RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Should the RC F Get a Stick Shift?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 07:39 AM
fkarassik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be offered. This will show that Lexus means business in the high performance arena
Old 07-21-14, 08:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so what does that mean for ferrari that doesnt offer MTs at all anymore, not committed contenders in their performance market? MT is for nostalgia now, considering how advanced these new transmissions are. Youre going to have to drive a neutered 6 speed manual in order for manufacturers to maintain mpg targets that an 8AT or DCT can meet. Who the heck would want to drive an 8MT?
Old 07-21-14, 04:49 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ I couldn't disagree with you more. It's up to Lexus management to offer one in a couple of appropriate models again or not.
Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
^^^^

Agreed. If the manual transmission is not unrefined for BMW M cars or Porsche 911s, why would it be so for Lexus?

There's nothing elegant or refined about grabbing a phallic shaped **** and slamming it into gear while hearing the engine sweat it out by grunting and squealing. In fact its disgusting in a very Freudian way. Very UN-Lexus.
Old 07-22-14, 10:54 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's give a graceful obituary for the manual transmission. It was great but it's dead and should be buried.
Old 07-22-14, 01:57 PM
hahmad
Driver School Candidate

I would definitely buy a manual transmission RC-F/RC-350. I agree that it's an older technology, but I concur with the sentiment that if you can get a stick in an M3, an S4, S5, 911, 1M and many other competitors of the RC it would be great to offer in the RC.

I completely understand the LF-A not having a traditional manual transmission but that's a supercar, the RC is definitely not comparable to Ferrari, high end Porsche's, and other cars that are purpose built to be sports cars.

It's not about faster 0-60 times or a traditional stick shift being archaic technology, it's about a more involved driving experience. Most people, no matter what sports car they buy aren't taking the car on the track or driving under conditions where a manual would adversely affect performance. Yeah, it's inconvenient in traffic and if that's the case you can opt for a non-manual transmission car. Nothing can substitute for a more engaged driving experience by getting a third pedal and a stick. Just my 2 cents.

A RC-F with a stick, even if produced in very low volume, would undoubtedly hold it's value more than a non-manual version of the car.

No one bought the IS250 in a stick because it wasn't as performance oriented as an IS350 or the IS-F. If either one of the two latter cars was offered with a traditional manual transmission, I'm certain that many people would have purchased it, held onto it longer, and have gotten more money for the car when it came time to sell.
Old 07-22-14, 02:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

bolt action rifle is a more involved experience, im still taking a semi auto rifle
Old 07-22-14, 03:20 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Everytime I hear the phrase "engaged driving experience" I throw up a little. Talk about clichè. :rollseyes
Old 07-22-14, 05:09 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

for engaged driving experience lets take out power steering, ABS, traction control too
Old 07-23-14, 07:28 AM
hahmad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Everytime I hear the phrase "engaged driving experience" I throw up a little. Talk about clichè. :rollseyes
Before this guy starts throwing up everywhere, let me make it easier.

I like driving a manual transmission

I like the RC-F

I think it would be great if the RC-F got a manual transmission.

Maybe some of you guys should just contact google and ask when you can purchase the self-driving car.
Old 07-23-14, 09:37 AM
LexFather

It will never happen. Why is this even a question? Ferrari and Lambo dropped them, the GT3 dropped them..it is the way of the world today....

Lets stop wishing for unicorns.....
Old 07-23-14, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by hahmad
Maybe some of you guys should just contact google and ask when you can purchase the self-driving car.
why would i want a stick, it would mean i couldn't text, take selfies, tweet, or watch netflix...
Old 07-23-14, 02:01 PM
Westash
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota / Lexus Please offer a third petal option
Old 07-23-14, 10:11 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
If you know how to drive a manual well, you should be able to do that before every corner even in daily driving without even thinking (of course, using heel-toe and rev-matches techniques).

I absolutely love doing it every day as I am approaching a corner while heel-toe'ing 4th -> 3rd -> 2nd etc. or need to merge or pass on the freeway dropping from 6th to 3rd in an instant. They become second nature without even thinking instantaneously. Maybe, I am guilty of being too much of a manual buff.

Unfortunately, 95% of the people who know to drive a manual, don't know these techniques. I see majority just downshifting and then slowly slipping the clutch out as the synchros are overloaded while bringing the revs up slowly (due to engine compression braking).
Hell and Toe is a harder skill, but rev matching, everyone who knows how to drive stick shift has to know that technique. And I'm with you, people know how to drive manual, will be able to do it with ease.
Old 07-23-14, 10:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBatman
There's nothing elegant or refined about grabbing a phallic shaped **** and slamming it into gear while hearing the engine sweat it out by grunting and squealing. In fact its disgusting in a very Freudian way. Very UN-Lexus.
Why stop there? Using your own analogy, there is nothing elegant about taking this big ugly round wheel mounted in the middle of the dash and whipping the wheel left and right rapidly on the race track. There is nothing elegant about it. There should be automatic steering in the same vein as the transmission.

p.s. I don't know what type of manual cars you have been driving (if at all), but I have driving a 6 speed manual for over 10 years and there is no squealing and grunting involved even in the coldest or the warmest weathers.
Old 07-23-14, 10:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

This thread is comedy from start to finish. First, it will never happen. Period. Toyota and manual are two things that don't go together and haven't for many years. Just look at the MkIV Supra numbers - the autos outsold the manuals by a ridiculous ratio despite the incredibly durable design of the V-160 (Getrag 233). In 2014, manuals don't sell.

Let's add to this - I have both the 6 speed Supra and the IS-F in my garage. I have over 150k miles on the Supra, and I can heel toe just fine. The F NEVER makes a mistake shifting. Ever. It's never tired, it's never slow, it's never distracted, it just shifts gears and rev matches better than any human ever could. Every single time. No one here can claim the same driving a manual. Oh, yeah, I learned to drive a manual in the barnyard when I was 6 years old. That was 48 years ago. I do have a little seat time with manuals.

Let's see any of you guys claiming "lt takes away from the driving experience" drop down a gear in mid-turn with the car approaching the limit of traction. I did this with ease in my IS-F in turn 11 at CMP. I would never, ever consider something so foolish with a clutch - I'd be spinning through the grass in a half second before I could move the shifter. So to me, all this hand wringing about "they have to do it to prove they are serious" makes as much sense as punching a hole through the nose so you can crank the engine over by hand. I'm sure there were similar debates when the electric starter made its debut, but even Harley Davidson dropped their kick starters after it was pretty clear no one (statistically) wanted them anymore. But I'll bet there are Harley forums for those who lament the loss of being able to start your bike with a leg stroke instead of pushing a button because "it adds to the riding experience."

Straight comedy. Join the 21 Century and depart that spinning plate in space where people fall off the edges. It's where the rest of us are.

Quick Reply: Should the RC F Get a Stick Shift?