2019 10th anniversary Matte gray paint care

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 06:43 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2019 10th anniversary Matte gray paint care

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2019 10th anniversary RC F. You know that it comes with the matte nebula gray paint. The paint care manual was a little bit over the top on the Do's and Dont's in caring for the paint. Lexus says dont wax or put any type of ceramic coating or any protectant on the car's paint. Irt even states that if it gets rain on it that you must wash the car immediately to reduce risk of any water spots. I love nice cars and I dont buy them to sit in a garage. I drive them :-)

I started doing research on what I could do to try to protect the paint. Wax was out of the question right away. I started looking up different types of ceramioc coats and the reviews of them. I wasn't finding anything that had great reviews tied with a matte finish. I was thinking about wrapping the car with clear PPF. I didn't want to go that full expense but is an option....maybe.

I remembered a guys youtube channel that I found a few years ago that has a kick butt detail shop and he does LOTS of high end very expensive cars (old and new). He had a new video pop up on youtube in where he was detailing a new RS6 and ceremaic coating the car & wheels. The wheels are where he got my attention. They were a slightly darker gray (than my nebula gray) matte finish. Larry, the owner of AMMO NYC retail shop showed in the video how his ceramic coat looked on the gray matte finished wheels. The color got just a little deeper. The matte finish was still there and looked great. I found a contact for Larry and sent him an email asking for input. He scheduled an appointment with me to call and discuss my paint.

I explained what the Lexus paint care manual said and that his detail video of the new RS6 winter wheels were matte gray. Larry gave me an explanation of what is said for matte finishes and what can be or cannot be done. He directed me to a detail video of an old purple mustang that had the hood painted in a nice matte gray finish. Larry went into full details of gloss vs matte finishes in the video and then demonstrated his own ceramic coat product on the hood. It turned out really nice!!! I sent Larry a couple of follow up questions regarding the specifics of time to leave the ceramic coat on for matt finish vs gloss.

I ordered his ceramic coat product and cant wait to do the whole car. I really wanted something for the wheels and calipers to make it easier to clean. I will post a few pictures after I treat the car. If anyone is interested...
Old 10-26-21, 07:07 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Very nice. Definitely, looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 10-26-21, 09:22 AM
Dribble
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome. I have the same vehicle.

I use Dr. Beasley and Chemical Guys products. Work very well.

Grab the Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer spray. Works amazing for the upkeep between washes (bugs, water spots etc).

The following users liked this post:
Louczar1 (10-26-21)
Old 10-26-21, 10:24 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dribble
Welcome. I have the same vehicle.

I use Dr. Beasley and Chemical Guys products. Work very well.

Grab the Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer spray. Works amazing for the upkeep between washes (bugs, water spots etc).
I read good stuff on their products too. AMMO product already ordered. We'll see how it does. Did you notice any deepening of the color with the Chemical guys stuff?
Old 10-26-21, 10:50 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Guys, photos please!
The following users liked this post:
Louczar1 (10-26-21)
Old 10-26-21, 11:17 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mcomer
Guys, photos please!
I just checked. Product has shipped. Need to wait until it gets here and use my neighbors lift. I'll take pics of that too. My neighbor bought the lot next to him (we are out in the country) and the lots in our neighborhood are all 1 acre. I got layed off in 2012 right when the neighbor had all the lumber delivered for his shop since he is a major car guy. I got pay for the next 6 months as a severence package and offered my carpentry services. I only talked to him once before that. He is a cop and most people shun him. We spent the next 4 weeks building his shop. Well, framed, roofed and enclosed it. He bought the lift 2 years later. He says I can use anytime I want since I helped him build the shop. His shop, lift and knowledge make him a popular guy with his friends. I've used it for my RC350 for the 60K maintenance, brake work and such.

It will be a huge help for doing the sides, taking all the wheels off at once and having the calipers higher to do them too.