RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 07:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts
Default RC 350 gets no love from WSJ

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/lex...5-04-18?page=1
It could be that, despite some quite bombastic advertising, the RC 350 is not a performance car but a capering boulevardier with a soundtrack of cute, kitteny growls. This content-rich Toyota TM, -0.54% puts a hurting on the scales, 3,894 pounds in F Sport trim, according to Car and Driver; that’s 329 pounds more than the Cadillac ATS Coupe 3.6 the lads weighed. The massy, thickly padded, heavily damped mien of the RC stirs the motoring blood like camomile tea.
Not at all what one would hope from a review.
Old 04-23-15, 09:55 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/lex...5-04-18?page=1

Not at all what one would hope from a review.
This stuff really belongs in the RC thread, but here is some more in the way of comments on the RC 350:

"An all-new model that's derived from other Lexus models, the 2015 Lexus RC 350 coupe is a mix of the new and the familiar. Its striking cabin and rear-wheel-drive dynamics makes for a well-rounded package that isn't afraid to stand out in a crowd." -- Edmunds

"The RC 350 successfully pulls off a combination of comfort and composure." -- AutoTrader

“If you've been pining for a luxury sports coupe with aggressive design and the upscale amenities and enviable history of reliability that come with every Lexus, the RC might just be the mid-$40,000 coupe you've been awaiting." -- Kelley Blue Book

"The base RC 350 offers the pizazz of a coupe with enough luxury to merit the label." -- AutoWeek
Old 04-25-15, 07:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Open Road Vancouver produced this new video

Old 04-26-15, 04:44 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Open Road Vancouver produced this new video

The Pursuit: Lexus RC F x Ken Gushi - YouTube

Oh yeah, You can burn up $1,000 in rear rubber with no problem. This engine loves to race high, and the more you push it, the more it wants. Keep it in the peak torque band, and the experience takes on a new meaning.

I hit 802 miles tonight and just came back from a back road run, testing the slalom setting for the TVD.

You can take this car to the limit, if you have the skill. I am in awe of what Lexus did with this TVD. This stuff actually works, and you really need to vary the settings to develop mastery of this F car. It can be a lamb, or you can release the beast--all at the push of a button and twist of a ****.

Great video find. I need to get this guy on a track soon. Even my wife is getting hooked on the high speed cornering..a first!

Last edited by ISF001; 04-26-15 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 02:16 AM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CarAdvice Review. 6.5 / 10

http://www.caradvice.com.au/349283/2...s-rc-f-review/

"It begs the question, who is the Lexus RC F designed for? It’s too heavy to be a performance car and while it’s a nice place to be inside, it’s no better than its German rivals."
Old 04-27-15, 09:25 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Lexus RC 350 & RC F: Jekyll meet Hyde

Originally Posted by AussieISF
CarAdvice Review. 6.5 / 10

http://www.caradvice.com.au/349283/2...s-rc-f-review/

"It begs the question, who is the Lexus RC F designed for? It’s too heavy to be a performance car and while it’s a nice place to be inside, it’s no better than its German rivals."
HAHA...We are talking Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when it comes down to comparing the RC 350 and the RCF. (Probably the same with regard to the "German Rivals for that matter."

The RCF is not an easy car to drive: it will MATCH your level of driving skill and proficiency or your lack of skill and mediocrity. It will level set to the driver.

Honestly, how do some of these editors get their jobs in the automotive publications industry? Some of these stories look like Swiss cheese.

BTW: I have over 800 miles logged in the F. The more that I drive it as a daily driver on highways and open roads, the more I believe this car DOES belong on a track. Those editors who are quick to judge have obviously not experienced the car.

This Willow Springs, Streets of Willow Times, I call impressive.

14. BMW M4 1:23.73 '14 431 / 1497 randy pobst
15. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 1:23.87 '08 647 / 1530
16. Lexus RC F 1:24.05 '14 477 / 0 randy pobst

The RCF is also a remarkably safe car to drive near its limits, and I find this reassuring and impressive.

http://pursuitist.com/lexus-rc350-rc...yll-meet-hyde/

Lexus RC 350 & RC F: Jekyll meet Hyde

By Harvey Briggs in Auto

Dr. Henry Jekyll was educated, mild-mannered, stylish and sophisticated. His alter ego, Mr. Edward Hyde was rough, powerful, mysterious and dangerous. That pretty much sums up the difference between the base RC 350 and the RC F.

It’s rare that two cars built on the same platform and bearing the same nameplate are so radically different that they don’t feel like siblings at all. But apart from their silhouette, about the only the Lexus RC 350 and RC F have in common is that they both burn gasoline.

The RC350 is powered by a 3.5 liter, naturally aspirated, double overhead cam, V6 engine that makes 306 Horsepower at 6,400 RPM. It comfortably moves from 0-60 in just about 6 seconds whether you choose rear- or all-wheel drive. The rear-wheel drive RC350 sports an 8-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, though you’ll probably rarely use them. This is not a sports coupe, but a comfortable tourer. The base double-wishbone front and rear multilink suspension system is set up not so much to dominate corners as negotiate with them. The electronic power steering is light, adding to the feeling of isolation from the road. The RC 350 doesn’t dig in when pushed. It floats and wanders just a bit, politely suggesting you back off the throttle just a bit next time you encounter a similar corner.

From the outside, the car looks very sporting with angles, curves, bulges and brightwork in all the right places. The standard 18-inch 5-spoke wheels are handsome, but the optional 19-inch wheels are a major improvement, filling the wheel wells better and giving the car a more aggressive appearance. The lines are crisp and the front fascia is one of the better expressions of the Lexus signature spindle grill.

Inside, however, things are just a little bit softer. The seats offer modest lateral support. They are infinitely adjustable and very comfortable as long as you’re not pushing the RC 350 to its limits. The standard NuLuxe fabric is very nicely crafted, but opting for the real leather trim adds significantly to the car’s overall feel. The front seats offer plenty of leg, hip, shoulder and headroom, but like all 2+2s, the back seat only works if your trip is very quick or your legs are very short.

The RC350 is classic Lexus. Everything about it is expertly put together. Everything about it makes total sense. It’s an almost perfect blend of style, luxury and practicality. It has every bell and whistle you could possibly imagine available, from Mark Levinson premium audio and navigation to all-wheel drive, heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated front seats, back up camera, blind spot monitor, park assist and adaptive cruise control. And yet, as someone who loves the thrill of driving, it leaves me wanting more. The more time I spent behind the wheel of the RC 350 the more clear it became this is a car is for people who want a stylish coupe with lots of content but are not particularly interested in driving.

In this sense, the RC 350 succeeds spectacularly. It is the suave, sophisticated and very likable Dr. Jekyll personified.

But then Lexus took the RC platform into its lab and administered a sinister potion to transform the docile base coupe into the automotive expression of Mr. Edward Hyde.

Its shoulders are broader, its stance is more athletic, its profile is just a little longer, all creating a sense that what’s beneath the sharply folded sheet metal is more aggressive than its milquetoast sibling. Add the carbon fiber roof, rear spoiler, and 19-inch 20-spoke wheels and the RC’s transformation is complete. In this trim the RC F makes its intentions clear to anyone who walks by or sees it coming up quickly in his rearview mirror. This is a badass coupe.

It’s in the RC F that the chassis, that takes components from both the GS and IS, really starts to acquit itself well. This is highly rigid platform thanks to significant bracing in engine compartment, cowl and rear sections. Laser screw welding and special body adhesives means the body panels add to the car’s overall stiffness. This creates a solid foundation on which the suspension does its work. The drive system is adjustable via a **** on the center console and can take you from Eco to Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ where the fun really begins. The result is a rear-wheel drive performance coupe that is ready to give the BMW M4, Audi S5 and Cadillac CTS-V and Mercedes E550 a run for their money.

The RC F is powered by a 5.0 Liter V8 engine. It uses variable valve timing and electronic controls to deliver 467 horsepower at 7,100 RPM while still being infinitely manageable cruising through town. Here, the 8-speed transmission’s paddle shifters are a very useful tool. Especially if you ever get the chance to take the RC F out on your favorite track. Holding the car at higher revs allows you to hang the tale and drift the well balanced coupe through just about any corner.

Inside the interior is transformed as well. The 10-way power driver sport seat includes power lumbar support and three-position memory for the driver and front passenger. The NuLuxe fabric works really well here and Lexus have also added significant side and thigh bolstering because in this version of the RC you need all the seat-hugging support you can get. The steering wheel is the right size and shape, making it easy to control the car. And the speed sensitive power steering adds feeling and feedback as your right foot angle increases. The instrument panel is also completely transformed and infinitely configurable providing you with a wealth of information should you choose to delve into its depths.

There’s nothing subtle about the RC F. It’s a high performance coupe that snarls and growls, looking to pick a fight with other cars in this class. Based on its performance numbers – 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and a 12.5 second quarter mile – those battles would be close and epic.

Pricing on the RC 350 and RC F are competitive, with the base model starting at $42,790 (RWD) and $45,025 (AWD), and the F version starting at $62,400. Add the Mark Levinson Audio, the carbon fiber bits, better wheels and tires and the HDD Navigation system and that price will climb to well over $70k. There is also an RC 350 F-sport which resides somewhere in between the two. But unfortunately we did not have time to test it. Once it becomes available, we’ll drive it and provide our perspective.

So whether you choose the RC 350 or the RC F, you’re getting a car that will perform as intended. You just have to decide whether the one you want is the genteel Dr. Jekyll or the sinister Mr. Hyde.

Last edited by ISF001; 04-27-15 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-27-15, 05:40 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default RCF on Track

Old 05-01-15, 05:33 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default CarPro--Test Drive: 2015 Lexus RCF Review

I was a little confused when I first saw the 2015 Lexus RC F coupe. It was so un-Lexus like outside and inside, it just seemed weird. When I got behind the wheel and started to experience the car, it all came clear… Lexus is stepping out of the box, and clearly trying to get younger buyers into showrooms. I suspect it is going to work.

The luxury performance segment is red-hot right now and Lexus now has a player. The RC coupe has been around for a while, and it is nice, but nothing super special. Other than the very expensive LS luxury flagship Lexus, the RC is the least volume Lexus sold in the U.S. While the RC F is an exceptional car, I don’t expect it to be much more than a halo car, but it is a darned good one!

Let’s start under the hood where you will find a 5.0-liter V8 that is putting out a whopping 467-horses while hooked to an 8-speed automatic. This combination puts you at 60 miles per hour in just little over 4 seconds, and it does it with ease and determination.

When you walk up to the RC F, you notice very chiseled lines, a functional hood scoop, and functional air vents in the fenders. The hood scoop helps with performance, and the heat-dissipating fenders relieve heat coming off the massive 15” Brembo brakes that do an exceptional job stopping this almost 4000 pound sports coupe. You also cannot help but notice the electronically controlled rear spoiler, and an exceptional set of 19-inch, 20-spoke wheels. From behind, chrome quad exhaust pipes look terrific.

Open the door to enter the cockpit, and you’ll first notice a sporty but luxurious interior with heated and cooled, very contoured front seats. You can see Lexus paid tremendous attention to detail in every aspect of the interior, including the front seat headrests.

Behind the wheel, the gauge cluster looks daunting at first, but once you get the hang of configuring it, you quickly grow to love it. A nice-sized center stack with armrest gives you a nice spot for your right arm and hand, and two full-sized cup holders make it easy to get to your drinks and operate the round drive mode selector. This is where this car gets interesting.

You have choices in what you want the RC F to be. In normal mode, you have a more traditional Lexus ride and drive. Switch it to Eco if you want to maximize your fuel economy, and then go to Sport mode and you will feel the RC F begin to change personalities and turn into a completely different car. The next step is Sport Plus, which is where I left it 90% of the time. When you go into this mode, the gauges change to highlight your RPMs, you feel an immediate change in the transmission, and the steering tightens up. For me, I get the same sensation I get when I put my Corvette into Track mode…a very tight car that makes you feel in complete control.

Also interesting, when in Sport Plus, hit the traction control button and the gauge will tell you that you are now in Expert mode which Lexus warns you is not a good idea. Unless you drive a lot of fast, rear-wheel drive cars, I would agree, you could lose the car without the traction control engaged. Quite by accident I also learned that if you hold the traction control button down for three seconds, it goes into a mode they didn’t even give a name too. It is for Lexus engineers and technicians to use, and as the saying goes, “don’t try this at home.”

My advice is to stick to Sport Plus mode, partially due to the fantastic sound you hear upon acceleration. This sound is electronically enhanced through the car speakers, but guess what? As cheesy as it seems to do this, you won’t care, it’s that good. Also enjoyable is the Torque Vectoring system that shifts power to different wheels, up to 70% in fact. Take a hard left curve, and the RCF shifts power to the right side for better control. This car, in Sport Plus mode makes you look like a better driver than you actually are.

As you would expect from a Lexus, the RC F comes nicely equipped with standard features like paddle shifters, the Brembo brakes, LED headlights and daytime running lights, push button start, power seats, backup camera, power tilting F-spec steering wheels with controls, and more.

My Ultra Sonic Blue Mica review vehicle has the great wheels mentioned earlier for $1000, money well spent. In other options, $4400 gets you the Premium Package which is heated and cooled seats, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, parking sensors, Carbon Fiber interior trim and rain-sensing wipers. $2800 will get you navigation system, a 17-speaker Mark Levinson sound system, and Lexus Enform, a suite of apps too give you real-time weather, traffic, fuel prices, and any app you have on your cell phone. All that is accessible from a touchpad in the console, which I didn’t really care for.

In other options, $800 gets you the upgraded leather seating, and $1100 will get you a power moon roof.

The price of the RC F surprised me initially, but once I figured out you are actually getting two different cars, I was OK with it, especially when you look at pricing on some of the competition that doesn’t stack up to this car.

In summary, I never thought I would be reviewing a true Lexus sports car, but that is what this is when you tailor the Drive Mode to your mood. My behind the wheel time got cut short by a pothole and a lack of a spare tire, but the six days I had the car, it was a pure joy.

What I liked most: Looks, performance, and handling.

What I would change: Give me a spare tire and wheel and jack!

MSRP: Base price $62,400. As equipped $74,560.

Fuel Economy: 16 City/25 highway/19 combined, actually doing better.

Odometer reading when tested: 2200 miles.

Weight: 3958 Pounds.

Length-Width-Height: 185.2” long/72.6” wide/54.7” High.

Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.4 gallons

Towing Capacity: N/A

2015 Lexus RC F in a few words: A real beast, but also a luxury Lexus inside.

Warranty: 4-year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, 6-year/70,000 mile powertrain coverage with 5 years of roadside assistance.

Car Pro Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars.

Dealers: We have two great Lexus dealers in Dallas-Fort Worth. Also, dealers in Houston, Sacramento, Lubbock, and Portland.

Manufacturers website: Lexus
Old 05-01-15, 10:33 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Great Write Up ISF! But, the LAST thing i want to do is ADD Weight with the spare tire, wheel & jack!
Old 05-07-15, 08:49 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus new coupe does performance much better than any of the brand's other attempts. How does the V-8-powered 2015 Lexus RC F compete against its BMW rival, the 2015 turbocharged six-cylinder M4?
Watch the video to find out.
Old 05-07-15, 12:00 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motor
Sounded like a BMW commercial, IMO, from another "leading" automotive critic who wants to standout. A nice try...he failed to mention many of the M4 runs are not breaking a 4.1.

Sorry guys, but this fellow had his story written before he did his Sunday drive in the F. Many critics have yet to be convinced that M turbo-charging is the way to go, e.g. Road and Track.

He needs to learn how to drive a Lexus 8-speed and set up the F. After 1,000 miles of spirited driving, the ECU is giving me what I want when I want it. Near the limit the car fires plenty fast through the gears--particularly in manual.

I'm done...
Old 05-07-15, 12:39 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Also enjoyable is the Torque Vectoring system that shifts power to different wheels, up to 70% in fact. Take a hard left curve, and the RCF shifts power to the right side for better control. This car, in Sport Plus mode makes you look like a better driver than you actually are.
This part of the review stood out for me. I thought the TVD was able to provide 100% of the available torque to either wheel.
Old 05-07-15, 01:38 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redspencer
This part of the review stood out for me. I thought the TVD was able to provide 100% of the available torque to either wheel.
http://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-torque...ial-explained/

I am not sure it can be transferred at 100%. This is an excellent video on TVD.
Old 05-07-15, 04:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 05-07-15, 06:16 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Another James Hunt wanna be...

A few corrections for the uninformed:

1. The RCF TVD (not e-Diff) runs a 4.3 all day long.
2. If I can drift this car anyone can (except this race car driver and Clarkson from Top Gear).

What does this look like to you?

3. It is not the slowest car in the segment (perhaps the way he drives it).

Sorry folks but I take exception to these morons who presume mastery of the RCF with little driver experience (minimal road time and a few track laps) and with questionable driving skills. Any monkey can drive around a track.

The RCF has redefined the class with its brutal elegance.

Last edited by ISF001; 05-07-15 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread