RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Wow!!! 4.3 0-60

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 10:40 AM
BMWtoLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow!!! 4.3 0-60

Just saw Motor Trends updated test...improved by .2 seconds to 60.
Old 09-21-14, 10:50 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWtoLEXUS
Just saw Motor Trends updated test...improved by .2 seconds to 60.
LEXUStoBMW

Thanks!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-21-14 at 03:42 PM. Reason: pmd
Old 09-21-14, 03:24 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive, most impressive.
Old 09-21-14, 03:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Anyone knows what the stall limit is for the torque converter on the IS-F?

I remember Lexus promoted in the official press conference that the IS-F having the ability to do hard launches due to a rather high stall limit for the torque converter. I believe it was around 4000 rpm.

Looks to me like Lexus (at least with prototypes) has been discouraging hard launches on the RC-F. I wonder if Lexus has made a high limit available on the RC-F?
Old 09-21-14, 06:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Anyone knows what the stall limit is for the torque converter on the IS-F?

I remember Lexus promoted in the official press conference that the IS-F having the ability to do hard launches due to a rather high stall limit for the torque converter. I believe it was around 4000 rpm.

Looks to me like Lexus (at least with prototypes) has been discouraging hard launches on the RC-F. I wonder if Lexus has made a high limit available on the RC-F?
NOTICE:

Do not perform the stall speed test for longer than 5 seconds.

(a) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(b) Run the vehicle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached 60 to 110°C (140 to 230°F).

(c) Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning and headlights OFF.

(d) Chock all 4 wheels.

(e) Set the parking brake and keep the brake pedal depressed firmly with your left foot.

(f) Move the shift lever to D.

(g) Depress the accelerator pedal as much as possible with your right foot.

(h) Read the engine rpm (stall speed) and release the accelerator pedal immediately.

Standard value:

2225 +/- 150 rpm
Nowhere even close to 4k rpm.
Old 09-21-14, 06:49 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Nowhere even close to 4k rpm.
Thanks.
Old 09-23-14, 09:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://youwheel.com/2014/09/23/produ...art-to-emerge/

http://wot.motortrend.com/1409_lexus...s_clocked.html
Old 09-23-14, 10:03 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

It's MotorTrend's test--hardly definitive and all based on their "desert" run.

The car will achieve and probably exceed the stated Lexus spec of at least a 12.5 quarter mile. Even MotorTrend's desert run produced a 4.3 versus 4.5 0-60--the car spec'd at 4.4.

Way too soon for anyone to view this stuff as definitive results.

And what is it about MotorTrend and their consistently inconsistent numbers for the same car being reviewed? It seems to happen a lot with their coverage.
Old 09-23-14, 10:25 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Not too impressed R&T got 4.2 and 12.6 out of the ISF. I personally cut a 12.5
Old 09-23-14, 10:45 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Not too impressed R&T got 4.2 and 12.6 out of the ISF. I personally cut a 12.5
It speaks to the test. Not the car. MT has highly inconsistent testing methodology. Their own tests on the same car at various times could have over 0.5 seconds variation. It is that terrible.

The RC-F should be quicker than the IS-F by a substantial margin. It has all the advantages in the world (PWR, gearing, torque band etc.) so it is impossible for it to be slower or merely as quick.
Old 09-23-14, 02:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You've seen the official gearing specs for the RCF?
Old 09-23-14, 04:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

You've seen the official gearing specs for the RCF?
I hear you. What we have seen is the conservative spec: 4.4 and 12.5. Even MT ran a 4.3 in the desert. The F drivers know this car is quite capable.

What we also know is that this is a bigger, next-class car with different handling mechanics, improved tranny, TVD, and an incredible next-generation engine.

We all need to give the final production car, yet to appear, the opportunity to perform in consistent testing.

I will be amazed if a great driver cannot drop the 0-60 to 4.1-4.2 and the quarter mile to 12.3. Time can only tell. Again, really, a desert?

Personally, it's got plenty of the right stuff to keep me occupied and engaged, road and track, as a serious driver.

I also doubt that Yaguchi would miss his target.
Old 09-23-14, 04:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The F drivers who have been to the track know the F is good for a heavy sedan. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, and at any track weekend, I am pointing Corvettes (even base models) by with equal drivers. This is where I disagree with the philosophy I see Lexus choosing. If they want the brand known for performance, they need to bring real performance. The idea of "accessible" performance and "too much acceleration scares the novice" are all fine and good if your goal is to appeal to people who don't actually push their cars.

If you do push your car (and I have pushed my F pretty hard) I know in 15 minutes the tires are going to get greasy. I know I have to back off a notch if I want to finish my session without risking an incident.

Why should I have to expect the same from the RCF? I really do expect it to be exactly the same - not capable of full performance for even a 20 minute session in the stock configuration with track oriented brake pads. Just like the IS-F.

And that's where I am disappointed.
Old 09-23-14, 04:44 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

The F drivers who have been to the track know the F is good for a heavy sedan. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, and at any track weekend, I am pointing Corvettes (even base models) by with equal drivers. This is where I disagree with the philosophy I see Lexus choosing. If they want the brand known for performance, they need to bring real performance. The idea of "accessible" performance and "too much acceleration scares the novice" are all fine and good if your goal is to appeal to people who don't actually push their cars.

If you do push your car (and I have pushed my F pretty hard) I know in 15 minutes the tires are going to get greasy. I know I have to back off a notch if I want to finish my session without risking an incident.

Why should I have to expect the same from the RCF? I really do expect it to be exactly the same - not capable of full performance for even a 20 minute session in the stock configuration with track oriented brake pads. Just like the IS-F.

And that's where I am disappointed.
I recognize that. It clearly is not the next ISF for the track, nor do I think it was meant to be the top of class track car. In many ways, it seems like a road/ track hybrid designed to fulfill the needs of a broader spectrum of drivers. It's a different car designed for a different mission.

The prototypes were driven all day. Sure, buy day end, the cars were smoking hot. I am not sure it is fair to expect any of the cars in the class to perform for that duration of time, IMO. Even an over driven M4 on the track is going to exhibit undesirable characteristics.

We are leaping into a set of perameters for a race car. Either by design or reliability, none of the cars in the RCF class has everything that it takes to run the perfect race.
Old 09-23-14, 04:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I don't want to run a race. I'd buy a real race car if I wanted that. I want a 20 minute session without having to back off. That's all. It's the whole reason I put 245/275 tires on my F. Longer into the session before I have the car say uncle.

Quick Reply: Wow!!! 4.3 0-60