RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs M4

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 03:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Re3iRtH
Are you guys serious with this? If only 0-60 times mattered, not a single person would buy an LFA. Yet there was a 3 year waiting list to maybe get a chance to buy one.

That's for new cars. A used low mileage is350 is quite a few more 0.1s faster than a new is250 for a third the price
i don't care much about 0-60, but i hope you aren't serious about the 3 year wait list on lfa. just look at how many new unregistered lfa are for sale now
Old 09-22-14, 03:18 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I donīt care a bit for 0-60 times anymore , that was maybe important back in the 80ties when a sportscar went from 0-60 in 6-7 seconds. Thatīs like to measure hard disk space on a computer in MB.

Today itīs more like 0-125 mph or faster when it comes to cars like Ferrari or Lambo, and at least 100 mph for RC-F. Then you get a much wider picture of its true engine performance. The 0-60 sprint is in reality 99% about grip the first 10-15 feet of the acceleration phase.
Old 09-22-14, 03:22 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't care much about 0-60, but i hope you aren't serious about the 3 year wait list on lfa. just look at how many new unregistered lfa are for sale now
Really? http://www.zerotohundred.com/2012/co...old-worldwide/

Old 09-22-14, 04:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so you just proved yourself wrong? even if 10 unsold, what wait list are we talking about? here in the US there has never been a wait list. a lot of cars were sold after they were allocated and sat in dealerships for months.
Old 09-22-14, 04:10 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is very common for dealerships to have their exotic cars on display for years and then resale later. This is the case for many of the LFAs, since they were leased only for the first two years. I know personally that Lexus of Westminster down the street from me did it and still does. They have a red one in the showroom. When it's not, it's because the dealer owner is taking it out with dealer plate. Often to give his regular clients or friends a ride around town. I have seen him giving clients rides all the time.
Here are the benefits:
1. Wow factor for the showroom
2. More traffic to the dealers
3. Tax write off for dealer on whatever potential lost
4. Owner of dealer can drive it around as his own car and use it as a dealer's tax write off
5. Pleases his big clients by giving them rides

You can find unregistered Carrera GTs on eBay from time to time still, for the same reason

Last edited by MK4Sup_isF; 09-22-14 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 04:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
It is very common for dealerships to have their exotic cars on display for years and then resale later. This is the case for many of the LFAs, since they were leased only for the first two years. I know personally that Lexus of Westminster down the street from me did it and still does. They have a red one in the showroom. When it's not, it's because the dealer owner is taking it out with dealer plate. Often to give his regular clients or friends a ride around town. I have seen him giving clients rides all the time.
Here are the benefits:
1. Wow factor for the showroom
2. More traffic to the dealers
3. Tax write off for dealer on whatever potential lost
4. Owner of dealer can drive it around as his own car and use it as a dealer's tax write off
5. Pleases his big clients by giving them rides

You can find unregistered Carrera GTs on eBay from time to time still, for the same reason
i guess you don't know the bunch of lfa that lexus PUSHED to dealerships instead of dealership owners ordering them then.

i have all love on the lfa, but the sale of the car in the US was just far from impressive. they had a lot of trouble selling all 178 lfa here in the US, period. they couldn't fill all the orders, cars had to be built, so they were built and pushed to dealerships.
Old 09-22-14, 05:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

i guess you don't know the bunch of lfa that lexus PUSHED to dealerships instead of dealership owners ordering them then.

i have all love on the lfa, but the sale of the car in the US was just far from impressive. they had a lot of trouble selling all 178 lfa here in the US, period. they couldn't fill all the orders, cars had to be built, so they were built and pushed to dealerships.
I think I have talked about it before in the LFA forum. You should check Dupont Registry and there are only 10 LFAs are for sale.

Maybe, initially they were sold to the dealerships and there is no shame in that since majority of the 599 GTO were sold to dealerships initially. What matters is, now majority of the 178 are off the market. Whether they were sold in the US, exported to Canada or Europe, is another debate.

To put things in context, generally Dupont registry is heavily used for exotic sales. You will find pages after pages of Aventadors, 458 Italias for sale.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/results/lexus/lfa
Old 09-22-14, 05:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

As would any manufacturer selling rides for $400,000--a piece of change for any exec to spend on a joy ride...honestly.

Lexus was smart here. The LFA and the RCF will generation lots of noise or brand amplification. Lexus will annually sell 7,500 RCs and 7,500 RC F-sports because of the F brand in the market place.

They are making no profit on the LFA and I believe little on the RCF. These cars are a marketing investment that will continue to payoff in brand sales. They are outselling the competition--Mercedes--and coming on strong to BMW.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-22-14 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 07:31 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

How many is a bunch? From all I can see on eBay, there has been only 2-3 unregistered ones for sale in the last 2 years or so. Even thought they haven't been registered, they have all racked up some miles too. I have seen countless Ford GTs never registered on EBay for the last 5-6 years too. Doesn't mean much
Old 09-22-14, 07:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

didnt we have owners on CL here that said that Lexus USA did not want to sell them LFA as all of them were pre-sold already? Pretty sure that was on CL; from respectable member that if I remember correctly has LS600h and IS-F too :-).
Old 09-22-14, 08:30 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
didnt we have owners on CL here that said that Lexus USA did not want to sell them LFA as all of them were pre-sold already? Pretty sure that was on CL; from respectable member that if I remember correctly has LS600h and IS-F too :-).
Yep, that's right. As I said, compared to other supercars, even in the same price category, it is one of the most if not the most desirable vehicle.
Old 09-23-14, 05:24 AM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back on topic - RCF vs M4, link relevant: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1038483

Let's hope that the RCF will continue to provide the bulletproof reliability that we Lexus owners have come to expect. Seems like a risky proposition to buy a M4 to shave a few tenths off lap timings (possibly? we don't know yet?) but run the risk of all these issues.
Old 09-23-14, 08:36 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

^
E92 M3 has proven fairly reliable.

Turbo M4 in first year of production - so far not looking too good.
Even some of the press cars broke down.

As i stated before - reliability is a no brainer for RC-F!
Old 09-23-14, 11:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

have derailed enough from rcf and m4 so i will make this my final post regarding lfa. what you hear from the street or speculation is one thing, what i know from inside of lexus and other direct sources / buyers is another. so unless there is a more reliable source, it is what it is

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I think I have talked about it before in the LFA forum. You should check Dupont Registry and there are only 10 LFAs are for sale.

Maybe, initially they were sold to the dealerships and there is no shame in that since majority of the 599 GTO were sold to dealerships initially. What matters is, now majority of the 178 are off the market. Whether they were sold in the US, exported to Canada or Europe, is another debate.

To put things in context, generally Dupont registry is heavily used for exotic sales. You will find pages after pages of Aventadors, 458 Italias for sale.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/results/lexus/lfa
i check dupont regularly just fine, but what's the point. see i never even ditch about unsold lfa, it is what it is and i am fine with it. i am not fine with the way how lexus first tried to sell the car. (i think you are not too happy about that too)

and i am definitely not fine when someone says there was a wait-list here in the US. maybe in other countries that i can't confirm, but here in the US there was never one, period. and it's from the fact that there were completely unspoken allocations towards end of production (no buyers or dealership owners at all) that lexus simply just built and pushed to dealerships.

Originally Posted by ISF001
As would any manufacturer selling rides for $400,000--a piece of change for any exec to spend on a joy ride...honestly.

Lexus was smart here. The LFA and the RCF will generation lots of noise or brand amplification. Lexus will annually sell 7,500 RCs and 7,500 RC F-sports because of the F brand in the market place.

They are making no profit on the LFA and I believe little on the RCF. These cars are a marketing investment that will continue to payoff in brand sales. They are outselling the competition--Mercedes--and coming on strong to BMW.
correction, lexus loses money on every lfa they sold. and again i love the lfa, go read my review. but it doesn't make me hail on the lfa on everything. it's a great car but no car is perfect

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
How many is a bunch? From all I can see on eBay, there has been only 2-3 unregistered ones for sale in the last 2 years or so. Even thought they haven't been registered, they have all racked up some miles too. I have seen countless Ford GTs never registered on EBay for the last 5-6 years too. Doesn't mean much
please read again. i said a bunch of lfa that no one ordered at all, not even dealership owners, but the production line had to flow so lexus just built them and those cars were pushed to the dealerships. again, explain to me how that can remotely translate into having a wait list. the simple answer is no there was no wait list

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think you will have to go re-read all the threads in the lfa forum. it's been discussed numerous times that it never worked out that way. they even started out with a 2 year mandatory lease that was never enforced either. the member you talked about is in japan, his name is dave600hl i will point it out for you too. but here in the US, we actually also have a few owners, and never had any list. and some of them bought the car new from dealership floor and were never on any list

Yep, that's right. As I said, compared to other supercars, even in the same price category, it is one of the most if not the most desirable vehicle.
no doubt on that, who's going to argue with that. as a car it's a great one. but it doesn't make it automatically a sold out car with wait list
Old 09-23-14, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
E92 M3 has proven fairly reliable.

Turbo M4 in first year of production - so far not looking too good.
Even some of the press cars broke down.

As i stated before - reliability is a no brainer for RC-F!
not sure about that, the dct is not as disastrous as the smg but still it's something i wouldn't want in my car over the years

Quick Reply: RC F vs M4