RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 05:01 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
5/10ths = bus lengths?

OMG. This is getting just ridiculous at how the RC-F gets trashed. I know RC-F has it flaws, but by the same token I don't own the car, but I feel for the owners on this forum and the unfair flack and disrespect this gets by Lexus owners (no offense, but particularly IS-F owners and it is a very consistent pattern).

That is 5 car lengths at best according to my calculations in the 112 - 117 mph trap speed range.

p.s. A "solid 12 seconds" car means something that can consistently and repeatedly get that number. The M4 cannot. Plain and simple.

Look at this video and tell me at the finish line that 3/10ths at 115 mph trap speed is "bus lengths". It is 3 car lengths at best.
Dont know how much racing you do, but anything more than 2 lengths and still pulling is a buss, and 3 lengths and still pulling is a train. I understand a lot of the RCF guys get upset and defensive when someone points out the fact that its slower than the M3/M4, but its really a fact that's not too important. Having driven the RCF yesterday back to back against my ISF, I know for sure that the car was designed to present a pleasant driving experience instead of win any form of racing. The car feels great and has a great interior, but is definitely slower than the competition when racing. All you need to do is drive the car to really understand what its about. Arguing about how much faster the M3/M4 is is pointless, especially when its common knowledge that for pocket money those cars make over 500whp.

RCF is a beautiful cruiser with great technology that helps it around a track... Hence, so many people have already put vossens on them.

Edit: Just saw this review and couldn't agree more

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 02-26-15 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 06:27 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Dont know how much racing you do, but anything more than 2 lengths and still pulling is a buss, and 3 lengths and still pulling is a train. I understand a lot of the RCF guys get upset and defensive when someone points out the fact that its slower than the M3/M4, but its really a fact that's not too important. Having driven the RCF yesterday back to back against my ISF, I know for sure that the car was designed to present a pleasant driving experience instead of win any form of racing. The car feels great and has a great interior, but is definitely slower than the competition when racing. All you need to do is drive the car to really understand what its about. Arguing about how much faster the M3/M4 is is pointless, especially when its common knowledge that for pocket money those cars make over 500whp.

RCF is a beautiful cruiser with great technology that helps it around a track... Hence, so many people have already put vossens on them.

Edit: Just saw this review and couldn't agree more
Chris Harris on Cars - Lexus RCF road and track test. - YouTube
Hallelujah, you are my new idol. Agree completely with every word

Last edited by oohpapi44; 02-26-15 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 06:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RCF is a GT car and thats what I like. If I wanted a blistering fast sportscar why would I even look at lexus or BMW, way better options out there. But I want a GT car that can be driven every day since cars are meant to be driven
Old 02-26-15, 07:01 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RCF is a GT car and thats what I like. If I wanted a blistering fast sportscar why would I even look at lexus or BMW, way better options out there. But I want a GT car that can be driven every day since cars are meant to be driven
EXACTLY!!! the RCF can stand on it's own merits without anyone having to knock down the competition and make crazy assertions. its a very fast, luxurious coupe that will provide a decade+ of enjoyment to anyone that owns it.

how come that can't be enough?
Old 02-26-15, 10:08 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
EXACTLY!!! the RCF can stand on it's own merits without anyone having to knock down the competition and make crazy assertions. its a very fast, luxurious coupe that will provide a decade+ of enjoyment to anyone that owns it.

how come that can't be enough?
I think the reason for this is the presentation and expectations Lexus ( and maybe magazines as well ) gave us. The commercials may differ from country to country, but RC-F was presented like a brutal V8 powered track car in europe and the looks of it made it even more spectacular. People were speaking of a "LFA light".

But I agree that I as a Lexus owner for the last 15 years should have known better. I know very well how they think and that their definition of perfection and evolution ( not talking about reliability here ) not always equals the german thinking.
Old 02-26-15, 10:29 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
5/10ths = bus lengths?

OMG. This is getting just ridiculous at how the RC-F gets trashed. I know RC-F has it flaws, but by the same token I don't own the car, but I feel for the owners on this forum and the unfair flack and disrespect this gets by Lexus owners (no offense, but particularly IS-F owners and it is a very consistent pattern).
Should see how much the C6 owners trashed the C7 ones...
Old 02-26-15, 10:31 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
I think the reason for this is the presentation and expectations Lexus ( and maybe magazines as well ) gave us. The commercials may differ from country to country, but RC-F was presented like a brutal V8 powered track car in europe and the looks of it made it even more spectacular. People were speaking of a "LFA light".

But I agree that I as a Lexus owner for the last 15 years should have known better. I know very well how they think and that their definition of perfection and evolution ( not talking about reliability here ) not always equals the german thinking.
Sorry guys, but this is a lot of fustian and "long live the IS F" chanting and hail the M4--enough.

Explain why the RC F has topped the M4 is some comparative runs. Explain why the TVD corners like a demon--well beyond anything its turbo competitor can manage. Explain why many drivers are rattled by the near uncontrollable oversteer at speed.

The RCF is faster and more capable than the STOCK IS F I just traded, and for the majority of us the RC F is the best path to securing a useful and RELIABLE track car and daily driver. To infer this car was not designed for track time or to race is humorous.

Remember the near dead heat time on the Head-to-Head with Carlos. This is an interesting comment pulled from the "Lexus Enthusiast":

"Victory for Lexus, considering it was over $10,000 cheaper, and not comparably equipped with carbon ceramics, which took away extra weight from the M4 while giving the M4 a competitive advantage. The Lexus could have even set a better lap time given similar specs... Also, they tried real hard (almost busting a lung at 8:48) to make it look like that oversteer in the BMW was so "fun", but they were forced to recant at the end and say that it could have been bad, because the lap time video clearly shows it. The BMW did not look well planted at all, and like in other videos I have seen with the M4, it seems like the so much torque, down so low in the rev range is working against it in the mid corner and corner exits. That is a problem on the street, especially in the wet; look at how hard it seemed to be to control in the dry by a professional driver, on the track. Carlos also noted it oversteering at 105mph; not good to me, especially on the street. The BMW has the same 1980s look and style, interior and exterior, only modernized; a negative not commented on by MT, of course. RC-F is way hotter, that's what they call charisma. Notice how they don't go into detail on what they dont like about the looks, just making a generalized, subjective statement as if it were true, a justification for putting it in second place.And surprise, no road test, where the RC F would have been more than likely better; where 95% of people will be driving these cars on a daily basis. In the past, they MT and american mags like C/D would "cheat" for BMW by declaring a Lexus model not "sporty enough" after making the BMW the only stick shift or sports package in the comparo test, and giving the Lexus a second place score because of that. Now the Lexus is clearly sporty enough, but they are still not making the comparison fair. Its funny how being down 400lbs and low range torque only turned out a .3 second difference in this case. The .3 could be down to the ceramics or other factors like driver error. Lol also Carlos body language shows he does not or is not allowed to say the RC F is better, mostly saying what it is not. When he said the sound is better, he bit his tongue and his face was like he was not supposed to say that (7:57)..... These videos also use clever editing to only make us hear certain comments that highlight certain strengths or weaknesses using words like 'fun' 'soft' etc about a particular car..... Trust me, there were alot of other comments that probably could have made the final cut, the ones used were specifically chosen. All my opinions of course, I still like the M4; not sure if it is really that much better as they keep trying to make us believe."

Although this "debate" will continue ad infinitum, the discussion on the alleged superiority of either the RC F or M4 remains a dead heat with one clear exception--reliability.
Attached Thumbnails RC F automotive reviews thread-2015-j.-d.-power-u.s.-vehicle-dependability-study.jpg  
Old 02-26-15, 12:38 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Sorry guys, but this is a lot of fustian and "long live the IS F" chanting and hail the M4--enough.

Explain why the RC F has topped the M4 is some comparative runs. Explain why the TVD corners like a demon--well beyond anything its turbo competitor can manage. Explain why many drivers are rattled by the near uncontrollable oversteer at speed.

The RCF is faster and more capable than the STOCK IS F I just traded, and for the majority of us the RC F is the best path to securing a useful and RELIABLE track car and daily driver. To infer this car was not designed for track time or to race is humorous.

Remember the near dead heat time on the Head-to-Head with Carlos. This is an interesting comment pulled from the "Lexus Enthusiast":

"Victory for Lexus, considering it was over $10,000 cheaper, and not comparably equipped with carbon ceramics, which took away extra weight from the M4 while giving the M4 a competitive advantage. The Lexus could have even set a better lap time given similar specs... Also, they tried real hard (almost busting a lung at 8:48) to make it look like that oversteer in the BMW was so "fun", but they were forced to recant at the end and say that it could have been bad, because the lap time video clearly shows it. The BMW did not look well planted at all, and like in other videos I have seen with the M4, it seems like the so much torque, down so low in the rev range is working against it in the mid corner and corner exits. That is a problem on the street, especially in the wet; look at how hard it seemed to be to control in the dry by a professional driver, on the track. Carlos also noted it oversteering at 105mph; not good to me, especially on the street. The BMW has the same 1980s look and style, interior and exterior, only modernized; a negative not commented on by MT, of course. RC-F is way hotter, that's what they call charisma. Notice how they don't go into detail on what they dont like about the looks, just making a generalized, subjective statement as if it were true, a justification for putting it in second place.And surprise, no road test, where the RC F would have been more than likely better; where 95% of people will be driving these cars on a daily basis. In the past, they MT and american mags like C/D would "cheat" for BMW by declaring a Lexus model not "sporty enough" after making the BMW the only stick shift or sports package in the comparo test, and giving the Lexus a second place score because of that. Now the Lexus is clearly sporty enough, but they are still not making the comparison fair. Its funny how being down 400lbs and low range torque only turned out a .3 second difference in this case. The .3 could be down to the ceramics or other factors like driver error. Lol also Carlos body language shows he does not or is not allowed to say the RC F is better, mostly saying what it is not. When he said the sound is better, he bit his tongue and his face was like he was not supposed to say that (7:57)..... These videos also use clever editing to only make us hear certain comments that highlight certain strengths or weaknesses using words like 'fun' 'soft' etc about a particular car..... Trust me, there were alot of other comments that probably could have made the final cut, the ones used were specifically chosen. All my opinions of course, I still like the M4; not sure if it is really that much better as they keep trying to make us believe."

Although this "debate" will continue ad infinitum, the discussion on the alleged superiority of either the RC F or M4 remains a dead heat with one clear exception--reliability.
Lexus did intend for enthusiastic drivers to have fun on the track from time to time but the RC F is not a track star. It's a GT car. It's weight and gadgets are proof it wasn't meant to be a regular trackster. It can be fun but you're not going to have the fastest times consistently. Lexus could have easily added more power and/or reduce the weight but its a GT car. You will have fun pushing it. But I would bet 10K on a race against a car built for the track.
Old 02-26-15, 12:54 PM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
This is the exact reason i got the RCF...its a modern luxury GT..that is also very reliable, safe, has a sick tach., nice styling, big breaks, relatively good fuel economy, sick sounding engine (waiting for exhaust upgrades ), auto-spoiler, nice interior, banging sound system, nice touches like the capacitive LED lights near the sunroof controls, the bezel free rear view mirror, LED headlamps and DRLs, integrated LED turn lights into the DRLs, LED lighting in the doors (just for looks), electrochromic rear and side mirrors, aaaaand i can go on and on....im sure some of these features you will only discover once you actually get into it and drive it... I'm feeling like a sales person.

Point is, i didn't get the car to race, i got it to enjoy seeing it and using it day in and day out. I'm not saying it can't go fast
Old 02-26-15, 01:34 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3IS350Guy
This is the exact reason i got the RCF...its a modern luxury GT..that is also very reliable, safe, has a sick tach., nice styling, big breaks, relatively good fuel economy, sick sounding engine (waiting for exhaust upgrades ), auto-spoiler, nice interior, banging sound system, nice touches like the capacitive LED lights near the sunroof controls, the bezel free rear view mirror, LED headlamps and DRLs, integrated LED turn lights into the DRLs, LED lighting in the doors (just for looks), electrochromic rear and side mirrors, aaaaand i can go on and on....im sure some of these features you will only discover once you actually get into it and drive it... I'm feeling like a sales person.

Point is, i didn't get the car to race, i got it to enjoy seeing it and using it day in and day out. I'm not saying it can't go fast
kudos to you. a man secure in the money he spent and WHY he spent it. no need to denigrate the comp...highlight what YOU have.

Old 02-26-15, 01:46 PM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

kudos to you. a man secure in the money he spent and WHY he spent it. no need to denigrate the comp...highlight what YOU have.

Thanks, i prefer to water my own grass to keep it nice and green
Old 02-26-15, 02:55 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But all my friends said I will be slow and can't sleep at night I have to have the fastest most bestest car to make everyone love me lolrof
Old 02-26-15, 06:26 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Lexus Turns Heads...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...or-performance
Old 02-26-15, 07:10 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Top Gear--March Issue

Read Slide by Slide in the interactive magazine. I could not copy the file.

Short of it: the 363:2 rule.

Most will admittedly track their car 2 days per year.

TG picked the M4 for the 2 days (winner) but the RC F for the 363.
Old 02-26-15, 08:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Does that mean just rent a M4 for 2 days , and buy a RC F to own long term ?

If that's the case , why even rent a M4 when you can rent a Ferrari or other exotics just for 2 days a year

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread