RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Old 10-08-14, 03:42 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It's a contagious trend. F-Sport, M-Sport, AMG-Sport, V-Sport, S-Line. Errbody and their mothers are doing it.
Old 10-08-14, 05:28 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
It's a contagious trend. F-Sport, M-Sport, AMG-Sport, V-Sport, S-Line. Errbody and their mothers are doing it.
It's called brand amplification. Each auto maker establishes an expensive halo car and then uses it to sell more affordable models with trickle down technology. It's marketing.
Old 10-08-14, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a great way to ruin that prestige badge for sure, at least for the true enthusiasts
Old 10-08-14, 10:24 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Granny driver, but still very nice sound

Old 10-09-14, 02:14 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes the other day I thought I was looking at a newer Full Blown M3 next to me...
All the body parts, wheels & M Sport badging..

Until I saw the brakes....

~ Joe Z
Here in Australia, I see plenty of 320i with the full M Sport kit (wheels, bodykit etc), similarly with S-line A4s.
Old 10-09-14, 04:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
a great way to ruin that prestige badge for sure, at least for the true enthusiasts
doubt it, since every brand is doing it and most have been doing it for years now - Audi started with their S-line packages... now here we have AMG Sport packages as well.

Worst part is that some cars look unfinished without these.
Old 10-09-14, 05:34 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

I understand, but it is really where the profit is being made and not on the limited number of halo cars.
Old 10-09-14, 06:12 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol visit the Rx forum where 350 f-sport owners are crowing about their new 'better handling' suv's. It's a gimmick especially on the SUV platform, but I suspect a very profitable one.
Old 10-09-14, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I understand, but it is really where the profit is being made and not on the limited number of halo cars.
no doubt on that at all. still sad though

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
lol visit the Rx forum where 350 f-sport owners are crowing about their new 'better handling' suv's. It's a gimmick especially on the SUV platform, but I suspect a very profitable one.
that's my guess too. i will just say the 2014 rx f sport i drove / reviewed was nothing spectacular at all and nothing close to what i call sporty. i do think the x5m and some cayenne are there.
Old 10-09-14, 12:42 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

no doubt on that at all. still sad though

that's my guess too. i will just say the 2014 rx f sport i drove / reviewed was nothing spectacular at all and nothing close to what i call sporty. i do think the x5m and some cayenne are there.
This is clearly off topic, but I'll jump in.

I have an RX 350 as my winter car, and I need it in rural PA.

The RX 350 F-Sport is a variant in that it has an 8-speed tranny with paddle shifters versus a 6-speed tranny, stiffer suspension with performance dampers, and 19-inch wheels. The rest is cosmetics. It has the same engine as my RX350, but the 8 speed gives the driver more to play with to keep the pace going. The ride, so I understand, is noticeably firmer.

That's about it.

BTW: If the discussion continues on RX, it should be moved to the RX forum so we stay on topic.
Old 10-11-14, 05:43 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

http://autospies.com/news/VIDEO-Cons...-Choice-83053/
Old 10-12-14, 04:06 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

We've been asked to refrain from M4 comparisons until the production RCF hits the road. Otherwise, I would be posting comparative information from private side by side evaluations of the two cars.

What I will say is Consumer Reports is the last place most will go for car opinions. I thought their review was quite non-conclusive, based on the prototype, and filled with assumptions.
Old 10-12-14, 06:43 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Is the RCF the best M3 fighter ...?

http://jalopnik.com/is-the-lexus-rc-...ght-1640468344
Old 10-12-14, 09:55 PM
Orion
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autotrader.com RC F First Drive Review
#prototype
#m4comparedagain

Originally Posted by Autotrader
The entirely new 2015 Lexus RC F coupe is built with a level of engineering that is extremely impressive. We all know that Lexus produces cars that are built superbly, offering comfort, convenience and reliability. The Lexus team even makes buying and servicing their cars a pleasure. Up until recently, however, something has been missing from the Lexus lineup: a competitive performance coupe.

F Is Like M
BMW's M division takes regular models from the German company's range and ramps them up into high-performance machines that can deliver many consecutive laps of hard acceleration, blazing speeds, extreme braking and tenacious cornering. These vehicles also sport specially designed aerodynamic body parts and features such as highly supportive sport seats. Mercedes-Benz also follows the same formula with its AMG models, and Audi with its RS line.

Lexus has now stepped up to the plate with the RC F -- a model based on the 2015 Lexus RC 350 but enhanced to compete against the best performance coupes out there, such as the 2015 BMW M4, 2015 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG and the 2015 Audi RS 5. These German contenders all have strong backgrounds in motorsport, where technology trickles down to street machines. Lexus has also announced plans to race its F cars.

Fire It Up
It all starts with a 5.0-liter V8 engine making 467 horsepower and 389 lb-ft of torque -- no turbos or superchargers, just good old muscle. This connects to a supremely refined 8-speed automatic transmission (with steering wheel-mounted shift paddles) that makes the rear wheels turn. Stark facts such the ability to go from 0-to-60 mph in 4.4 seconds to cover a quarter-mile in 12.5 seconds and reach a top speed of 170 mph only give an outline of the RC F's full story.

There's also a torque-sensing (Torsen) limited-slip differential that can distribute drive to the rear tire with the most traction in order to lend confidence and speed throughout bends. If that's not enough, there's an optional torque-vectoring electronic differential that can slow or accelerate either rear wheel, allowing for the elimination of slip and the optimization of grip.

Grip is supported by an adaptive suspension, with modes ranging from comfort (still pretty firm) to sport plus, along with fat, low-profile performance tires (Michelins) that inform the driver of every expansion joint encountered on the freeway. That's about all the noise that gets into the cabin, though, apart from the engine's roar when it's revved hard.

In a car built for speed, it's always good to be able to stop, which the RC F can certainly do. Its brakes have also been upgraded from the standard RC 350's, now with bigger Brembo rotors and calipers. Initial bite is reassuring without being "grabby." It's beautifully progressive -- all the way to standstill.

Finicky
The RC F is virtually foolproof to drive fast. It would take a huge mistake or a ridiculously dumb move to unsettle it. Lexus did everything right when building this car, from its rigid body to a complex set of electronic aids for the driver. But there's still something missing.

Sure, it's a cliché to criticize Lexus for making unexciting cars. It's also inaccurate because the RC F is definitely exciting. For the sake of argument, though, let's examine the handful of milliseconds between when the front wheels hit the point of turn-in and when the drivers's seat reaches that same point. In a vehicle like the BMW M4 (the company's new coupe-version of its iconic M3), this wouldn't be noticeable. It would almost seem to know the road and flow into the corner. There's not the same fluidity in the RC F. It's as if it's taking those milliseconds to wait for instructions.

Admittedly, this is splitting the finest of hairs, but if a potential buyer test-drives every car in this class (and they absolutely should), it will be harder to argue that the RC F is better than the M4 or C63 AMG. Someone who bought the BMW wouldn't look at an RC F on the road and wonder "what if?" but a Lexus driver might see an M4 and have that thought.

The 2015 Lexus RC F will be available in November 2014 and starts at $63,325. It comes packed with many standard features such as 19-inch alloy wheels, thin-film transistor instruments, power-adjustable front seats, puddle lamps and a multi-information display. Options include navigation, radar-based cruise control, carbon-fiber roof and rear wing, and an upgraded audio system. The Premium package is expected to be the most popular, costing $4,400 more for heated/ventilated front seats, driver's seat memory, blind spot/rear cross-traffic monitoring, rain-sensing wipers and a carbon-fiber interior trim.
Old 10-13-14, 10:51 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

"The Lexus team even makes buying and servicing their cars a pleasure."

BULL...****
The service guy I was assigned (and used one too many times), Steve Whitt, was an *******. Rude, unaccommodating, and almost speaks in a belittling manner to you. And don't present him with facts and/or rationality. That will just **** him off even further.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread