RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 11:16 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I contacted Alex Kierstein, the Road and Track Web Editor, in regards to why the R&T magazine copy of the PCOTY 2015 article was showing a 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds for the Lexus RC-F yet the online article was showing a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds (especially when the 1/4 mile time and trap speed was 12.7 sec @ 113.0 mph). Below is his response stating that 4.3 seconds is the correct 0-60 time for the RC-F (not 3.9):
That is absolutely hilarious..... two months of nonsensical debate on wrong information stated as fact. Line the two cars up and the better driver is going to win no matter the track, street or universe.
Old 12-08-14, 11:33 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
That is absolutely hilarious..... two months of nonsensical debate on wrong information stated as fact. Line the two cars up and the better driver is going to win no matter the track, street or universe.
Hear! Hear!

With that said, not into spec racing. Both cars are awesome. Buy what speaks to you.
Old 12-08-14, 11:55 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I said a few days ago there was an issue with the 3.9 - 12.7 times, now the 12.7 makes sense with a 4.3 0-60 time, thanks for the leg work on this to clear it up.

Originally Posted by redspencer
I contacted Alex Kierstein, the Road and Track Web Editor, in regards to why the R&T magazine copy of the PCOTY 2015 article was showing a 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds for the Lexus RC-F yet the online article was showing a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds (especially when the 1/4 mile time and trap speed was 12.7 sec @ 113.0 mph). Below is his response stating that 4.3 seconds is the correct 0-60 time for the RC-F (not 3.9):
Old 12-08-14, 12:32 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOM3
Hmmm there is not one review or comparison where RC-F beats M3. So now that M3 has been labeled as "less soulful" car than previous generations I was expecting it's competitors to beat it. Well RC-F is out. Time to see what C63 AMG and ATS V bring.
M3 is a sedan. The M4 is the coupe. Not getting your comparison, and not seeing where youre getting your information from either.
Old 12-08-14, 01:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

performance wise the M3/M4 are near identical. They only weigh 10# apart actually. M3 has better proportions and is cheaper than the M4, so would rather have the M3 than the M4
Old 12-08-14, 02:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Hmmm there is not one review or comparison where RC-F beats M3. So now that M3 has been labeled as "less soulful" car than previous generations I was expecting it's competitors to beat it. Well RC-F is out. Time to see what C63 AMG and ATS V bring.
Wrong. Road and track liked RC-F more than they liked M3. They put the RC-F on the level of Jaguar F Type R. That is the biggest complement they could give. They called the M3 "a nightmare" on the track. They hated the characteristics of no torque switch to suddenly a big spike in torque combined with the chassis' inability to cope with the sudden changes in torque to wheels.

RC-F:

The un-American takes on the pony-car formula, the Jaguar F-type R Coupe and the Lexus RC F, should attract the same customer in a similar fashion. Surprisingly, not a single staffer fails to articulate a distinct favorite between the two. On Team Lexus: Kierstein, Webster, and a few others. The interior's laser-cut precision, the undeniable caviar quality of the engine's broad powerband, and the rather astounding ability of the suspension to provide magic-carpet ride and max-g grip in a single package. For others, including myself, the F-type takes it. There's just so much power, so much adjustability at speed ("The rear's on casters!" Cammisa laughs), and did I mention the power? "Sounds so good I felt guilty," Senior Editor John Krewson admits. "I love this car … in small increments," RoadandTrack.com Editorial Director Alex Núñez says.
The only thing they did not like of the RC-F (a restrictor in the prototype or they simply did not know how, but RC-F does burn outs and can hit the rev limiter all day):

A similar experience, albeit with better seats and the excellent Mark Levinson stereo, should be available in the Lexus RC F. Unfortunately, it isn't, thanks to a cowardly stability-control computer that never stops nannying and can't be disengaged. The number of ways in which the Lexus will sabotage your lap is legion. I take a rerun, because I initially can't get the car to shift at redline, permit minor slip angles, and/or play Guns N' Roses without warning me that my feelings were at risk. "It won't do a burnout!" Cammisa moans. It also won't permit any of the tomfoolery for which its IS F predecessor was famous.
This is what they said about the M3 and how much they disliked the inability of the chassis to cope with the sudden and unpredictable torque spike

The M3 is the only car to actually scare me at the Motown Mile. Going around the fast final turn, the torque spikes and sends me into a long, lazy, 100-mph slide that I don't recover until well down the front straight. Forget this being a German Trans Am; it's a German Corvette. "This car is nightmarish to control under power," concurs Cammisa. "It's so much work, and there's no joy to be had as a result." Having driven the M3 before, on a larger track, I suggest that it needs a bigger venue to shine. Cammisa agrees.
Old 12-08-14, 03:28 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Neither car made it to the final three so what does it matter, no points were awarded that I know to classify the cars in any particular order. The M3 did run a 3.9 0-60 though, a real 3.9

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Wrong. Road and track liked RC-F more than they liked M3. They put the RC-F on the level of Jaguar F Type R. That is the biggest complement they could give. They called the M3 "a nightmare" on the track. They hated the characteristics of no torque switch to suddenly a big spike in torque combined with the chassis' inability to cope with the sudden changes in torque to wheels.

RC-F:

The only thing they did not like of the RC-F (a restrictor in the prototype or they simply did not know how, but RC-F does burn outs and can hit the rev limiter all day):

This is what they said about the M3 and how much they disliked the inability of the chassis to cope with the sudden and unpredictable torque spike
Old 12-08-14, 06:08 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Uhhh...

Old 12-08-14, 06:26 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-08-14, 09:31 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default M4 vs RC F

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...c_f_comparison

M4 won by a hair
Old 12-08-14, 11:14 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are not direct comparos, just first drives.
R&T doesn't count?
Old 12-08-14, 11:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Yea I read that one, M4 won in every measureable category.
Around a track, it took an M4 with carbon ceramic brakes to squeak past the RC-F by 3/10ths of a second in MT. If you look at the R&T Motown laps, the RC-F lapped a lot quicker than the M4 (albeit tested on a different day).

I find it very amusing when BMW M fans used to always talk about "it is about the most complete driving experience and not the numbers". Now, suddenly compared to the RC-F, it is all about numbers. If one cuts through the BS, the RC-F is a much more complete car.

There are many cars that are cheaper than the M4 and would spank it silly in a straight line and around the track. It is a GT practical sports coupe that can seat 5 people, in theory. Not an all-out sports car.

R&T clearly stated how the RC-F is a much better driving experience on the race track. They enjoyed the engine, handling, interior and adaptability of the chassis to different road conditions a lot more than those of the M4. It is clear in their statements above.

BTW, seeing pattern in all of your other posts, are you here to glorify the M3/M4?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-08-14 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 03:25 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not sure you have ever been to the track. 4000 lbs car will tear up the brakes in two or three laps so I'm not understanding your argument. Car magazines that get the car, hammer it, and they are done with it. They don't have to deal with warped rotors, melted pads, or killed tires.

According to RT Lexus handles the rough track better than M4.

Anyway I'm waiting on ATSV, C63 AMG and RS5 to see what they are about. RCF to me so far just isn't on par in the segment. However I have not driven it yet.
On Par in what measure? Internet oneupsmanship? Theorycrafting based on numbers?

Or actual track use/daily driver utility/driving enjoyment?

For track, the RC-F is comparable if not faster than the M4 ( R&T test). For driving fun, the well modulated V8 is better than the turbos of the M4 and the backend is more controllable and the limits of the car more attainable for the average driver.( as per several magazine comparos)

Until you specify what you are measuring the RC-F against and do a proper hands-on test drive, a lot of what you say seems premature and smacks of leaping to conclusions. Unless of course you are just a BMWphile whose sad use of time is boosting your ego by trolling Lexus forums.(Not That I''m saying you are)
Old 12-09-14, 05:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

4000# will tear up brakes, as opposed to what a 3900# car? Tires do a majority of the braking power, there are no such thing as warped rotors. Go read Stoptechs article about the myth of warped rotors. Plenty of ISF owners here have put hard laps on their 3800# car and didnt "tear up the brakes in 2-3 laps" and the ISFs brakes are even weaker than the RCFs. Where are you digging this stuff up? Do GTRs tear up their brakes in 2-3 laps? Sounds like you missed the R&T tidbit that said the RCF actually put higher braking Gs than the M4 did. Sounds like the brakes are fine.
Old 12-09-14, 06:43 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

In regards to the Motor Trend article with the M4 beating the RC-F around the Streets of Willow track by 0.3 seconds, I noticed that on the Motor Trend spec sheet, it lists the Lexus RC-F being equipped with Bridgestone Potenza tires and the BMW M4 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

Doesn't the RC-F come standard with Michelin Pilot Super Sports? I'm an advocate that tires play a huge role in regards to lap times (when driver skill level remains constant) so assuming that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are stickier than the Bridgestone Potenzas that the test RC-F was equipped with for this comparison, it's very likely that the pendulum might have switched and that the RC-F could have been the one to win the Motor Trend lap time comparison that day by 0.3 seconds if it was using Super Sport tires as well.

Just my two cents...

Last edited by redspencer; 12-09-14 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread