RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 12:51 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The autoblog review was great. Hes a tall guy as well, and said he had good room for being near 6'6" plus a helmet.
Old 09-05-14, 12:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive been looking at all the videos and noticing the tire sidewalls arent even squared up with the wheel with a slight stretch look. It looks like they can easily fit 20mm wider tires all around, maybe even more.
Old 09-05-14, 01:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Yaguchi uses the Porsche 911 as a point of comparison for the development of the ISF and most likely the RCF. The 911 is not the fastest car in town, but it's an outstanding ride.

If someone wants an unmanageable road rocket, go by the new Viper.
pretty much what i am looking for. there is a reason why i like the lfa so much more than say, the sv. it might not be faster on straight but i don't care, i like a car that's connected and fun to drive and one that makes me want to drive again and again
Old 09-05-14, 01:55 PM
kesando
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that Gadgetry Tech Video. It's awesome seeing the RC-F in action. And that sound!
Old 09-05-14, 03:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It is easy to see from the mule videos at Nurburgring that the RCF will eat up the ISF on the track. Sorry, but there is no way any of our ISF's, stock for stock, corner the way the RCF does with TVD. Trust me: there will be comparisons, and we'll see the results.
Stock for stock yes. If you put the IS-F on the same wheels and tires as the RCF, the extra heft will take a serious toll, and I'd be surprised if the RCF laps faster than the latest model IS-F with the wheel and tire upgrade.

You would be stunned to know my Scion tC has better midcorner speed than both the IS-F and my Supra. All I did was put 245s on it in place of the stock 215s.

I am disappointed, and I think everything MP said is exactly on point. They really missed a perfect opportunity to put the GT two door world on its ear.
Old 09-05-14, 03:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ive been looking at all the videos and noticing the tire sidewalls arent even squared up with the wheel with a slight stretch look. It looks like they can easily fit 20mm wider tires all around, maybe even more.
Not really. The rims are the right width for the tires they are using. Its not about how it looks, it's about how it performs. I already dug deep into this as soon as I saw 19x10 with a 41mm offset. Four of those would fully transform the IS-F by allowing 285 width tires...but not 295. 295 Pilot Super Sports want a 10.5" rim.
Old 09-05-14, 03:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people already discounting the car only going by "feel" interviews on pre production vehicles where no instrumentation was used to generate any performance numbers.
Old 09-05-14, 03:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

people already discounting the car only going by "feel" interviews on pre production vehicles where no instrumentation was used to generate any performance numbers.
Unfortunately, one of them has. Motor Trend tested the prototype and it did a 12.9@110 mph, which is shocking. I don't know what is up with the prototypes. Have they not been broken in yet or something with the ECU. MT said Lexus had reflashed the prototype ECUs after the test.
Old 09-05-14, 03:22 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Not really. There's nothing subjective about weight. Physics is physics.

Last edited by TimboIS; 09-05-14 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 03:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
pretty much what i am looking for. there is a reason why i like the lfa so much more than say, the sv. it might not be faster on straight but i don't care, i like a car that's connected and fun to drive and one that makes me want to drive again and again
Two things that were common denominator in all reviews and what made the LFA a legend were that the driving experience was uncompromised. The steering, chassis, throttle, engine etc. everything screamed at the driver with every information with urgent immediacy. That is why it was called "sensory overload" by most reviewers.

Then there was the fact that despite it was not the quickest in the straight line, it beat cars with way more horsepower around the race track without using race tires (SV, for example).

I am still really hoping RC-F can shine in one of those areas. Either performance numbers or driving dynamics.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-05-14 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 04:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Old 09-05-14, 04:36 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
"It might be as good as the M4.". Keep the faith brothers.
Old 09-05-14, 04:37 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mso4
Now you have my attention, go on . . . lol

Actually I never thought about that, manufacturers always underestimate their 0-60 times. I guess I should hold my judgement until we get a full on comparison. But for this kind of dough I expect at least a 4 sec time.

And I agree, BMW historically makes great driving cars. Yet their engineers are so clueless about how to keep them reliable. It's as if they don't understand the concept of reliability.
We need to see real drivers pushing it to the limit. It will perform...
Old 09-05-14, 04:45 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Stock for stock yes. If you put the IS-F on the same wheels and tires as the RCF, the extra heft will take a serious toll, and I'd be surprised if the RCF laps faster than the latest model IS-F with the wheel and tire upgrade.

You would be stunned to know my Scion tC has better midcorner speed than both the IS-F and my Supra. All I did was put 245s on it in place of the stock 215s.

I am disappointed, and I think everything MP said is exactly on point. They really missed a perfect opportunity to put the GT two door world on its ear.
You need to consider the targeted buyer. I am not certain that it is the ISF owner first and foremost. And I expect to see a new ISF in 2017.

Just as you can tweak the makeup of the ISF, the same can be done with the new RCF.

The target was not the M4, in my opinion. I believe it was the RS5 and the C63--those potential buyers. So, it's not so much about time to the next light as it is overall driving experience--where the RCF already appears to be making big points. The big brother LFA is twice the cost of competing cars and slower, but it's still being hailed as an engineering marvel and the best Supercar on the planet.

Yaguchi has set a lofty goal in the evolution of the F cars. I expect the GSF to be slower than the M5 but a superior driving experience. This is the F brand of the future.

Everyone does not need to buy into the strategy. I'm in.
Old 09-05-14, 04:47 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to see real drivers pushing it to the limit. It will perform...
From what I've read so far, it seems it is the ex pro drivers pushing it at the limit that are complaining.......maybe they got a hit making it an awesome ride for amateurs, but that isn't what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread