Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus RC F 2015 Review-Motoring.com.au

http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2...5-review-49210
Old 02-17-15, 03:48 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://media.drive.com.au/cars/car-r...w-6253088.html

One quick comment: the RC F actually has faster down shifts than up shifts in the Sport + and manual modes.

A sustained pull of the paddle will drop 2-3 gears if the Driving speed is low. Frankly, I rarely drive my IS F in 8th gear--it's not where the excitement is happening.

Overall, the video offers an informative and slightly different perspective on the RC F.
Old 02-17-15, 06:44 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris Harris again

Old 02-17-15, 08:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

boohoo CH doesnt like it because its hard to power slide
Old 02-17-15, 08:55 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He should try to drive the car in the expert mode for the power slide.
Old 02-17-15, 09:18 AM
Razorthin1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waynesreef
He should try to drive the car in the expert mode for the power slide.
I'm sure he knows how to change the settings on the car...

11 minutes of Chris Harris pooping on the RC-F. That was harsh. Cue the character assassination and "bias" replies.
But he's saying the same thing that most reviews have said: good cruiser, accessible to drive, but a step behind the competition.

The RCF is a solid first try for Lexus. Let's see if they can attract enough buyers to make the RCF a permanent part of the lineup.
Old 02-17-15, 11:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Both cars are respectively fast, low 4s vs mid 4s, can you really tell that much of a difference timewise. What matters is the power delivery which is completely different between both cars. M4 will have the kick you in the nuts feeling because of the boost kicking in, NAs dont have this feeling. It will "feel" slower because of this. 0-60 the RCF is slowe but not that much slower. He can talk about feel all he wants but we already have two tests where the RCF was near even with the M4 but we dont have any tests where the M4 is a clear winner. Which is what it should be when looking on paper.

CH has made some questionable and inconsistent comments in the past. RCF and the engine are outdated (yet it has so far kept up with M4???), M3 torque is managable (yet a number of reviewers complaining about the twitchy grip, and Randy Probst sawing at the wheel), then the wrote an article lamenting about the 911s move to all turbos and its going to lose its NA driveability (go back to RCF engine outdated remark).

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-17-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-17-15, 11:24 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
But you know 6:48 forward is where 99.9% of your time is spent, if you got this car for a pure track car your doing it wrong. If you got this car to drive to work and have a good time and some back roads / mountains it's perfect for that, add in Lexus's best in class fit and finish and cost to maintain and reliability and it's a winner.

For a track car I will be looking at the new NSX / GT3 different cars but I would take the RCF for a daily driver over about anything on the market.
Old 02-17-15, 12:58 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you consider the Lexus brand, it’s fair to say two things will immediately spring to mind: benchmark luxury and a customer service ethic that is hard to surpass.

But this is no ordinary Lexus, it’s the all-new high-performance RC F Coupe and CarAdvice is here at Bathurst’s iconic Mount Panorama to test its metal – on the track.
Old 02-17-15, 05:43 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Both cars are respectively fast, low 4s vs mid 4s, can you really tell that much of a difference timewise. What matters is the power delivery which is completely different between both cars. M4 will have the kick you in the nuts feeling because of the boost kicking in, NAs dont have this feeling. It will "feel" slower because of this. 0-60 the RCF is slowe but not that much slower. He can talk about feel all he wants but we already have two tests where the RCF was near even with the M4 but we dont have any tests where the M4 is a clear winner. Which is what it should be when looking on paper.

CH has made some questionable and inconsistent comments in the past. RCF and the engine are outdated (yet it has so far kept up with M4???), M3 torque is managable (yet a number of reviewers complaining about the twitchy grip, and Randy Probst sawing at the wheel), then the wrote an article lamenting about the 911s move to all turbos and its going to lose its NA driveability (go back to RCF engine outdated remark).
Yes this is really weird. I could understand his argumentation if turbo was something new or that maybe M4 revolutioned the turbo in any way ( like Tesla did with electric cars ) But both are false. We all know that the only "real" reason BMW has for the huge expansion in use of turbos is better results in the completely inaccurate european driving cycle.
Old 02-17-15, 06:24 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Chris Harris' review is another positive one in my books, I didn't realise so many RCF owners wanted a car better suited for the track.
Old 02-17-15, 06:34 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Chris Harris' review is another positive one in my books, I didn't realise so many RCF owners wanted a car better suited for the track.
Same, I never ordered the car to track it and I think it would not be the best for that kind of work. It's nice to see that it was tested on a track so I know if I do hammer on it some it's not going to overheat or not stop

I think he is right as in the more you drive it the more you will like the car.

Last edited by Ryanmcd; 02-17-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 07:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I think Chris Harris gave an honest review and his expectations were a bit too high.
For his driving style and the fact he has the skills to fully explore the M4 limits, M4 is the better fit for him. As he stated - most ppl will use it for Street rather than track purpose and thats where RCF can hold its own.

RCF is not a revolutionary car, its basically a more polished version of an E92 M3 with a little more power.
I personally like it better than M4, but it doesnt have that magic that LFA seemed to have which won over a lot of the auto journalists.

He praised the styling especially exterior which is something no journalist has done, most hate it.

If Lexus keeps on improving the car through its life cycle like it did with ISF, it has potential to be even better in coming years.

Big part y i like the RCF is the engine, it may be a bit slower but it sounds incredible.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-17-15 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 08:09 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
How do you evaluate a car for the track by trying to drift it around all the curves?

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread