Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-12-14, 09:08 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
Gonna sell like hotcakes...there are plenty of orders going in through my Lexus dealership for the RC.

I'm the first RCF with another in the works.
Old 09-12-14, 09:21 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe Lexus sent prototypes to these events as they genuinely felt they needed to get word out there about the RCF. I remember reading about the gripes of all the CL peeps until they finally unveiled it. Maybe they knew it still needed a bit of fine-tuning but didn't want to overlook the fact the deadline had approached and they needed to send something.
Old 09-12-14, 09:23 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Here's a new, comparative, and RCF thumbs up review.

He's placing it near the top of the class--and he is driving the PROTOTYPE.

Old 09-12-14, 11:08 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sound is intoxicating. The interior looks like a nice place to be (love the guages).

With properly fitted new shoes, it's going to finish off the profile.

And I'm expecting Lexus reliability.

This car is going to be sweet.

Me want!!!!!!
Old 09-12-14, 02:43 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/09/10/be...015-lexus-rcf/

Behind The Wheel: The All New 2015 Lexus RCF
By David Ponce on 09/10/14 • Leave a comment!

I was fortunate enough to be invited to New York to get behind the wheel of the all new 2015 Lexus RCF, just a few weeks ago. A replacement for the outgoing IS F, this car features an all new chassis, all new body, an improved engine, and a slew of other engineering tricks that represent a more of a substantial step up than a gradual evolution from the previous generation. I got to spend around 4 hours driving this beast in the streets of White Plains and on the prestigious Monticello Race Track, and between those two settings, I was able to get a thorough feel for the car’s track driving dynamics, interior appearances, and city manners. In a segment dominated by the likes of BMW’s M4 and Mercedes’ C63, the RCF came out guns blazing and fists swinging in an attempt to forge a solid space for itself alongside them. With an impressive 467hp 5.0L V8 monster under the hood, the boys from Japan meant business, and I’ll spend the next few paragraphs letting you know whether they’ve succeeded.

The Body and Looks
Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. So it’s difficult to make definitive statements about whether the RCF is a beautiful car. In my eyes, it is, and judging by the number of comments from complete strangers that we received while simply in transit from the hotel to the race track, I’d say most people would find the car gorgeous. From its unmistakable signature spindle Lexus grille, which looks menacing in black mesh, to the aggressively high belt line, to the solid and muscular wide stance, to the stacked quad-pipe exhaust… every detail simply works. Lexus even developed a special paint process to produce some of the most eye-catching hues we’ve seen on a production vehicle.

The first coat is a primer followed by silver and then a clear coat, followed by the color coat that reflects off the silver to give an additional luster. A final top color coat is then applied. (Molten Pearl uses a four-layer process made possible by the strength of its primer material and vibrant primary color, meaning a silver reflective coat is not necessary.) The vehicle passes through baking ovens four times during the process, and is sanded by hand with a gentle water- based application. Inspectors scrutinize each vehicle to ensure the paint meets strict standards.

The interior is just as stunning, with Recaro-style bucket seats that are more comfortable than normal sports seats due to their distinctive construction process. Instead of stretching the upholstery tightly over the foam, causing increased tension in the fabric and hardening the seat, the upholstery is laid first and the foam added afterwards. Result = better seats.

The rest of the interior screams class and luxury, from the padded leather and foam leg rests, to the Alcantara in the arm rests.

The SatNav/Entertainment console is controlled through a touchpad, while a snap-to-elements function on the screen minimize errant movements. It works well, and is packed with features that are too many to enumerate here. I did find that this controller was oddly positioned however, causing you to have to stretch your arm to reach it, rather than having it at the tip of your fingers. Minor issue, but an odd one nonetheless.

The rear wing deploys at 50mph, and stays deployed until you drop back down below 25mph. There’s also a button to keep it up at all times. It does look good and is generally understated, which is great in a spoiler (no one likes the big WRX-style spoilers, let’s face it). But when asked what kind of downforce the wing produces, the engineers preferred not to comment. This tells us that it’s mostly decorative, and that’s fine. The act of having it come out above 50mph, as if it was somehow necessary at those speeds? Purely a gimmick, but a nifty one nonetheless.

The Mechanics
Under the (very shapely) hood, you’ll find an aluminum block 5.0L V8 engine that produces 467hp at the 7,100RPM redline. Torque stands at a reasonable 389 lb.-ft. @ 4,800 – 5,600 rpm, giving you a decent flat curve. Now, while 467hp may seem like a lot, you have to keep in mind that the RCF does weigh 3,958 lbs. That’s quite a bit, so the extra power was definitely needed to keep performance on par with its main competitors. 0-60 is achieved in 4.4s, while the quarter mile takes 12.5s to cross. While pretty impressive, it does lag behind the M4’s 3.9s 0-60 times and 12.1s quarter mile times. Fortunately, driving pleasure isn’t all about straight line power and performance.

Aside from the requisite 15.0in. (in the front) and 13.6in. (in the rear) ventilated rotors with six-piston opposed aluminum callipers (made by Brembo, for Lexus), and the 19 inch Michelin Pilot Sport tires, there’s a whole lot of tech that went into keeping this car on the road, and going fast. Perhaps most impressive was the Torque Vectoring Differential, which is able to shift torque from one wheel to the other as needed. This means that in a corner, torque is shifted to the outside wheel so that it can more easily “bring the car around”.

The engine feels amazing, and sounds even better. It’s instantly responsive, an inevitable side-effect of natural aspiration. And the sound, while already glorious in its own, does get actively piped back into the cabin with an electronic actuator. They call this Active Sound Control (ASC), and it’s a feature that’s only active in one driving mode, Sport+. You can hear it happen, when the muffled growl of the engine passes a certain RPM, and you suddenly find yourself vibrating from the increased wail. Downshift blips are purely intoxicating, and after you’re done being impressed with the acceleration, after you’ve grown bored of remarking on the powerful brakes, and after you’ve stopped noticing all the little things the stability control system does to keep you on the road… you will still smile at that engine sound. It’s just that good.

Speaking of stability control, Lexus calls theirs “Vehicle Dynamic Integrated Management (VDIM) system.” It’s a system that monitors and coordinates a slew of different variables, from the powertrain, ABS, electric power steering, and traction control (TRAC), to the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) systems. This allows it to subtly keep you on the road once you’ve pushed the car just beyond its limits. But unlike the stability control of other manufacturers (looking at you, BMW), Lexus does its job so subtly that you barely notice it happened. While a BMW experiencing a loss of traction will simply cut power to the engine, causing a mass deceleration, the RCF simply dials it down a notch, but still keep on pushing. The result is that you’ll barely lose any speed, but just enough to keep you on the track. It’s seamless and it’s the one thing that makes this car so accessible.

The Conclusion
Because in the end, I’d say this is the big salient point of this car: accessibility. It’s a car that’s aimed at a particular kind of buyer: a younger, early 40’s professional male. He earns a good six figure income, and he’d like a sports car. But he’s not a professional driver. He wants something he can take to the track twice a month, and would like to feel like he’s doing some serious driving… but not necessarily by learning how to drive seriously. The RCF is a massive monster on 4 wheels, that you can simply point in the direction you want, and go. There’s so much tech designed to keep you on the road, but all of it is nearly invisible, rarely making you aware that it isn’t, in fact, just you making these crazy laps around the track.

Fortunately, you can disable all that and enjoy the car nanny-free. But be warned that you better know what you’re doing. There’s a lot of power under that hood, and by the time you’re done laughing at how great the engine sounds, you’re already cruising at 120mph and need to stop in a hurry.

The RCF stacks up well against its competition, at least on paper. I haven’t had a chance to drive either of the Germans, but despite lagging behind on some metrics, I have to say I came away from my weekend thoroughly impressed with what Japan has put together. Starting in the upper $62,000, this is a more than reasonable way to get in on that exciting segment of the automotive market. Can Lexus stand toe-to-toe agains the likes of the M4 and C63? You bet!
Old 09-12-14, 02:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/why-2...gt-world-70160

By John Goreham G+ 2014-09-12 13:03
2015 Lexus RC F is the best V8-powered premium GT in the world at $70,160

The Lexus RC F makes you a hero at the track and coddles you in comfort on back-roads tours or in city traffic. It may also be the reason the BMW M4 costs what it does.

I have just finished two days of learning about and testing the new RC line of rear-drive performance coupes from Lexus and the upshot is that these cars are going to change the reputation of Lexus. The RC 350 is an excellent everyday driver with more power than you will need on public roads. Its sibling, the mighty RC F, is now the company’s most powerful and fastest production vehicle. Not surprisingly, the RC F is priced just a little less than an equivalent BMW M4 and is no less comfortable on public roads than the RC 350.

Lexus RC F Makes You Faster On Track

Are you a professional road-course racing driver, or a weekend racer with 20 years of experience? Me either. I know a few, and they all mainly have Porsches, Miatas or affordable hot-hatches like VW Golfs for the track. However, there does exist a group that will own a grand touring car (GT) and take it to the track occasionally. This is not for those on a strict budget. Remember, your auto insurance (and likely your life insurance) does not cover your track use of that car, so wreck it, and you are out of luck – and money. For those who may take the RC F to the track occasionally, the car has been built to make that day very special.

Lexus RC F Transmission

The Sport Direct Shift transmission with AI (artificial intelligence) and G-sensor inputs, the 467 horsepower V8 engine, and either the Torsen, or torque vectoring differential work with the driver to make the car fast, predictable, and still a challenge. Few drivers without professional-level skills can jump into this car and get every bit of speed out of it on a racetrack. However, all drivers with some track-day training (say a 2-day Skip Barber class) will be able to jump in and enjoy the car immediately. Lexus has really worked wonders making this a very usable track car. I have driven the Corvette Stingray, Audi RS 5, and even supercars like the Mercedes SLS AMG on this same track and this Lexus felt faster and much more enjoyable to me. Again, that is partly due to my experience level. I'm not a pro driver, but I do spend a couple days a year on racetracks.

Like all cars of its type an price point, the RC F has selectable drive modes. In Sport+, or in Sport+ Track in the case of the torque vectoring version, the vehicle will allow for neutral handling (no oversteer), some rear-end drifting, and a very predictable limit that the driver can explore over time. As Justin Bell, a professional driver that Lexus enlisted to demonstrate the Lexus RC F put it, “You might just find that the limiting factor is you.”
See More: Toyota has been building the 2015 Lexus RC F and RC 350 F Sport for 50 years

Lexus RC F on Back Roads, and In Traffic

I spent four hours enjoying the RC F on highways, back roads, and in city traffic. Over bumps, the RC F is more comfortable than an Audi sedan I just spent a week testing. The seats are perfect for both track (even come ready for racing harness installation) and shockingly, when sitting for two hours in New York City commuter traffic. How Lexus did this is a mystery to me, but they meant to do it and it worked.

The RC F has its own, better, instrumentation separate from the RC 350 and driving both the RC 350 and RC F back-to back, I am pretty sure the Nav system is also different (and better). The RC F has such things as a G-meter that records your best lateral, braking, and acceleration G loads, track time recorders and more. Heated and ventilated seats are also offered, of course. Having driven the Nissan GT-R (which costs about 50% more than this Lexus) on-road I can honestly say that the car is horrible. Yes, on-track it is amazing, but every pot-hole hurts your kidneys, the car is uncomfortable to sit in for longer than 30 minutes, and the noise (yes noise) is not fun after the first 10 minutes. I give this example to draw a comparison to a true GT, and a supercar some people confuse as one.

Lexus RC F Value

Lexus says that the RC F will start at an MSRP of $62,400. While that is true, none will ever ship without the $4,400 premium package and the $1,760 Nav package. Add the $1,100 moonroof, and the total price is $70,160. I have just configured a 2015 BMW M4 using the company’s website. If you want the features found in the Lexus RC I configured, you will pay about the same at $72,550, but get 2-years more of included maintenance. No matter how much you pay, the BMW will come with two less cylinders and 42 less horsepower.

Whether you buy the Lexus or the BMW, you should thank the other brand for making your car more affordable. That this much luxury, performance, and refinement is available at this price point makes me wonder who aspires to supercars, hyper cars, exotic cars and the like
Old 09-12-14, 04:14 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Informative, well-written, and corroborative of how I feel at this time. Of course, first-hand experience in late November will fill in the blanks.
Old 09-12-14, 06:15 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2015 Lexus RC F is the best V8-powered premium GT in the world

Looks like Torque news likes it
Old 09-12-14, 06:42 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Great review of the RC-F.

"Leftlane's bottom line
This ain't you're grandfather's Lexus anymore. After years of cranking out comfortable cruisers, Lexus has a pair of bona fide sports coupes with its RC 350 and RC F.

The RC 350 is a worthy alternative to any vehicle in the segment and, dare we say it, the RC F might be our choice over the M4. That's quite the endorsement, but it's hard to pick against a car that combines the technical gadgetry of the M4 and the V8 grunt of the C63 AMG. "

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/first-dr...#ixzz3D9ilICPU
Old 09-12-14, 07:24 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Great review of the RC-F.

"Leftlane's bottom line
This ain't you're grandfather's Lexus anymore. After years of cranking out comfortable cruisers, Lexus has a pair of bona fide sports coupes with its RC 350 and RC F.

The RC 350 is a worthy alternative to any vehicle in the segment and, dare we say it, the RC F might be our choice over the M4. That's quite the endorsement, but it's hard to pick against a car that combines the technical gadgetry of the M4 and the V8 grunt of the C63 AMG. "

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/first-dr...#ixzz3D9ilICPU
Wow...what an excellent endorsement for the new champ!
Old 09-12-14, 09:12 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Itll get better once production cars are tested. There are reviews thatre very encouraging.
Old 09-12-14, 09:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

The comment section looks ugly in 'Left lane news'. So much hatred. People seem to be brainwashed by BMW into thinking that the M4 weighs 3300 lbs when in all of the tests, it has been tipping the scale at over 3605 lbs.
Old 09-13-14, 01:09 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The comment section looks ugly in 'Left lane news'. So much hatred. People seem to be brainwashed by BMW into thinking that the M4 weighs 3300 lbs when in all of the tests, it has been tipping the scale at over 3605 lbs.
This... People still refuse to believe a jap car can be better all around than German cars. I see this odd view on most forums. Makes no sense. Lexus is getting a better and better brand image in the performance car market and the rc-f will continue to enhance this image.
Old 09-13-14, 02:31 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Think of the GT-R that beats Porsche and Ferrari, I think that is the case of Lexus compared to its rivals: the difference? The RC F is fun and engaging, yet relaxed when you just want to sit back and cruise. The reviews will get better and better. Looks like the first reviews were an effect of cognitive dissonance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread