RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Yaguchi Hints at "Continual Evolution" for RC F

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 05:09 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's all agree the new RCF is a road burner with plenty of power and torque. There is more than enough acceleration to overcome the majority of the rides on the road today.

It's a predatory vehicle that will make the majority of us smile as our blood boils.
Old 09-04-14, 06:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Guys, I've removed/edited a couple of posts with personal commentary. Let's keep this discussion on the vehicle and not the people posting in the thread please
Old 09-04-14, 06:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

All the gauges in your car have been built with marketing in mind. Look at your speedometer. Will your car ever go that fast? No way, not even my IS-F as much as I love driving it fast will top out the speedo. Look at your fuel gauge. Is it accurate? No, it is designed to indicate you are low on fuel long before you truly are so you won't run out of gas. Cadillac once designed and deployed a deadly accurate fuel gauge and the owners were constantly running out of gas because they were used to a different presentation. Redline? Another marketing tool. Redline is where the limiter is placed, as the engine won't exceed this number (except in the case of a manual where it is very possible to downshift to the wrong gear, release the clutch, and severely over-rev the engine, ask any 2ZZ Celica owner about this...).

Definition of REDLINE
: a recommended safety limit : the fastest, farthest, or highest point or degree considered safe; also : the red line which marks this point on a gauge.

So we are arguing semantics. I follow the first definition, you are following the second definition.

I look forward to the continual evolution of the RC-F and the F models from Lexus just as I waited for the subtle changes to the IS-F over the years. The improvements while small on the surface were staggering in terms of the car's performance. Many of us who bought the '08 models would love to do a full rear suspension and differential swap just for the incredible track performance difference of the '11 and later models. While the RC-F should come out much sharper focused than the IS-F did, I'm sure there are things Yaguchi wanted but could not get and will need actual buyers to justify the additional costs.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-04-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-04-14, 06:34 PM
Furge
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that the car hasn't even been released to the public yet, and Lexus is already saying 'it can and will be improved to generate more power' is quite alarming.
I think Lexus is realizing that the M4 is considerably faster and a better track car (read the Autoweek first drive review).
Lexus knows that, rightly or wrongly, reviews and stats matter A LOT, for a car like this. Let's face it, you buy the RC F to know you have the best in its class.

I love Lexus because they are reliable, luxury, and sometimes fun to drive cars. But I'm more than a little disappointed that it's about 0.6 seconds slower 0-60 than an M4. That is a very big difference.
Old 09-04-14, 07:48 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Furge
I love Lexus because they are reliable, luxury, and sometimes fun to drive cars. But I'm more than a little disappointed that it's about 0.6 seconds slower 0-60 than an M4. That is a very big difference.
Can't have it all. Just accept it is the best in 4 out of 5 areas. Trust me, there is no perfect car, just close enough.
Old 09-04-14, 10:28 PM
Furge
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. But it's not revolutionary in any way over the IS F. And that's just wrong. Lexus has had many years to come up with a better car. The IS F was/is great. No reason to get the RC F, unless you prefer the look.

Lexus needs to bring their A Game to the party. The M4 will mop the floor with it. 0-60 in 4.4. is not 2015 world class anything.

(Note that I love Lexus, and would be very reluctant to buy a BMW. I was just hoping Lexus would give me a more competitive product so that the M4 wouldn't look so appealing.)
Old 09-04-14, 11:06 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "4.4" is an estimate by Lexus. Every 'review' quotes the same time. None have verified it.
Old 09-04-14, 11:08 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
The "4.4" is an estimate by Lexus. Every 'review' quotes the same time. None have verified it.
A couple reviews said they did 4.5s.
Old 09-04-14, 11:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
A couple reviews said they did 4.5s.
Where? No one has tested the car with instruments. All of them are putting official 0 - 60 mph in 4.4 seconds or 0 - 100 km/h in 4.5 seconds as the time in the stats. Sometimes in Europe they use 0 - 60 mph and 0 - 100 km/h interchangeably, but they are 2 mph apart from each other.

In German tests, the IS-F was doing 0 - 100 km/h in 5.x seconds so I don't put much stock in European tests.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-04-14 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 11:26 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Where? No one has tested the car with instruments. All of them are putting official 0 - 60 mph in 4.4 seconds or 0 - 100 km/h in 4.5 seconds as the time in the stats. Sometimes in Europe they use 0 - 60 mph and 0 - 100 km/h interchangeably, but they are 2 mph apart from each other.

In German tests, the IS-F was doing 0 - 100 km/h in 5.x seconds so I don't put much stock in European tests.
Motortrend for one... "Lexus says that the RC F will hit 60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Our testing revealed that the car needs 4.5 seconds".

I'll leave the other ones to find as an exercise for you.
Old 09-04-14, 11:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Motortrend for one... "Lexus says that the RC F will hit 60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Our testing revealed that the car needs 4.5 seconds".

I'll leave the other ones to find as an exercise for you.
Just finished reading it in the other thread. Definitely, the prototype was not broken in properly or something. They say the prototype ECUs have been updated since then. The time is the same they got from the IS-F except the trap speed is 1 mph less for the RC-F.
Old 09-04-14, 11:52 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
I don't know how to calculate piston speed but I think 8000 rpm from the RC-F motor is probably not ideal. If it indeed has the same bore and stroke as the ISF, since they use the same engine code and all; that would make actual piston speed way too fast. That will greatly decreases the reliability for a street car. I think Lobuxracer talked about this on the ISF forums.

This is where Titanium comes in.