Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Pretty much LOL
Old 09-08-14, 07:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
^^no, not at all. I'm unhappy I got neither of the two things most important to me. If you're going to cripple the car by fixing the alignment and making only toe adjustable, why can't it at least show up in the lighter weigh column? If you've built one of the most exotic road going sports cars and learned massive amounts about how to use carbon fiber, and even built custom looms to make this possible, why can't we get a car of equal weight to the IS-F?

As one of the people who actually DOES take his car to the track, wouldn't it be nice to run a full 20 minute session without having to back off a notch because the RE050As or PS2 are getting greasy?

Yaguchi said of the IS-F "I wanted to build a car as fun to drive on lap 10 as it is on lap 1." I expected the RCF to take this to the next level. It will be hard pressed to make the next level with the configuration they offer today. Maybe in 5 years, just like the IS-F, they will find the next level with small changes over time. I hope so.
After seeing that M4 has no hood insulation at all, I am pretty sure that these two vehicles are targeting two different markets completely.

And they will likely feel like two completely different vehicles. Not to mention that RC-F is not a 2 door IS at all, but 1/3 GS, 1/3 IS and 1/3 IS-C.

Of course, another thing is that all of the reviews that people are mentioning here say that IS-F wasnt that good car and that RC-F is a LOT better.

Another point of the M4 that everyone keeps sticking to - "fake" weights... According to bimmerpost, people have tested fully optioned M4 to be over 3600lbs with full fluids and that BMW's ads about 3300lbs were all fake lies with models never available anywhere (base models without fluid), with actual car being +300lbs heavier. On the other hand, Lexus told us RC-F weight 8 months ago. Sure, it does not help that journos are stupid and that they think how there is 700lbs difference.

We had NX previews few weeks back. US journalists were given very small number for trunk size. Euro journalists were given very large number for trunk size. It is same trunk, same car, no differences. US journalists claimed how the car has really bad trunk and by the far worst in the class and Euro journalists claimed how trunk was biggest in the class and really great. Both sets of journos even supplied they own pics of the same trunk, pointing out how small/big it was.

Moral of the story - wait until you drive the vehicle.
Old 09-08-14, 07:56 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
After seeing that M4 has no hood insulation at all, I am pretty sure that these two vehicles are targeting two different markets completely.

And they will likely feel like two completely different vehicles. Not to mention that RC-F is not a 2 door IS at all, but 1/3 GS, 1/3 IS and 1/3 IS-C.

Of course, another thing is that all of the reviews that people are mentioning here say that IS-F wasnt that good car and that RC-F is a LOT better.

Another point of the M4 that everyone keeps sticking to - "fake" weights... According to bimmerpost, people have tested fully optioned M4 to be over 3600lbs with full fluids and that BMW's ads about 3300lbs were all fake lies with models never available anywhere (base models without fluid), with actual car being +300lbs heavier. On the other hand, Lexus told us RC-F weight 8 months ago. Sure, it does not help that journos are stupid and that they think how there is 700lbs difference.

We had NX previews few weeks back. US journalists were given very small number for trunk size. Euro journalists were given very large number for trunk size. It is same trunk, same car, no differences. US journalists claimed how the car has really bad trunk and by the far worst in the class and Euro journalists claimed how trunk was biggest in the class and really great. Both sets of journos even supplied they own pics of the same trunk, pointing out how small/big it was.

Moral of the story - wait until you drive the vehicle.
+1
Old 09-09-14, 04:10 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Last time I checked RC-F makes a solid 51 more horsepower. That is a big difference.
Guarantee that the numbers are MUCH closer on a dyno. The M3/4's are putting down over 400/400, at the wheels. I know the RC-F won't match the tq numbers...and probably not the hp numbers, either.
Old 09-09-14, 07:01 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
Guarantee that the numbers are MUCH closer on a dyno. The M3/4's are putting down over 400/400, at the wheels. I know the RC-F won't match the tq numbers...and probably not the hp numbers, either.
The comparison is between IS-F and RC-F. Re-read what he said and my correction to it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-09-14 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-09-14, 07:09 AM
Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After having 2 IS-F and never having any issues or any overnite shop visits,it will be a RC-F for me
Old 09-09-14, 07:23 AM
Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going summit point raceway on Oct 1, the running of the bull's to see for myself
Old 09-09-14, 09:13 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
This whole promotion for press seems to be a disaster with prototypes.

Lexus went about it the wrong way. They forgot to do the most important thing - just sell the car! (overconfidence?)

When I first found out about this event, my first question for JoeZ was "is Scott Pruett going to be there to give people rides around Monticello?" Obviously, that was not the case. Lexus needed to bring Justin Bell and Scott Pruett to truly demonstrate the capabilities of the car and sell it to perspective customers.

It does not matter even if they are ex race car drivers. There was a story of pro race car driver Randy Pobst getting scared and intimidated by the LFA's oversteering behavior and tail swinging wildly when he pushed it to its limit to get the 1:36 lap time at Laguna Seca and then Justin Bell took Pobst around Laguna Seca and MT was blown away at how masterfully he controlled the LFA making it dance at his finger tips even at the extreme limits.

Point is, nothing beats having proper seat time behind a car and learning where its limits are and how to control the car at its limits. Lexus needed to have an RC-F expert to demonstrate how to extract the best out of it and it would have sold everyone who rode shotgun with these pro drivers.
totally agree man, they should hire you as a marketing consultant............. iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidiots
Old 09-09-14, 04:09 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
totally agree man, they should hire you as a marketing consultant............. iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidiots
I agree with the remark. One only needs to look at the video with the English helmeted driver to see that he was scared sh_tless when pressing the RCF with the system unrestrained.

With this said, I like the wild beast.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-10-14 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-09-14, 04:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

C&D Lightning Lap showed up in the mail. The RCF release was far too late for inclusion. I look forward to seeing how the RCF stacks up in the next one. C&D had high praise for the IS350 F Sport, and it set a time even quicker than the 2008 ISF. Lots of commentary about how much more solid this chassis is compared to the 2IS, and a 3:13.3 isn't a bad showing at all for a car with the worst hp/weight ratio in the class.

Sadly, the Z-28 Camaro, a $75,000 car, was able to lap VIR in 2:50.9 (9.8 seconds quicker than M4). M4's showing was 5 seconds a lap quicker than the M3 at 3:00.7 (so much for them being "equal" for testing purposes), and the new Corvette mopped the floor with the BMW at 2:53.8. Oh wait, new Corvette? Yes, the Stingray; no, not some special hot rodded Vette, MSRP as tested $65,665 (but it did mysteriously die at the track - supposedly oil contamination). This is right where the RCF should be too, but we'll just have to wait and see.

So that was a long winded way to say, no, I would never consider owning the M4 for any reason. But I might visit a Chevrolet dealer just for fun.
Old 09-09-14, 05:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

going to be hard to compare the new laptimes because they repaved the track and added some extra run offs
Old 09-09-14, 05:16 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
going to be hard to compare the new laptimes because they repaved the track and added some extra run offs

The RCF running laps...someone is having fun--a very promising experience. Can't wait!
Old 09-10-14, 12:05 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
C&D Lightning Lap showed up in the mail. The RCF release was far too late for inclusion. I look forward to seeing how the RCF stacks up in the next one. C&D had high praise for the IS350 F Sport, and it set a time even quicker than the 2008 ISF. Lots of commentary about how much more solid this chassis is compared to the 2IS, and a 3:13.3 isn't a bad showing at all for a car with the worst hp/weight ratio in the class.

Sadly, the Z-28 Camaro, a $75,000 car, was able to lap VIR in 2:50.9 (9.8 seconds quicker than M4). M4's showing was 5 seconds a lap quicker than the M3 at 3:00.7 (so much for them being "equal" for testing purposes), and the new Corvette mopped the floor with the BMW at 2:53.8. Oh wait, new Corvette? Yes, the Stingray; no, not some special hot rodded Vette, MSRP as tested $65,665 (but it did mysteriously die at the track - supposedly oil contamination). This is right where the RCF should be too, but we'll just have to wait and see.

So that was a long winded way to say, no, I would never consider owning the M4 for any reason. But I might visit a Chevrolet dealer just for fun.
The new IS350 F-Sport is down 100hp from the ISF yet runs a faster lap? That right there is objective proof how much Lexus chassis engineering has improved by leaps and bounds.
Old 09-10-14, 12:19 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't be surpised if BMW is stating false numbers for the weight of the m4

- Just like how their MPG numbers are truly inflated and unrealistic

And no hood insulation? LOL horrible!
Old 09-10-14, 06:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I wouldn't be surpised if BMW is stating false numbers for the weight of the m4

- Just like how their MPG numbers are truly inflated and unrealistic

And no hood insulation? LOL horrible!
BMW has official weight of almost 3600 on their website. People have weighed some of their stripper builds and got to low 3500s with full gas

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-10-14 at 06:36 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else rethinking their order?