RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 09:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!

So it seems Lexus will be employing a variation of ASC - "Active Sound Control" in the RC F.

The system debuted last year in the 2014 IS300h.. And has since been added to a few other new Lexus Models. Including the new 2015 NX 200t F Sport.

Originally Posted by Lexus Engineers
The actual engine sound and the assisting sound that is synchronized with the engine speed are harmonized, transforming the cabin into a sound space filled with realistic sounds..
It's been said the system will engage in Sport + to give a throatier "in cabin" sound for the RC F.

Thoughts / Discuss...

Joe Z
Old 08-11-14, 09:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Assisting sound? I mean, come on Lexus! The car has a great sonorous N/A V8 that revs high. Just channel the actual sound and open it so that everyone can hear the glorious V8.

This sounds like the BMW gimmick they have been putting on every M car, but that is because the M turbo engines sound so *****ty now that BMW needs to resort to such gimmick with lawn mower sounds just to make them sound less atrocious.

No such issue with this Lexus. I hope I am wrong and the sound actually in cabin seems like a natural sound V8.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-11-14 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 10:59 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Stuff like that is really a gimmick. Is "ASC" thru the stereo, or via some sort of ISG (Intake Sound Generator) on the manifold (like McLaren uses). User can adjust the "level" piped into the cabin. Either way, I don't really want/need it. The McLaren system (which uses some sort if induction tube and diaphragm) needs replacing every 1 to 2 years at a cost of $600.
Old 08-11-14, 11:19 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Unnecessary weight and price added to a already heavy and expensive car. I rather do without it.
Old 08-12-14, 12:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

my question is WHY
Old 08-12-14, 09:21 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i've never experienced this first hand, but it does seem ARTIFICIAL

what i would really like is the ability to flip a switch and have active noise cancelling when I don't feel like hearing the engine, which wouldn't be often.
Old 08-12-14, 09:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LFA just had piping for the sound, it didnt have electronically amplified sound like the new M has through the audio system. For an NA car hopefully its not through the audio
Old 08-12-14, 09:53 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Assisting sound? I mean, come on Lexus! The car has a great sonorous N/A V8 that revs high. Just channel the actual sound and open it so that everyone can hear the glorious V8.

This sounds like the BMW gimmick they have been putting on every M car, but that is because the M turbo engines sound so *****ty now that BMW needs to resort to such gimmick with lawn mower sounds just to make them sound less atrocious.

No such issue with this Lexus. I hope I am wrong and the sound actually in cabin seems like a natural sound V8.
HOLD ON GUYS

Active Sound Control (ASC) is only to ENHANCE the auditory experience.

So, the engine note volume resonating through the cabin can be adjusted when/if the driver turns on the ASC.

It is selectable. I do not know how it is sourced, etc.

Trust me: we'll hear this V8!
Old 08-12-14, 09:56 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350S
Unnecessary weight and price added to a already heavy and expensive car. I rather do without it.
Does anyone here really know the impact the torque vectoring rear will have on acceleration versus the non-carbon model with the standard rear?

I conjecture that the carbon model with the new rear will be faster.
Old 08-12-14, 10:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what does the standard rear have? LSD?
Old 08-12-14, 10:07 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ASC thing is pretty shocking as the biggest compliment I hear for the ISF is definitely the exhaust/engine note.

But maybe it's not the same animal as the M's sound augmentation.
Old 08-12-14, 10:30 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
The ASC thing is pretty shocking as the biggest compliment I hear for the ISF is definitely the exhaust/engine note.

But maybe it's not the same animal as the M's sound augmentation.
From what I have heard, the driver can adjust the actual engine sound being piped to the cabin.
Old 08-12-14, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
From what I have heard, the driver can adjust the actual engine sound being piped to the cabin.
you sure it's just engine sound piping? from what joe quoted

Originally Posted by Lexus Engineers
The actual engine sound and the assisting sound that is synchronized with the engine speed are harmonized, transforming the cabin into a sound space filled with realistic sounds..
it seems like a secondary source of sound - assisting sound - on top of the actual engine sound. if it's the same sound, there is no reason why they have to "synchronize" them. if it's all engine sound and matter of how much to pipe into the cabin, i have no problem. but if it's "added" sound, then that's a very different story
Old 08-12-14, 11:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
LFA just had piping for the sound, it didnt have electronically amplified sound like the new M has through the audio system. For an NA car hopefully its not through the audio
LFA's surge tank and piping are just its natural V10 engine and exhaust sounds into the cabin all the time. However, this is completely different since the Lexus Engineer mentioned "assisting sound", which to me sounds like a synthesized sound to complement the natural frequencies only in sport+ mode. That is like the recorded sound gimmick BMW has been playing through speakers.
Old 08-12-14, 11:24 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you sure it's just engine sound piping? from what joe quoted

it seems like a secondary source of sound - assisting sound - on top of the actual engine sound. if it's the same sound, there is no reason why they have to "synchronize" them. if it's all engine sound and matter of how much to pipe into the cabin, i have no problem. but if it's "added" sound, then that's a very different story
Keep in mind the quote was for the upcoming NX F Sport...

Also, I found this for the NX describing the ASC with some more detail... Again for the NX

http://lexus.jp/models/nx/f/index.html

Originally Posted by Lexus Japan
The "Active Sound Control" which plays refreshing driving sound. It forms the sound which responds to the state of the engine and the transmission electrically. It outputs from the private speaker which is built in to the instrument panel. It makes strong sound the interior echo, stimulates the hearing of the driver.
We will have to wait to see how exactly "ASC" will be used in the RC F....

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!