Old 09-07-14, 09:25 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RCF sounds crazy in this video, good microphone being used

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/l...04-10bps5.html
Yes.. They had nice mics..!!

I can tell how well the ASC was picked up and when they where using interior or exterior mics..!!

Also, the Carbon Hood, Roof & Wing Pkg is said to shave 10 kg in their region.. (30kg Verbal error in the Video)

That's about 22 lbs state side..

In the USA the Carbon Fiber Roof & Wing Pkg will save only 4 kg or just under 9 lbs..!!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-07-14 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Confirmed with visual source only 10kg for other regions
Old 09-07-14, 09:30 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes.. They had nice mics..!!

I can tell how well the ASC was picked up and when they where using interior or exterior mics..!!

Also, the Carbon Hood & Roof pkg is said to shave 30 Kilos in their region.. (Verbal in the Video)
That's about 66 lbs state side..

Joe Z
That article said 10kg, as did Evo...

The RC F Carbon saves 10kg, gets shiny black weave for the bonnet, roof and active rear spoiler
Old 09-07-14, 10:32 PM
keiusui
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX7 RAGE
The reviews don't seem too great IMHO...
The video reviews seem to love the RCF on the track, while the text reviews describe the experience as mediocre. It's almost like the video-reviews and text-reviews are driving two different cars.
Old 09-08-14, 04:47 AM
zema
Driver

Old 09-08-14, 08:44 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Agreed...

Maybe you can ask a moderator to make the Title more favorable ?
Nah, it's not my thread.

Old 09-08-14, 10:55 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
Nah, it's not my thread.

http://youtu.be/eAhUPk9yRxU
I'm sure it will get merged sooner or later...

Everything is already getting reposted in each thread..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-08-14, 03:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Top Gear review, they like it
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/F...C-F-2014-08-08

Pat Devereux08 September 2014

First drive: Lexus RC F
We get behind the wheel of Japan's V8-powered, 470bhp BMW M4 rival

What's this?

This is new Lexus RC F, the posh Toyota's two-door coupe competitor for the BMW M4, Jag F-Type R, Audi RS5, etc. It uses a lot of the outgoing IS F saloon's architecture - the base chassis is largely the same - but with plenty of new stuff, too. The naturally aspirated 5.0-litre engine looks like a carryover from the IS F but everything in there other than the block is brand new.

The net result is a hike in power to over 470bhp. Which is good. Less good is the fact that all that new-found power has to drag a good 90kg more along for the ride compared with the IS F. To make up for this, the RC F is festooned with more electronic systems than a Currys catalogue.

What systems are we talking about here?

Well, there's a four-mode drive mode selector for the eight-speed transmission - you get to choose between Eco, Sport, Sport + and Manual (using the paddles).

Then there's the Vehicle Integrated Dynamics Management, which conducts all the car's systems from the level of steering assistance to the ABS. This also has four modes - Normal, Sport, Off, Off with Expert - which offer decreasing levels of intervention. The Expert bit is a safety net that is designed to protect you from yourself when you overcook a corner.

And then there's the optional torque-vectoring differential or TVD. This acts independently of the drive mode selector, which helps the RC F to turn more crisply. This, you won't be surprised to hear, also has several modes: Normal, Slalom and Track.

So how does all that lot feel?

Surprisingly good up to about seven tenths on a track. As long as you stay smooth the car hides its weight quite well, the gearbox fires up and down swiftly and the engine makes all the right - if slightly assisted by a noise synth - normally aspirated V8 noises. It's what happens beyond seven tenths that we are less fond of. It will still go blazingly fast, but you either have to leave the systems engaged and feel like a bit of a passenger. Or switch them all off and find your own way through the car's foibles.

Like what?

Like it's bizarre inconsistency in its cornering attitude. It could have just been our pre-prod car's new yaw sensors playing up, according to the Lexus engineer, but whatever it was it didn't endear the car to us in the track. When the switch says off, we expect the system to be off. Not lurking and pouncing when we least expected it. Also the flat refusal to allow us to do a burn out was another black mark.

What was it like on the road?

Much better. All of the issues from driving it on the track melt away and you are left with a quick and well-appointed coupe that is a very pleasant place to be. Playing with all the systems you can sharpen up the car's character when you want to then back it off quickly for a comfortable cruise. Just what you want.

How does it compare with the competition?

Subjectively it feels somewhere between the Audi RS5 and the F-Type R. The lighter, more delicate M4 would probably run away and hide on a track. But as a road car, where the weight is less of an issue, it makes a good fist of being noticeably and positively different.

The organically oozy styling finally makes sense of that spindle grille, the NA V8 has enough soul to keep the car interesting, despite all that electrical assistance. And there will be less than 200 of them in the UK (just over 2200 in the US), so they will remain exclusive.

I'm not sure it would be my choice of coupe right now, but if it was yours I'd completely understand.
Old 09-08-14, 04:03 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

this was an nice honest review probably one of the least biased ones and truly understood what the purpose of this car is. Basically gushed over the NA V8. The engine alone makes it stand out above other cars. Especially the comments he makes at the end of the video about not everyone wants an M3 or M4.

For those that dont like the RCF weight, perhaps wait for the GSF, since the GS is the lightest car in its class.
Old 09-08-14, 04:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

this was an nice honest review probably one of the least biased ones and truly understood what the purpose of this car is. Basically gushed over the NA V8. The engine alone makes it stand out above other cars. Especially the comments he makes at the end of the video about not everyone wants an M3 or M4.

For those that dont like the RCF weight, perhaps wait for the GSF, since the GS is the lightest car in its class.
I think the review was not bad. Loved the fact that he trashed the M4 and said the RC-F engine is head and shoulders above the M4 in terms of monster throttle response and sound.

Sutcliffe seemed to be critical of the weight and how it cannot be hid on the race track and the brakes. Lots of great footage as well.
Old 09-08-14, 05:14 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Another review confirming it's really not a car for "drivers of all skill levels" as was originally promised by Yaguchi.....
Old 09-08-14, 06:16 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Autocar review is kinda hypocritical. Its like he commends the car then says the opposite 5 seconds later. He says traction control takes away the slides, thats what its for! I donno, to me its like theyre looking for things to criticize. Its not a sportscar, but they seem to judge it as a sportscar?
Old 09-08-14, 06:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
The Autocar review is kinda hypocritical. Its like he commends the car then says the opposite 5 seconds later. He says traction control takes away the slides, thats what its for! I donno, to me its like theyre looking for things to criticize. Its not a sportscar, but they seem to judge it as a sportscar?
nobody told them ESP can be defeated completely?
Old 09-08-14, 06:22 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keiusui
The video reviews seem to love the RCF on the track, while the text reviews describe the experience as mediocre. It's almost like the video-reviews and text-reviews are driving two different cars.
Well, most of the text drivers seem to have light feet, IMO.
Old 09-08-14, 06:43 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I think the review was not bad. Loved the fact that he trashed the M4 and said the RC-F engine is head and shoulders above the M4 in terms of monster throttle response and sound.

Sutcliffe seemed to be critical of the weight and how it cannot be hid on the race track and the brakes. Lots of great footage as well.
I bought the RCF for the road...and have no problem with what I am hearing and seeing.

With that said, I think there is some confusion on what setting does what for the drivers, and they seem to be ambivalent and smiling A LOT at the same time.

One thing that I gleamed is that this beast is FUN to drive...and that works for me.

Form your own opinions...
Old 09-08-14, 06:47 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
I expect the confusion. It looks like a beast to me on the track that requires more than less skill to drive. Heck, the new V8 Jaguar is nearly uncontrollable. I am sure our English gents would praise this non-Nipponese ride in the spirit of contributing to the UK economy.

I love the sound and throttle response. It will nicely jet me to the office.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-08-14 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread