RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 05:06 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes it is an Acuator that Generates faux sound .....

I will have more on the actual part soon...

~ Joe Z

It is 50% intake and 50% exhaust note...read the Lexus press release. Yes...the sounds are amplified in the S+ mode.

It generates "augmented sound.". I am interpreting this as amplification. It does refer to tone enhancements matched to frequencies.

Last edited by ISF001; 10-30-14 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 07:29 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ISF001
It is actually an actuator. The ASC blends with the natural intake and exhaust sounds to about a 50:50 ratio.

The make believe engine sound has been deployed by BMW in the M4.
Guess you will be even more surprised when you see the Lexus speaker driven box inside the dashboard... (100% confirmed)

Joe Z
Old 10-31-14, 07:46 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Guess you will be even more surprised when you see the Lexus speaker driven box inside the dashboard... (100% confirmed)

Joe Z
Not really...there has to be a speaker to amplify the sound.

I'm neutral on the ASC and personally believe it was not a necessary addition to the interior of the car, but in a world of tit-for-tat automotive marketing, Lexus decided to add the additional feature.

The engine makes plenty of rumble for my liking without the device.
Old 10-31-14, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

why would it matter if it's artificial or amplified sound? it's fake, period.

i absolutely agree that on the rcf, this is unnecessary move. the engine sounds so good already, and it's unnecessary added weight no matter how you look at it.

i just find it interesting how the fake sound on the m3/4/5/6 are bashed so badly (i think they deserve the bashing btw) and that on the rcf is defended. it's ok to accept an imperfect car. no car is perfect
Old 10-31-14, 12:43 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
why would it matter if it's artificial or amplified sound? it's fake, period.

i absolutely agree that on the rcf, this is unnecessary move. the engine sounds so good already, and it's unnecessary added weight no matter how you look at it.

i just find it interesting how the fake sound on the m3/4/5/6 are bashed so badly (i think they deserve the bashing btw) and that on the rcf is defended. it's ok to accept an imperfect car. no car is perfect
The M4 needs it...the RCF doesn't. The BIG difference.
Old 10-31-14, 01:39 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing is that the sound generator in BMW doesn´t "add" as much sound as people think. The engine itself makes a pretty strange sound anyway. I would say that the sound generator in M5 does exactly the same thing as in RC-F, it increases the lower frequencies. Probably recorded from the engine in a lab enviroment or something.

Old 10-31-14, 01:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ISF001
The M4 needs it...the RCF doesn't. The BIG difference.
both cars don't need it, NO difference. the m4 doesn't NEED it to go faster, period. i never think a car needs to sound nice in order to go fast, my nsx never sounds good but it runs around a lot of cars.

and the bottom line is both cars have fake sound which are both unnecessary.

again, you can go on and on with your defense on the ASC because you have this car on order and you adore this car. but to me that's just illustrating the story on the other side
Old 10-31-14, 01:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
The thing is that the sound generator in BMW doesn´t "add" as much sound as people think. The engine itself makes a pretty strange sound anyway. I would say that the sound generator in M5 does exactly the same thing as in RC-F, it increases the lower frequencies. Probably recorded from the engine in a lab enviroment or something.
well the bashing is always louder from the other side right? people don't like it on bmw forums but i definitely see it bringing up every time here. i think that's normal though, it is what it is

to me it is not about how much sound it add, it's the notion itself that's discouraging. why do it when it doesn't make the car faster? i guess survey probably says more people like the "feel good" feeling inside the car with some fake engine sound. i personally care more about the actual driving part.

since i am impartial to either cars, to me i think any of these fake sound leave me bad taste. now if they actually go through all the intake design, surge tank resonance, and exhaust piping to create true sound (read lfa), that i praise
Old 10-31-14, 02:55 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Since I am impartial to either cars, to me i think any of these fake sound leave me bad taste. Now if they actually go through all the intake design, surge tank resonance, and exhaust piping to create true sound (read lfa), that I praise

Yeah no...

It for sure takes input from many variables and produces the sound through a speaker box..

The only good news is that its nothing prerecorded and played through the audio system.

The ASC on the RC F has its own Equalizer & Speaker Box

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-31-14 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 05:24 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Yeah no...

It for sure takes input from many variables and produces the sound through a speaker box..

The only good news is that its nothing prerecorded and played through the audio system.

Joe Z
Appreciate the insight.
Old 10-31-14, 06:50 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Yeah no...

Joe Z
It's good to hear, an advantage of the ASC compared to prerecorded systems might be more natural sounds when modifying the exhaust/etc?
Old 10-31-14, 08:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by eoph
It's good to hear, an advantage of the ASC compared to prerecorded systems might be more natural sounds when modifying the exhaust/etc?
Modifying I/H/E won't change the ASC output...

However I'm starting to think of a proper I/H/E setup will drown out the ASC..

Only time will tell..

Joe Z
Old 11-01-14, 02:51 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

In the BMW there is also nothing pre-recorded. While not necessary, nothing wrong with that, allows car to be silent or louder when you want.
Old 11-01-14, 10:13 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Screen Shot from the published Owners Manual..

More to come..

Joe Z

For the RC F, in Sport S+ the extra sound your hearing comes from the "Active Sound Control" speaker behind the glove box..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-04-15 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 02:29 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

i wonder if one can completely turn it off in S+ and experience the true noise
Drove an RC-F extensively yesterday, doing all kinds of tests. One of them was the artificial noises, leaving the intake flap open all the time and closed all the time. Both can be done in seconds, especially with a golf tee I brought for the tests (disconnecting the harness throws a code, although not a CEL on the dash. But better just plug the vacuum line). The expert salesman didn't notice any seat-of-the-pants losses with either option, FYI. Flap open makes the engine noise fully natural, since it starts gradual. Not an on/off switch at 3,600 rpm. But it's not that noticeable to most.

Now to my findings. We closed the flap in both sport+ expert and sport+ all-nannies off, AND in manual mode. And I can categorically tell you there was NO artificial sound coming from the cabin in those 2 'hard-core' modes. But none of us drove just in sport+ mode only (we were drifting, sliding, etc. on the car). I can also regretfully tell you why Lexus decided to put that crap on. And yes, I was sad to confirm that too. Engine doesn't sound nice at all by itself, unfortunately (had read that before). And I HATE intake noise; much rather hear mechanical music. But this engine makes none of that. We all agreed it was better to leave the flap on with the 'enhanced' intake noise. And decided the best setting is stock. Open all the time can be boomy and artificial with the slightest engine load at low rpm. If one of you want to test for that interior ASC alone, leave car in just sport+ mode, and just route for a moment the vacuum line going to the valve to the flap instead, and go for a drive. And report back to us how intrusive/loud it is.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-26-15 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!