Motortrend Interview: F vs. //M Engineers Responses

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 06:49 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
To that I will say at least they had good taste for that V12. Those are so rare
lol yeah those are hella rare i wont lie. there is one here on base and i was oh wow
Old 03-26-14, 11:25 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Typical Asian

Stay humble and dominate humbly
Old 03-27-14, 02:36 PM
LexFather

I honestly can't believe he name dropped a next generation M1 as the best driving car. Am I reading wrong?

Oh and notice the 911 was mentioned....
Old 03-27-14, 03:48 PM
Set50
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I honestly can't believe he name dropped a next generation M1 as the best driving car. Am I reading wrong?

Oh and notice the 911 was mentioned....
You aren't reading wrong, he just dodged the question entirely talking about the future

Perhaps some 911 inspiration injected into the RC-F?
Old 05-05-14, 11:26 AM
richng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tam350G
You aren't reading wrong, he just dodged the question entirely talking about the future

Perhaps some 911 inspiration injected into the RC-F?
2 different engineering philosophies. Perhaps the best is that the consumer will have a choice on how to spend their hard earn cash.
Old 05-27-14, 06:10 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biermann: That is a hard to answer question because I think we need to cut this in slices for segments, you know? But the best one would be the M1 successor -- if there were a successor.
I wonder what the interviewer's face looked like when this guy had the nerve to give the dumbest answer possible to this question.

What's the best car?

- A car that doesn't exist, but it's definitely a BMW.

Can't believe he answered like that. It's embarrassing to BMW. At least just name a model that is already produced and let the readers disagree. But to name a hypothetical BMW... it's just arrogance and stupidity beyond belief.

I actually respect the Lexus guy even more because he could have said the LFA just to be a company man. Big respect for him there.
Old 05-27-14, 06:58 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Agreed.

Originally Posted by jre002
I wonder what the interviewer's face looked like when this guy had the nerve to give the dumbest answer possible to this question.

What's the best car?

- A car that doesn't exist, but it's definitely a BMW.

Can't believe he answered like that. It's embarrassing to BMW. At least just name a model that is already produced and let the readers disagree. But to name a hypothetical BMW... it's just arrogance and stupidity beyond belief.

I actually respect the Lexus guy even more because he could have said the LFA just to be a company man. Big respect for him there
Old 05-27-14, 07:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

M is for Marketing as shown by the answers from each of these engineers. M engineer sounds like an apple salesman more than an engineer
Old 05-27-14, 09:02 AM
LexFather

It reminds me of the "making the band" skit where the guy is asked name the 5 hottest rappers out, and the guy names himself, who has never released a song let alone an album

Old 05-27-14, 05:40 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Biermann sounds like a business man who is just marketing the Bimmer blah blah blah while Yaguchi sounds like a real car enthusiast who just gives direct honest answers.

I really love the part where Yaguchi reply "No benchmark,... I want to create what I want"! That is what the BOSS says
Old 05-27-14, 05:53 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Talking about production based street legal race cars. Porsche 918, Nissan GTR, Lexus LFA, and Porsche 911 are on the top 10 list in the Nurburgring lap time.

Where is the Bimmer opps, the M3 GTS is on #66 lol and they claim the best car is M1 where it doesn't even exist.

http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-t...times-top-100/

Also, RC F is track proven in Fuji Speedway and nailed #2,3 and 5 position while again GTR is #1 according to the source https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...i-speedway.php
Old 05-28-14, 09:01 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Biermann: I need to understand more about the technology [Lexus] put into it. If [RC F] is just another IS F with a big engine, that would not make a competitor to an M3. I can only imagine that, for their customers, [5.0-liter V-8 and eight-speed automatic] is the right way to go. That would definitely not be the right way to go for our customers. We have kind of a race car engine -- the character of our engine is almost like a race car engine. Very precise, although it's a turbo, but it's very responsive and it revs up to 7600 rpm. Very sharp. And it's a car for the track.

What a jackass...an imperious moron that's drinking his own BMW Kool-Aid.

BMW knows now, after the RCF reveal, that they chose poorly with the engine selection, and I expect this to be reflected in the press that will follow once the RCF spec is out and sufficient miles have been driven by the media.
Old 05-28-14, 10:14 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

BMW seriously underestimated the backlash from hardcore BMW loyalists regarding the **** poor job they did on the engine. Most of their core audience who are the M fanatics are furious right now.

They saved billions of dollars in R&D by using a regular 3-series N55 as a base engine to derive this engine from, but did not know how badly it will hurt the M3 brand.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-28-14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-28-14, 09:22 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF001
Biermann: I need to understand more about the technology [Lexus] put into it. If [RC F] is just another IS F with a big engine, that would not make a competitor to an M3. I can only imagine that, for their customers, [5.0-liter V-8 and eight-speed automatic] is the right way to go. That would definitely not be the right way to go for our customers. We have kind of a race car engine -- the character of our engine is almost like a race car engine. Very precise, although it's a turbo, but it's very responsive and it revs up to 7600 rpm. Very sharp. And it's a car for the track
Every time I went into a BMW or Mercedes dealership to look at a car, as soon as they find out I drive a Lexus, this is almost exactly the type of B.S. they start spewing. Almost as if they want to shame me into buying a BMW or Merc.

I even remember when I was buying my GS years ago, when I was car shopping and noted that I could get a GS with navigation for less than the 5-Series, the BMW salesman said something like, "well people who drive BMWs are more focused on the driving experience than navigation." LOL. Then he asked me what if they get a Garmin and hardwire it into the car for me for free. I was like thanks, but no thanks and went back to Lexus and bought the GS.
Old 05-29-14, 09:51 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Hahaha, that worths a good laugh. I was shopping around like that before and I don't know why Benz and Bimmer dealership sale people tend to downgrade the Lexus brand somehow.

Originally Posted by jre002
Every time I went into a BMW or Mercedes dealership to look at a car, as soon as they find out I drive a Lexus, this is almost exactly the type of B.S. they start spewing. Almost as if they want to shame me into buying a BMW or Merc.

I even remember when I was buying my GS years ago, when I was car shopping and noted that I could get a GS with navigation for less than the 5-Series, the BMW salesman said something like, "well people who drive BMWs are more focused on the driving experience than navigation." LOL. Then he asked me what if they get a Garmin and hardwire it into the car for me for free. I was like thanks, but no thanks and went back to Lexus and bought the GS.

Quick Reply: Motortrend Interview: F vs. //M Engineers Responses