Search this Thread

Old 09-14-14, 07:02 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Additional first drive impressions of the RCF:

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/09/10/be...015-lexus-rcf/

"Leftlane's bottom line
This ain't you're grandfather's Lexus anymore. After years of cranking out comfortable cruisers, Lexus has a pair of bona fide sports coupes with its RC 350 and RC F.

The RC 350 is a worthy alternative to any vehicle in the segment and, dare we say it, the RC F might be our choice over the M4. That's quite the endorsement, but it's hard to pick against a car that combines the technical gadgetry of the M4 and the V8 grunt of the C63 AMG."

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/first-dr...#ixzz3DLXD4Q4U

Last edited by ISF001; 09-14-14 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 12:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Of course.

Do you actually think he would lie about his impressions, given his stature in the racing world? I think not.

Since we are second guessing, do you think all of the magazine editors render opinions based on pure objectivity, or could there possibly be a correlation between journalist "opinions" and the advertisement dollars spent by major automotive manufacturers in Car and Driver, etc. magazines?

As a CMO, I know ALL too well how this game is played on multiple levels. It's business.

Back to the reason I pushed it out: it has outstanding audio of the sweet growl of this beast, and he clearly demonstrated how the RCF can be driven with the driver assistance systems disabled--if you have the skill level.
Its a Lexus sponsored review for pete's sake LOL.....

You got the Lexus Corporate Manager of Marketing talking throughout the video - give me a break
Old 09-15-14, 03:04 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You do realize he's on Lexus payroll?
That is today's marketing. If Lexus want to be like BMW and Mercedes they have to play the same game, for the ignorant. Weren't the M4 reviews by BMW DTM drivers and won't the C AMG reviews by Mercedes F1 drivers also not be favourable?
Old 09-15-14, 04:17 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Levi68
That is today's marketing. If Lexus want to be like BMW and Mercedes they have to play the same game, for the ignorant. Weren't the M4 reviews by BMW DTM drivers and won't the C AMG reviews by Mercedes F1 drivers also not be favourable?
There is a thin line between editorial and advertising these days--it's called survival of the fittest.

For 23 years, Car & Driver has PLANTED BMW in their Top 10 Best List--for 23 years! What do you think that is about--objectivism? $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 09-15-14, 04:49 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus RC F is indeed exciting......and I feel more excited about it over the M4 (i.e. the choice of downsizing to 6 cylinder makes it less exciting than the predecessor)

With that said though:

Harris' hand is SO deep down the back pockets of Porsche and BMW it has the color of, well, you know what I am saying...the article oozes imperious German preference long before he pushes the start button. The article is yellow from the start.

He needs to step aside, take his Deutschmarks, and let objective automotive critics assess the new high-performance coupe, once there is a PRODUCTION vehicle to drive and assess. He doesn't really have a clue if he is relating the car to 2008 technology from Lexus.

I find it interesting that the few critics attacking the car do not mention it was a prototype. He does not mention it in his article, yet there were HUGE signs on the passenger side visor explaining WHAT was being driven, etc.

Reputable...
^^^
I wonder why you're so butthurt about this.

Chris Harris has very strong reputation. He has substance and credibility........to the point that Ferrari banned him from ever test driving their cars when he exposed the scandal with certain Ferrari review cars.

Now I've read his review.......and I'd say that it is relatively fair.

He stated a lot of good points such as the use of an NA V8 engine. He also stated some bad points (such as the weight)

I think it's a fair review. He didn't state anything that says he hates the car. He actually enjoys it but says that there can be things that can be improved upon.........such as the weight.

Speaking of weight, here's another thing I want to point out:
Back then, a certain number of Lexus fanboys made fun of the F10 M5 for being overweight compared to its predecessor (which is true in that it is heavier compared to its predecessor, the E60 M5; no one can deny that)

Yet when certain reviewers pointed out the heavy weight of RC-F, some Lexus fanboys here (especially you ISF001) came in to defend something that is obvious and undeniable.

So it's okay to bash other brands but cry foul when your own brand is being done the same?

Lol let's not hypocritical.

Listen, the point here is simple.

If you agree with his review, okay let's leave it at that. If you don't like it, then just simply move on. You don't have to bash the guy for gods sake.

This is the problem with some fanboys.....you state just one negative minor thing and you get crucified unjustifiably.

Come on, let's be open-minded.
Old 09-15-14, 04:59 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The Lexus RC F is indeed exciting......and I feel more excited about it over the M4 (i.e. the choice of downsizing to 6 cylinder makes it less exciting than the predecessor)

With that said though:

^^^

Chris Harris has very strong reputation. He has substance and credibility........to the point that Ferrari banned him from ever test driving their cars when he exposed the scandal with certain Ferrari review cars.

He stated a lot of good points such as the use of an NA V8 engine. He also stated some bad points (such as the weight)

I think it's a fair review. He didn't state anything that says he hates the car. He actually enjoys it but says that there can be things that can be improved upon.........such as the weight.

Back then, a certain number of Lexus fanboys made fun of the F10 M5 for being overweight compared to its predecessor (which is true in that it is heavier compared to its predecessor, the E60 M5; no one can deny that)

Yet when certain reviewers pointed out the heavy weight of RC-F, some Lexus fanboys here (especially you ISF001) came in to defend something that is obvious and undeniable.

So it's okay to bash other brands but cry foul when your own brand is being done the same?

If you agree with his review, okay let's leave it at that. If you don't like it, then just simply move on. You don't have to bash the guy for gods sake.

This is the problem with some fanboys.....you state just one negative minor thing and you get crucified unjustifiably.

I respect your view.

Let's agree that he needs to hop into a PRODUCTION vehicle that is not detuned and that is running the production engine management software.

Yes, we can move on.
Old 09-15-14, 06:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I respect your view.

Let's agree that he needs to hop into a PRODUCTION vehicle that is not detuned and that is running the production engine management software.

Yes, we can move on.
Well if we can understand each other on that, then I guess that's good enough.

As I've said, you either like a car or not. No point in hating something when there are always other choices in the market anyway.

To each is his/her own.
Old 09-15-14, 06:10 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I respect your view.

Yes, we can move on.
That's what Lexus made available so he hopped into what was available and gave a review. Blame Lexus.

Now if he does get into a production vehicle and the review doesn't change because the 'huge improvements' you believe are coming turn out to be marginal, then what? Yes, you're buying the RCF, props to you. But no need to counter every negative perception/comment with a rebutal argument to justify your purchase. There are a bunch of us who have been waiting for Lexus to step up it's game for YEARS (GS-F) now and are still waiting.

I hope the RCF turns out to be a huge success. But I can't fit into it (6'6") so I'm on the sidelines until big brother makes its' appearance in the near future (hopefully). Is this car a game changer, no, not hardly, but an improvement over what we've been offered previously so I'm happy for that. Finally seems like Lexus is starting to give a crap again.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 09-15-14 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 08:46 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Now if he does get into a production vehicle and the review doesn't change because the 'huge improvements' you believe are coming turn out to be marginal, then what?
Thing is that nobody has complained about the engine.

To change the ECU on a N/A engine wonīt change much at all. Maybe gearbox settings and allow better starts = little better result on 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Besides that nothng will happen. Torque improvment ? Not really. More power ? Not noticeable in a 4000 Ibs car. Lexus still has to meet standards and laws when it comes to specified emissions and MPG all over the world. They canīt just play around with those numbers. Aftermarket parts is a different story.
Old 09-15-14, 08:59 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

That's what Lexus made available so he hopped into what was available and gave a review. Blame Lexus.

Now if he does get into a production vehicle and the review doesn't change because the 'huge improvements' you believe are coming turn out to be marginal, then what? Yes, you're buying the RCF, props to you. But no need to counter every negative perception/comment with a rebutal argument to justify your purchase. There are a bunch of us who have been waiting for Lexus to step up it's game for YEARS (GS-F) now and are still waiting.

I hope the RCF turns out to be a huge success. But I can't fit into it (6'6") so I'm on the sidelines until big brother makes its' appearance in the near future (hopefully). Is this car a game changer, no, not hardly, but an improvement over what we've been offered previously so I'm happy for that. Finally seems like Lexus is starting to give a crap again.
I would realistically expect several tenths shaved off of performance numbers...and I would definitely expect the GSF (so my source tells me).

And as for the rest, let us agree to civilly disagree--the RCF is a huge game changer for Lexus and a market share eating machine for BMW, Audi and Merc. You just can't see it yet. I predict we will.
Old 09-15-14, 09:06 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would realistically expect several tenths shaved off of performance numbers...
If so, that would make their blunder in giving reviewers prototypes to review even more blunderous (yes I'm making up words). Would make no sense to put out a better new product than what you provide the the testing community. So the several tenths fantasy grabs seems to be exactly that. and I'm going to believe that what you've sees is what you're getting. Definitely your perogative to feel otherwise.
Old 09-15-14, 09:18 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

If so, that would make their blunder in giving reviewers prototypes to review even more blunderous (yes I'm making up words). Would make no sense to put out a better new product than what you provide the the testing community. So the several tenths fantasy grabs seems to be exactly that. and I'm going to believe that what you've sees is what you're getting. Definitely your perogative to feel otherwise.
There is no fantasy here.

I mentioned in several communications that these were not production cars. Yes, I believe that they should have offered the production cars instead of detuned prototypes with non-production engine management software. Lexus can't go back, but this error will not preclude seeing what the actual production cars do.

Visor mounted signage also told ALL of the journalists what they were driving--a prototype vehicle.

At least one journalists published this fact

Motor Trend:

"Two caveats. One is that the car we tested was an early build prototype and the engine management software has reportedly been updated since we touched it. The other is that Lexus claims that accessible performance will define the F brand going forward and that somehow superquick acceleration scares people who can’t drive as well as others. I say losing 400 pounds would make the car as quick as its competitors. Either way, the new software should shave precious tenths off those elapsed times."

What I feel is that we ALL should wait to see what OFFICIAL, production vehicles do in the weeks ahead. The proof is always in the pudding.

The Fs are exceptional high-performance machines designed to thrill the driver. If you have not logged time in an F, there is just no way of having that experience in any other Lexus car. The Fs are the game changer.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-15-14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 11:37 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven

With that said though:

^^^

He's a huge BMW fanboy and even owns an E92 M3. He is the least objective person to review cars period, overrates the Euros, underrates everyone else, makes his views completely worthless. At least this was a Lexus he was reviewing, if it was a Cadillac or something domestic, we'd never hear the end of it.
Old 09-16-14, 04:25 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
He's a huge BMW fanboy and even owns an E92 M3. He is the least objective person to review cars period, overrates the Euros, underrates everyone else, makes his views completely worthless. At least this was a Lexus he was reviewing, if it was a Cadillac or something domestic, we'd never hear the end of it.

There are plenty of outstanding reviews for the new prototype RCF. MotorWeek is coming out this week with an in-depth review--the first of many to follow once the production car is rolling on terra firma.
Old 09-16-14, 04:39 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
That was years ago. He had the Porsche Panamera diesel last year and bought a Ferrari FF ( this year ) and has been seen driving an Audi RS6 lately.

If almost every jounalist that rewies sportscars is a BMW fanboy, how does that come ? Just a coincidence ? Not really. Letīs see if Lexus can make journalists turn into Lexusfans !

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread