RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 02:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Hey guys let's please move the Caddy talk to car chat please. This thread is about RC-F automotive reviews.
Old 03-26-15, 02:33 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

RCF doesn't get my blood boiling like the ISF did. It just wasn't that big of a jump from the ISF. Equip an ISF with an OS giken, and some suspension, and I wouldn't even consider the RCF a jump at all.
There's also the counter-argument: perform mods on the RCF. And this is where I'll say back to square one: it still isn't that big of a jump.
But irrespective of the ISF, the RCF is a pretty mean machine.
Old 03-26-15, 11:24 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Drift king Tsuchiya drifting the RCF

Old 03-28-15, 11:17 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Great find! DK approves.
Old 03-29-15, 08:54 PM
FT2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
BMW also has their version of a TVD also
I am not sure how this TVD quite works yet, but it appears that the electronics apply some level of retardation to the driven wheels at corner entry, either by greatly squeezing the clutch packs or applying the brakes at differing levels through the ABS system, to help the turn in.

BMW M has electronic locking differential, which is basically a 1.5-way LSD in which the lockup is determined by electronics, but there is no retardation on any wheel to my best knowledge. You may have additional information though, would you happen to have a link or name of the system?

TIA.
Old 03-29-15, 09:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FT2011
I am not sure how this TVD quite works yet, but it appears that the electronics apply some level of retardation to the driven wheels at corner entry, either by greatly squeezing the clutch packs or applying the brakes at differing levels through the ABS system, to help the turn in.

BMW M has electronic locking differential, which is basically a 1.5-way LSD in which the lockup is determined by electronics, but there is no retardation on any wheel to my best knowledge. You may have additional information though, would you happen to have a link or name of the system?

TIA.
That is the cheap and pseudo approach brands like Acura employ where it applies brakes on the inner wheels to make the car turn.

Lexus did the proper and right way (albeit much more expensive way) of having motors on each driving wheel that provide extra torque to the outer wheel to make it spin faster in order to get the car to rotate quicker.

Anyway

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-29-15 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 10:35 PM
FT2011
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That is the cheap and pseudo approach brands like Acura employ where it applies brakes on the inner wheels to make the car turn.

Lexus did the proper and right way (albeit much more expensive way) of having motors on each driving wheel that provide extra torque to the outer wheel to make it spin faster in order to get the car to rotate quicker.
Lexus' own info shows the torque in reverse direction of travel under braking, they call it "coastal torque" supposedly, and it seems to be applied to the inner real wheel as well in the case of the RC-F too. What you describe happens once you get on the throttle, and all proper LSD's do that, not specific to Torsen or VTD. How is the reverse torque provided, that is what I am wondering.
Attached Thumbnails RC F automotive reviews thread-screen-shot-2015-03-30-at-1.27.54-am.png  
Old 03-30-15, 01:44 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Australian comparo of the M4 and RCF.

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-comp...25-1m5uft.html

Similar points to other reviews:

M4: Very fast but twitchy. More fun track car (as compared with RCF). Narrow power band and difficult to modulate, leading to being difficult to drive at the limit. Expensive. Interior rattles/trim issues.

RCF: Better sound. More livable as a daily driver. More progressive handling. Much cheaper than M4. Good performance. Thirsty.

Overall, in the video, they gave it to the RCF as a more well rounded car.
Old 03-30-15, 09:09 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

German giant takes on Japanese newcomer in the battle for performance coupe bragging rights.
RC F wins.
Old 03-30-15, 01:38 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by FT2011
Lexus' own info shows the torque in reverse direction of travel under braking, they call it "coastal torque" supposedly, and it seems to be applied to the inner real wheel as well in the case of the RC-F too. What you describe happens once you get on the throttle, and all proper LSD's do that, not specific to Torsen or VTD. How is the reverse torque provided, that is what I am wondering.
I've also been wondering how the reverse torque is applied on the TVD as well. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any Lexus publication to provide further details. I can't imagine it would be good on the drivetrain or rear half shaft if the rotation of the torque was to go into reverse all of a sudden, even if for a brief moment.

I'm assuming that during the initial turn-in while/after braking, there is an eLSD effect with the rear brake being applied to the inner rear wheel in order to affect the cornering radius. The clutch packs of the TVD can then properly distribute torque to the outside rear wheel once the vehicle is ready to accelerate out of the corner beyond the apex. I'm able to duplicate this perceived effect with the combination of having an eLSD and an aftermarket LSD on my IS.
Old 03-30-15, 03:12 PM
followtheF
Rookie

Originally Posted by redspencer
I can't imagine it would be good on the drivetrain or rear half shaft if the rotation of the torque was to go into reverse all of a sudden, even if for a brief moment.

Remember torque is a rotational force, not a rotational motion. So adding negative torque to the inside wheel will just cause that shaft to decelerate, not all of a sudden go backwards. Brakes are essentially negative torque if you want to think about it that way.

I'm assuming negative torque in the TVD is created by electronically "ungripping" the clutch plates. Ie slow the inside wheel not by braking, but by using that electronic motor to disengage some of the torque on the inside. With the diff transferring less torque to the inside wheel than it was before (ie negative torque) you get a yaw force rotating the car in the direction of the turn.

That being said, this is all a guess and a little more info from Lexus would be nice.
Old 03-30-15, 03:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
Best all-around pick for daily use! M4 they tested already had rattles probably due to the harsh ride.
Old 03-30-15, 06:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Old 04-02-15, 12:34 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

Anyway

BMW M4 Versus Lexus RCF Drag Race | PistonHeadsTV - YouTube
Can you please provide more information on this.
Old 04-02-15, 05:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by czar07
Can you please provide more information on this.
Which part? For Lexus? (see above for the brochure picture on TVD) or the Honda/Acura one? (can be found all over the internet).

Like this one for example:

"like Acura’s own Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system — this is accomplished by simply braking the inside wheel while sending more power to the outside."

http://driving.ca/acura/rlx/reviews/...-hybrid-sh-awd

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread