RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

No Adjustable Dampers?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 09:40 PM
Furge
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Adjustable Dampers?!

I am seriously considering ordering the RC F, but what may be a deal-breaker is that it does not appear to have the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS).

This would be a huge omission, since it would imply a very stiff ride. This was one of the biggest complaints with the last gen IS F.

Why wouldn't Lexus include the AVS, so that you could switch between more highway comfort and then rock-solid track driving?
Old 04-06-14, 11:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Looks like you might be right. There are no adjustable shocks on the RC-F. Very surprised as to why Lexus would put it int he RC350 and not the RC-F?
Old 04-06-14, 11:21 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Maybe it's similar reasoning to the R8 V10 Plus not having adaptive dampers vs the normal V10.
Old 04-07-14, 04:45 AM
Furge
Rookie

I guess it makes for a lighter, simpler, more reliable track car… but I for one plan to daily drive the RC F, and the roads around my city (Toronto) are pretty bad.

Maybe there is still hope that Lexus will read posts like these and include it.

I also don't get why it likely will not have 4 wheel steering, when the RC F Sport will.
Lexus/Toyota have this funny obsession with package options and not allowing customers to fully spec out their cars. The Germans do it right here, and Lexus needs to get with the times.

If I want to spend $85K and get my F with 4 wheel steering, adjustable dampers, fog lights (another omission), etc., I should be able to!
Old 04-07-14, 05:04 AM
LexFather

It's not avs isn't it called something else? It's on the trackpad I thought?
Old 04-07-14, 05:37 AM
Furge
Rookie

On the RC and IS F sport AWD it's called AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension)… I wish it were something else, then maybe the F would have it…
Old 04-07-14, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Per Lexus..
http://www.lexus.com/concept/RCF/_pdf/RCF-2.pdf

Handling
The foundation for the vehicle’s mechanical grip is the highly rigid body with large cross-section
rocker panels and a very stiff front lower brace. Specialized Lexus manufacturing techniques are also
used, including body adhesives, laser-screw welding, laser brazing and multi-spot welding. Grip is further
enhanced through use of a wider tire and wheel assembly.

RC F has front and rear coil-spring independent suspension, with monotube gas-filled shock
absorbers and ball-jointed stabilizer bars. Unsprung weight is reduced by the adoption of three new 19-
inch diameter forged aluminum wheels which minimize tire/wheel assembly mass and maximize rigidity.
Torque Vectoring Differential
The RC F uses a Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD), a first in a Lexus, to increase driving
performance.
It has three operating modes:
 Standard for a balance of nimble performance and stability;
 Slalom for emphasis on nimble steering response; and
 Track to help with consistent stability, ensuring the vehicle stays on the intended corning line
as the driver applies more throttle.
http://www.lexus-int.com/news/new-le...rformance.html
he newly calibrated VDIM adds a vertical G-sensor for greater vehicle stability.

TORQUE VECTORING DIFFERENTIAL
The Lexus RC F uses the Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD), a world first for a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicle, for heightened driving enjoyment. It has three operating modes:

Standard: For a balance between nimble performance and stability
Slalom: For emphasis on nimble steering response
Track: For consistent, stable behavior, ensuring the vehicle stays on the intended cornering line as the driver accelerates
SUPERB HANDLING
As in the Lexus LFA supercar, an active rear wing is incorporated into the trunk lid to provide down force at speeds of more than 80 km/hr. The wing is a highlight of the RC F’s aerodynamic grip and stability package which also includes careful tuning of the flat underbody, the ducts at the rear of the front bumper and front fenders, and strategic placement of aero-stabilizing fins. The foundation for the vehicle’s mechanical grip is the high rigidity of the body, which also includes large cross-section rocker panels and a highly rigid front lower brace, as well as specialized Lexus manufacturing techniques such as body adhesives, laser-screw welding and multi-spot welding. Grip is further enhanced through use of a wider tire and wheel assembly.

The RC F has coil-spring independent suspension in the front and rear, with monotube gas shock absorbers and ball-jointed stabilizer bars. Unsprung weight is enhanced by the adoption of three grades of new 19-inch diameter forged aluminum wheels that minimize tire/wheel assembly mass and maximize rigidity.
Old 04-07-14, 01:36 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I was a little bummed at that too. But then what feature is activated in Sport+ where all four wheels light up? (@33sec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLR04FUFK1o#t=33
Old 04-07-14, 02:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Yeah, there is a possibility that the adjustable dampers feature has been rolled up into the TVD.
Old 04-07-14, 04:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Furge
I guess it makes for a lighter, simpler, more reliable track car… but I for one plan to daily drive the RC F, and the roads around my city (Toronto) are pretty bad.

Maybe there is still hope that Lexus will read posts like these and include it.

I also don't get why it likely will not have 4 wheel steering, when the RC F Sport will.
Lexus/Toyota have this funny obsession with package options and not allowing customers to fully spec out their cars. The Germans do it right here, and Lexus needs to get with the times.

If I want to spend $85K and get my F with 4 wheel steering, adjustable dampers, fog lights (another omission), etc., I should be able to!
well, with the RC-F, they probably wanted to focus better on performance of the car.

For DRS, chief engineer mentioned that they did not include it because they wanted car to be more fun... DRS would keep the back in check too much for this type of car and it is not something that can be disabled via switch.

Keep in mind DRS and AVS are not on LFA either and that this chassis is pretty supple unlike old IS-F's.

More is not always better.
Old 04-07-14, 05:29 PM
Furge
Rookie

True, spwolf, you're right. The LF-A was claimed to have a good on-road feel and not too harsh, yet be great on the track. So we can only hope the RC F will have similar suspension tuning.

BUT -- the LF-A was a crazy money-no-object super car.
And most of the world is going with adjustable dampers, including Lexus, to give their cars a 'split personality'.

I hope this omission will not be detrimental to the RC F.
Old 04-07-14, 07:48 PM
LexFather

RS-R can't wait to touch the car ...many of us will be modifying the suspension...I also am curious to see what Tom's comes up with...