Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 06:00 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track Day Beast Unleashed

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/608...east-unleashed

Tim O'Brien | 9 Comments

What's hot: Stonking quad-cam V8, brilliant chassis, simply beautiful premium interior.
What's not: Heavier than the M4 (but much cheaper), tightly controlled traction settings.
X-FACTOR: It's not one of ‘the' Germans, but, on track and on-road, the RC F can chest up to them for performance.

Vehicle style: High-performance premium coupe
Price: $133,500 - $147,500
Engine/trans: 351kW/530Nm 5.0 litre V8 | 8spd sports auto
Fuel consumption listed: 10.9 l/100km | tested: 18.2 l/100km

OVERVIEW

How good is this? Bury the shoe from the apex at Forrest's Elbow, then full noise down Conrod Straight: 180, 220, 240… and still accelerating.

Full noise here, at Mt Panorama, this sacred ground of V8 racing, is “full noise". It's not a car we're driving, this new Lexus RC F, here, it's a V8 firestorm.

The howl that fills the cabin is glorious; it rises from a deep growl to a howling wail at the 7300rpm limiter. From 4000rpm and beyond, the 5.0 litre V8 simply pummels its 351kW and 530Nm to the tarmac.

Lexus has a very good one here with this car, the RC F, and is very proud of it.

We met it at it launch, and let it off the leash around the hallowed mount. The way the RC F goes, turns and stops is simply sensational. Awesome, in fact.

On the face of it, here is a car that is certainly capable of a head-to-head stoush with the Bavarian gruntmeister, the M4, and his twisted brethren (from Audi and Mercedes Benz).

Fast, it is certainly, sublimely balanced, no question, but also fastidiously luxurious. And something of a bargain (though I could never afford it).

At $133,500, the Lexus RC F holds a $33,000 price advantage over its most logical German opponent, that amazing M4 (at $166,900), and is nearly $40,000 cheaper than the RS 5 ($175,300).

That's not small change.

There are two models, the RC F GT and RC F Carbon edition, the latter at $147,500 with carbon fibre composite bonnet, roof and rear wing, and fibre-weave trims to the interior (among other up-spec features).

In the rarified air of prestige high-performance track-day weapons, the RC F surely buys itself.

Lexus plans to sell around ten a month. Ten? This car at that price, that's a shoo-in.

INTERIOR

Moon roof (not available Carbon model)
Smart key card entry, ambient lighting (touch sensitive switching)
Heated and ventilated electric front seats with leather accented trim
7-inch electro-multivision screen
Sat-nav, Bluetooth, DAB+ radio, audio streaming
17-speaker Mark Levinson audio, iPod, USB connectivity
‘Two layer' climate control system
Front and rear parking sensors, reversing camera
Blind spot monitor, cross traffic alert and lane change assist
Luxurious, sporting, the workbench for the RC F is beautifully and fastidiously crafted. Trim materials everywhere - dash, seats, doors and console - are of the finest Lexus quality and fit.

The sports seats too are superb: hip-hugging, trimmed in finely-grained leather and shaped right for the track, they are beautifully comfortable.

The leather trim on the seats and doors can be specified in choices of red, ‘Moonstone', white, or black (the RC F Carbon edition adds grey alcantara), and are highlighted with elaborate contrasting stitch patterns.

We can also find no fault with the purposeful, sports wheel. Electrically adjusted for reach and rake, its size and feel is just right, as is the weighting on road.

And, if you need some distraction from the intoxicating gruff rumble from the 5.0 litre straining at the leash under the bonnet, there's a 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio system that will fill the cabin with the thumping high-fidelity sounds of the DAB+ radio, streamed via Bluetooth or from your iPod or USB.

And, like all in the Lexus range, there is a (touchy) touch-pad for accessing its functions, complemented by button controls for manual operation.

There is also a simple rotary controller for accessing the performance settings for the transmission, engine management (Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+ and ‘Expert') and torque vectoring differential (Standard, Slalom or Track).

Extensively and intelligently equipped, and beautiful in its execution, it is very hard to fault this premium Lexus interior. Quite simply, compared to its German competitors, the RC F gives more for less.

ON THE ROAD

2UR-GSE quad-cam V8/8-spd direct shift sports transmission
351kW @ 7100rpm/530Nm @ 4800-5600rpm
Torque vectoring differential with three operating modes: Standard, Slalom, Track
19-inch alloys: Michelin SuperSport 255/35 front tyres, 275/35 rear
Double wishbone front suspension; multi-link rear (with suspension brace)
Monotube dampers with internal rebound spring and Teflon-coated piston band
On road, this car is a spear. If you overtake too enthusiastically, you will see 160km/h in a heartbeat.
Few cars will launch like the RC F out of an apex. Down below is a superb rigid chassis and rear-end balance, and it can, as its maker intended, simply “blast through a set of corners".

There is perhaps not quite the ‘thread the needle' accuracy of the M4 to the RC F's steering, but there are scant margins in it, and there is a settled feel to the RC F that may prove the better companion on the long highway run.

Down below are 19-inch alloys (or 20-inch on the Carbon edition).

Even over the rattier secondary back-roads around Bathurst - and we gave it a good run here - the double wishbone front end and multi-link rear is free of jarring while also isolating the premium cabin from road noise and coarse bitumen. (It also does this somewhat better than its German counterparts.)

And the pumped guards over the wide rear haunches not only look sensational, but the nailed-down rear-end and torque-vectoring differential that sits below them is unshakeable at speed.

Even on the ‘loosest' traction setting, the lateral grip at speed is incredible.

We gave it a bit of a thumping, as you would, and smashed the fuel economy.

While the V8 in the snout switches from Atkinson to Otto cycles depending upon the demands being put through the accelerator, the 10.9 l/100km listed consumption probably won't be achievable for anything but a feather touch on the pedal.

There is always a cost, and it's to do with simple physics, for performance like this.

Mt Panorama Track Test

It is 6.213 kilometres of funnelling corners, steep climbs, heart-stopping drops and blistering straights.

The real tussle here is of ‘mind' and ‘machine'. Even seasoned racers attest that few ever fully know this track; they can learn it, but the mountain, lying in wait for the briefest moment of inattention, will always surprise.

And it is, of course, quintessentially the home of V8 Supercar racing in this country.

This then is the place to put the premium track-day thoroughbred through its paces. It helps, of course, that Lexus is toying with an involvement in V8 Supercar racing, but here we let it off the leash.

And here, it is an absolute heart-stopping hoot of a drive.

With a sub-five-second 0-100km/h sprint, 4.5 seconds in fact, the RC F is far from a slouch when given the shoe. (We recorded an unscientific 4.8 seconds.)

2015 lexus rc f australian launch review 12 And that 5.0 litre quad-cam V8 under the bonnet will sit hard up against the redline without complaint in the track-focussed Sport+ setting.
In this setting, gear changes are ‘electric', it simply fires through changes in response to the paddles with DSG-like lightning shifts.

And it allows some movement down below; the RC F will ‘drift' on exit if you get the boot in early, but is incredibly well-stuck. Turn-in response is equally electric.

Here, though, its character is different to the M4. That car allows far greater lateral movement - it will really hang the tail - than the RC F.

For point-to-point track times, however, there can surely be little between them.

We had the RC F howling up the mountain, running tight through the cutting, drifting wide across Skyline, hard down through ‘the Esses', then flying down Conrod.

Watching the speedo is a mug's game on a track like this, but quick glances saw 245km/h and still accelerating down Conrod Straight.

(With ace steerer Neal Bates at the wheel - showing how to really drive this track - that speedo was nudging 263km/h before he lifted in Caltex Chase.)

So, yes, this car is fast. Incredibly fast in fact; and certainly fast enough and nailed down hard enough to dish out some serious pain as a track day weapon.

Lastly, but importantly, it has been engineered for track-day durability. The claim is there ‘in black and white' in Lexus marketing - surely signalling a clear intent to stand behind the claim.

TMR VERDICT | OVERALL

If there was one word for the RC F, it would be “consummate".

Individual, muscular, this is such a complete and wholly satisfying high-performance luxury coupe.

Its greatest failing, for some, will be that it isn't German (but that isn't the RC F's failing).

Look beyond the price advantage, the premium craftsmanship and fastidious attention to detail, and you'll find a raw-boned V8 heart that puts its 530Nm to the tarmac with an iron fist.

The RC F sounds great, it looks sensational, it sticks like glue and it is a missile on road or track.

I've driven it, and I'd have one in a heartbeat. (Ah… but for that collapsed wallet…)

PRICING (excludes on-road costs)

RC F - 5.0 litre V8 - $133,500
RC F Carbon - 5.0 litre V8 - $147,500

Last edited by ISF001; 03-01-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 06:04 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Yes...it's called "wax in his ears.".

Originally Posted by TimboIS
MotorAuthority.com accompanying article:

Most folks can appreciate a good exhaust note. There's something buried in the noise that rings up a certain part of the soul, and then stirs it. One of the best places to experience wonderful exhaust tones is inside the cozy auditory confines of a tunnel. Apparently there's a spot in the United Kingdom devoted to just such appreciated because there's an Exhaust Appreciation Tunnel... and Lexus just sent its RC F through it.

Now, you'd expect the RC F to sound off with a quality exhaust note. After all, it's packing a 5.0-liter V-8 engine that produces 467 horsepower. The exhaust is released unto the world by way of a quad-exhaust setup with four real exhaust tips, as opposed to the exhaust "bodywork" of the IS F. That sounds like it would make for a pretty pleasing aural adventure, no?

Well, prepare to be disappointed. The exhaust on the RC F is a bit boring considering the powerplant under the hood. This coupe makes its best noises when you're inside the cabin and crossing over the 3,500 rpm mark as the intake noise changes tone from okay to OH MY. That's where the real action happens. Lexus has been producing vehicles with surprisingly wonderful intake noise for some time now, but the exhaust doesn't hit the same, ahem, high notes.

Still, a V-8 in a tunnel is always interesting, right? Eh. I can appreciate the hard work that went into this video, since it was shot with stills and then compiled into moving pictures. The final result, however, leaves me a bit motion sick, and the aforementioned mediocre exhaust note doesn't ring magically into my ears... or more importantly, into my heart.
Old 02-28-15, 06:44 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Not sure what the point of this reply is .
Average tennis players should get customized rackets and try to become pro tennis players?
People should like the car that only pro racer can get the best out of it, or they should praise the one that they can realistically handle?

It would be interesting to know what Roger Federer thinks of your customized tennis racket and skill.

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
That makes no sense lol

It seems that most people here are attaching their own lack of ability to the potential and ability of the machinery. Ill try and explain what im talking about in more simple terms so people wont get butt hurt due to fanboy or financial reasons.

Ex: Lots of people around the world play tennis. Many people are good, but the vast majority of people who enjoy the sport are low skilled and incapable of holding a rally with a professional who hits a ball with true weight. Now that's just the truth of life and world we live in. Having played tennis at a professional level, I know exactly what im talking about here...

Now to the good part...

When I play tennis I use a custom racket given to me by my sponsor that weighs between 338-345g depending on how I decided to have it setup. The average person that I wrote about just earlier could try and play with my racket, but would just end up making a fool of themselves and probably get tennis elbow. Although my racket is far superior to one that is readily available to the general public, a player with average ability is not going to be able to properly use the racket and would be better off with something more forgiving and less brutal.

The same idea goes for the M4 and RCF track comparison. The M4 is a more capable car around a race track, it really just is. The fact that the vast majority of buyers cannot utilize the capability of the car isn't the cars fault. It seems that many people in this thread have forgotten the fact that it is not the cars fault that your not a competent enough driver to get the most out of it.

But who really buys a 75k luxury car to go road racing?
Old 02-28-15, 06:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thats what aftermarket exhaust systems are for
Old 02-28-15, 09:22 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
Not sure what the point of this reply is .
Average tennis players should get customized rackets and try to become pro tennis players?
People should like the car that only pro racer can get the best out of it, or they should praise the one that they can realistically handle?

It would be interesting to know what Roger Federer thinks of your customized tennis racket and skill.
Lol demonizing a car because you don't have the skill to take advantage of is the point of it.

And Federer uses a custom racket, everyone in the top 500 does... Federer would destroy me at my best haha
Old 03-01-15, 05:58 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I think the ultimate proof of the pudding test should be :

You need to go down a winding mountain road in the fastest time possible. There is a sharp 200 feet drop off on one side of this narrow road. You have the choice of the M4 or the RCF.

Which car would you entrust your life to get you down the mountain road as quickly and as safely as possible? The tail happy widowmaker M4 on the off chance that it doesn't drive you off the mountain? Or the predictable confidence inspiring progressive RCF?
Old 03-01-15, 07:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not sure if this has been posted but multiple articles from Edmunds long term test

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rc-f/20...erm-road-test/
Wow Edmunds really HATE it.
Almost nothing positive........

The RC F feels a bit more labored, even bothered, with the task of darting back and forth between corners. If you're on a long cruise, the Lexus might be the better car for soaking up bumps, but that's only slightly and that small difference isn't enough to sway me in the Lexus' favor.
Our long-term 2015 Lexus RC F is positioned as a contender to the BMW M4 and Mercedes-AMG C63. In my estimation, the RC F plays it too safe to be a viable alternative.

Which is not to say it isn't fast or capable. It is surely both of those things. And its styling definitely doesn't play it safe, but this is an area of such subjectivity that I'll leave it at that.

The root of the RC F's conundrum is weight. It's exceedingly heavy. At more than 4,000 pounds, it's packing a solid 500 pounds over the last M4 we tested. And while the performance numbers the RC F puts up are sure to place it in the hunt with the Bavarian, the Lexus gives up too much tactility in the process.

The RC F has heaps of power but feels blunted by its mass. Oh, its body motions are reigned in well, and on a fast drive it is alert and sure-footed. In fact, I'd say Lexus have done an admirable job of making this fat man dance. But it's still fat. All the praise I have for its dynamics is mentally asterisked by the refrain "for its weight." It's never sloppy, it's just dense.
Our 2015 Lexus RC F has more than enough power. Its 5.0-liter is rated to produce 467 horses and even with nearly two tons to haul around that's enough motivation to get going in a hurry.

Trouble is, that power isn't always on tap when you want it. In fact, it takes a serious stomp of your right foot to get full thrust, and even then it takes longer than it should. Dialing up the "Sport" mode does speed things up a little, but even then the V8s most potent punch takes too long to arrive.
Old 03-01-15, 07:34 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I think the ultimate proof of the pudding test should be :

You need to go down a winding mountain road in the fastest time possible. There is a sharp 200 feet drop off on one side of this narrow road. You have the choice of the M4 or the RCF.

Which car would you entrust your life to get you down the mountain road as quickly and as safely as possible? The tail happy widowmaker M4 on the off chance that it doesn't drive you off the mountain? Or the predictable confidence inspiring progressive RCF?
With traction control on = M4 without hesitation. Besides that, you dont use the engine much downhills. Back uphills = a manual 6 spd M4 during the same conditions.

Without traction control on a windy and rainy day = RC-F all the way.
Old 03-01-15, 10:54 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Clarkson to Review the RCF Monday Night on BBC

Top Gear Season 22 Episode 6 also features Jeremy Clarkson’s review of the Lexus RCF Coupe. The new Lexus features a 5.0 litre V8 with 467 hp and an 8-speed Sport Direct Shift automatic transmission. It remains to be seen what Jeremy thinks of the car but it is worth noting that he loved the Lexus LFA last time he drove it.

We'll see what the Brit thinks!

Season 22, episode 6, airs at 8:30 pm ET for those in the states.
Old 03-02-15, 03:48 AM
Razorthin1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF001
Top Gear Season 22 Episode 6 also features Jeremy Clarkson’s review of the Lexus RCF Coupe. The new Lexus features a 5.0 litre V8 with 467 hp and an 8-speed Sport Direct Shift automatic transmission. It remains to be seen what Jeremy thinks of the car but it is worth noting that he loved the Lexus LFA last time he drove it.

We'll see what the Brit thinks!

Season 22, episode 6, airs at 8:30 pm ET for those in the states.

Not good...at all. It's been a rough couple of weeks for the RCF.

Chris Harris didn't really care for it, Jeremy Clarkson HATES it and the new C63 was introduced.

But like others have said, if you like the car and it fits your driving needs that is fine. My issue is with those who try to make the RCF the "OMGZZ it's the best car ever made!" when it clearly has some things that lexus can work on in upcoming model years.
Old 03-02-15, 04:12 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Razorthin1
Top Gear Season 22 Episode 6 | Gillian Anderson | Lexus RC F - YouTube

Not good...at all. It's been a rough couple of weeks for the RCF.

Chris Harris didn't really care for it, Jeremy Clarkson HATES it and the new C63 was introduced.

But like others have said, if you like the car and it fits your driving needs that is fine. My issue is with those who try to make the RCF the "OMGZZ it's the best car ever made!" when it clearly has some things that lexus can work on in upcoming model years.

There have been plenty of excellent reviews. Just look at the review thread.

Opinions will never cease...here's one.

Widowmaker M4 versus balanced and powerful RCF; 2 versus 363 days per year; numbers versus control; garage queen versus reliability.

Are you really in the right forum?
Old 03-02-15, 06:25 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF001

There have been plenty of excellent reviews. Just look at the review thread.

Opinions will never cease...here's one.

Widowmaker M4 versus balanced and powerful RCF; 2 versus 363 days per year; numbers versus control; garage queen versus reliability.

Are you really in the right forum?
Opinions? Fact is the car is just too heavy.
Jeremy Clarkson hit the nail on the head: the car didnt need all the electronics to make it fast if it was just engineered properly.

With the traction off the car looks like its twitchy and always fighting you..not good at all.

Just because some people on here and I believe that Lexus could have done a MUCH better job than they did with the RC-F doesnt mean that we are on the wrong forum.
Old 03-02-15, 11:46 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Do you guys honestly think Lexus put in their best effort in creating the RCF? The engine is pretty much the same one in the ISF. The chassis is a Frankenstein one. Where is the R&D? No new engine, no new chassis. Heck, even the interior is a better appointed 3is. Feeling sorry for Lexus? The bad reviews are not uncalled for, although there is some bias in there. Then there's the GSF, another lackluster attempt. Well, at least the GS chassis and weight have been praised over the competition.

Those who have ordered the RCF, don't have buyers' remorse. It's still a great car. After all, the ISF was a great car. Just don't try to denigrate the competition to justify your purchase.
Old 03-02-15, 12:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

^^^One thing I think that many usually don't realize is that Lexus don't have the overall world wide volume as the Germans to justify in investing in brand new chassis all the time, it's more difficult for them cost wise to make it profitable.

BMW , Mercedes and Audi's sell tons of low power/diesels, low optioned 3, 4 and 5 series all over the world, particularly in Europe, so they have a much bigger market base to share the same chassis, they just have to tweak the chassis for the more performance oriented versions, so it's more cost effective for them.

The RC, which is a coupe, is expected to be a low volume car anyway compare with sedans, that is the case for all brands, but it's worse for Lexus because they don't invest in/sell diesels and small engine versions in most of the world like the Germans do.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-02-15 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 12:08 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by obturator
Do you guys honestly think Lexus put in their best effort in creating the RCF? The engine is pretty much the same one in the ISF. The chassis is a Frankenstein one. Where is the R&D? No new engine, no new chassis. Heck, even the interior is a better appointed 3is. Feeling sorry for Lexus? The bad reviews are not uncalled for, although there is some bias in there. Then there's the GSF, another lackluster attempt. Well, at least the GS chassis and weight have been praised over the competition.

Those who have ordered the RCF, don't have buyers' remorse. It's still a great car. After all, the ISF was a great car. Just don't try to denigrate the competition to justify your purchase.
WEll, they essentially kept the engine block...period. I drove this car--it is NOT the same engine in my IS F.

467 Horsepower V8. Any Questions?
It’s a good day for engineers when they’re tasked with redesigning a 416 horsepower high-performance V8 to produce even more power and higher revs. The 5.0-liter V8 in the Lexus IS F made its mark. Now it’s the RC F’s turn.

Taking the sound and feel of instantaneous torque of the LFA V10 engine as inspiration, the engineers essentially kept the cylinder block and replaced most other parts. Thanks mostly to all-new cylinder heads, higher compression and lighter internal parts, horsepower has soared by 51 hp to 467 hp, and the engine can now rev to 7,100 rpm vs. 6,800 rpm in the IS F. The compression ratio has been raised to 12.3:1 (from 11.8:1), boosting torque across the entire engine speed range. Improved engine and transmission cooling systems handle track-day driving.

Here’s where Lexus got creative. Uniquely for a Lexus performance engine, the new 2UR-GSE V8 runs on the Atkinson cycle when operating at cruising speeds, to help enhance fuel economy. It’s a trick picked up from the brand’s hybrids. In the Atkinson cycle, the inlet valves are held open longer than normal to allow a reverse flow of intake air into the intake manifold, thereby decreasing pumping loss and increasing thermal efficiency.

Lexus redesigned the VVT-iE (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor) technology to extend the range of inlet camshaft timing adjustment for the Atkinson cycle. The instant more power is called for, the engine switches to the Otto cycle.

Special features of the RC F engine include titanium valves, forged connecting rods, an optimized exhaust layout to more effectively harness exhaust pulses and an air-cooled oil cooler for optimum durability.

New or redesigned parts include: •Cylinder heads and cam covers
•Crankshaft: crank pin diameter, connecting rod big-end bearing size and crank counter-weight size are all reduced, to reduce reciprocating weight
•Crank main bearings and caps
•High-strength forged connecting rods
•Pistons and piston rings
•Titanium inlet and exhaust valves
•Intake manifold and throttle body
•Redesigned Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor (VVT-iE)
•Revised Lexus D-4S dual injection system
•Four-into-one exhaust headers and heat insulators
•Oil pan and baffle plate
•Alternator clutch system
•Engine and transmission oil coolers
•Spark plugs

Digging Into the Metal •The new cylinder heads improve the 2UR-GSE engine’s breathing with improved porting and a high-flow/high tumble ratio. In addition, intake surge-tank capacity has been optimized, as have the intake manifold runner length and diameter.
•The new oil pan baffle shape reduces agitation and hence friction, while new air-to-oil coolers for the engine oil and transmission fluid increase track suitability.
•The Lexus D-4S dual-injection system has been redesigned, with higher injection pressure of 2,611 psi and improved fuel atomization.
•The throttle diameter was increased by 10 percent, from 3 to 3.3 inches (84 mm).
•A new intake camshaft profile increases valve lift and suits the Atkinson cycle, while improvements to the electronic VVT-iE system have expanded its range of operation for increased fuel economy and performance.
•New four-into-two exhaust headers help reduce interference and hence further improve engine breathing. The larger-diameter exhaust system is designed to reduce backpressure and sound amazing, especially under acceleration. At the same time, the main muffler keeps things from getting too rowdy at lower speeds.
•As a final touch, the new 2UR-GSE engine has a one-way clutch on the alternator pulley.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread