RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 07:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Spanish review, but some very nice and tight close ups of the bodywork on RC-F

Maybe someone who knows Spanish can give a summary?

Old 09-18-14, 08:07 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is so much coverage, I don't know if this one surfaced.

Leftlane's bottom line
This ain't you're grandfather's Lexus anymore. After years of cranking out comfortable cruisers, Lexus has a pair of bona fide sports coupes with its RC 350 and RC F.

The RC 350 is a worthy alternative to any vehicle in the segment and, dare we say it, the RC F might be our choice over the M4. That's quite the endorsement, but it's hard to pick against a car that combines the technical gadgetry of the M4 and the V8 grunt of the C63 AMG.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/first-dr...#ixzz3Dj9kkdPC
Old 09-18-14, 08:24 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Behind The Wheel: The All New 2015 Lexus RCF
By David Ponce on 09/10/14

Speaking of stability control, Lexus calls theirs “Vehicle Dynamic Integrated Management (VDIM) system.” It’s a system that monitors and coordinates a slew of different variables, from the powertrain, ABS, electric power steering, and traction control (TRAC), to the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) systems. This allows it to subtly keep you on the road once you’ve pushed the car just beyond its limits. But unlike the stability control of other manufacturers (looking at you, BMW), Lexus does its job so subtly that you barely notice it happened. While a BMW experiencing a loss of traction will simply cut power to the engine, causing a mass deceleration, the RCF simply dials it down a notch, but still keep on pushing. The result is that you’ll barely lose any speed, but just enough to keep you on the track. It’s seamless and it’s the one thing that makes this car so accessible.

The Conclusion
Because in the end, I’d say this is the big salient point of this car: accessibility. It’s a car that’s aimed at a particular kind of buyer: a younger, early 40’s professional male. He earns a good six figure income, and he’d like a sports car. But he’s not a professional driver. He wants something he can take to the track twice a month, and would like to feel like he’s doing some serious driving… but not necessarily by learning how to drive seriously. The RCF is a massive monster on 4 wheels, that you can simply point in the direction you want, and go. There’s so much tech designed to keep you on the road, but all of it is nearly invisible, rarely making you aware that it isn’t, in fact, just you making these crazy laps around the track.

The RCF stacks up well against its competition, at least on paper. I haven’t had a chance to drive either of the Germans, but despite lagging behind on some metrics, I have to say I came away from my weekend thoroughly impressed with what Japan has put together. Starting in the upper $62,000, this is a more than reasonable way to get in on that exciting segment of the automotive market. Can Lexus stand toe-to-toe agains the likes of the M4 and C63? You bet!

Read more: http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/09/10/be...#ixzz3DjDG1Y5D
Follow us: @ohgizmo on Twitter | ohgizmo on Facebook

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2014/09/10/be...015-lexus-rcf/
Old 09-20-14, 05:18 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Automobile Review--RC and RCF

The article probably best explains the concept of "accessible performance."

Note: The numbers quoted in the article are based on what Lexus published for the car. I expect to see, as a result of independent testing, the low-end acceleration of the production (non-pre-production prototype) car to be closer to the M4 and pull at least a 4.1 0-60. Why? The ISF has a power-to-weight ratio of 9.08 hp per pound versus the RCF with 8.47 hp per pound. The ISF is spec'd by Lexus at 4.6, yet it runs a 4.2 in the right driver's hands. We'll see if this extrapolation holds water in the months ahead. BTW: As a point of comparison, the M4 has a power-to-weight of 8.30 hp per pound versus the 8.47 of the RCF.

For the time being, give this candid article a go.

A normally aspirated motor is an unusual choice in a segment increasingly dominated by engines featuring forced induction. "The current generation of turbos doesn't offer the linear acceleration we wanted," says chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi. Still, the RC F can't match the instant thrust of the M4 turbo, which is significantly quicker accelerating from 0 to 60 mph -- 3.9 seconds versus 4.4 seconds. On the other hand, the howl of the Lexus V-8 makes the M4 sound tame in comparison. ...

As befits the most exotic thoroughbred in the Lexus stable, the RC F boasts significantly more grunt and grip. Of course, numbers like 467 horsepower and 389 lb-ft of torque are required elements in this segment, and you'd expect nothing less of a car that starts at $63,325. But the RC F is the product of a different design philosophy than the competition. "It's not just about being fast," Yaguchi says. "There are many cars in this market designed so that only a professional driver can maximize the performance. The RC F is unique because anybody can jump in the car and enjoy it regardless of his skill level."

The 2015 Lexus RC F offers even more stability control adjustments than the F Sport, and the addition of the torque-vectoring diff provides additional Normal, Track and Slalom modes. In the Track setting, drivers can kick out the tail by booting the throttle and settle into a lovely drift. But the onboard computer reacts immediately to prevent the classic novice error -- abruptly backing out of the throttle in mid-corner -- from resulting in catastrophe, and it applies corrections so seamlessly that most drivers won't even realize that they've just had their bacon saved.

And that's the beauty of the 2015 Lexus RC F. In the hands of a highly skilled driver, the M4 may post faster lap times. But drivers without as much talent and/or experience should be able to come closer to unlocking the potential of the RC F thanks to an electronic stability control system that behaves more like a personal driver coach than a tyrannical nanny. It's too early to tell whether it will be advantage Lexus. But it's clear that the RC will be a player in the game.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz3Dr7hxpyG
Follow us: @AutomobileMag on Twitter | AutomobileMag on Facebook

Last edited by ISF001; 09-20-14 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-20-14, 07:58 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Lexus's RC F Cranks Up the Naughty to Challenge BMW M4

Jason Harper at Bloomsberg/Business Week received a "Thanks for covering the RCF" note from me about his article.

Jason dropped me a quick note:

"Glad you liked it! I think you're gonna LOVE the car. It's sophisticated, fast and fun..."

You can read his coverage, if you've not seen it at:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ge-bmw-m4.html

Last edited by ISF001; 09-20-14 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-21-14, 03:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Some very nice track driving footage in the video. Still shifting too soon in most places. Easily looks like it has another 300 - 400 rpm in it. Let it scream all the way.

Old 09-21-14, 11:22 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done a couple of Skip Barber racing schools at Laguna Seca. Last time was with a buddy who's DD is a 911 Turbo. We sampled all sorts of cars from Mazda RX-8 to Porsche 911 on track, autocross, skidpad. Our favorite wasn't the fastest or nimblest, it was the IS F because it was fun, solid, rip-roaring fast, and ACCESSIBLE to a novice or intermediate level driver. Same goes for the RC F. For guys like us who want to go tear up a track occasionally and have an "executive GT" all in one, the RC F seems like a great choice. I'll take mine in USB with black interior, please.
Old 09-22-14, 10:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/track...lexus-has-come

By John Goreham G+ 2014-09-22 09:58
2015 Lexus RC F destroys the 2014 IS F on track

We had the chance to lay down dozens of fast laps in the 2014 Lexus IS F sedan and 2015 Lexus RC F coupe. What is clear is that Lexus built upon the IS F, and that the RC F is now miles ahead.

My apologies for the dramatic headline, but it is not untrue. Torque News recently had two opportunities to track the fastest of Lexus’ production cars, the 2014 IS F and the 2015 RC F. Both were run at the Monticello Motor Club, arguably the best racetrack in the Northeast. I’m a fan of the Lexus line, and owner of an IS 350C and prior owner of a Supra. What I learned over about 32 total laps in these two amazing cars is that the IS F will always be a legend, and that the RC F improves upon the IS F in almost every objective and subjective way.

IS F is a Balanced Car

Let’s start at the end. The IS F’s best feature in my opinion is its balance. It is a car with enough engine, enough brakes, and amazing handling on a road course. A semi-skilled driver, like myself, can enjoy the IS F on track for hours. With each lap, the driver can learn more and push the car just a little farther.

RC F Has More and Better Drive Modes

By comparison to the RCF the IS F has only one track setting, called “Sport.” The RC F has Sport, Sport Plus, and a setting called “Expert” that is not shown on the options in the car, but can be accessed by owners and Lexus pro drivers. These settings are what really set the RC F apart from the IS F.

In Sport Plus, the RC F’s AI (artificial Intelligence) transmission is amazing. I wrote a whole story on just this part of the car. In brief, the AI sport direct shift 8-speed in the RC F has the car in the power band all the time on track. The IS F by contrast, does not. When exiting corners the IS F can be often caught in a dead spot at the bottom of the rev band and requires a shift or two that the RC F does not. Yes, you can paddle shift both cars, but for me the RC F in Sport Plus and in the “Drive” setting was much more satisfying. It makes you much faster.

No, the IS F Does Not Have the Same Engine As RC F

With regard to engines, both share a block and not much else. However they both behave the same way. At low RPMs they have one sound, then as the revs climb and the cars “come on cam” and switch their variable valve timing to the aggressive settings, they bellow, and the thrust comes on strong. The feeling is almost like a forced induction car (supercharged or turbocharged), but more gradual and later in the rev band. The RC F is also just more powerful. Its 467 hp provide noticeably more thrust than the 416 hp the IS F has.

Seats Matter - RC F is Much Better

This may sound silly, but another area the RC F beats the IS F is with regard to the seat. The RC F holds the driver. The side bolsters in the bottom of the seat keep the driver firmly and comfortably in place. The IS F’s seat does not. I found myself sliding into the door and down when braking. So to offset this, I had to brace myself with my left leg and the dead pedal. After 8 laps, my back was stiff and sore. After 20 laps in the RC F plus another 4 in the RC 350, I was still in good shape physically. The RC F seats also worked great on-road. I drove it for 3 hours that same day on city and highway routes. Finally, the RC F seats are all ready for racing harnesses. A big plus for track cars, though I don’t expect many of the 2,000 RC F’s Lexus plans to build per year to end up track-only cars.

Both Are Great Compared to Competitors

In terms of enjoyment on-track, the two cars are both great, and they are very similar to one another as opposed to say the Dodge Challenger Hellcat, which I also drove. That car is a big, overweight, tippy thing that does not like corners. On track it behaves like the mascot at a football game, and the Lexus cars are athletes on the field.
Compared to the M3 I drove (one lap only) it is clear that M3 is much more of a track star than either the IS F or RC F. It is totally obvious and not a debatable point. However, I am faster in the RC F and prefer it. The M3 is more “industrial.” It is too serious.

I hope that Lexus will bring back the IS F using the new third-generation IS platform and the drivetrain form the new RC F. In fact, I am getting the vibe that they will, but not until after the GS F is done (next year). Given that the IS F (now out of production but still might be found for sale new) and the RC F are almost exactly the same price, what Lexus is offering in the new 2015 RC F is much better overall value than the 2014 IS F. If you are one of the handful of people considering one or the other I hope I made it clear which I would prefer and why.
Old 09-22-14, 12:24 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

^^i like this review.
Old 09-26-14, 10:23 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Toronto Ontario based TV show driving.ca review:

http://driving.ca/lexus/reviews/road...015-lexus-rc-f

Hot, aggressive sports coupe signals a complete brand remake for Lexus
David Booth
By David Booth
Originally published: September 4, 2014

MONTICELLO MOTOR CLUB, New York — Look at this car. Look closer. As you can plainly see, it’s a Lexus, usually a promise of reliable but somnolent transportation with the emphasis on perfection (as in the relentless pursuit thereof), excitement taking a back seat to things like interior panel gaps and starter motor reliability.

But check out that aggressively sculpted grille. Doesn’t it look like some sort of Tyrese Gibson-baiting wedge-like battering ram from Jason Statham’s remake of Death Race 2000? Or how about those fender flares that look like refugees from some aborted 24 Hours of Le Mans effort? And jeez, the darn thing has more scoops, vents and air intakes than a freakin’ F-14. What is going on here?

What’s going on is that we are quite literally witnessing the heretofore most important signal that Toyota’s luxury arm is undergoing a complete brand remake. I don’t mean this particular Lexus is sporty or even that they will have a few sporty models, but that the company’s entire raison d’etre is a-changing.

The IS, first introduced in 2001, was a hint that something was up with the once-somnolent automaker, the little 3 Series competitor a toe in the water as Lexus, like a three-year-old, tried to determine whether jumping in the pool was really a good idea. And while the LFA may have been proof that Toyota’s engineers could play in the sports car field usually reserved for Europeans and the occasional mad American, the 12 or so they produced was yet more proof the company was not yet ready to let go of its slumberous heritage. But this car — a mainstream sports coupe so aggressive it could be Italian — is final proof that Lexus no longer wants to be known as the Oldsmobile of the Japanese luxury set.

They want to be BMW.

Indeed, the company’s tactics virtually mirror current Bavarian practice. Like the flying propeller company, which has separated its entry-level luxury platforms into 3 (sedans) and 4 (coupes) Series, Lexus now has RC and IS two- and four-door variants of the same platform. BMW has M performance variants of its base models; Lexus moved a few letters down the alphabet and chose F for its vroom models. In fact, Lexus has done BMW one better: While the German manufacturer usually takes a year or so to introduce the M version variant of its base sedan or coupe, Lexus is taking the wraps of the pedestrian version of the and the full-zoot RC F simultaneously (though we lowly Canucks aren’t getting the RC300h hybrid that is currently only being sold in Japan). And though the base RC will be the money-maker (Lexus Canada is looking to sell about 1,000 RC 350s per year), it is the RC F (100 per year) that will face the most scrutiny, as it is taking aim directly at the most iconic sports car of all, BMW’s M4 (née M3) coupe.

So, does it have the chops?

Certainly, perusing the RC F’s spec sheet points to a seriousness not seen in any previous mass-produced Lexus (and, yes, I am counting the IS F). For one thing, though the rest of the sporting world has turned to turbocharging as the way forward to combine performance and fuel economy, Lexus has resolutely stayed with — sporting purists rejoice! — its normally-aspirated 5.0-litre V8. More highly-tuned than even the IS F’s similarly displaced engine, the RC F’s V8 revs higher (to 7,300 rpm), harder (pumping out 467 horsepower, up from the IS F’s 416 hp), and, perhaps most impressively, with better fuel economy (the RC F’s engine can switch automatically to a fuel-sipping, Prius-like Atkinson cycle, negating the need for the supposed economies of turbocharging). It’s an impressive bit of kit.

Harnessing all that power is a drivetrain that is at once simple and extremely complicated. Simple is the single rate suspension. No Adaptive Variable Suspension here, Lexus determined that the RC F’s sporting seriousness not be diluted by having the suspension have to coddle the passengers as well.

Complicated, however, is the only way to describe the myriad electronics controlling the rest of the chassis/powertrain. First there’s the Drive Mode Select, which determines throttle response, shift points and a bunch of other performance criteria. You also get to choose between automated and “manual” modes for the eight-speed automatic transmission. Then there’s the (optional) Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD), which allows the driver to select from Standard, Slalom and Track settings for its power distribution. Raising the complication even further is that, depending on which Drive Mode Select you choose — Eco, Sport S and Sport S+ — it will alter the TVD torque split within those Standard, Slalom and Track parameters. Got that all? Oh, and have I mentioned that you can shut the whole s$%t and shaboodle down in S + mode, relieving the vehicle’s stability and traction control of their duties with only that torque vectoring differential between you and a high-speed pirouette.

On the track — where Lexus Canada’s director, Cyril Dimitris, sees many owners playing — things are a lot simpler. If you’re in the base RC F, just slip into Sport S mode if you want a little slippy-slidey or S + if you’re feeling seriously frisky. The on-board electronics take care of the rest.

And it’s more than a fair ride. It’s impossible to state categorically that the RC F is the M4’s equal without back-to-back testing, but on the wide-open confines of Monticello, the new Lexus is a veritable track weapon. That big V8 accelerates to 100 kilometres an hour in just 4.5 seconds on its way to a 270 km/h electronically-limited top speed, all the while bellowing like an AMG’ed CL550 before Mercedes discovered those infernal, exhaust-stifling turbochargers. The suspension that feels a trifle stiff on public roads keep the meaty (275/35ZR19 rear and 255/35ZR19 front) Michelin Super Sports glued to the road. And, even though the base version doesn’t have that all-singing, all-dancing TVD rear differential, it handles a treat, the steering all but as communicative as a good BMW while the big Brembo brakes do an admirable job of resisting fade.
2015 Lexus RC F.

Indeed, unless you’re going to be spending a lot of time on the racetrack or have an inordinate fondness for carbon-fibre roofs, you don’t need Lexus’ optional Performance package. On the other hand, switching the TVD-equipped version to Track mode does settle the F a little and prevent high-speed understeer. Beware of the Slalom mode, however. Its radical torque bias to the outside rear wheel is really meant for autocross and, on a big track, renders the RC more than a little “lively” (that should be read that it scared the pants off me in one lurid 200+ km/h slide).

The bottom line, though, is that the RC F represents the complete remake of a once-somnolent brand. Now the perfection Lexus is pursuing is performance.

Lexus Canada says RC Fs will go on sale in November with a price tag of around $80,000. Expect to pay at least $10,000 more for the Performance package.

Despite shared platform, Lexus’ RC coupe has its own personality
2015 Lexus RC 350.

Man, oh man, is Lexus getting some serious mileage out of one platform. The RC, as well as the IS and GS sedans, are all based on the same architecture. That said, in a marvel of specific engineering, the RC sees a melding of the GS’s front clip (for its wider track), the IS convertible’s centre section (for its increased stiffness) and IS sedan’s rear framework (for the RC’s attractive short rear overhand). The result is a coupe with a very distinct personality.

Oh, to be sure, the 3.5-litre V6 is familiar, but its 307 horsepower is stellar and its 277 pound-feet of torque more than adequate, while its noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) seems tamed in RC guise. Perhaps the more rigid chassis and a little extra sound deadening has worked some magic but whatever the case, the V6 feels more refined in the RC than it does in either the GS or IS.

The RC, like the IS, is available in both front-wheel and rear-wheel drive guises, the F Sport rear driver getting the added benefit of agility-enhancing rear wheel while AWD-I models get the tractive abilities of an improved all-wheel-drive system. That said, the all-wheel-drive versions of the RC only get a six-speed automatic transmission, while the rear-drive F Sport model boasts the same eight-speed autobox as the RC F.

On the all-important safety side of the equation, there is the reassurance of eight air bags, the normal front, side and side curtain affairs supplemented by driver and passenger knee air bags. There are also enough electronic safety nannies under the Vehicle Dynamic Integrated Management system to save all but the most ham-handed of drivers.

More importantly, though it will be overshadowed performance-wise by the RC F, the 350 is a fine handling car in its own right. The suspension is far more compliant than the almost bone-jarring RC F, yet the steering remains light and responsive. No, it doesn’t stick to corners as tenaciously as the big V8, but the RC 350, especially in its rear-wheel-drive F Sport guise, is more than a match for the other sports coupes — yes, even the Germans — playing in this segment.

Starting at just over $50,000, it looks to be one of Lexus Canada’s biggest sellers.
Old 09-26-14, 05:32 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by obturator
^^i like this review.
I like it too. The only false information is price. For $69,000 you can have a loaded ISF. For $85,000, you can have the new RCF carbon class of car with the works.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-26-14 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-27-14, 04:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

he really likes it

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-27-14 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-27-14, 05:57 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
He doesn't know if it is better than the M4, but he stated it is better than the C63 and RS5.

He is a candid reviewer based on what I have seen in the past. Yeah, he really likes it--the detuned prototype vehicle. I can't wait to see the driver impressions and results with the production carbons.
Old 10-01-14, 09:13 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Was able to find the extended review for free on the internet (remember Drive+ requires paid subscription)

Matt Farrah/Smoking Tire extended review on Drive+

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26rokp_drive-plus-lexus-rc-f-matt-farah-hd2_auto
Old 10-01-14, 09:26 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexus RC F Rift virtual reality simulator experience featuring the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) - a view from the driver’s seat.

As part of the launch of the first-ever Lexus RC and RC F, Lexus developed a motion-controlled virtual experience—a first in the automotive industry—and released it as a beta during the 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in Monterey, CA.

Virtual reality is just one part of the culture of innovation at Lexus that touches everything from design and manufacturing, to racing and the customer experience.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread