RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Official UK stats for the RC-F

Old 08-17-14, 10:16 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Not as well as the Germans but Lexus have shown that they dont really care for sales too much. They want quality, reliability and exclusivity which are its main selling points. Now we can add power and styling to the list!

Just for comparison, a BMW M4 DCT - £59,135
  • Aluminium trim - £300!!!
  • Active security pack - £855
  • M-head up display - £825
  • Harmon Kardon - £675
  • Front Armrest - £140
  • LED headlights - £1600
  • Comfort Access - £495
  • Reversing Camera - £330

Total Price - £64,355.

An RC-F with metallic paint and ML + TVD would be £65,120. Its slightly more than the M4, but of course is better quality, has more tech and has amazing details like the seats and the speedo. Also, who wants to bet that Lexus will give a greater discount?!
Problem is you still don't get any of the CF parts - (Roof, trunk, drive shaft, front strut bar) that are standard on the M4 - at that price on the RCF.

Also M4 has more advanced I-Drive system, bigger Nav and one of the best HUD in the industry.

I like the RCF, but i cant deny the M4 is a better value at this point.
Old 08-17-14, 11:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Definitely disappointing #s and pricing is higher than M4.
When did Lexus start charging for Metallic Paint?????

The F brand has no following or much of an existing customer base.
//M, AMG have generations of cars plus loyal enthusiasts worldwide, its a very tough proposition for Lexus to win those customers over if the F cars continue to be higher priced and offer less performance.

Badge equity and aftermarket support play a huge part for this niche of cars....
There is some confusion it seems since these are UK prices. Lexus gets charged extra customs due to being built in Japan in EU - 10% on the top of the base price.

Nevertheless, price of M4 with DCT and RC-F base are about the same as BMW charges $5k for DCT in the UK.... base RC-F does have a lot more features than M4. Only if you spec RC-F with carbon fiber you get to the same level of M4 pricing.

As to what each have and dont, I think V8 is pretty big bullet point for RC-F.
Old 08-17-14, 12:29 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
There is some confusion it seems since these are UK prices. Lexus gets charged extra customs due to being built in Japan in EU - 10% on the top of the base price.

Nevertheless, price of M4 with DCT and RC-F base are about the same as BMW charges $5k for DCT in the UK.... base RC-F does have a lot more features than M4. Only if you spec RC-F with carbon fiber you get to the same level of M4 pricing.

I have had far too many problems with BMW's inline 6-cylinder engine..Never again. They simply are not going to react well to being pushed the way we push the F cars.

Honestly, the RCF is in a class of its own by comparison. The M4 is an attempt to perpetuate the BMW M tradition but it is missing the aspirated engine, which makes for a totally unique driver's experience.
Old 08-17-14, 02:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

Yeah, very good point. I was thinking the samething. People keep comparing a base price of a 6 speed manual M4 with an 8 speed auto RC-F.
Old 08-17-14, 09:37 PM
Furge
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I have had far too many problems with BMW's inline 6-cylinder engine..Never again. They simply are not going to react well to being pushed the way we push the F cars.

Honestly, the RCF is in a class of its own by comparison. The M4 is an attempt to perpetuate the BMW M tradition but it is missing the aspirated engine, which makes for a totally unique driver's experience.
Agreed. 100%
Just wish the rc F was a bit faster. Under 4 is what it takes to be world class at this price point, today.
That's actually a drawback of the NA engine- not enough low end torque vs a high strung turbo, so the 0-60 times don't be world class.
Old 08-18-14, 04:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Furge
Agreed. 100%
Just wish the rc F was a bit faster. Under 4 is what it takes to be world class at this price point, today.
That's actually a drawback of the NA engine- not enough low end torque vs a high strung turbo, so the 0-60 times don't be world class.
turbo has its own drawbacks. The top end on the M is lowsy, engine and exhaust sounds horrible like what happened to Formula 1. C&D got the SAME 0-60 time as the E90 M3 6MT when they tested a new M3 sedan with 6MT despite it having much more torque and being lighter. Main problem with the E90 was the V8 was too small so it made weak low end torque but great high end power. Car shouldve been a 4.4 liter like the racing Z4 is.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-18-14 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-18-14, 07:22 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Problem is you still don't get any of the CF parts - (Roof, trunk, drive shaft, front strut bar) that are standard on the M4 - at that price on the RCF.

Also M4 has more advanced I-Drive system, bigger Nav and one of the best HUD in the industry.

I like the RCF, but i cant deny the M4 is a better value at this point.
Ive tested the IDrive system. Personally I think its overrated. The Lexus system is simple and easy to use without masses of irrelevant information which I think is key in a vehicle system. It dreads me to think how long itd take to setup the M4 for the first time!

Also, who cares about the CF parts anyway? its just another bragging right, you can only see the CF roof! Oh and the ambient lighting in the RC-F looks uber cool!

Come to think of it, the M4 interior sucks, it looks like its from 2002 and the detail in the RC-F is far superior. Thats where the money goes.
Old 08-18-14, 07:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

RCFs carbon parts as an option package makes more sense. Some people dont care about it and would rather have more practical options. But BMW said thou shalt have it even if you dont want it. Even the TVD, if you dont plan to track at all its not useful. Only the more hardcore people would consider the CF parts and TVD package. The vette puts their eLSD in the Z51 package not in every vette. Most vettes dont even get near the track, the regular vette still has an LSD which is fine for 99% people out there.
Old 08-18-14, 04:21 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RCFs carbon parts as an option package makes more sense. Some people dont care about it and would rather have more practical options. But BMW said thou shalt have it even if you dont want it. Even the TVD, if you dont plan to track at all its not useful. Only the more hardcore people would consider the CF parts and TVD package. The vette puts their eLSD in the Z51 package not in every vette. Most vettes dont even get near the track, the regular vette still has an LSD which is fine for 99% people out there.
Well, I hear you, but I'll find use for the TVD on winding roads in PA and the occasional open stretch of curving highway.
Old 08-18-14, 09:46 PM
LexFather

For the billionth time

-Those that want a RC F will get it and are not looking at the M4
-Those that want a M4 will get it and are not looking at the RC F

That is the market. There will be minimal true cross shopping or conquest sales. Thus comparing pricing means hardly anything. People want to buy them both no matter the price.
Old 08-19-14, 05:28 AM
billdwong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
For the billionth time

Hi. I've been checking in on this forum periodically to see if anybody had any information. I actually signed up for the forum to reply here.

I am cross-shopping the RC F and M4.

I would like to know feature content, stats, driving reviews (including my own), and, yes, pricing.

When all is said in done I might buy one, I might lease the other, or I might very well do neither (who needs an executive coupe, anyways.. I really don't). But as of right now they're the top two (by a good margin) on my personal radar for scratching this particular itch.
Old 08-19-14, 05:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

welcome to the forum
Old 08-19-14, 05:41 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
For the billionth time

That is the market. There will be minimal true cross shopping or conquest sales. Thus comparing pricing means hardly anything. People want to buy them both no matter the price.
+1 was just about to post this. lol at people thinking a couple of grand on diff options matter that much one these 70k cars. they will choose which one they like.
Old 08-19-14, 12:41 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by billdwong
Hi. I've been checking in on this forum periodically to see if anybody had any information. I actually signed up for the forum to reply here.

I am cross-shopping the RC F and M4.

I would like to know feature content, stats, driving reviews (including my own), and, yes, pricing.

When all is said in done I might buy one, I might lease the other, or I might very well do neither (who needs an executive coupe, anyways.. I really don't). But as of right now they're the top two (by a good margin) on my personal radar for scratching this particular itch.

This.

Add me to the list of peeps cross shopping. There are others in this thread cross shopping.

I would say its not entirely true that buyers are not cross shopping. I have seen posters in the Bimmer forums considering the RC-F
Old 08-19-14, 04:34 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
+1 was just about to post this. lol at people thinking a couple of grand on diff options matter that much one these 70k cars. they will choose which one they like.
I believe the RCF with carbon and TVR will cross over to the 80s in price.

As stated, if you really want the RCF car and can find the coin, you are going to make a buy based on passion and not economy. Isn't that really how it works? There is clearly an exclusivity factor to be considered here, and it is intentional.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official UK stats for the RC-F