RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I get it.

The M4 gets there approximately .8 seconds before the RC F in this video. These are stacked videos that someone attempted to synchronize for start. It's never perfect.

This is why I call it too close to call.

Yes...to smoking fast super cars.
you are able to see 0.8sec difference in a youtube video? wow you are good

i am glad i see the m4 won it clearly and cleanly
Old 05-20-15, 05:34 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=rominl;9046830]you are able to see 0.8sec difference in a youtube video? wow you are good

i am glad i see the m4 won it clearly and cleanly.

Yes, I am glad that you are glad about whatever you are glad about...clearly and cleanly.

These are two independent runs, stacked, and synced as best as was possible.

This remains a very close outcome...time it.
Old 05-20-15, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

[QUOTE=ISF001;9047186]
Originally Posted by rominl
you are able to see 0.8sec difference in a youtube video? wow you are good

i am glad i see the m4 won it clearly and cleanly.

Yes, I am glad that you are glad about whatever you are glad about...clearly and cleanly.

These are two independent runs, stacked, and synced as best as was possible.

This remains a very close outcome...time it.
nah, whatever makes YOU feel better
Old 05-21-15, 06:40 AM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow how are we still fighting about this...thought it's been done & dusted. The RCF doesn't compete on performance, it's a better DD, more reliable (?), more unique styling, better driving experience, more accessible for less skilled drivers etc....but unless the M4 has its handbrake on, blown turbo or driven by an inept driver, tough for the RCF to win.
Come on Lexus, release a lightweight RCF, that will really show the competition. You know we want one!
Old 05-21-15, 10:24 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default This Is Just Another Perspective

I don't think there is much in the way of fighting going on. We (the group) just have different perspectives--disagree in part or in total-- and these disagreements hinge on our experience and knowledge. I think this is the basis for any meaningful exchange, particularly in Club Lexus.

Hand brake on or off, we know the RC F competes strongly with the M4. On a track with demanding cornering, my money is on the F. We all saw the F lead in acceleration up to 200 KPH. I am sure this kind of surprised non-RC F owners given the fire-breathing turbo commentaries of the editorial M4 devotees. The boost apparently is not enough to combat the holding power of the F's high-revving V8. Yes, the V8 required nearly another second to hit top speed for this gauge stacked run. The fact that the aspirated engine on the husky F nearly mapped to the acceleration of the twin-turbo, lighter M4 is amazing. You would have expected a slaughter based on commentaries from M snorting editors...not. This is also being done with a two-cycle engine...amazing.

Weight...I felt that my ISF was a bit too light--it was a heck of a lot of fun but skittish. As for a future, "lighter" RC F, I would not hold your breath. It would compromise two key Lexus standards: a plethora of technology and topping-off consumer luxury--it's a tradeoff, and as much as I love how the F can effortlessly climb in speed to become a missile on open roads, there just are days when I want to kick back, crank up the 17 speaker, 835-watt ML (talk about a heavy weight), and cruise in blissful comfort, unaware of the diesel truck barreling down behind me.

Weight...it may be me, but I just don't feel "weight." I feel a planted yet agile car. It obviously responds quickly when called upon to do so. The RC F GT3 is much lighter at 2,755.8 pounds, and it will definitely take on the contenders in its racing class next year. I look forward to the coverage.

But both cars have a real problem: power and handling. Both cars need and want to be driven in the triple digits to truly come to life. The RC F is probably the car among the two that is best suited for daily driving, but it's not long before the driver feels the need to find a hole in the traffic, a long length in the road ahead, or an open highway where the right foot can put the pedal to the metal and hear the V8 roar. Life could be worse for the F (and M) owner.

The RC F is a quick, planted, V8-authentic, true out-of-the-stable, M competitor any day of the week. It's predictable and able to match varied driver skill levels. Bring on more footage on M4 and RC F track competitions. It's going to continue to swing both ways...that's how the performance hinge works for these two competitors, and I doubt it will change...hand brake on or off.

I do respect your opinion.

Originally Posted by AussieISF
Wow how are we still fighting about this...thought it's been done & dusted. The RCF doesn't compete on performance, it's a better DD, more reliable (?), more unique styling, better driving experience, more accessible for less skilled drivers etc....but unless the M4 has its handbrake on, blown turbo or driven by an inept driver, tough for the RCF to win.
Come on Lexus, release a lightweight RCF, that will really show the competition. You know we want one!
Old 05-21-15, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've got to agree with czar07 on this, not sure how you can possibly dispute/dismiss his statement?

.38 into the video the M4 hits the target of 280kph
.40 into the video the RC-F hits the target of 280kph

Both cars are plenty fast, but in the example you posted, the M4 is clearly faster to the target speed.
and RC-F is clearly faster 0-200kmh
Old 05-22-15, 07:23 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
and RC-F is clearly faster 0-200kmh
The M4 loses traction, and this is a challenge for any car whose power hinges on turbo engagement and disengagement/boost and lag.

The RC-F puts it down to the asphalt, and that's really all that matters when it comes down to speed delivery. Smoke may be fun for some, but it's just not quick.

Ironically, a little more weight in the rear might help the lighter M4.
Old 05-22-15, 11:52 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ironically, a little more weight in the rear might help the lighter M4.
Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Weight in the rear is not the right way to achieve traction. Its all in suspension geometry and chassis setup. BMW could have easily slapped on fatter / taller / sticker tyres and change the suspension characteristics to achieve a sticky rear end, but they obviously chose not to go this way...
Old 05-22-15, 07:53 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by czar07
Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Weight in the rear is not the right way to achieve traction. Its all in suspension geometry and chassis setup. BMW could have easily slapped on fatter / taller / sticker tyres and change the suspension characteristics to achieve a sticky rear end, but they obviously chose not to go this way...
A small lesson: It's called weight distribution. For maximum performance--as with a race car--the rear should be tail-heavy. Formula One's have a 35% front and 65% REAR weight distribution. This ultimately contributes to traction because the load pushes down to the driving wheels.

And yes, whatever they chose to do and not do is contributing to repeats of what happened to the poor fellow in the red bimmer. Just search M4 crashes on the web.
Old 05-22-15, 08:46 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A small lesson: It's called weight distribution. For maximum performance--as with a race car--the rear should be tail-heavy. Formula One's have a 35% front and 65% REAR weight distribution. This ultimately contributes to traction because the load pushes down to the driving wheels.

And yes, whatever they chose to do and not do is contributing to repeats of what happened to the poor fellow in the red bimmer. Just search M4 crashes on the web.
It's a combination of both weight distribution and suspension, with emphasis on tuning the suspension once you have achieved the desired weight distribution.
Old 05-22-15, 08:50 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

far smarter to soften the rear springs for weight transfer than to add weight in the back. no engineer in the world be suggest otherwise...
Old 05-22-15, 08:57 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
far smarter to soften the rear springs for weight transfer than to add weight in the back. no engineer in the world be suggest otherwise...
http://www.racingjunk.com/news/2014/...ension-tuning/

You want lighter front springs and heavier rear springs, with compression and rebound adjusted properly.
Old 05-24-15, 08:23 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Formula One is a mid engined car, comparing to a FR car is pointless.

Weight distribution is important, but weight transfer is of more significance, as has been discussed above
Old 05-24-15, 10:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

some new entries to edmunds RCF long term testing

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rc-f/20...erm-road-test/
Old 05-24-15, 10:10 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by czar07
Formula One is a mid engined car, comparing to a FR car is pointless.

Weight distribution is important, but weight transfer is of more significance, as has been discussed above
not to mention that F1 cars are closer to 45/55 than 35/65. hell...im not sure the 911s have 65% in the rear, anymore. and they are rear-engined....

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread