RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 12:24 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
This is because the 1st few years include maintenance on the BMW, even wiper-blades. Take it outside of warranty, that's what a in warranty car vs an out of warranty car is about 10k+ difference.
Agreed but since there is no such thing as an out of warranty M4 that exists yet then there is no data backing up the statement on which to base it.

And that 10k may be meaningless in the long run because of how much cheaper you can pick up the M at the end of the warranty period. links are showing a 12k difference. Everything balances out in the end.
Old 02-18-15, 03:59 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DShiekhi
Chris Harris Gets His Hands on the RC F

On its website, Lexus states the RC F was "developed to satisfy the most demanding driving enthusiasts." Apparently, they didn't know who Chris Harris is when they went to the engineering lab and test track...or did they?

Read the rest on the ClubLexus.com homepage. >>
Chris "BMW" Harris = Predictable Verdicts on RC F. He apparently prefers out of control over steer, turbo lag off boost and at full puff, and conveniently has overlooked the RC F better track times at the certified AMCI, Road & Track PCOTY Motown mile...and the near dead heat times in the Motortrend test.

Go Chris.

Last edited by ISF001; 02-18-15 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 04:20 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

This is because the 1st few years include maintenance on the BMW, even wiper-blades. Take it outside of warranty, that's what a in warranty car vs an out of warranty car is about 10k+ difference.
And a good thing for the bimmer owners. I am sure that there are others in the club who lived the BMW maintenance experience. I knew more than I cared to know about the Service Manager and his family.
Old 02-18-15, 04:34 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris Harris review is only his own thoughts. What he feels has nothing to do with reality in terms of performance or lap times. We all know that the difference in laptimes between M4 and Rc-F is very small, probably CH too.
Old 02-19-15, 10:13 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Lexus RCF Review: A Track Day Beast Unleashed

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/608...east-unleashed
Old 02-19-15, 10:32 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Same, I never ordered the car to track it and I think it would not be the best for that kind of work. It's nice to see that it was tested on a track so I know if I do hammer on it some it's not going to overheat or not stop

I think he is right as in the more you drive it the more you will like the car.
I don't think most of the buyers are going to track it.

The response is just so typical Chris Harris ala BMW.

The RCF has already proven its track prowess in comparisons with the M4 (and RS5). It just irks me (and I believe others) that he thinks the car can be dismissed when the track results have more than once pointed in the opposition direction with the RCF on top.

The M4 is a veritable coffin on wheels for the majority of the buyers--excessive over steering combined with uncontrollable and unpredictable turbo lag and boost can rapidly overpower the driver. It's a wrestling match with no winner.

I would conjecture the RCF was submitted to at least as much track testing as the M4--if not more. Pound away! It's the turbo-powered engine that's likely to incur major problems within the first 20-30K miles. The ISF is testimony to how Lexus' V8 is a true thoroughbred.

BTW: If I were Lexus, I too would have made him cross the great pond to only drive the new beast 2 laps, and then sent him home with his tail between his legs. Presumptuous, slipshod, and "wishful thinking" is how I interpret this imperious piece of yellow journalism on Harris' "drive."
Old 02-19-15, 11:53 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF001
The RCF has already proven its track prowess in comparisons with the M4 (and RS5). It just irks me (and I believe others) that he thinks the car can be dismissed when the track results have more than once pointed in the opposition direction with the RCF on top.
Track results =/= a car that you would want to drive on a track. I would much rather have a lighter and more tossable car at a track than one that feels heavy and cumbersome. Thats what Harris is talking about.

The M4 is a veritable coffin on wheels for the majority of the buyers--excessive over steering combined with uncontrollable and unpredictable turbo lag and boost can rapidly overpower the driver. It's a wrestling match with no winner.
Was the Supra with its unpredictable turbo lag and boost a coffin on the wheels too? Any car is a death trap if you drive it like an idiot. Oversteer is not dangerous, its fun. BRZ/FRS, case and point.

I would conjecture the RCF was submitted to at least as much track testing as the M4--if not more. Pound away! It's the turbo-powered engine that's likely to incur major problems within the first 20-30K miles. The ISF is testimony to how Lexus' V8 is a true thoroughbred.
Pure conjecture about engine problems...but to be fair a Lexus will always be more reliable.

Why do car forums have such biased knee jerk reactions now days? You dont have to like the M4, but the fact of the matter is in terms of fun on the track the RCF has nothing on it. On the road its a matter of preference. I love the mid range kick of a turbo engine, but a NA V8 sounds pretty amazing too.
Old 02-19-15, 01:48 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by czar07
Why do car forums have such biased knee jerk reactions now days?
Yea I think it's getting worse, the number of fanboys on forums are making them less enjoyable. I've found CL to be a rather respectful and informative forum over the years, hopefully it doesn't start becoming like Zilvia or Bimmerforums.
Old 02-19-15, 04:26 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Yea I think it's getting worse, the number of fanboys on forums are making them less enjoyable.
I agree, some are to the point, they border on paid support they're so unbelievably pro biased.
Old 02-19-15, 04:33 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by czar07
Why do car forums have such biased knee jerk reactions now days? You dont have to like the M4, but the fact of the matter is in terms of fun on the track the RCF has nothing on it. On the road its a matter of preference. I love the mid range kick of a turbo engine, but a NA V8 sounds pretty amazing too.
Different strokes for different folks. Track time is about time for serious drivers. Drifting may be fun but it is not fast.

We buy cars for different reasons. I bought the carbon TVD for closed circuit and just everyday fun when conditions permit. Harris gave a provincial review at best of what at this point appears to be the faster track car. There is plenty of time to disprove or confirm his cursory glance.

We buy cars for different reasons.

Last edited by ISF001; 02-19-15 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 05:03 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Recombu RC F Review

http://recombu.com/cars/article/lexus-rc-f-review
Old 02-19-15, 07:07 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Test Drive at Mount Panorama

Old 02-19-15, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I agree, some are to the point, they border on paid support they're so unbelievably pro biased.
i probably missed your post before, but why did you cancel the rcf order?
Old 02-20-15, 12:17 AM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Because people (myself included) like to feel and have others agree with them that they have made the right choice, despite of the few shortcomings.

The main reason I didn't go with the M4 is the really bad warranty support in my country. I've heard stories of how some components have failed for no reason within months of purchase and the dealer refuse to cover it.
Old 02-20-15, 09:09 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rcf15
Because people (myself included) like to feel and have others agree with them that they have made the right choice, despite of the few shortcomings.

The main reason I didn't go with the M4 is the really bad warranty support in my country. I've heard stories of how some components have failed for no reason within months of purchase and the dealer refuse to cover it.
Precisely. Like you, I considered the M4 as well--had to look at it.

I found this comparison video of interest.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread