RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone else rethinking their order?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 08:57 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
My biggest disappointment with the RCF is that PERFORMANCE wise, it would practically be a lateral move by ISF owners, .
Ah, I now understand. I see that too in that the new IS has pretty much the same numbers as my 2010. 306 hp, same paddle shifters etc just a different skin & interior. Then one could say they left money on the table by not wowing the current owners of the ISF. Gotcha.
Old 09-06-14, 09:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Ah, I now understand. I see that too in that the new IS has pretty much the same numbers as my 2010. 306 hp, same paddle shifters etc just a different skin & interior. Then one could say they left money on the table by not wowing the current owners of the ISF. Gotcha.
But I think this illustrates the point. Yes the new IS has pretty much the same numbers as your 2010. But on the road the new IS will absolutely blow your 2010 away. The differences in handling, rigidity, etc are really really significant. The only people who would dispute that are people that:

1. Have not driven a 2014 IS and a 2010 IS.
2. Have a 2010 IS and aren't being real about how much better a drivers car the new IS is.

I have a sneaking suspicion its going to be the same way when comparing the IS-F and the RC-F. On paper maybe it won't wow you, but the only people who are going to be disputing that are people that:

1. Have not driven an RC-F and an IS-F.
2. Have an IS-F and aren't being real about how much better a drivers car the RC-F is.

Given how much better the 3IS is than the 2IS, and how much better the 4GS is than the 3GS I would be absolutely astonished if the RC-F was not at least that much better than the IS-F behind the wheel.

Power figures, 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times only take you so far.
Old 09-06-14, 10:14 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
But I think this illustrates the point. Yes the new IS has pretty much the same numbers as your 2010. But on the road the new IS will absolutely blow your 2010 away. The differences in handling, rigidity, etc are really really significant. The only people who would dispute that are people that:

1. Have not driven a 2014 IS and a 2010 IS.
2. Have a 2010 IS and aren't being real about how much better a drivers car the new IS is.

I have a sneaking suspicion its going to be the same way when comparing the IS-F and the RC-F. On paper maybe it won't wow you, but the only people who are going to be disputing that are people that:

1. Have not driven an RC-F and an IS-F.
2. Have an IS-F and aren't being real about how much better a drivers car the RC-F is.

Given how much better the 3IS is than the 2IS, and how much better the 4GS is than the 3GS I would be absolutely astonished if the RC-F was not at least that much better than the IS-F behind the wheel.

Power figures, 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times only take you so far.
Well said. Till then I'll raise one to the RFC....
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else rethinking their order?-vodka_shot.jpg  
Old 09-06-14, 10:35 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

heres my 2c
my ISF is on the market to make way for the RCF
i was sold on the RCF untill the weight came in
im giving another chance to the F brand for the GSF
if not im moving camps for my performance cars
Old 09-06-14, 10:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

So that's it, no interest in driving the car for yourself?
Old 09-06-14, 11:06 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

So that's it, no interest in driving the car for yourself?
at the end of the day
you can not beat physics
a car cannot be a handling machine with that sort of weight
i really coudlnt care less about power that much
the ISF was already heavy
but adding more weight to that is just ridiculous
i dunno how to put this but i actually feel betrayed by lexus atm
they put so much hype into this thing and initla stats just fail
a heavy car will feel like a heavy car and go through consumables like a heavy car should
you just can not beat physics
Old 09-07-14, 04:21 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing with the RCF is that it's a LEXUS

-meaning that luxury, refinement and RELIABILITY are not compromised!

10yrs down the line the RC will still feel, look and drive like new.
Old 09-07-14, 05:51 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
heres my 2c
my ISF is on the market to make way for the RCF
i was sold on the RCF untill the weight came in
im giving another chance to the F brand for the GSF
if not im moving camps for my performance cars
I am a LOYAL ISF owner and just bought the RCF.

You need to move beyond this obsession with weight concerns. You know this car is going to outperform, stock for stock, what we current have. The steering dynamics and TVR are what is missing in the current model. You can see in the Nurburgring video that it corners unlike the current ISF.

Just cool your afterburner until you see what competent drivers and reputable pros do with the car.

If you want to talk about heavy, wait until the GSF weight in. With that said, if you want a wild bronco, shift the brand gear. If you want the best overall performance in the class, tattoo another F on your arm.
Old 09-07-14, 05:54 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Its still incredible to me that someone would order the car and then cancel that order based on a few reviews without even driving it first LOL
Let's face it: the majority of the "reviewers" were hardly pressing the car to its limits. And rightfully so, it is a car that takes some time to understand and master.

Most of what we are reading is impressions. Again, I keep returning to all of the Youtube Nurburgring mule videos to see what the RCF really got.
Old 09-07-14, 05:57 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When Yaguchi sat down for the question and answer session with MT I believe, he stated that the RC F was not benchmarked with any other car on the road. He built this car his way and made it a drivable car for someone simply going to work or someone who wants to track it also. He has appeared to have accomplished this with this car. As far as the weight goes, I don't think its that big of a deal, to me a car feels more solid with some weight. I have an IS 350 F and it feels like its glued to the road when driving it, if you took a few hundred pounds it probably wouldn't feel the same way.
As far as the hype goes I think most of it came from this forum and not from Lexus. As far as I know Lexus never said this car would beat anything at the track. I know the majority here wants this car to beat the dreaded M4, and it still may we don't know yet until they line up side by side with the same conditions.

at the end of the day
you can not beat physics
a heavy car will feel like a heavy car and go through consumables like a heavy car should
Old 09-07-14, 06:09 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Furge
Why do you guys think that these preproduction cars are slower? Who said that?
Don't delude yourselves, Lexus did not give slower cars to the reviewers!

The car is really really heavy, and the V8, while nostalgic and great sounding, will never match a modern turbo for torque and horsepower.
These are preprod cars, and the final will have adjustments. With that said, that will not improve the reviews driving skills--the majority of which are not modern and current icons in the driving world. They are largely pencil pushers they to make "news."

Get over the weight... It's faster and better handling that the current F. Have you experienced the current F? Do you know what I am talking about?

I can assure you, if you log some days driving an F and come back, your entire opinion of the F class will change. Conjecture on your part has little meaning in this content. You are making mental leaps and drawing unconfirmed conclusions.

The ISF is an awesome accomplishment for Lexus--the RCF will be that much better...with or without a couple of hundred pounds.

The RCF numbers ARE the numbers...and they are quite appealing at this point to those you are buying the car--buyers like me.

Does anyone expect Lexus to produce a car that approaches the metrics of the LFA for a fifth of the price, i.e., $83-85k versus $400k? It's just not going to happen.

If you want a snorting bull that kicks up the road and spouts fire, go buy a Lamborghini.
Old 09-07-14, 06:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the weight is on par with other V8 coupes like C63 AMG 507 and Audi RS5
Old 09-07-14, 07:04 AM
Furge
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at the end of the day
you can not beat physics
Well said.
And let's not forget one thing - CARBON FIBER!
Where is the carbon fiber? Where are the take aways and trickle down from the LFA?!

BMW has delivered an entirely new CF based body for the i3. They can sell that at a profit at about half the cost of the RC F.

Let's face it, It's a half-assed job that Lexus did on the RC F, and they will pay for it in sales.

There is absolutely no excuse for a 2015 MY year, that remember lexus will probably sell for 7-8 years, to weight MORE than the previous generation. Not in this day and age, when Toyota has so much carbon fiber experience, and so much money.

Don't be lured by false advertising.
I'll happily buy the RC F when it weighs less than the M, is just as fast, and is more practical on the road. Until then, I'd rather put up with some reliability issues from a BMW.
Old 09-07-14, 07:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

anyone who thought this would weigh less than a ISF was dreaming. RCF is longer, wider, wider wheels and tires, and has a TVD. Sounds resonable for a 150-200# gain. Where was the false advertising, Lexus already had prelim 3958# figure back in their January press release. Then people act all surprised and outraged? At least they didnt straight up mislead people like BMW did with the M3/M4 3300# weight. When it was more like 3600 with DCT.
Old 09-07-14, 07:53 AM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISF001
I am a LOYAL ISF owner and just bought the RCF.

You need to move beyond this obsession with weight concerns. You know this car is going to outperform, stock for stock, what we current have. The steering dynamics and TVR are what is missing in the current model. You can see in the Nurburgring video that it corners unlike the current ISF.

Just cool your afterburner until you see what competent drivers and reputable pros do with the car.

If you want to talk about heavy, wait until the GSF weight in. With that said, if you want a wild bronco, shift the brand gear. If you want the best overall performance in the class, tattoo another F on your arm.
i too am a loyal lexus fan
hence the let down is greater
i was expecting alot for the next gen F
in stop form the ISF isnt that great in the handling deparment it in the last model runs they got better
move beyond obsession with the weight?
its a fact
a heavy car can not outperform a lighter car with similar power
the rcf now seems to be relying on electronics to do all the work
when did a drivers car become a computer controlling wheels?
turn off all the electronic aids and you have a heavy car that can not defy physics
it might handle well for its weight and power
but it will always never come close to a car that ligher with equal power and equal chassis technology

And talking about being planted on the road
weight is not the only factor that makes a car planted or feel planted its actually more of a supporting factor
its a combionation of suspension calibration and aero and such would u say a lotus elise or even a FRS or BRZ feels sketchy at speeds?

at the end of the day the car has grown fatter with much tech gear
as one of the members stated before its now heavy as a RS5 or the C63
but they do have more power

Quick Reply: Anyone else rethinking their order?