RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-14, 05:46 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
Think of the GT-R that beats Porsche and Ferrari, I think that is the case of Lexus compared to its rivals: the difference? The RC F is fun and engaging, yet relaxed when you just want to sit back and cruise. The reviews will get better and better. Looks like the first reviews were an effect of cognitive dissonance.
Cognitive dissonance-- The car has a lot of new breakthroughs--there really is no other GT in the world like the new RCF.

It's a dual personality car like the ISF--all good here!
Old 09-13-14, 06:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The comment section looks ugly in 'Left lane news'. So much hatred. People seem to be brainwashed by BMW into thinking that the M4 weighs 3300 lbs when in all of the tests, it has been tipping the scale at over 3605 lbs.
yea M4 weighs less than LFA and C7 vette, they are dreaming
Old 09-13-14, 07:01 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

By John Goreham G+ 2014-09-12 13:03
2015 Lexus RC F is the best V8-powered premium GT in the world at $70,160

The Lexus RC F makes you a hero at the track and coddles you in comfort on back-roads tours or in city traffic. It may also be the reason the BMW M4 costs what it does.

I have just finished two days of learning about and testing the new RC line of rear-drive performance coupes from Lexus and the upshot is that these cars are going to change the reputation of Lexus. The RC 350 is an excellent everyday driver with more power than you will need on public roads. Its sibling, the mighty RC F, is now the company’s most powerful and fastest production vehicle. Not surprisingly, the RC F is priced just a little less than an equivalent BMW M4 and is no less comfortable on public roads than the RC 350.

Lexus RC F Makes You Faster On Track

Are you a professional road-course racing driver, or a weekend racer with 20 years of experience? Me either. I know a few, and they all mainly have Porsches, Miatas or affordable hot-hatches like VW Golfs for the track. However, there does exist a group that will own a grand touring car (GT) and take it to the track occasionally. This is not for those on a strict budget. Remember, your auto insurance (and likely your life insurance) does not cover your track use of that car, so wreck it, and you are out of luck – and money. For those who may take the RC F to the track occasionally, the car has been built to make that day very special.

Lexus RC F Transmission

The Sport Direct Shift transmission with AI (artificial intelligence) and G-sensor inputs, the 467 horsepower V8 engine, and either the Torsen, or torque vectoring differential work with the driver to make the car fast, predictable, and still a challenge. Few drivers without professional-level skills can jump into this car and get every bit of speed out of it on a racetrack. However, all drivers with some track-day training (say a 2-day Skip Barber class) will be able to jump in and enjoy the car immediately. Lexus has really worked wonders making this a very usable track car. I have driven the Corvette Stingray, Audi RS 5, and even supercars like the Mercedes SLS AMG on this same track and this Lexus felt faster and much more enjoyable to me. Again, that is partly due to my experience level. I'm not a pro driver, but I do spend a couple days a year on racetracks.

Like all cars of its type an price point, the RC F has selectable drive modes. In Sport+, or in Sport+ Track in the case of the torque vectoring version, the vehicle will allow for neutral handling (no oversteer), some rear-end drifting, and a very predictable limit that the driver can explore over time. As Justin Bell, a professional driver that Lexus enlisted to demonstrate the Lexus RC F put it, “You might just find that the limiting factor is you.”
See More: Toyota has been building the 2015 Lexus RC F and RC 350 F Sport for 50 years

Lexus RC F on Back Roads, and In Traffic

I spent four hours enjoying the RC F on highways, back roads, and in city traffic. Over bumps, the RC F is more comfortable than an Audi sedan I just spent a week testing. The seats are perfect for both track (even come ready for racing harness installation) and shockingly, when sitting for two hours in New York City commuter traffic. How Lexus did this is a mystery to me, but they meant to do it and it worked.

The RC F has its own, better, instrumentation separate from the RC 350 and driving both the RC 350 and RC F back-to back, I am pretty sure the Nav system is also different (and better). The RC F has such things as a G-meter that records your best lateral, braking, and acceleration G loads, track time recorders and more. Heated and ventilated seats are also offered, of course. Having driven the Nissan GT-R (which costs about 50% more than this Lexus) on-road I can honestly say that the car is horrible. Yes, on-track it is amazing, but every pot-hole hurts your kidneys, the car is uncomfortable to sit in for longer than 30 minutes, and the noise (yes noise) is not fun after the first 10 minutes. I give this example to draw a comparison to a true GT, and a supercar some people confuse as one.

Lexus RC F Value

Lexus says that the RC F will start at an MSRP of $62,400. While that is true, none will ever ship without the $4,400 premium package and the $1,760 Nav package. Add the $1,100 moonroof, and the total price is $70,160. I have just configured a 2015 BMW M4 using the company’s website. If you want the features found in the Lexus RC I configured, you will pay about the same at $72,550, but get 2-years more of included maintenance. No matter how much you pay, the BMW will come with two less cylinders and 42 less horsepower.

Whether you buy the Lexus or the BMW, you should thank the other brand for making your car more affordable. That this much luxury, performance, and refinement is available at this price point makes me wonder who aspires to supercars, hyper cars, exotic cars and the like.
Seems like the M4 is for the insecure who need the ego boost of driving a "German Car" and who enjoy paper racing and using internet numbers to demonstrate how superior their over-rated car is. As if 0-60, 1/4 mile times are the be-all and end-all of what determines the worth of a car.

While the RC-F is for the quietly confident person who knows what he wants and what he wants is a genuinely enjoyable car ownership experience and not just something with the "best numbers" in order to lord it over other car owners.
Old 09-13-14, 07:36 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like RC F might just be the best overall sports car built. It feels very confident.
Old 09-13-14, 01:15 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea M4 weighs less than LFA and C7 vette, they are dreaming
Bimmer fans will get over their loss.

On another note: The C7 has been pulled off the market. The car apparently has major problems with air bags and brakes. a surprise to me.
Old 09-14-14, 12:32 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Bimmer fans will get over their loss.

On another note: The C7 has been pulled off the market. The car apparently has major problems with air bags and brakes. a surprise to me.
C7 pulled off the market? Holy scheisse!
Old 09-14-14, 05:25 AM
mitsu13gma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
C7 pulled off the market? Holy scheisse!
Looks like it's true:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/09/two-separate-stop-sale-recalls-issued-for-2015-corvette-stingray/
Old 09-14-14, 09:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Seems like the M4 is for the insecure who need the ego boost of driving a "German Car" and who enjoy paper racing and using internet numbers to demonstrate how superior their over-rated car is. As if 0-60, 1/4 mile times are the be-all and end-all of what determines the worth of a car.

While the RC-F is for the quietly confident person who knows what he wants and what he wants is a genuinely enjoyable car ownership experience and not just something with the "best numbers" in order to lord it over other car owners.
At the risk of sounding crass, which group has more buying power? At the end of the day, it's all about sales. Feeling smug about your decision is a personal thing, but selling cars is what car companies want to do. For all the goodness baked into the IS-F over the years, C&D still trashed it with this year's Lightening Lap comments about the superior chassis of the IS 350 F-Sport. They forgot the last IS-F they tested matched the lap time of the E92 M3. All the while, BMW kept selling M3s and Lexus saw dwindling numbers of IS-F purchases. It seemed nothing Lexus could do would move the needle from the initial impression.

I sincerely hope they figure out how to make it happen this time. The future of F depends on adequate market penetration.
Old 09-14-14, 10:02 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It seemed nothing Lexus could do would move the needle from the initial impression.

I sincerely hope they figure out how to make it happen this time. The future of F depends on adequate market penetration.
They need to win tests and comparos from day 1. They must let the press do the marketing for them. just like BMW does. RC-F had a pretty bad start on this one so far. People in common will read those tests and forget the RC-F. Upgrades every year won´t help. Its not like the others are at sleep, M3 GTS is already on its way. As you said, the last generation IS-F could match BMW e92 on a track. Well, thats about 5 years late.

There is still a chance. The comparos are not out yet, only short testdrives with pre-production cars. So I am really,really hoping that many verdicts will change ( a lot ).
Old 09-14-14, 01:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
They need to win tests and comparos from day 1. They must let the press do the marketing for them. just like BMW does. RC-F had a pretty bad start on this one so far. People in common will read those tests and forget the RC-F. Upgrades every year won´t help. Its not like the others are at sleep, M3 GTS is already on its way. As you said, the last generation IS-F could match BMW e92 on a track. Well, thats about 5 years late.

There is still a chance. The comparos are not out yet, only short testdrives with pre-production cars. So I am really,really hoping that many verdicts will change ( a lot ).
lots of BMW cars dont win the reviews anymore, especially in the US... 3 lost vs IS and 5 lost vs many cars, including GS.
Old 09-14-14, 04:01 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
At the risk of sounding crass, which group has more buying power? At the end of the day, it's all about sales. Feeling smug about your decision is a personal thing, but selling cars is what car companies want to do. For all the goodness baked into the IS-F over the years, C&D still trashed it with this year's Lightening Lap comments about the superior chassis of the IS 350 F-Sport. They forgot the last IS-F they tested matched the lap time of the E92 M3. All the while, BMW kept selling M3s and Lexus saw dwindling numbers of IS-F purchases. It seemed nothing Lexus could do would move the needle from the initial impression.

They might as well have Car & Driver magazine in German. . Their editors are SOOooo biased these days.

There is plenty of extremely favorable, top of the class reviews for the new RCF prototype. Ultimately, the word will get around on this new car based on the owner experience...all that ever matters with cars.

The GSF is happening...period...trust me. Again, they are looking for the trickle down sales occurring as a result of the F brand. Lexus will have more than enough RCs and RC F-sports being sold to justify the high production costs for the LFA, RCF, GSF and, so I hear, a possible LSF.

There is a sophisticated buyer demographic for these gourmet muscle cars, and the investment in these exceptional machines will translate into building their new brand for the next decade. It is actually brilliant marketing, despite the detuned machines being given to the folks at Monticello.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-14-14 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-14-14, 04:42 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
lots of BMW cars dont win the reviews anymore, especially in the US... 3 lost vs IS and 5 lost vs many cars, including GS.
Yes, and the result in sales for IS and Lexus as company are....( not only US, in Europe as well ) Yes my friend, exactly what Im talking about here.

Besides that: cars like GS and RX does not sell on emotions. RC-F is all about that.
Old 09-14-14, 04:50 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Justin Bell, winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, kicks the F in the _ss and comes up with a new F word.

He too is driving the detuned RCF. This video has perhaps the best audio track revealing the sound of this new masterpiece engine.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-14-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-14-14, 05:09 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Justin Bell, winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, kicks the F in the _ss and comes up with a new F word.

He too is driving the detuned RCF. This video has perhaps the best audio track revealing the sound of this new masterpiece engine.

PERFORMANCE US$ 63.225 Lexus RC-F 2015 5.0 V8 467 cv 300 kmh 0-100 kmh 4,5 s @ Monticello Motor Club - YouTube
You do realize he's on Lexus payroll?
Old 09-14-14, 06:25 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You do realize he's on Lexus payroll?
Of course.

Do you actually think he would lie about his impressions, given his stature in the racing world? I think not.

Since we are second guessing, do you think all of the magazine editors render opinions based on pure objectivity, or could there possibly be a correlation between journalist "opinions" and the advertisement dollars spent by major automotive manufacturers in Car and Driver, etc. magazines?

As a CMO, I know ALL too well how this game is played on multiple levels. It's business.

Back to the reason I pushed it out: it has outstanding audio of the sweet growl of this beast, and he clearly demonstrated how the RCF can be driven with the driver assistance systems disabled--if you have the skill level.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread