RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 11:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
If it we're electronically induced, there would be a volume control. Is there a volume control to regulate the sound?
there is a volume button in the nx (see attached pic). i have to see on the rcf. at the lowest volume, the led light at the top of the switch is actually off, meaning the system is off. as volume increases, the led turns on, and i get louder and louer cabin sound

Originally Posted by Levi68
As long a it sounds good....the M3/M4 even with sound generator doesn't sound that good, for an M3/M4.
i assume you have heard that inside a m3/4 and/or m5/6? i haven't, but most i have talked to say it sounds very nice inside, just so fake
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!-img_5381.jpg  
Old 09-23-14, 01:37 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
there is a volume button in the nx (see attached pic). i have to see on the rcf. at the lowest volume, the led light at the top of the switch is actually off, meaning the system is off. as volume increases, the led turns on, and i get louder and louer cabin sound

i assume you have heard that inside a m3/4 and/or m5/6? i haven't, but most i have talked to say it sounds very nice inside, just so fake
In sounds good, not like a diesel, but bad for those that heard the M3 E9X and M5/M6 E6X.
Old 09-23-14, 01:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

NX ovviously needs it because its turbo. Another reason I dont like turbo cars, the sound is neutered. See Formula 1
Old 09-23-14, 03:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

considering how many people are interested in this, i went ahead and talked to lexus directly about the asc on different lexus models.

on the IS f sport, it's done mechanically on the intake. it's an added device solely for sound generation, according to the speed and pressure intake is sucking in air, the pulsation increases and thus the added engine sound.

the nx asc is fully electronic, tone changes according to the engine speed and rpm, and it's fed through a speaker. there is a switch to turn on/off and control the volume of the sound (as pictured)

the rcf will have the EXACT SAME system as the nx, an electronically controlled sound generator and the sound is fed through speaker. and the difference is that on the rcf, it's going to be activated in the sport+ mode (if i understand correctly) BUT there is NO switch at all, meaning it's non-adjustable.
Old 09-23-14, 03:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Levi68
In sounds good, not like a diesel, but bad for those that heard the M3 E9X and M5/M6 E6X.
that i have no argument at all, given i was a e93 m3 owner.
Old 09-23-14, 04:16 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
NX ovviously needs it because its turbo. Another reason I dont like turbo cars, the sound is neutered. See Formula 1
Turbo engines has been around for decades now. Sound has never been a problem before, now it suddenly is . Another thing is that people in general hates loud engine noises, especially women and luxury car owners. So why on earth do cars like Nx ( and Nx 300h ?? ) have this fake sound system is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Mr Bond; 09-23-14 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 04:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the ASC on NX is only on F Sport I believe.
Old 09-23-14, 04:31 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
considering how many people are interested in this, i went ahead and talked to lexus directly about the asc on different lexus models.

on the IS f sport, it's done mechanically on the intake. it's an added device solely for sound generation, according to the speed and pressure intake is sucking in air, the pulsation increases and thus the added engine sound.

the nx asc is fully electronic, tone changes according to the engine speed and rpm, and it's fed through a speaker. there is a switch to turn on/off and control the volume of the sound (as pictured)

the rcf will have the EXACT SAME system as the nx, an electronically controlled sound generator and the sound is fed through speaker. and the difference is that on the rcf, it's going to be activated in the sport+ mode (if i understand correctly) BUT there is NO switch at all, meaning it's non-adjustable.
The ASC is a 50:50 percent mix of intake and engine sounds with low, deep tones between 3,000 and 6,000 rpm. Above 6,000, the mix is with a higher pitched tone. All of these tones are actuated based on the natural sounds of the engine. This in effect is an amplification system with variable matched tone for all you audiophiles.

What we are not acknowledging is that it works brilliantly well based on the remarks of all the journalists who drove prototypes.
Old 09-23-14, 04:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Stop making stuff up....

The ASC in the RC F is speaker driven... PERIOD

The speaker is attached under the dashboard. (from an unnamed source) It will ENHANCE DRIVERS CABIN EXPERIENCE.

the ASC on NX is only on F Sport I believe.
ALL the 14/15' IS300 hybrid - found not in the USA
Which includes the ASC volume switch..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-21-15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 04:41 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

i still dont see how "electronic control unit" and "actuator" somehow means speaker. Something doesnt add up, either the press kit or the source is incorrect.
Old 09-23-14, 04:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Also for the record, the "Sound Creator" or "Sound Generator" on the intake pipes of the 13/14/15' GS350 (ALL) & 14/15' IS250 FSport & IS350 (ALL)...
or EVEN the LFA surge tanks..

...Have never been called or labeled as part of ASC or "Active Sound Control"..

FACT: All the Toyota / Lexus models with ASC function, are known to be via speaker..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-23-14, 04:47 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

i still dont see how "electronic control unit" and "actuator" somehow means speaker. Something doesnt add up, either the press kit or the source is incorrect.
See below in RED...

Originally Posted by 2015 Lexus RC F Press Kit

Active Sound Control

The sound blasting from the RC F’s quad stacked tailpipes is sure to turn heads and raise
pulse rates. Yet, Lexus also had to design the cabin to be quiet enough to enable enjoyment of the standard premium sound system or sonically stunning Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound system.

How could RC F drivers enjoy both? The answer is Active Sound Control (ASC), which lets the driver control enhanced exhaust, intake and mechanical sounds within the cabin. Specifically, Lexus sought to approximate the aural experience provided by the Lexus LFA, which issued some of the most stirring mechanical intake and exhaust notes of any supercar. Although LFA V10 engine revs to 9,000 rpm and RC F’s V8 to 7,200 rpm, the engineers have come close.

An electronic control unit mounted beneath the instrument panel takes input from engine sounds, including varying engine speed, vehicle speed and throttle position and generates augmented sound through an actuator. It is entirely separate from audio system, so there’s no reduction in music fidelity.

Most importantly is the driver controls ASC. It’s activated only in SPORT S+ mode, not Eco, Normal and SPORT S modes. And when it’s on, ASC blends with the natural intake and exhaust sounds to about a 50:50 ratio.

At engine speeds up to 3,000 rpm, ASC issues a steady tone of low and deep sounds. As revs rise, the tone transforms into a higher-pitched note that blends with the engine’s mechanical sounds, culminating in a free-soaring sound beyond 6,000 rpm.
Old 09-23-14, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Turbo engines has been around for decades now. Sound has never been a problem before, now it suddenly is . Another thing is that people in general hates loud engine noises, especially women and luxury car owners. So why on earth do cars like Nx ( and Nx 300h ?? ) have this fake sound system is a mystery to me.
i am not sure on 300h, but i think regular nx doesn't have it, only the f sport. and it's activated only in sport mode
Old 09-23-14, 04:53 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Same for the 14/15' IS300 hybrid - found not in the USA
Which includes the volume switch..

~ Joe Z
IS 300h non-F sport has ASC all over the world , trust me I drive one every day. The switch is clearly shown in the first picture ( enlarge it as much as possible and look to the right under the ventilation ).

http://media.toyota.co.uk/image_libr...013-current-2/
Old 09-23-14, 04:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ISF001
The ASC is a 50:50 percent mix of intake and engine sounds with low, deep tones between 3,000 and 6,000 rpm. Above 6,000, the mix is with a higher pitched tone. All of these tones are actuated based on the natural sounds of the engine. This in effect is an amplification system with variable matched tone for all you audiophiles.

What we are not acknowledging is that it works brilliantly well based on the remarks of all the journalists who drove prototypes.
i have to laugh a little here. when the m3/4 and m5/6 gets recorded engine tone that's amplified and played back inside the car, they were trashed everywhere for the whole stupid idea and the artificial addition. to which i agree and i am not a fan of the idea and execution at all.

the rcf is no difference here at all, period. all cars have intrinsic intake, engine, and exhaust sound. doesn't matter rcf or m3 or m5. it's just matter of enough or not. clearly not the case in m3 and m5 so additional sound were added. i don't know if it's "enough" in the rcf, but lexus decided to add it to the rcf in the sport+ mode. it's the same thing

i just personally don't see how this now becomes a praising point on the rcf

Quick Reply: Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!