RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 01:03 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obturator
Do you guys honestly think Lexus put in their best effort in creating the RCF? The engine is pretty much the same one in the ISF. The chassis is a Frankenstein one. Where is the R&D? No new engine, no new chassis. Heck, even the interior is a better appointed 3is. Feeling sorry for Lexus? The bad reviews are not uncalled for, although there is some bias in there. Then there's the GSF, another lackluster attempt. Well, at least the GS chassis and weight have been praised over the competition.
I really wanted to like the RCF and GSF, but I agree with you that lexus didn't put their best effort into either. If lexus really wanted to make a competitor why the Frankenstein chasis? Why is the car so heavy? If the car is so heavy why didn't they up the power? In this class of cars, M3, C63s numbers (HP,TQ, 0-60,1/4) matter and often play a large part of the success or failure of the car. And although the RCF is a good car, its performance falls short of what people are seeking in this class of car. The brutal honesty is, in terms of performance the RCF (and even GSF) is more of a Audi S, BMW M sport and upcoming Mercedes AMG sport competitor and a not a true M or AMG competitor. And whether the buyer admits or not, anyone dropping 65K-70K on a RCF (a performance/ luxury car) would be a little butt hurt if a car 10K-15K less (for example upcoming C450 AMG sport or BMW 340I LCI and future S4) matched or beat performance figures of the RC.
Old 03-02-15, 01:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and yet its been shown to be competitive on the track despite a 400# disadvantage. If you want to concentrate on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, why are you looking at luxury cars?

they did up the power, the V8 went from 416 to 467hp. If we wanted pure performance why are we even looking at luxury brands? This car has 100 more hp than C450, 340, which are going to be around 360hp. Performance isnt going to be matched or beat stock for stock. Those arent going to be 10-15k less when a C400 already is 50k starting, imagine how much a C450 is going to cost.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-02-15 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 02:12 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
they did up the power, the V8 went from 416 to 467hp. If we wanted pure performance why are we even looking at luxury brands? This car has 100 more hp than C450, 340, which are going to be around 360hp. Performance isnt going to be matched or beat stock for stock. Those arent going to be 10-15k less when a C400 already is 50k starting, imagine how much a C450 is going to cost.
I know they upped the power from ISF to RCF, but they also upped the weight of the RCF. As for the c400, it will be replaced by the C450, which will have 360ish hp and 380ish tq. Pricing isn't expected to be much more than current c400. The current C400 already runs 4.7 0-60 and 13.3 1/4 mile which is not far off from RCFs 4.5 0-60 and 12.9 1/4. As for performance, the avg driver will never track their cars. Most will just drag from light to light. For everyday drivers C450 will hold its own against RCF.

I for one would never own M3's, RCF, C63 or any high powered car. Not that I don't appreciate them, but I will never track the car and use it to it's full potential and second, traffic doesn't allow me to drive faster than a bicyclist.

I agree for pure performance why not just get sports car?
Old 03-02-15, 04:50 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TVD runs a 4.3 and 12.5, but these are just two numbers. The RCF is a high oerformance coupe--much more than a C400 or C450. Acceleration in the 100 to 170 mph range is continuous and intoxicating--much like the IS F but faster.

We are talking about a street legal race car that handles extremely well and corners on rails--on the road and the track. If you think of it as a 363:2 daily driver and track time car, your more in the mindset.

Why buy it? It's a toy--they all are. Few if any of us will seriously race any of the cars in this class, and even fewer of us have the skills to push the cars to their limits.

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
I know they upped the power from ISF to RCF, but they also upped the weight of the RCF. As for the c400, it will be replaced by the C450, which will have 360ish hp and 380ish tq. Pricing isn't expected to be much more than current c400. The current C400 already runs 4.7 0-60 and 13.3 1/4 mile which is not far off from RCFs 4.5 0-60 and 12.9 1/4. As for performance, the avg driver will never track their cars. Most will just drag from light to light. For everyday drivers C450 will hold its own against RCF.

I for one would never own M3's, RCF, C63 or any high powered car. Not that I don't appreciate them, but I will never track the car and use it to it's full potential and second, traffic doesn't allow me to drive faster than a bicyclist.

I agree for pure performance why not just get sports car?
Old 03-02-15, 09:38 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF001
The TVD runs a 4.3 and 12.5, but these are just two numbers. The RCF is a high oerformance coupe--much more than a C400 or C450. Acceleration in the 100 to 170 mph range is continuous and intoxicating--much like the IS F but faster.

We are talking about a street legal race car that handles extremely well and corners on rails--on the road and the track. If you think of it as a 363:2 daily driver and track time car, your more in the mindset.

Why buy it? It's a toy--they all are. Few if any of us will seriously race any of the cars in this class, and even fewer of us have the skills to push the cars to their limits.
I understand its high performance coupe but my point is compared to competiton lexus could have done much better job. Rcf has fallen short against M3 and c63. Due to its weight rcf is more of a competitor of audi s, BMW m sport and mb amg sport. I am not a fanboy of mercedes but i use c450 as an example of what competition doing. And what they are doing is uping their game. The c450 is essentially the c63 minus V8. It will have same suspension, tranny and same looks at a much cheaper price than rcf.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Last edited by GTSLEX; 03-02-15 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 04:37 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

I understand its high performance coupe but my point is compared to competiton lexus could have done much better job. Rcf has fallen short against M3 and c63. Due to its weight rcf is more of a competitor of audi s, BMW m sport and mb amg sport. I am not a fanboy of mercedes but i use c450 as an example of what competition doing. And what they are doing is uping their game. The c450 is essentially the c63 minus V8. It will have same suspension, tranny and same looks at a much cheaper price than rcf.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
You're not serious--m-sport, amg-sport, etc.?

C400--Engine 3.0L biturbo V-6; Power329 hp @ 5,250-6,000 rpm; Acceleration, 0-60 mph 5.2 sec. C450--3.0-liter biturbo V-6; 362 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque; 0-60mph in 4.9sec. Enjoy--but we are sitting in two different cars, two different classes, and two different price ranges.

Do you own an IS F? The new RC F is that and more. You are comparing apples and kumquats.
Old 03-03-15, 09:51 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

You're not serious--m-sport, amg-sport, etc.?

C400--Engine 3.0L biturbo V-6; Power329 hp @ 5,250-6,000 rpm; Acceleration, 0-60 mph 5.2 sec. C450--3.0-liter biturbo V-6; 362 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque; 0-60mph in 4.9sec. Enjoy--but we are sitting in two different cars, two different classes, and two different price ranges.

Do you own an IS F? The new RC F is that and more. You are comparing apples and kumquats.
Correction, C400 tested 0-60 at 4.7 and 1/4 mile at 13.3.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

With extra power of c450 and addition of C63 suspension and other amg goodies it will perform very well.

I'm not saying the c450 are direct competitor to RCF. And although the RCF is a good car in its own right, performance wise, it has fallen short against it's main competitors M3 and C63. In terms of pure performance Lexus didn't put their best effort into the RCF hence the porky weight. The RCF is more of a GT cruiser and will appeal to those buyers seeking that type of ride.
Old 03-03-15, 02:34 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Fast and cheap

Don't forget the Hellcats.Just as reliable as the Germans, and way faster in straight line.
Old 03-03-15, 03:44 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Correction, C400 tested 0-60 at 4.7 and 1/4 mile at 13.3.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

With extra power of c450 and addition of C63 suspension and other amg goodies it will perform very well.

I'm not saying the c450 are direct competitor to RCF. And although the RCF is a good car in its own right, performance wise, it has fallen short against it's main competitors M3 and C63. In terms of pure performance Lexus didn't put their best effort into the RCF hence the porky weight. The RCF is more of a GT cruiser and will appeal to those buyers seeking that type of ride.
Does this look slow to you? The M4 does it in 23-24. Time this run. I get 21 flat for the RC F.

The time is AT LEAST as good as the M4. (The M3 and IS F are better competitors in the same class. If I were in the market, again, for an M and could get beyond the lawn mower sound, it would be an M3.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cm0pd_acceleration-0-238-km-h-lexus-rcf-v8-2015_auto
Planted and heavy are mutually exclusive. The RCF is planted, and the car accelerates beautifully.
Old 03-03-15, 05:21 PM
Razorthin1
Driver School Candidate

Does this look slow to you? The M4 does it in 23-24. Time this run. I get 21 flat for the RC F.

The time is AT LEAST as good as the M4. (The M3 and IS F are better competitors in the same class. If I were in the market, again, for an M and could get beyond the lawn mower sound, it would be an M3.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c...f-v8-2015_auto

Planted and heavy are mutually exclusive. The RCF is planted, and the car accelerates beautifully.
Posting crap like this is why you have very little credibility. You have already posted this video, and your claim of 0-150 MPH in 21 seconds "flat" for an RCF is an outright lie. In fact, the car in the video NEVER makes it to 150 Mph (241 Kmh).

The M4 0-150 Mph is 23.7 seconds.
The RCF 0-150 Mph is 24.8 seconds.

Sorry, the RCF is not as fast as an M4 to 150 MPH. Nice try.

Here is the original thread where you claimed 21-22 seconds for the RCF, but that time you were attacking the IS-F instead of the M4.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ance-runs.html
Old 03-04-15, 03:38 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

This is a public thread, and you're entitled to your opinions at Club Lexus. I suggest that you maintain a non-accusatory stance in your postings to retain your participation.

Regardless as to how much credibility you do or do not attribute to the metrics, there should be consensus that neither car is "bus lengths" away from the other in a straight run to 150 mph--at least not until 156 mph is reached by the M4 (stock for stock cars).

Data points and their interpretations will always vary based on environmental conditions and drivers. In the end, a pattern always emerges in the numbers.

Intellectually embrace the challenge and toss the emotional stuff to the side. Again, time the run this driver performed on the video.

The two cars a very well matched: this is my interpretation sans all of the yellow journalism and misrepresentation spawned by prejudicial editors and would-be "race car" drivers basking in the glow of their self-proclaimed TV stardom.

Originally Posted by Razorthin1
Posting crap like this is why you have very little credibility. You have already posted this video, and your claim of 0-150 MPH in 21 seconds "flat" for an RCF is an outright lie. In fact, the car in the video NEVER makes it to 150 Mph (241 Kmh).

The M4 0-150 Mph is 23.7 seconds.
The RCF 0-150 Mph is 24.8 seconds.

Sorry, the RCF is not as fast as an M4 to 150 MPH. Nice try.

Here is the original thread where you claimed 21-22 seconds for the RCF, but that time you were attacking the IS-F instead of the M4.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ance-runs.html
Old 03-04-15, 03:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys knock off the personal commentary or exit this thread immediately.

Isf001, let the moderators do the moderating please.

This is a public thread, and you're entitled to your opinions at Club Lexus. I suggest that you maintain a non-accusatory stance in your postings to retain your participation.
Old 03-04-15, 11:38 AM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally don't care if it weighs 400 lbs more than an M4. Get a real lightweight sportscar if you care about weight because the M4 relative to a Lotus or Miata is embarassingly overweight. It's all relative.

The looks, rarity, reliability, V8 noise, and nicer interior/seats win it over for me. This car isn't my track car, that duty is reserved for my Elise. But I know at least around the track like Willow Springs it's only 0.3s slower than the M4, and probably faster if the BMW is driven by the average BMW driver
Old 03-04-15, 11:48 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
I personally don't care if it weighs 400 lbs more than an M4. Get a real lightweight sportscar if you care about weight because the M4 relative to a Lotus or Miata is embarassingly overweight. It's all relative.

The looks, rarity, reliability, V8 noise, and nicer interior/seats win it over for me. This car isn't my track car, that duty is reserved for my Elise. But I know at least around the track like Willow Springs it's only 0.3s slower than the M4, and probably faster if the BMW is driven by the average BMW driver
Thanks for bringing this back to reality.
All this discussion about comparisons. Who really cares. Certainly not Lexus. They are a luxury brand who is trying to give us performance. They are not a performance brand trying to give someone luxury. I don't care nor do I want Lexus to be like anyone else. I want a super reliable luxury car that has some performance. If I wanted more performance I'd either mod the car or buy something else.
The RC-F is not as raw as the M4. Don't care. Don't want it to be. It's a luxury car that can and will scare you if you can drive it right. It's a lot less scary on the track but again, its not built to be a track star. It's a star in its own right.
Old 03-04-15, 11:57 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Well, the new Civic Type R with 300 HP lapped Nurburgring officially in 7:50 so if the purpose is to get a great track car, get a Civic Type R.

Neither the M4 nor the RC-F are intended for that purpose. These are full luxury GT cars that can do very well around the race track. Not full-on track cars.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-04-15 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread