RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 03:33 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eoph
This is very disappointing coming from a former racing driver.........
This racing driver apparently suffers from some kind of amnesia. In the video below he praises the NA V8 and prefers it way over the new M4 I6 with "boring sound, boring characteristics and bad response" . C63 AMG is the same type of car as the RC-F. Now, after a couple of months, this kind of solutions are bad , high-polluting and a product from the past.

But he may have some points regarding the weight, of course. Otherwise I find his rewievs as contradictory and incoherent.

Last edited by Mr Bond; 09-06-14 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-06-14, 03:53 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
This racing driver apparently suffers from some kind of amnesia. In the video below he praises the NA V8 and prefers it way over the new M4 I6 with "boring sound, boring characteristics and bad response" . C63 AMG is the same type of car as the RC-F. Now, after a couple of months, this kind of solutions are outdated , high-polluting and a product from the past.

But he may have some points regarding the weight, of course. Otherwise I find his rewiev on the RC-F, M4 and AMG as contradictory and incoherent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAaJRIg63kM
That's the 507 with 500 hp. I think it is not a difference in execution, but result. From what I can see, the RCF does it's job in being very friendly and easy to drive for novices, but cannot exhilarate the hardcore driver. Seems to make sense, since Yaguchi himself said it follows the Japanese philosophy, so he doesn't want to "overwhelm drivers". I guess I was just hoping for some LFA sensory overload.
Old 09-06-14, 03:58 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its because its 'cool' to hate on Lexus. They wont give them props. If it were a BMW or Mercedes, most would love it. Lexus has that 'sneaky speed'. The LFA even surprised people that way. Its so stable and composed it dont feel like you're doing 120mph.
Old 09-06-14, 04:06 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eoph
That's the 507 with 500 hp. I think it is not a difference in execution, but result. From what I can see, the RCF does it's job in being very friendly and easy to drive for novices, but cannot exhilarate the hardcore driver. Seems to make sense, since Yaguchi himself said it follows the Japanese philosophy, so he doesn't want to "overwhelm drivers". I guess I was just hoping for some LFA sensory overload.
That's why there's likely going to the RC-FS or whatever nomenclature they end up going for. A stripped down model with power increases.

The fact is, most drivers are amateurs, and other than ego and bragging wars about who has the biggest hp, quickest 0-60 etc most of those drivers don't get within 8/10 of a modern performance car's ability. Although everyone likes to think of themselves as having F1/WRC like driving skills and being some sort of track hero ie. being "hardcore", the truth is they don't hence it's more worthwhile to have a car set up in a way that allows the driver to actually experience and exploit a car's abilities.
Old 09-06-14, 04:10 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Its because its 'cool' to hate on Lexus. They wont give them props. If it were a BMW or Mercedes, most would love it. Lexus has that 'sneaky speed'. The LFA even surprised people that way. Its so stable and composed it dont feel like you're doing 120mph.
You're right, its cool to hate on Lexus and being the underdog is hard. That is why when you come out with a "halo" car, you have it hit it out of the gate first time and not give people any reason to hate on it. Even though Im sure the RC is a great car, nobody can get past the weight number on paper. They should have addressed it before releasing. It took them 10 years to make the LFA and they got it right. If they needed another year for the RCF, they should have taken it.
Old 09-06-14, 04:13 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
This racing driver apparently suffers from some kind of amnesia. In the video below he praises the NA V8 and prefers it way over the new M4 I6 with "boring sound, boring characteristics and bad response" . C63 AMG is the same type of car as the RC-F. Now, after a couple of months, this kind of solutions are bad , high-polluting and a product from the past.

But he may have some points regarding the weight, of course. Otherwise I find his rewievs as contradictory and incoherent.

Performance coupes go head-to-head: BMW M4 vs. Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG - YouTube
There's a similar car journo to Sutcliffe in Australia. He's actually admitted that he's a Germano-phile and a Porsche addict. Hence I've had to stop reading his car reviews in Australia because you can guarantee that if a German car has a certain feature, he'll rave about it. Yet if a Japanese/Korean car has it, it'll somehow be not important or even worse a negative. He even said that the new M3/4 "soundtrack" was unsurpassed.

It's a trait that a lot of UK/Euro journos have. Not all mind you, but quite a few. It's the old European cars must be better kind of mentality. It doesn't matter if it breaks 6 months after buying it, or it's handling/performance is so extreme that no-one can actually access it.
Old 09-06-14, 04:57 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Actually there is....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...n-the-rcf.html

Joe Z
Old 09-06-14, 05:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
You're right, its cool to hate on Lexus and being the underdog is hard. That is why when you come out with a "halo" car, you have it hit it out of the gate first time and not give people any reason to hate on it. Even though Im sure the RC is a great car, nobody can get past the weight number on paper. They should have addressed it before releasing. It took them 10 years to make the LFA and they got it right. If they needed another year for the RCF, they should have taken it.
Well, same thing happened and is still happening with IS and GS... until the comparo's came.

But even today, you still have journalists reviewing IS and GS, and automatically saying how it is good handler but not as good as BMW... until they test the both together.

Edmunds said week ago that IS350 is not as sophisticated as BMW/MB when they tested new C (but also said BMW is better than MB).

British Whatcar said that IS300h is good but fuel economy is not up to the German diesels. Next week they tested fuel economy vs germans and pronounced it as most economical luxury sedan.

These things are normal and they happen almost always.
Old 09-06-14, 05:22 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
The fact is, most drivers are amateurs, and other than ego and bragging wars about who has the biggest hp, quickest 0-60 etc most of those drivers don't get within 8/10 of a modern performance car's ability. Although everyone likes to think of themselves as having F1/WRC like driving skills and being some sort of track hero ie. being "hardcore", the truth is they don't hence it's more worthwhile to have a car set up in a way that allows the driver to actually experience and exploit a car's abilities.
You're exactly right. Most will do their boasting on paper. That's why specs carry so much weight for them (no pun intended ).
Old 09-06-14, 05:43 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Journalists are just people. And people can be wrong. Just because they dont like the quoted weight theyll call it heavy. I wonder if Lexus claimed it was 3500lbs. if these same journalists would say the same things? Probably so. Theyll just rehash a line they get from the Lexus team and use that as their reasoning for their slant. If you judge your purchases off some magazine or website, thats kinda pointless imo.
Old 09-06-14, 05:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...9teZTXWQ#t=587

Good reasons to pick RC-F from Ron Doron

There is also his first drive of M3/M4 few months back. I dont want to link it since it will show big video but it is on their YT page. I found it interesting how M4 has no sound insulation on the hood at all, it is just bare metal.
Old 09-06-14, 08:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

some words from the chief engineer

Old 09-06-14, 08:57 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

I stand corrected. But that thread title is misleading. Here's an example of a review thread done right from the title to the content inside: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ws-thread.html
Old 09-06-14, 11:12 PM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

The Germans seem to like the RCF check out http://www.autobild.de/ or give it the benefit of doubt.
Old 09-07-14, 06:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

autobild seems to like it

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/lexus...t-5294112.html

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread