RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 05:27 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motorsport: RC F Accelerating 0-283 kph

This sounds a bit better than the Tesla...in the thin air or not.

Old 06-02-15, 05:00 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Incorrect. N/A engines are affected by altitude far more than turbo engines. Video shot by these "Mash Up" guys showed a BMW 235i was quicker than a Lexus IS-F at 5000 feet above sea level despite having 100 more HP at the crank.

Similarly, in South Africa, an E92 M3 has actually been deemed only as quick as a 335i due to altitude.

Here is a good explanation of turbochargers vs N/A engines at high altitude

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...thread.119089/
It was a typo. Should've said 'isnt'.
Old 06-04-15, 04:52 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Orange-In of the Species--2015 Lexus RC F

ORANGE-IN OF THE SPECIES
2015 LEXUS RC F
http://artvoice.com/issues/v14n22/yak

After the last couple of rather, ahem, pedestrian YAK subjects, I decided it was time to inject a little excitement into the column. So I hearkened back to one of my own first cars and ran down a checklist of wanna-haves: two-door coupe body style (check); V-8 engine (check); rear-wheel drive (check)...Perhaps I’m being a bit facetious here. In no way whatsoever does the new Lexus RC F compare to my 1967 Barracuda other than in the three items listed above.

In their advertising, Lexus tells us “You’ll turn heads.” That was certainly the case earlier this week when Dan Cartier handed me the keys and I pulled out of the Northtown Lexus lot in the Molten Pearl test car. Think of the color as Creamsicle Orange. Turned up a notch. You can’t talk about the RC F without first mentioning its looks. I know, I always say that styling is subjective, but this is without a doubt the sweetest-looking car I’ve driven this year. And one I had no trouble climbing into—at least, into the front seat. The back seat? Eh, not so much. Once I got back there it wasn’t too bad, but only if Peter Dinklage is driving; with me driving there’s virtually no leg room back there. But enough of the “who cares about the” back seat. The bolstered front seats are designed to, as Lexus tells us, “...have you wrapped from hip to shoulder.” And that they do—I almost felt no need for a seat belt! They held me tight as I took the RC F around the curves and accelerated from the stand-stills.

The cozy coupe cabin means everything is well within reach, including the audio system which left me scratching my head as I tried to wing-it without any instruction. Sigh. The trunk is roomy for a sporty car, and there’s a pass-through in the center of the rear seat. Outward vision isn’t bad for a low sports car, and is aided by a rear-view backup camera.

Power for the RC F comes from a 5.0L, 467 hp V-8, which is connected to an eight-speed sport direct-shift automatic transmission, which changed gears very smoothly in all three driving modes: normal, eco, and sport. Acceleration is quick (Car and Driver reported a zero-to-60 time of 4.3 seconds), and if you like you can try and better that time using the paddle shifters. But I doubt it. Top speed is a governed 171 mph, which if you kept your foot planted, would get you from here to Manhattan in about two-and-a-half hours. Not counting gas stops. The RC F is EPA-rated at 16/25 mpg city/highway, so yes, you’ll be stopping.

Cheers to Lexus for opening up the color selections from the usual blacks, whites, silvers, and grays. Besides the test car’s Molten Pearl, they also offer a cool blue (Ultrasonic Blue Mica) and a hot red (Infrared). Interior choices, along with black and gray, include (depending on exterior choice): Flaxen (brown), Playa (which looks to be a goldish-tan), and Rioja Red.

The RC F is Lexus’ top of the line coupe, with a starting price of $62,400. The test car included, at extra cost: the Premium Package, the Navigation Package, 19” split 10-spoke forged alloy wheels, moonroof with power tilt/slide, and floor mats (see website for package info), and with delivery the bottom line came to $72,684. If you’re really liking the looks of the RC F but feel like spending a bit less, there’s also the RC 350 and RC 350 F Sport. Same body style but with V-6 power and a bit toned-down in the high-performance department, it also has available all-wheel drive if you’re so inclined. Prices are in the forties depending on model.

If you’re in the market for something fun to drive, nice to look at, and exclusivity—you won’t see yourself at every intersection—check out the RC F. But read the audio system instructions before you leave.

More info at: lexus.com.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Old 06-05-15, 09:08 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default MAMA Event | 2015 Lexus RC-F Track Review | Part 10

Midwest Automotive Media Association RC F Driving Experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpZRjOxq6o

Last edited by ISF001; 06-05-15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-05-15, 06:09 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default RC F Acceleration 0-286 KPH/177.7 MPH

Automatic, Sport +, TVD in Track Mode
Old 06-11-15, 09:33 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default New car road test: Lexus RC F coupe (Detailed Video)

This is perhaps the most detailed review of the RC F super coupe that I have come across. While I do not agree with every statement (a big surprise I am sure), there is a lot of wisdom in this review and honest, open-eyed assessment of its capabilities.

If you watch nothing other than the summary in the video, you will learn that this reviewer has surprised himself stating, given the choice between the RC F and M4, the Lexus key would be in his pocket.

I have asked Jonathan to get the RC F onto a track and to do a review.

Video Link: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...-lexus-9413561

The Lexus RC F crashes the sports coupe party with a 5.0-litre 450bhp V8 doing the honours. Front engine, rear wheel drive and a big normally-aspirated engine is a classic recipe and Lexus matches this with sublime build quality and a humungous equipment list. We didn't see this one coming but it could be a real force to be reckoned with.

Buckle up, because the RC F's specifications sound fantastic. Lexus claims the 32-valve 5.0-litre engine is the most powerful it has yet created for a production car. It's mated to an eight-speed Sports Direct Shift transmission, and delivers more than 450bhp and 520Nm. Bear in mind that the latest BMW M4 is good for 426bhp and relies on a pair of turbochargers to get there and you'll appreciate how special this engine is. It's not just all displacement and no decorum either. The RC F's gets standard fitment Brembo brakes, Sachs monotube shock absorbers, an active rear wing, Lexus's Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system and is garnished with some beautiful 19-inch forged alloy wheels.

Should you want an even more focused version, look no further than the RC F Carbon model. This benefits from additional performance features in the form of a torque-vectoring differential and a CFRP (carbon fibre-reinforced plastic) roof, bonnet and rear spoiler. It marks a world first in the use of a torque-vectoring differential in a front engine/rear-wheel drive car, giving the driver the choice of with three operating modes to optimise traction and vehicle control in different scenarios, from everyday driving to track performance. Despite its hardcore credentials, Lexus is aiming to build something you can easily use as your daily driver.

There are some coupes that look like saloon cars that are merely down a couple of doors and then there are cars like the RC F. The design cribs a few cues from the LFA supercar, most notably in the use of air cooling and aerodynamic features. Air outlets on the bonnet, like those on the LFA, work together with front cooling ducts to support both engine cooling and overall vehicle stability. To the side there are air outlets behind the front wings that add to the engine and brake cooling performance, and which merge neatly with side sill extensions to create an 'L' shape. It features its own interpretation of the Lexus signature spindle grille, which dominates the front of the vehicle and has a subtle 'F' motif embedded in the mesh below the Lexus badge. In profile, there's a sleek roofline and a distinctive curved step in the window line leading into the C-pillar. The trademark quad trapezoidal exhaust outlets are carried over from the IS F. This time they're functional.

Who'd have thought it would have been demure Lexus, of all people, who would bring us what is one of the most politically incorrect supercoupes on general release? Compared to the RC F, the Audi S5 and the BMW M4 look like buttoned-down sybarites. It's more on a par with Mercedes' unreconstructed C63 AMG coupe. Jaguar's F-Type R coupe also sports a 5.0-litre V8 but is some £20,000 more expensive and probably plays to a different crowd anyway.

Pricing looks reasonable, with the RC F pitched at much the same price as a BMW M4 with an automatic gearbox. The Carbon model looks good value too, tacking another £8,000 onto the asking price for the carbon fibre extras, the booming Mark Levinson stereo, and the Alcantara trim as well as the trick differential. That's less than Ferrari charges for a set of matching leather boot luggage. We're waiting to get hold of an RC F and see how it stacks up next to a BMW M4, but for those who've put down deposits, the omens look very good indeed.
Old 06-15-15, 06:42 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default A Lexus that Thrills

Home/Business/Transportation/Cars
A Lexus that thrills

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/tra...79c4c585b.html

Buy Now
Provided by Lexus
Lexus is putting a uniquely Japanese spin on its formula with a wild, head-turning performance machine called the RC F.
June 05, 2015 12:00 am *•* Derek Price Greenshoot Media
What was tested?

2015 Lexus RC F ($62,400). Options: 19-inch wheels ($1,500), leather seats ($800), navigation package ($2,840), special paint ($595), premium package ($4,400), moonroof ($1,100). Price as tested (including $925 destination charge): $74,560

Wheelbase: 107.5 in.

Length: 185.2 in.

Width: 81.5 in.

Height: 54.7 in.

Engine: 5.0-liter V8 (467 hp, 389 lbs.-ft. torque)

Transmission: Eight-speed automatic

Estimated Mileage: 16 city, 25 highway

RATINGS

Style: 10

Performance: 10

Price: 9

Handling: 10

Ride: 6

Comfort: 5

Quality: 9

Overall: 10

The Germans long ago perfected the art of selling hyper-fast, hyper-profitable versions of their ordinary cars to an audience of speed-hungry enthusiasts.

Now Lexus is putting a uniquely Japanese spin on this formula with a wild, head-turning performance machine called the RC F.

Unlike the masterful BMW M cars and the monster-powered Mercedes-Benz AMGs, which look relatively subdued next to the RC F, Lexus let its designers go crazy with this car.

You could zoom in and take a photo of any singular element — the headlights, the taillights, the side mirrors, the door handles — and end up with a print that would look at home in a modern art gallery because every detail is sculpted to the extreme. It’s an eye-catching departure for the normally conservative Lexus brand.

Underneath all the zig-zagged bodywork is another surprise: a real-life V8 engine, not a turbocharged/supercharged/hot-rodded V6 like so many other cars of this caliber are turning to.

There’s a meanness and a heaviness to this engine that few cars can match, making it feel like you’re driving an angry rhinoceros when you step on the gas pedal and unleash all 467 horsepower in a screaming, stomping fit.

And the sound — oh, the sweet, wonderful sound.

The RC F makes a deep but subdued rumble at low RPMs, making it sound more like a traditional luxury car than a sports coupe. But it shows its demonic side as you wind it closer to a 7,300-RPM redline, where it releases a thrilling throaty, tenor wail.

The electronics on this car are almost as impressive as the engine. You can drive politely in the normal driving mode around town, then kick it into Sport-Plus mode when you really want to have some fun. It changes the exhaust sound, the shift points, the steering and the handling to be ready for the racetrack, so it’s super loud and super aggressive.

The seats are firm with lots of side support, so it’s definitely not your grandma’s comfy Lexus. But the highway ride is reasonable enough that it could easily suffice for your daily commute, not just for weekends and track days.

Another plus on the inside: It has the best digital graphics suite I’ve seen on any car, making it easy to figure out the myriad options and settings to suit the driver’s preferences. The new rotary selector for the infotainment system is lightyears ahead of the old cursor-pointer thing some other Lexus cars have experimented with.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with a spare tire. You just get a can of Fix-a-Flat-style foam, as I discovered after a blowout on Interstate 30, which means there’s a very good chance you’ll get to experience the prompt, courteous response from Lexus roadside assistance service someday.

Pricing starts at $62,400.

Copyright 2015 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 06-15-15, 08:05 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

ISF001, GREAT Article! This is EXACTLY How i feel about it also & the other two you mentioned (even IF they might be a lil' faster), you CANNOT Compare the Sexy Curves of the RCF against them cause THEY Don't Have ANY! jmo! Thanks!
Old 06-16-15, 09:04 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
ISF001, GREAT Article! This is EXACTLY How i feel about it also & the other two you mentioned (even IF they might be a lil' faster), you CANNOT Compare the Sexy Curves of the RCF against them cause THEY Don't Have ANY! jmo! Thanks!
I don't know about you and the others, but the new F is growing on me. I feel very comfortable setting it up for my variable driving moods, and the cockpit is a great place to spend time. At 1,700 miles, the engine is broken in and raring to run through the bends. For street performance, I just pop it into sport, manual mode, and it gives me just enough edge for the daily commute.

The car seems to attract a lot of folks when I pull into the Sunoco for fuel. On Saturday, two fellows in a Porsche came over to compliment the choice in car and color, and they could not stop smiling.

I'll be heading out in the weeks ahead for cars and coffee. I'm sure the interaction with other car crazy people will be great.
Old 06-18-15, 09:16 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default New Review from Down Under: Drive

Lexus RC F new car review

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...09-ghjn8h.html

ISF001 Comment:
A solid review. One correction: the RC F TVD runs a 0-96.5606 kp/h in at least 4.3 seconds and NOT 4.8. (He's got his cars muddled.) Also, IMO, the RC F delivers more driver enjoyment with more GRACE than the competitors--everything the RC F is about.

There are no more German Kings--just memories of the unchallenged past. Enter the Lexus Samurai wielding an "F" sword. The entire idea behind the RC F is NOT to be German. Reviewer comparisons to German cars ultimately fall to the background.

This article lacks a track test, so the performance tested is based on what appears to be a casual road test. It's worth a read.

Drive Article:
For a quarter of a century Lexus has been trying to muscle in on the German luxury car dominance. And it's never been more personal than with the brand's latest performance hero, the RC F.

Based on the RC coupe, the F model signifies the performance pinnacle. It's Lexus's answer to Mercedes-Benz's AMG, BMW's M and Audi's RS.

In the RC F that translates to a V8 engine, modifications to the look and enhanced driving dynamics.

What do you get?

At $133,500 the RC F isn't cheap, but it appears something of a bargain against the BMW M4, Audi RS 5 and the upcoming new-generation Mercedes-AMG C63 S with which it competes (the C63 will initially be offered as a sedan and wagon, but a coupe is on the way).

For that you get the expected array of leather trim, electric seats, satellite-navigation, smart key entry, reversing camera, rear parking sensors and airbags all round (there are eight in total). There's also heated/cooled front seats, active cruise control, blind spot monitoring, auto emergency braking (AEB), lane change warning and an excellent Mark Levinson sound system (it's seriously loud and very clear).

The RC F also comes with an active rear wing, which raises at 80km/h for more downforce, before lowering at 40km/h.

Wheels are sizeable 19-inch alloys housed under wider wheel arches that match the more aggressive look of the F, something that comes courtesy of the bulging bonnet (to fit the V8 in), unique bumpers and grille, and additional air vents and ducts.

Those wanting more can go for the RC F Carbon, which – no surprises – adds lashings of carbon fibre for an extra $14,000; there's a carbon rear wing, bonnet and roof (the latter getting rid of the sunroof that's standard on the base car). The Carbon also gets Alcantara suede-look trim and various carbon fibre trim elements inside.

There's no manual gearbox, with an eight-speed auto the only transmission on offer.

Advertisement

What's inside?

While it's a sizeable two-door outside, space is at a premium inside the RC. Leg room is good up front, but tight in the otherwise sumptuously appointed rear pews. Rear leg room is non-existent if a large adult has their seat set to its rear-most position.

Up front the head room is also marginal for taller people, mainly because the sunroof reduces it slightly.

There's a high-tech flavour to the presentation, capped off by the classy, high gloss carbon fibre trim on the dash and doors.

The instrument cluster continues the theme, with its customisable display that adjusts depending on the drive mode you've selected (more on that later). The two Sport modes dial up a red tacho with a large digital speedo and various performance parameters. The Eco mode is less convincing, with a segmented blue circle dominating the display and deleting those segments the harder you press the accelerator.

The only letdown is the central screen, which is controlled by a touchpad that gives fingertip feedback depending on what you've selected; it's unnaturally close to the driver and has the usual gripes of not being particularly functional for selecting things on the screen. For example it's easy to overshoot the virtual button you're trying to land on, and occasionally it will select something when all you're trying to do is move the cursor.

Under the bonnet

Despite all the modern tech and design there's a hint of old school under the bonnet. The 5.0-litre V8 does without the turbochargers now common on European rivals and instead sticks with a naturally aspirated setup.

The biggest beneficiary is the sound, which is deep and bellowy at low to middle revs but raucous and enthralling once you step on the accelerator and rev it out. It's matched with potent acceleration thanks to the 351kW of power; Lexus claims it'll top 100km/h in 4.8 seconds.

However the 530Nm torque peak occurs quite high in the rev range, at 4800rpm, and there's not an abundance of muscle lower in the rev range. So if you want to experience the performance – that is, ultimately what the RC F is about, with the V6-powered RC350 for those happy to do with less – you'll need to rev it harder.

There are four drive modes selectable by a control ****. The default Normal mode provides a good mode for most conditions, with decent throttle response. The Eco mode is less satisfying, bringing with dull responses when you push the accelerator, combined with a transmission less disposed to shifting into lower gears.

The Sport and Sport+ modes (the latter disabling the stability control system) provide a more lively feel, something less useful around town but handy during more challenging driving, such as on a winding country road.

On the road

There's no adjustability to the RC F's suspension, something that compromises it on some surfaces. Pock-marked roads, for example, and smaller bumps can get testing as the taut setup reacts by jiggling those in the cabin.

It makes more sense on a smooth surface, where the firm setup keeps unwanted leaning (or body roll) at bay. There's also loads of grip from the 19-inch Michelins, translating to a highly capable and engaging machine once you ramp the pace up.

However even they will reach their limits at the rear end if you push too hard, partly because of all the power. Get too aggressive with the accelerator out of a tight bend and the tail will squirm as it fights for traction – albeit at very high levels.

There's plenty to get your head around and some new acronyms (the Japanese have never shied away from a healthy list of unrelated letters). TVD is the latest (it stands for torque vectoring differential). Traction is aided by the TVD system, which uses the stability control electronics to apply the brakes to the inside rear wheel when cornering, effectively delivering more drive to the outside wheel that has more grip. It works nicely in helping smoothly feed drive on and better distributing it between the rear wheels in an effort to reduce wheelspin.

Verdict

The RC F is good – very good. But its biggest issue is not what it does right (or wrong) but the quality of its opposition. It's an impressive and engaging car, but one up against immense German rivals that ultimately do a better job of delivering thrilling driver enjoyment with more grace.

That said, its long list of standard gear and technology-heavy high quality interior are a standout in the class and something that work with the fantastic sounding V8 to provide plenty in the way of hot shot temptation.

Our rating: 4/5

Lexus RC F pricing and specifications

Price: $147,500, plus on-road and dealer costs

Country of origin: Japan

Engine: 5.0-litre V8 petrol

Power: 351kW at 7100rpm

Torque: 530Nm at 4800-5600rpm

Fuel use: 10.9L/100km

CO2 emissions: 253g/km

Transmission: 8-speed auto, rear-wheel-drive

Weight: 1860kg

Safety: 8 airbags; stability control

Pros:
•Feisty engine and fantastic sound
•Lashings of equipment
•Elegant interior

Cons:
•Lacks low rev muscle of the competition
•Frustrating infotainment controller
•Tight back seat
Old 06-19-15, 03:57 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Laptime: Lexus RC F Motorsport

ISF001 Comment: M4 wins this one. However, based on the video (early frames show the dash), the RCF's driver DID NOT select track mode. The blue selection in the lower portion of the dashboard is "standard" mode with Sport +.

For those who do not have experience with the TVD, the driving characteristics/handling is drastically different on cornering based on TVD selection. Standard mode likes to power on over steer; slalom mode results in quick steering and is also suited for drifting; TRACK mode allows the car to power through a corner and cling to an apex like a slot car and this results in time savings.

There's no doubt that "set up" has a significant impact on every car in the line up. Fair is fair. M4 wins this one. It's called racing.

Last edited by ISF001; 06-19-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 03:31 PM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you hear yourself sometimes? Samurai F Sword?
Old 06-19-15, 04:26 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
Do you hear yourself sometimes? Samurai F Sword?
Lol, gotta love someone loving life. Samurai f'in sword for sure! I love it and wish I had such a great outlook on things.
Old 06-20-15, 04:58 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, gotta love someone loving life. Samurai f'in sword for sure! I love it and wish I had such a great outlook on things.
Like you, just living the dream. LOL

The Japanese allusion comes from my past. In the day, I almost made top ten in the US in martial arts. Some things never change.

Back to cars...
Old 06-20-15, 09:38 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread