RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 10:51 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is nothing in paragraph 6 about "We’ll have an RC F to test soon, so stand by." I don't know what you are reading, but I am reading the print edition, and this is precisely what C&D said about their test RC F.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

This article was released in September. They haven't even driven the car. How can they comment, other than the looks? Can you read the bias? Maybe your print edition says they've driven the car.

Last edited by obturator; 11-08-14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-08-14, 05:41 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion
saw this today while i was browsing online...thanks god i have the is f...j/k...
Old 11-08-14, 05:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
saw this today while i was browsing online...thanks god i have the is f...j/k...
not really

https://twitter.com/Jalopnik/status/...930689/photo/1
Old 11-08-14, 05:47 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is nothing in paragraph 6 about "We’ll have an RC F to test soon, so stand by." I don't know what you are reading, but I am reading the print edition, and this is precisely what C&D said about their test RC F.
I'll jump into this "discussion.".

It is disappointing to see so many twisting the numbers. The RCF has already run a 4.3 and a 12.7. Lexus has confirmed in print that the RCF is faster than the M4 and RS5 on a closed circuit track. Anyone with intermediate driving experience can see the car has uncanny corning advantages, and this equals substantial gains on any track or challenging road.

The RCF will destroy my 2012 ISF on a track and on the road--no question here.

Magazines sell ads to manufacturers. Need I say more. A light foot turns light results. RCF drivers are likely to beat the 4.3 and 12.7 with the carbon TVD. We'll compare notes in March/April.

I for one am AMAZED that MT published the hot lap comparison where there was only 3/10s of a second difference in the lap times.

Naysayers can argue until they are blue in the face: when it is all put together, the car is simply amazing. It actually works.
Old 11-08-14, 06:04 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chris07is
Do any of you do business in Japan? I do.

Do you know why they did not show much interest? There is a minimal segment of the population, even among high paid executives, who actually can afford to buy the ISF or RCF in Japan. There is no real market for supercars/high performance cars-and even less of a market among the young buyers. This is the country of the bullet train.

"The Japanese just don't get geared up about cars anymore.". READ THE ARTICLE.

Most executives commute via the bullet train to Tokyo, have a long day, go out for dinner, Get home late at night, and do it again the next day. Weekend driving you say? They sleep most of the weekend so they can get up and do it all over the next week--life in the fast lane in Japan.

This is a cultural response to expensive cars by the Japanese. Are there exceptions? Sure, but I would not read much of anything into this "article."

Lexus will not have any problems selling these cars. I just drove the RC 350 Fsport today. For $50,000 plus it is a bargain. It handles well, sounds great, and has much more testosterone than the IS currently delivers. The cabin was attractive, well appointed with leather, and the instrumentation was easy to interpret and use.

There simply isn't much of a market for expensive autos in Japan these days. Japan is a greying population in a state of contraction.

Last edited by ISF001; 11-08-14 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-08-14, 07:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Just stopped by the Indigo bookstore to check out the latest C&D and saw the two main features (Camaro 1LE vs Mustang GT vs Challenger comparo and RC-F full test).

RC-F did a 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds and 12.8 seconds 1/4 mile. It was a tad slower than the MT test. However, the trap speed was pretty high of 114 mph.

So far, none of the tests matched Lexus' official stats of 12.5 seconds. Hopefully, that will happen soon.

I refuse to believe their claim that RC-F is no quicker or slower than the IS-F. That is flat out wrong. Both cars were not tested in the same conditions and on the same day. A head-to-head would tell a much better story since IS-F had done a couple of tests where it pulled a 13.1 seconds.

They cherry picked the best 2008 IS-F time to put against the RC-F time while completely ignored the 2011 updated IS-F time of 13.1 seconds. I would question why they would do that?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Good news I found was that RC-F was quicker than the other cars in the comparison feature. Mustang GT, Challenger and Camaro 1LE all managed to pull a 13.0 - 13.1 seconds 1/4 mile.

Also, they said RC-F has a very neutral chassis and the understeer is very minimal, if you don't entirely lift off the throttle. That is also much better than what MT said where they actually complained about the understeer. RC-F weight distribution was also pretty good of 53% front and 47% back.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-08-14 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-08-14, 08:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

weight distribution is an overrated stat anyways, what matters is weight distribution during braking and accelerating. Look at porsches and even laferraris, no where near 50/50. I laugh when people try to tout 50/50
Old 11-08-14, 09:26 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the full tests and comparos are about to come out, but it really doesn't matter to me because magazines rarely capture the "seat of the pants" feel nor the non-professional driver "accessibility". both of which this car has in spades.
Old 11-09-14, 02:46 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
weight distribution is an overrated stat anyways, what matters is weight distribution during braking and accelerating. Look at porsches and even laferraris, no where near 50/50. I laugh when people try to tout 50/50
It is mostly BMW who overrated this. I wonder what the Supra/Z5 will be like and hope it will be like the AMG GT and California or F12, not to forget the LFA, which are all rear weight biased.
Old 11-09-14, 03:57 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Just stopped by the Indigo bookstore to check out the latest C&D and saw the two main features (Camaro 1LE vs Mustang GT vs Challenger comparo and RC-F full test).

RC-F did a 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds and 12.8 seconds 1/4 mile. It was a tad slower than the MT test. However, the trap speed was pretty high of 114 mph.

So far, none of the tests matched Lexus' official stats of 12.5 seconds. Hopefully, that will happen soon.

I refuse to believe their claim that RC-F is no quicker or slower than the IS-F. That is flat out wrong. Both cars were not tested in the same conditions and on the same day. A head-to-head would tell a much better story since IS-F had done a couple of tests where it pulled a 13.1 seconds.

They cherry picked the best 2008 IS-F time to put against the RC-F time while completely ignored the 2011 updated IS-F time of 13.1 seconds. I would question why they would do that?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Good news I found was that RC-F was quicker than the other cars in the comparison feature. Mustang GT, Challenger and Camaro 1LE all managed to pull a 13.0 - 13.1 seconds 1/4 mile.

Also, they said RC-F has a very neutral chassis and the understeer is very minimal, if you don't entirely lift off the throttle. That is also much better than what MT said where they actually complained about the understeer. RC-F weight distribution was also pretty good of 53% front and 47% back.
I would add that Lexus has yet to NOT deliver and or exceed published specs for its F cars. Anyone who owns an ISF should already know that.

The RCF will at least run a 12.5.
Old 11-09-14, 05:24 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Its actually among the most important parameters when it comes to driving and chassi behaviour. Porsche and the 911 is a perfect example, this car is very well known for its oversteer when you push it. The M4 with its 50/50 alternates between under and oversteer all the time, depending on how hard you are pushing, braking and accelerate out of corners and so on. RC-F has the more "safe" understeer setting , the car will never surprise you in any way, push it hard and will understeer more and more.

Then its all up to the driver, what do he or she prefer ? One thing is for sure, understeer as phenomenon has never and will never be rated as "fun" and challenging by most people.
Old 11-09-14, 06:17 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Its actually among the most important parameters when it comes to driving and chassi behaviour. Porsche and the 911 is a perfect example, this car is very well known for its oversteer when you push it. The M4 with its 50/50 alternates between under and oversteer all the time, depending on how hard you are pushing, braking and accelerate out of corners and so on. RC-F has the more "safe" understeer setting , the car will never surprise you in any way, push it hard and will understeer more and more.

Then its all up to the driver, what do he or she prefer ? One thing is for sure, understeer as phenomenon has never and will never be rated as "fun" and challenging by most people.
True. It's no fun "pushing" through corners with the front end plowing all the way. IS F was accused of having understeer but when I drove it at Laguna Seca, I didn't find it a problem at all. Just modulate the throttle and pay attention to weight transfer. I'm sure the RC F will be much better balanced than the now old IS F
Old 11-09-14, 06:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

any understeer is corrected by the RCF having 255 fronts, instead of the ISFs puny 225 fronts and the TVD
Old 11-09-14, 06:28 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Edmunds test teased on twitter

Source: Edmunds.com
Old 11-09-14, 10:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

This article was released in September. They haven't even driven the car. How can they comment, other than the looks? Can you read the bias? Maybe your print edition says they've driven the car.
Do I have to scan the article for you to believe this? If it were not for copyright, you could see it here. Go to the grocery store, pick up the December C&D and read for yourself.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread