RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 07:47 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
There is no way a C63 S weighs 3600#. It has a ton more power and torque than an M3 yet gets the same 3.9 0-60 time?.
We should all know by now that the 0-60 time is a grip issue only , nothing else. You could add another 200 hp and the Merc would probably get slower than Rc-F up to 100 mph. Or simply make it AWD.
Old 02-25-15, 10:19 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

This has been posted like a bazillion times. You are not looking hard enough since M4 has weighed about 3610 lbs in many tests (with DCT). For example, the RC-F vs M4 test by Motor Trend.

Originally Posted by isflimited
Again, where is your over 3600 lb figure? You're also guessing that the items he removed (a manual and trunk net LOL) and some gas will get you to the reported 3540..right (but does the BMW reported curb weight actually include FULL gas - go check). Yes BMW misled, but they also countered with understated power by the absolute majority of dynos out there to show this car is delivering about 420 rear wheel power to the base (as supported by a 12 second or under quarter mile).

There is a strong possibility C63 weighs around 3600 lbs. 0 to 60 3.9s is an estimate and as the poster above me alluded to, it's likely a grip issue as the C63s has 255 wide rear tires versus the M3's 275.
Old 02-25-15, 10:49 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I was referring to the F80 here, since the discussion has been about sedans. Read better.
Yes, I read your post. You still refuse to understand what I am saying. As 4tehngyen said, the thread you posted about the weight is laughable. His point is valid, no one knows what the owner has and more important has not on the car. No one has proof, if he has taken things out of the car.

Here you go. This particular configuration is a 6 speed manual M3 and it was put on a scale and it weighs 3600 lbs. Add another 30 - 40 lbs for the DCT weight and a DCT comparably equipped would have tipped the scale at 3630 - 3640 lbs.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...roup-a-bmw-m3/

(as supported by a 12 second or under quarter mile).
It is a low-12 seconds car at best. The trap speed is the best indicator of how much power and it is consistent with low-to-mid 12s. That is what neutral objective testing shows consistently shows. Yes, there was some so-called freak run of 11.6 seconds at ATCO, but that has been well documented to be a quick track. Whether there is an elevation kink or powder track compound on it, it yields quicker than average times. There was a video a few years ago of a stock E46 M3 running 12.2 seconds on the ATCO track.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-25-15 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the one in that test was a DCT
Old 02-25-15, 10:58 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the one in that test was a DCT
Check the edit again. 3595 lbs for BMW M3 with 6 speed manual. 1/4 mile 12.3@114 mph.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...roup-a-bmw-m3/
Old 02-25-15, 05:03 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Justin Bell and Townsend Bell go head-to-head once again during this episode of Shut Up and Drive, but this time they do it behind the wheel of the 467-hp RC F.

Both drivers take advantage of the long straights at Palm Beach International Raceway, and let the V8 stretch its legs.

See if Justin wins out or if Townsend has enough talent to bring the RC F across the finish line first.
Old 02-25-15, 06:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

While you might not like to admit it, it's not a low 12 second car "at best": While not an M3, the M4 (heavier than the base M3) got an instrumented objective tested 3.7s 0 to 60 and a 12.0s quarter mile with DCT:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

You're going to call their test a freak test too? At the end of the day, it's C63s and M3 and then everything else miles behind.
Short answer - Absolutely not.

The way I look at, can it hold up well against solid 12 seconds cars? It cannot. For example, a Porsche 911 Carrera S with PDK is a solid 12 - 12.1 seconds car and it is quicker than the M4. Same with Jaguar F Type R or Stingray Corvette.

If you want to believe the M4 is a 12 seconds car then you will have to bump the other cars that run 12 seconds, but are known to be faster than the M4 relatively speaking.

Most importantly, in a head-to-head drag race, the M4 was 5/10ths quick han RC-F in the same conditions and same track with the same driver.

RC-F is certainly not "a mile" behind. It was only 3/10th slower than M4 (equipped with optional carbon ceramic brakes) with Randy Pobst on the same track.

I think this video demonstrates what a "solid" 12 seconds performs like versus an M4.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-25-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 09:14 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 02-25-15, 09:35 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Short answer - Absolutely not.

The way I look at, can it hold up well against solid 12 seconds cars? It cannot. For example, a Porsche 911 Carrera S with PDK is a solid 12 - 12.1 seconds car and it is quicker than the M4. Same with Jaguar F Type R or Stingray Corvette.

If you want to believe the M4 is a 12 seconds car then you will have to bump the other cars that run 12 seconds, but are known to be faster than the M4 relatively speaking.

Most importantly, in a head-to-head drag race, the M4 was 5/10ths quick han RC-F in the same conditions and same track with the same driver.

RC-F is certainly not "a mile" behind. It was only 3/10th slower than M4 (equipped with optional carbon ceramic brakes) with Randy Pobst on the same track.

I think this video demonstrates what a "solid" 12 seconds performs like versus an M4.

BMW M4 vs Corvette Stingray - YouTube
so wait...you used a video where a twin turbo 3 liter V6 just punches it from a dig...against a car with twice the displacement doing the same...as proof positive that the M4 isnt a 'solid 12 sec car'. why use that video to illustrate a point when no tests are done in that manner (ie...brake torquing/launch control)? did you expect anything different with a highly boosted car thats just idling vs a 6 liter v8? and we're just gonna ignore what happened when they went from a roll (which demonstrates, more accurately, how much power each car has)?

and then youre just gonna ignore how comparable both cars are in the real world?

Last edited by DrRick; 02-25-15 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 09:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Your interjections of subjective qualifiers are amusing. "Solid" 12 second cars. Oh, you mean the Jaguar F-type R that you cited which is potentially in the high 11 range? with dramatically more horsepower and torque?:
OK, this is becoming ludicrous. The point of it was that there are several of 12 seconds car that are quicker than the M4 in a head to head race when put on the same road side by side. If one of the examples (for which I had seen a 12.0 seconds test a while back) was a 2/10ths quicker, that still does not change the fact that there are many 12.0 seconds car that are quicker than the M4.

In German car tests (AMS, AutoZeitung etc.) have done several direct head to head comparisons with Carrera S and it simply outclasses the M4 in every department and it is typically in the range of 12.1 - 12.3 seconds in those tests.

M4 is a low-to-mid 12 seconds range car. There is far more evidence of 12.2 - 12.4 seconds for the M4/M3 than there are 12.0 seconds. Simply no one can ever deny that, with objective and rational thinking.

At least the Jaguar F type garnered 5 stars like the M3/M4 from caranddriver - RCF? not so much. And not so much in nearly all other publications too.
Wrong. Road and track actually liked the RC-F more than the M4 for the "Performance car of the year" where they had a three way debate between M4, RC-F and Jaguar F Type R. They eliminated the M4 immediately and then it was between RC-F and M4.

And way to interject track speed tests to this discussion when we're discussing straight line speeds. Track times and conditions have more variability. If anything, having a driver drive 2 different cars back to back on the same track immediately after one another induces more variability as the driver's experience and intuition with the other car is fresh in mind.
Absolute BS. I quoted the test where RC-F and M4 were driven by the same driver, same day, same conditions and back to back. It could not get anymore apples to apples than that. If you want come up with your lame excuses, you go right ahead

(Maybe, it makes you feel better about your IS-F by putting down the RC-F? Perhaps?)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-25-15 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 09:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrRick
so wait...you used a video where a twin turbo 3 liter V6 just punches it from a dig...against a car with twice the displacement doing the same...as proof positive that the M4 isnt a 'solid 12 sec car'. why use that video to illustrate a point when no tests are done in that manner (ie...brake torquing/launch control)? did you expect anything different with a highly boosted car thats just idling vs a 6 liter v8? and we're just gonna ignore what happened when they went from a roll (which demonstrates, more accurately, how much power each car has)?

and then youre just gonna ignore how comparable both cars are in the real world?

i guess we're just lucky that both cars didnt just spin out with all that low end torque
It would not have ended any other way no matter what. The M4 would have lost convincingly, IMO.

That was one example. Even a Juice Box Stage 4 (not 1, 2 or 3) tuned M4 could barely inch out a bone stock 6 speed manual Stingray (slower than auto) from a rolling start (no launch variability). In another one, a Dinan tuned M4 got beaten by a stock Stingray 8AT. Way too many videos all showing the same pattern.

I only wanted to post stock vs stock to make it apples to apples, which is why I picked that video.

Both of my prime examples (Porsche 911 Carrera S and Stingray) are typically tested somewhere in the low 12s. All I am saying is, the M4 is far more a low-to-mid-12 seconds car than anything else. I believe no one can deny this statement.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-25-15 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:19 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Most importantly, 5/10ths at those trap speeds is equivalent to a bus length. It's not even close. You can split hairs all you want talking about whether the F8X is a "solid 12 second car" (What does that even mean?) at the end of the day, the RC-F is not in the same league in terms of acceleration. Fact.
Old 02-25-15, 10:23 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

It would not have ended any other way no matter what.

OK, that was one example. Even a Juice Box Stage 4 (not 1, 2 or 3) tuned M4 could barely inch out a bone stock 6 speed manual Stingray (slower than auto) from a rolling start (no launch variability). In another one, a Dinan tuned M4 got beaten by a stock Stingray 8AT. Way too many videos all showing the same pattern.

I only wanted to post stock vs stock to make it apples to apples, which is why I picked that video.

Both of my prime examples (Porsche 911 Carrera S and Stingray) are typically tested somewhere in the low 12s.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4
c'mon, man. youre gonna tell me that a JB4 on map 7 (there's not such thing as a 'stage' on the Burger Tunes) is gonna barely inch on a stock Vette when its putting 500/500 with race gas and bolt ons? hell...there are videos of the JB4 with map 1 (tune only) trapping 122+ mph.

thats 3 mph faster than any stock vette has posted on DT...

this is JB4 on map 7 vs a FBO GTR making about 600/600. and you think it would barely inch on a stock vette?

Last edited by DrRick; 02-25-15 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by primecut
Most importantly, 5/10ths at those trap speeds is equivalent to a bus length. It's not even close. You can split hairs all you want talking about whether the F8X is a "solid 12 second car" (What does that even mean?) at the end of the day, the RC-F is not in the same league in terms of acceleration. Fact.
5/10ths = bus lengths?

OMG. This is getting just ridiculous at how the RC-F gets trashed. I know RC-F has it flaws, but by the same token I don't own the car, but I feel for the owners on this forum and the unfair flack and disrespect this gets by Lexus owners (no offense, but particularly IS-F owners and it is a very consistent pattern).

That is 5 car lengths at best according to my calculations in the 112 - 117 mph trap speed range.

p.s. A "solid 12 seconds" car means something that can consistently and repeatedly get that number. The M4 cannot. Plain and simple.

Look at this video and tell me at the finish line that 3/10ths at 115 mph trap speed is "bus lengths". It is 3 car lengths at best.

And while we are at:

Juice Box 4 Tuned BMW M4 vs Stock Corvette Stingray 6 speed manual

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-25-15 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:48 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

And while we are at:

Juice Box 4 Tuned BMW M4 vs Stock Corvette Stingray 6 speed manual

M4 JB4 Stage 1 Vs. C7 Corvette Stingray - YouTube
thats on map 1. the '4' in 'Juice Box 4' doesnt have anything to do with stages....they are all tuning maps that you access from the steering wheel buttons.

anywho...this looks like its about to take a turn so im gonna eject before i get lumped into the collateral damage. let the record show that my posts had NOTHING to do with the RCF vs anything. hahahahaa

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread