RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs C63

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 01:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys let's stop the personal commentary and keep the discussion on the vehicles.
Originally Posted by billdwong
I certainly don't think that I would represent myself as superior simply if I were to account for every third post to a section of an internet forum.
billdwong, please exit this thread. If you choose to participate in other conversations on CL, I'll expect you not to continue the rude personal comments.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-04-14 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-04-14, 08:53 AM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
I agree with you on that. But history and tradition often comes with something else : experience.

Why does Mb S class outsell cars like LS, BMW 7 or Audi A8 by at least 10 times around the world. Its not like its cheaper or something. The answer is simple , its the best car in the world. Why is it the best car ? Experience.

Let´s go to sports cars.

Why does BMW M3 or AMG C63 outsell IS-F and maybe RC-F ? Customers are fooled by the brand history ? Well, if history in reality doesn´t mean so much it simply means.... ooouuchhh I think its better ( at least for the atmosphere is this thread ) that we stick to the history and heritage theory.

No, honestly. History and tradition of an premium product can´t be ignored. It equals knowledge. Apparently, the sales of MB A and B class has not affected the S class at all. Much cheaper products is a different story. My neighbour drives a VW 1,4 diesel with like 75 hp He does not care a bit about history and tradition when it comes to cars, he wants to get to work every day at as a low cost as possible. But he actually resembles the average car buyer. You buy what you need, nothing more, nothing less.
Those market segments are on the fringes. Those vehicles dominate those respective classes but, they account for a drop in the bucket in terms of sales volume.

And this is where the Germans have wised up. The knowledge they're relying on now isn't history and tradition, its the knowledge that the market is changing. They're now diluting their brands so that they can capture the emerging segment that wants the panache of a German car but can't afford to step to a C class, 3 series, or A4. The problem is the product they're selling in the CLS, A3, etc. are inferior in every way to their other offerings. Once people start catching on to this, you'll see this market segment evaporate quicker than the market segment for japanese sports coupes in the late 90s. So in the long run they would have diluted the brand and lose this market segment.
Old 10-11-14, 02:01 PM
kponti
Driver

Originally Posted by TheBatman
Those market segments are on the fringes. Those vehicles dominate those respective classes but, they account for a drop in the bucket in terms of sales volume.

And this is where the Germans have wised up. The knowledge they're relying on now isn't history and tradition, its the knowledge that the market is changing. They're now diluting their brands so that they can capture the emerging segment that wants the panache of a German car but can't afford to step to a C class, 3 series, or A4. The problem is the product they're selling in the CLS, A3, etc. are inferior in every way to their other offerings. Once people start catching on to this, you'll see this market segment evaporate quicker than the market segment for japanese sports coupes in the late 90s. So in the long run they would have diluted the brand and lose this market segment.
The Germans have done no such thing as "wised up" Their cars are getting more and more expensive, in fact so expensive there is room to put even cheaper alternatives such as the 1 series, A3 and CLA models. They are also getting cheaper to build (check out all the parts being shared across brands and platforms). And if you think the current millennial folks are not even more materialistic and will over extend themselves to buy the Mercedes, BMW or Audi brands you are kidding yourself. Mercedes, BMW and Audi's are selling in record numbers (possibly part reason for their atrocious resale values) despite their ever increasing prices.
Old 10-11-14, 04:25 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBatman

Some of this will be an uphill battle as the millennials are not buying cars, and for that matter, homes.

I question how deep the market segment will be for the C, 3, and A4 in the near term.
Old 10-16-14, 03:59 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
I agree with you on that. But history and tradition often comes with something else : experience.

Why does Mb S class outsell cars like LS, BMW 7 or Audi A8 by at least 10 times around the world. Its not like its cheaper or something. The answer is simple , its the best car in the world. Why is it the best car ? Experience.

Let´s go to sports cars.

Why does BMW M3 or AMG C63 outsell IS-F and maybe RC-F ? Customers are fooled by the brand history ? Well, if history in reality doesn´t mean so much it simply means.... ooouuchhh I think its better ( at least for the atmosphere is this thread ) that we stick to the history and heritage theory.

No, honestly. History and tradition of an premium product can´t be ignored. It equals knowledge. Apparently, the sales of MB A and B class has not affected the S class at all. Much cheaper products is a different story. My neighbour drives a VW 1,4 diesel with like 75 hp He does not care a bit about history and tradition when it comes to cars, he wants to get to work every day at as a low cost as possible. But he actually resembles the average car buyer. You buy what you need, nothing more, nothing less.
I can't agree with you more. History, tradition and heritage are crucial factors when considering a certain brand. For example, Lexus is historically known to produce reliable and dependable vehicles. And this tradition translates in a lot of loyal and new customers. On the other hand, Lexus has never been seriously considered as a manufacturer producing great sports cars. This has changed recently as Lexus tried to bring some true high performance vehicles to the market but there are a lot of people still don't take Lexus seriously. The only big advantage over the Germans that Lexus has is the reliability. In terms of true performance Germans still far ahead than Lexus. And that includes up coming C63.
Old 10-17-14, 09:46 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I can't agree with you more. History, tradition and heritage are crucial factors when considering a certain brand. For example, Lexus is historically known to produce reliable and dependable vehicles. And this tradition translates in a lot of loyal and new customers. On the other hand, Lexus has never been seriously considered as a manufacturer producing great sports cars. This has changed recently as Lexus tried to bring some true high performance vehicles to the market but there are a lot of people still don't take Lexus seriously. The only big advantage over the Germans that Lexus has is the reliability. In terms of true performance Germans still far ahead than Lexus. And that includes up coming C63.
We as a group, whether on the left or right, tend to throw out lots of assumptions about the perception of cars in the market place.

Lexus has produced two serious entries, the ISF and LFA, and they are now disrupting the "perception" of what a true high-performance car should be for the modern driver. Lots of folks will disagree with the philosophy behind this car, just as I disagree with the philosophy behind many German cars.

Time will sort all of this out. For the time being, history is being made as we speak, and Lexus is one of the companies redefining high performance and its accessibility by non-race car drivers. No doubt, 90+% of the individuals in this club fall into this category--the buying public.

A fire-breathing, tire smoking, asphalt eating car is great, and we certainly have a significant part of this in the new RCF, but we also have the parts that make this car highly driveable, beautiful, reliable, and accessible.

I predict the sales of this car will even surprise Lexus by surpassing their production targets. They've manage to strike a magical cord, IMO.