds easy. Streets is an overgrown autocross. Maybe I missed something, but I watched the whole video, and the RC F lost in every measured metric. It won in the audible sound category. Pobst says the suspension is too soft and the body roll is excessive - this is typical for Lexus - soft front springs to ensure the car understeers. In fact, if you go through the New Car Features book, you'll see a dozen different things Lexus did to ensure the car understeers, so there isn't even a simple fix.

I've spent a bit of track time in the F. I know what it does well and what it doesn't do well. It is a fun drive for a heavy sedan capable of getting groceries. It does not hold a candle to even an E36 M3 with a mild race prep on the track. Been there, done that, had to point it by. No illusions here, I can see pretty clearly what the RC F is - a two door IS F intended to wow people who are not too serious about performance.

I will be much more interested to see what they do to the GT3 version to make it competitive.
Old 11-11-14, 04:34 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

And my bet is, if they'd used the big track, the M4 would have beat the RC F by 3 seconds easy. Streets is an overgrown autocross. Maybe I missed something, but I watched the whole video, and the RC F lost in every measured metric. It won in the audible sound category. Pobst says the suspension is too soft and the body roll is excessive - this is typical for Lexus - soft front springs to ensure the car understeers. In fact, if you go through the New Car Features book, you'll see a dozen different things Lexus did to ensure the car understeers, so there isn't even a simple fix.

I've spent a bit of track time in the F. I know what it does well and what it doesn't do well. It is a fun drive for a heavy sedan capable of getting groceries. It does not hold a candle to even an E36 M3 with a mild race prep on the track. Been there, done that, had to point it by. No illusions here, I can see pretty clearly what the RC F is - a two door IS F intended to wow people who are not too serious about performance.

I will be much more interested to see what they do to the GT3 version to make it competitive.
You have no idea what the RCF can do. Apparently, neither do Car and Driver and MT. Road and Track ran a 3.9 in a Pre-pro version. Lexus beat the M4 and RS5 on the track, and you want to hold onto 7 year old tech in the ISF as a serious contender to the new car? The new F dwarfs the ISF--my favorite Lexus.

With all due respect, This discussion is inane and needs to be settled on the track in March. For now, We should just give it up.
Old 11-11-14, 04:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
.3 sec behind an M4 that weighs 400# less and had carbon ceramic brakes on Streets of Willow isnt convincing enough? I knew the M wil be a better track car how much much better? I certain didnt expect it to be that close. Look how difficult the M was to drive at the limit in the Head 2 Head video
indeed... and M3 was $13k more expensive with those brakes, with standard ones overheating on the track.
Old 11-11-14, 04:47 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Looks like the RC-F is a better all round car than the M4.

Can match or even beat the M4 on the track.

More comfortable to own as a daily driver.

Probably more reliable.

Looks more special than the nondescript M4, which looks far too similar to a 328I.
And low and behold....it actually matched the 0-60 time of a 3.9 of the M4 with Road and Track's driver.

Quick Reply: RCF is Faster than the M4 and Audi RS5 on a Closed Track