RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 11:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With such sophisticated electronics these days, I wish that Motor Trend had elaborated a bit about suspension and TVD settings used.
Old 10-29-14, 11:17 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Dynamically its not on par with the M4" "It has lower performance numbers" "it comes up a little bit short" "its not as playful"... all within the first 4 minutes of the video. It screamed bmw-bias from the get go. Then the track times were nearly identical and it becomes more apparent that either the reviewer was slanted or he just didnt get to explore all the RC F has to offer.
Old 10-29-14, 11:45 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
3/10th of a second makes it a driver's race. Don't believe all the negative propaganda about the RC-F's weight and torque deficit : It very well may beat an M4 on the track. And it was obviously more comfortable and less tiring to drive than the M4 which appeared to be a handful.

I suspect that over multiple laps, an M4 would fatigue the driver more and cause him to lose concentration and over several laps, the RC-F would post faster and more consistent times.
It is funny how on the long straight, RC-F hit 115 mph and the M4 hit 117 mph. That is almost neck and neck. Higher speed acceleration in both cars are remarkably similar.

The track is a momentum and flow track so at high speed race tracks where momentum and flow is more important, both RC-F and M4 are evenly matched. In slow and tight race tracks (or auto crossing), the M4 might have an advantage because of better weight distribution.

The 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile are simply because the RC-F does not allow aggressive launches and starting speed is much lower than what the M4's DCT allows. The figure 8 is merely two slaloms put together so it measures slow speed cornering, which obviously would go to M4 because of more even weight distribution.
Old 10-29-14, 11:59 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this talk about weight and soft suspension etc. etc. and its only 3/10ths of a second slower around a track? This difference is dependent on the driver and conditions at a particular time, so its fair to say they are even at this point.

Idk how a person does not go for the RC-F especially when factoring in reliability? I know people dont like to hear that myself included but reliability and interior and all else factored in, the RC-F wins. I just don't like the front end or maybe its the white that makes the front end look hideous. I've seen the car in obsidian black and it looks batmanish.

I think this video helps the RC-F rather than hurt it by losing to the M4 in comparison made by biased Motortrend.

Paul
Old 10-29-14, 12:14 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

M4 crapped all over that RC-F.
Old 10-29-14, 12:15 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
3/10th of a second makes it a driver's race. Don't believe all the negative propaganda about the RC-F's weight and torque deficit : It very well may beat an M4 on the track. And it was obviously more comfortable and less tiring to drive than the M4 which appeared to be a handful.

I suspect that over multiple laps, an M4 would fatigue the driver more and cause him to lose concentration and over several laps, the RC-F would post faster and more consistent times.
I agree...it seemed like an incredible handful of rough engineering.
Old 10-29-14, 12:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is funny how on the long straight, RC-F hit 115 mph and the M4 hit 117 mph. That is almost neck and neck. Higher speed acceleration in both cars are remarkably similar.

The track is a momentum and flow track so at high speed race tracks where momentum and flow is more important, both RC-F and M4 are evenly matched. In slow and tight race tracks (or auto crossing), the M4 might have an advantage because of better weight distribution.

The 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile are simply because the RC-F does not allow aggressive launches and starting speed is much lower than what the M4's DCT allows. The figure 8 is merely two slaloms put together so it measures slow speed cornering, which obviously would go to M4 because of more even weight distribution.
Exactly. And I think that is why M4 fans were coming out with the overblown "track weapon" spiel. Can't wait to see more tests, certainly puts a different spin on the numbers. Good to see Lexus holding their own.
Old 10-29-14, 12:26 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice video but the RC-F is just too much heavier to compete with the M4, but still saying I would like either please
Old 10-29-14, 12:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I posted this in the reviews thread earlier today.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-thread-9.html
Yes, this thread should be merged. Repost and already a discussion happening in the other thread.

Mods can you please merge this?

p.s. M4 and RC-F were literally neck and neck on the race track. HUGE win for the RC-F. The cars are evenly matched around a race track.
Old 10-29-14, 12:36 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
A little bit of an overstatement, don't u think? 0.3 seconds?
Old 10-29-14, 01:45 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz View Post

It was actually the inverse.

It was 3 tenths of a second difference!

The RCF packs quite a mighty punch.

It is quite an engineering accomplishment to take on Germany's best.
Old 10-29-14, 02:24 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

All that talk about the "M4 will destroy the RC-F around the track" by Bimmer forums "visitors" in the other thread turned out to be all smoke and mirrors.

This video proves RC-F goes toe-to-toe with the M4 on the race track. Both are evenly matched on a fast high power race track. Even in the straights, the RC-F was accelerating at the same rate as the M4.

In small, tight and slow tracks, the M4 might have an advantage because of less weight/less understeer, but those are not meant for high horsepower cars like these anyways.
Old 10-29-14, 02:27 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I wouldn't have considered a BMW before, but after that review I will. Sadly, I can't consider the RC F in its current form.
Old 10-29-14, 02:39 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have reconsidered and will add the RC-F to the top of my list after this review. The 3/10s winning advantage is too close and I will call it a driver's race between cars.

Performance and looks! Yeah baby..

Last edited by Lexura1414; 10-29-14 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 03:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I wouldn't have considered a BMW before, but after that review I will. Sadly, I can't consider the RC F in its current form.
.35% time difference and thats the deciding factor?

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread