RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 10:08 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RC F vs GT-R

First of all I like the exterior design of the RC-F and the terrific V8 sound. But the GT-R has the super car status. Both cars are capable of DD driving, GT-R may have a slightly advantage with the AWD capability specially during the winter.

There is a huge discount running on the 2014 GT-R right now. For a difference of 5-6K in price it is hard for me not to consider the GT-R.
Old 10-12-14, 10:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Lexus is more DDable than the GTR. GTR is a bit rough, noisy, and the maintenance is going to be a lot more than the RCF but cant argue with its performance. So dealers are selling 2014 GTRs for high 80s? They are suppose to MSRP around 100k
Old 10-12-14, 12:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by waynesreef
First of all I like the exterior design of the RC-F and the terrific V8 sound. But the GT-R has the super car status. Both cars are capable of DD driving, GT-R may have a slightly advantage with the AWD capability specially during the winter.

There is a huge discount running on the 2014 GT-R right now. For a difference of 5-6K in price it is hard for me not to consider the GT-R.
try them both when possible and let us know your thoughts.
Old 10-12-14, 12:11 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

performance 1st - gtr

performance 2nd but luxury 1st - rc-f

both at the same time - m3/m4
Old 10-12-14, 01:11 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
performance 1st - gtr

performance 2nd but luxury 1st - rc-f

both at the same time - m3/m4
GT-R stomps and pisses on both Ms and F performance wise.
Old 10-12-14, 03:13 PM
waynesreef
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
try them both when possible and let us know your thoughts.
I am going for a test drive on the GT-R tomorrow night.
Old 10-12-14, 03:18 PM
waynesreef
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Lexus is more DDable than the GTR. GTR is a bit rough, noisy, and the maintenance is going to be a lot more than the RCF but cant argue with its performance. So dealers are selling 2014 GTRs for high 80s? They are suppose to MSRP around 100k
The best deal I have seen so far is 85k for a brand new 2014 GT-R black edition with the original MSRP listed 110k.
Old 10-12-14, 03:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

as fast as the GTR is, doesnt seem to interest me anymore. Everytime I see one now I dont really care. Drove one at Exotics Racing in Vegas, didnt feel much from the car, a bit boring. Rather have RCF because of NA V8, newer, more rare, despite that its slower. If i wanted something new and fast, it would be the Z06
Old 10-12-14, 04:37 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Super fast? Of course, but plenty of issues.

The most common owner remark is the car does not seem to come alive. Why? You need to commit near prison time traffic violations to get at the inaccessible power in the car.

The car exhibits weight transfer issues on corners under load which can create real driver fear and control concerns. For a car that cost $105,000 for entry...yes, that is the price, it is totally under built. The interior just looks cheap, the LEDs on the front were an afterthought, and the design is wanting. The clutch is clunky, and the sound system is in need of an upgrade as are many components that would better befit a car selling for well into the 6 digits.

Two new GTRs were traded in this year at the local Lexus dealership. They were between 3-5 months old, and both drivers drove away with ISFs. They were both highly disappointed with the car, and they were not weekend track warriors.

The majority of us will never tap what is really inaccessible speed in this car. Where is the value in having this car as a DD--the speed?

With this said, have at it if you live in a region when the roads are wide open and the smokies are sleeping behind the billboards.
Old 10-12-14, 05:18 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Way to very different cars. My friend just picked up a new 2014 GTR (not a BE) for $81K. That's the lowest I have seen. They were running crazy deals and it took a bit of negotiating.
Old 10-12-14, 06:32 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
Way to very different cars. My friend just picked up a new 2014 GTR (not a BE) for $81K. That's the lowest I have seen. They were running crazy deals and it took a bit of negotiating.
Oddly low...why such a discount?
Old 10-12-14, 07:15 PM
waynesreef
Rookie

Just the thought of GT-R come on top amount the rest of super cars will put a grin on my face. In comparison to the rest of cars in the video below, I don't think the GT-R would rate last as a DD driving vehicle.

Old 10-12-14, 07:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Oddly low...why such a discount?
Old news now. For the last 3 years, Nissan has been struggling hard to move the GTRs despite aggressive updates every year. It is actually the slowest selling car in the US right now with the most number of days on the lot. It was one the 10 worst selling cars of 2013. That is why they are giving heavy discounts just to move the inventory.

Problem here is, the competition in the price range. It is getting killed by other cars similarly priced that might not be as fast, but are much more exciting and more rewarding cars to drive.

Originally Posted by waynesreef
Just the thought of GT-R come on top amount the rest of super cars will put a grin on my face. In comparison to the rest of cars in the video below, I don't think the GT-R would rate last as a DD driving vehicle.

That is just an entertainment video. It has no real life relevance. The surface is dusty and an old runway giving advantage to AWD cars because the RWD cars don't hook up as well with the launch favouring AWD.

In real world, it is all about testing real power of the car through rolling start races. Most of those cars kill the GTR from a rolling start. The trap speed is the best indicator that once past the first 60 feet, Nissan GTR is actually accelerating much slower than other cars.

Here is a 12 second BMW M5 hanging even with a Nissan GTR from a rolling start.

Or how badly a stock 458 Italia kills the GTR

Or how a modified GTR getting beaten by a stock SLS AMG

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-12-14 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 08:21 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

These roll races mean nothing. I can post more videos with the GT-R annihilating the competition from a dig and the track.. But not doing it as this thread is about the GT-R vs the RC-F. They say the 2015 models are more refined and a little quieter. I have yet to test drive that year model GT-R. As a potential buyer, I am putting equal emphasis on performance and refinement/luxury, so I give the advantage to the RC-F.
Old 10-12-14, 08:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
These roll races mean nothing. I can post more videos with the GT-R annihilating the competition from a dig and the track.. But not doing it as this thread is about the GT-R vs the RC-F. They say the 2015 models are more refined and a little quieter. I have yet to test drive that year model GT-R. As a potential buyer, I am putting equal emphasis on performance and refinement/luxury, so I give the advantage to the RC-F.
Regardless of what you think, majority of the real world races happening from a rolling start. None of the hot laps are done from a standing start. Almost all of them start from a flying start. Even the timed Nurburgring laps start with a flying lap.

GTR in a straight, might be a great 0 - 60 mph car with the AWD traction, but the acceleration rate falls rapidly once it gets past 70 mph. That is what those roll races (and its relatively weak trap speed) demonstrate.

My whole point was, Nissan GTR sales have been dismal at best despite aggressive updates every year because people choose to buy a Stingray or Porsche 911 for the same price because people writing the cheques choose to take driving excitement over the 0-60 mph bragging rights.

Compared to the RC-F, the interior of the GTR, comfort and luxury is where the RC-F truly outshines it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-12-14 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: RC F vs GT-R