RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus Considering More Potent RC F Variant

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 07:13 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I come from road racing motorcycles. Cars, for the most part, are really slow. I was riding 8 and 9 second 1/4 mile bikes in 1990 because I worked in a shop building the engines for them. My fully street legal bike ran 11.04 at 126 mph in 1991 with me on it and I'm not small or light. The IS-F does not feel fast to me, nor will the RCF. It doesn't mean there are not fast cars out there - I have friends with APU Supras as quick and much faster than the bikes I built 24 years ago. So I have some pretty hard to beat benchmarks.

I'll test drive an RCF, you can count on that, but I won't expect it to be anything like the Supras of yore. Even they were difficult to tune at first, and impossible to tune with the factory ECM. With the advent of Toyota's own operating system, I really doubt there is any hope for getting more from any Toyota platform without massively breaking functionality because they design so much interdependence into their multitude of ECUs in their late model cars.
I hear you: advancements and set backs.
Old 10-04-14, 05:05 AM
begone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll test drive an RCF, you can count on that, but I won't expect it to be anything like the Supras of yore. Even they were difficult to tune at first, and impossible to tune with the factory ECM. With the advent of Toyota's own operating system, I really doubt there is any hope for getting more from any Toyota platform without massively breaking functionality because they design so much interdependence into their multitude of ECUs in their late model cars.
I'd be really interested in knowing how much more they can get out of this motor. Mercedes had a similar philosophy and hp differential with the naturally aspirated 6.2 L M156 V8, and the different rating in the c63 vs other AMGs, but we're the same engine just detuned.

I hope this is the case and suspect this since I'm not sure how good a competitor a 460-470 hp GSF will be against the E63/M5/RS6...unkess their goal is to only compete with the normal 550/e550/S6 which could be their strategy as well. But then I wouldn't have it the F badge at that point.
Old 10-04-14, 12:32 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by begone
I'd be really interested in knowing how much more they can get out of this motor. Mercedes had a similar philosophy and hp differential with the naturally aspirated 6.2 L M156 V8, and the different rating in the c63 vs other AMGs, but we're the same engine just detuned.

I hope this is the case and suspect this since I'm not sure how good a competitor a 460-470 hp GSF will be against the E63/M5/RS6...unkess their goal is to only compete with the normal 550/e550/S6 which could be their strategy as well. But then I wouldn't have it the F badge at that point.
It's quite possible since the RC-F GT3 is using a modified version of the base RC F’s V8 engine that will push over 540 HP. A street version of this motor would likely have to be dialed back for reliability purposes but there still might be a market for this in the future.
Old 10-04-14, 02:35 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you didn't seriously just said that. so you are saying companies like porsche are so irresponsible for their 911 coz' that car is not each to drive at all. same with all the companies having 600+hp cars
Actually, the 911 has actually been fairly easy to drive from the 996 onwards (except for the GT3, although that's been dialled back a little in the most recent variant). Have to go back to the 993 or earlier for it to actually bite.

If you've driven the 991, it doesn't really scare you at all unless you're REALLY trying hard. A lot of hardcore Porsche enthusiasts have actually complained that it's been made too safe. Porsche's reply has been that it's made the performance more accessible to the vast majority of it's market. It has the GT3/GT2 for the "hardcore" crowd.
Old 10-04-14, 05:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
Actually, the 911 has actually been fairly easy to drive from the 996 onwards (except for the GT3, although that's been dialled back a little in the most recent variant). Have to go back to the 993 or earlier for it to actually bite.

If you've driven the 991, it doesn't really scare you at all unless you're REALLY trying hard. A lot of hardcore Porsche enthusiasts have actually complained that it's been made too safe. Porsche's reply has been that it's made the performance more accessible to the vast majority of it's market. It has the GT3/GT2 for the "hardcore" crowd.
it's definitely a lot easier to drive now, but it's still on the hard side compared to a lot of other brands, simply because of the engine placement. the problem on these cars is you have to really know the limit, otherwise when it goes it really goes, very hard to safe. compared to a lot of other cars where there's more negotiating space.

and don't ever forget the porsche gt
Old 10-04-14, 05:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by begone

i think 500hp is very possible. the question also has to do with reliability. i am sure the engine can go much further, but how soon before major service is needed and what's lexus' cutoff for a production car
Old 10-06-14, 10:36 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they put the power at a resprectable level for this class. Its not hard to get more from this engine. If the gt3 is making 540hp, then thats 70hp more than the street car. Itll be interesting to see what the gt3 version revs to! That may give us an idea of what can be done. Gt3's are pretty close to production in terms of engine, with a few modifications allowed.
Old 10-06-14, 02:30 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i think 500hp is very possible. the question also has to do with reliability. i am sure the engine can go much further, but how soon before major service is needed and what's lexus' cutoff for a production car
Enter BMW world...this is the entire challenge with their engines. They open them up to the nearly the max and what follows is the maintenance horror story.

Yaguchi will only open this up if he uses the right components and materials, and I believe we are now into $100,000 for the car. An Additional $15,000 might be justified if you are racing it. I am not racing my RCF TVD. It's for fun...period.
Old 10-06-14, 02:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

With the right stroke, 5 liters can make 625 hp fairly reliably, but not Lexus reliably. More like Ferrari reliably.

A wise engine builder named John Lingenfelter said many years ago, the first task in building an engine is to decide where in the rpm range it needs to make best torque. Street and race have very different requirements. The more race, the more the torque is narrow and focused on high rpm to deliver the most possible power while still being useful at the track, and without a lot of concern for service life. The more street, the more torque is mid-range, flat, and broad to allow the driver the convenience of not having the engine sound frantic when leisurely pulling away from a stop light and provide a service life with minimal maintenance and warranty claims in excess of 150k miles.

With the advent of all the computer controls over throttlebody and gearbox, the manufacturers can get away with things they would never be able to consider 10 or 15 years ago. People then had to be smart enough to take advantage of what they built. Today, they just need to know how to press on the gas and brake. Engine tuning is more for NVH and emissions control than anything else.

But soon enough we'll all have electric motors and we'll be talking about hotrodding armatures and coils. The good news is electric motors have absolutely flat torque curves, and they have full torque available at zero rpm.
Old 10-06-14, 08:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

With the right stroke, 5 liters can make 625 hp fairly reliably, but not Lexus reliably. More like Ferrari reliably.

A wise engine builder named John Lingenfelter said many years ago, the first task in building an engine is to decide where in the rpm range it needs to make best torque. Street and race have very different requirements. The more race, the more the torque is narrow and focused on high rpm to deliver the most possible power while still being useful at the track, and without a lot of concern for service life. The more street, the more torque is mid-range, flat, and broad to allow the driver the convenience of not having the engine sound frantic when leisurely pulling away from a stop light and provide a service life with minimal maintenance and warranty claims in excess of 150k miles.

With the advent of all the computer controls over throttlebody and gearbox, the manufacturers can get away with things they would never be able to consider 10 or 15 years ago. People then had to be smart enough to take advantage of what they built. Today, they just need to know how to press on the gas and brake. Engine tuning is more for NVH and emissions control than anything else.

But soon enough we'll all have electric motors and we'll be talking about hotrodding armatures and coils. The good news is electric motors have absolutely flat torque curves, and they have full torque available at zero rpm.
This post
Old 10-07-14, 09:37 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Let's hope that we at least have the truly electrifying experience of the V8s for the next decade. I do not see my self driving a Tesla.