Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be an overlooked underdog.
Goto #6 post. competition orange

2015 Mustang GT 5.0
Old 01-10-14, 08:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I love all this analysis on weight lol - folks we DON'T have OFFICIAL SPECS yet on the M4 or RCF!

We all know the RCF will weigh a lil more bec it has a V8 and BMW had a mission of weight reduction on the M3/4.
I doubt it will be 500lbs more but 200-300lbs probably.
To me its not a dealbreaker.

If u want a light sports car - get a Lotus, Miata, FRS etc
Old 01-10-14, 10:12 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I love all this analysis on weight lol - folks we DON'T have OFFICIAL SPECS yet on the M4 or RCF!

We all know the RCF will weigh a lil more bec it has a V8 and BMW had a mission of weight reduction on the M3/4.
I doubt it will be 500lbs more but 200-300lbs probably.
To me its not a dealbreaker.

If u want a light sports car - get a Lotus, Miata, FRS etc
If it is the same or lighter than the ISF then it will all be good!
Old 01-10-14, 11:11 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
*Slowly raises hand*

It won't be mine, but my dad is in the market for a luxury sports car and I've put this one on his radar. He's ready to drop $100k cash (well, check) on any one of these luxury sports cars next year.

The RCF is nice because my dad writes checks for cars in full and drives them into the ground, and he's a pretty strong believer in japanese reliability. Although, he still has his eye on the likes of a 911 or an R8. That being said, reliability is huge for someone like him. He doesn't believe in leasing.

Unfortunately he doesn't like the front end of the RCF but he says it might grow on him and he'll have to test drive it.
Wait for the GSF. It won't be as busy as this model. The front end is looking better as time pass (to me). The rear is another story, I've seen a lot of bulging lights - I have never like them or get used to them.
Old 01-11-14, 08:12 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
That's actually technically not true, as the concept of "Lexus" or a premium offshoot of the company wasn't put into motion till the 80s.
Yes, but that concept had Toyota engineers and nearly 50 years of intellectual property as a starting point. It's not as if a bunch of automotive engineers decided to get a business loan, start their own company, and design cars from scratch. Some of the early Lexus models were first built on existing Toyota platforms (ES and SC). Also, Toyota had been building the Century model since 1967, so they already knew a thing or two about quality/luxury.

Up until recently (at Akio's request), resources within Lexus were shared with the parent company.
Exactly. This is why I made my original comment on the subject.

Now, it's become a more standalone branch with it's own design committees etc as Akio was keen for Lexus to develop it's own "personality" away from Toyota - hence why he put himself at the helm of Lexus development.
Yes, Lexus design/development has certainly split from Toyota since the early days, but it's not like they're financially independent. They're still a division of Toyota.

Still it's a remarkable achievement for the company to have achieved so much in such a short amount of time (Infiniti for example has almost zero brand presence outside of the US, and Acura is non-existent as well as all of it's models are sold as Hondas outside the US), although there's still a way to go with many people still stuck in the "it's German so it must be better camp" rather than analyzing each car on it's own merits.
I totally agree. By no means was I knocking the success of the Lexus brand over the last 25 years. My original point was that it's not an "apples to apples" comparison based on the amount of time the Lexus has been around vs. Audi or BMW.

Cheers..

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 01-11-14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-11-14, 08:29 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Would be a nice edition to my 2013 IS-F someday.
Old 01-11-14, 11:19 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I love how so many people talk about performance on here… You want performance, lightness, handling, balance? Go buy a Porsche or go buy a M4. Lots of BMW haters out there, but you gotta hand it to them, they're on their 5th generation M3/M4 (come on, it's really a M3)…they know what they're doing. Just lease one, so when it starts to break, you can ditch it…lol
Currently Lexus sedans outhandle and outsteer their respective BMW counterparts, you're only as good as your latest effort.

And as it stands right now, BMW's latest efforts are actually inferior to Lexus in terms of steering and balance. See : BMW 335i M-Sport vs IS350 F-Sport and 5 series M-Sport vs GS F-Sport.

BMW better be hoping and praying that the new M4 doesn't continue its current losing streak vs Lexus new products ie the RC-F.

For the past 1 year, BMW fanboys used to justify the poorer handling and chassis of the 3/5 series vs the IS/GS by saying : " But-but-but Lexus doesn't have the engine to do justice to their chassis!!!!"

Well now Lexus does in the form of the RC-F (and upcoming GS-F). Now that Lexus has a competitive powertrain, let's see if BMW's chassis development can match Lexus'.
Old 01-13-14, 05:04 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LMAOOOOO

so much for FRS AND BRZ puahahhahahahaha
Old 01-14-14, 03:49 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Odd how 2 door coupes end up heavier than their 4 door counterparts.....

If the RCF is indeed 3900lbs, that would make it heavier than the ISF, and even the GTR......am I the only one seeing something wrong with the picture? If only Toyota targeted the weight to be 3500-3600 lbs, I would consider it....

Originally Posted by yowps3
If it is the same or lighter than the ISF then it will all be good!
Old 01-14-14, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177

If the RCF is indeed 3900lbs, that would make it heavier than the ISF, and even the GTR......am I the only one seeing something wrong with the picture? If only Toyota targeted the weight to be 3500-3600 lbs, I would consider it....
problem with your thinking is that it is based on GS, not IS, plus it has a lot more performance oriented bits like bigger brakes, tires, and V8 engine. All of that adds weight, despite carbon roof.

Now, Lexus could have taken out luxury pieces and made it lighter, but since this is a GT car, not outright sports car, this is a correct choice.

Sure M5 was dissed for too heavy, but people forget that regular 5 also has "bad" handling, unlike GS that RC is based on, and another thing is that M5 still has 420+ lbs more than RC-F, in worst case scenario.
Old 01-14-14, 05:23 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spwolf
problem with your thinking is that it is based on GS, not IS, plus it has a lot more performance oriented bits like bigger brakes, tires, and V8 engine. All of that adds weight, despite carbon roof.

Now, Lexus could have taken out luxury pieces and made it lighter, but since this is a GT car, not outright sports car, this is a correct choice.

Sure M5 was dissed for too heavy, but people forget that regular 5 also has "bad" handling, unlike GS that RC is based on, and another thing is that M5 still has 420+ lbs more than RC-F, in worst case scenario.
GS's good handling in part comes from it being the lightest of it's rivals though. The RCF wouldn't need bigger brakes though if it didn't gain weight haha
Old 01-15-14, 07:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been waiting 7 years for a true performance coupe from Lexus. If pricing and content is to my liking I may place an order for a black coupe.. Hello all.. Its been a minute
Old 01-15-14, 09:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I've been waiting 7 years for a true performance coupe from Lexus. If pricing and content is to my liking I may place an order for a black coupe.. Hello all.. Its been a minute
Same here. We've been b1tching and complaining and lexus has finally answered.

And damn, where have you been DASHOCKER???
Old 01-15-14, 10:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177

same length as 2IS, RC is wider than the 3IS/GS which is wider than 2IS. ISF gained 200 lbs over the IS350. 3IS weighs 3700+ lbs already. The weight is unreasonable considering what the rest of the market is.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I was really hoping for the RC-F to be lighter as well, if Chevy can do it with the C7, and BMW with the M4 why can't Lexus? What does the RC have that makes it weigh 500lb more than, say, the M4?
there is no way the M4 will weigh anywhere near this 3300-3400lb figure, expect 3600 at least. How is an M4 is going to have the same weight as an LFA or C7 stingray?

Expecting this car to weigh less than the 3IS is really unrealistic especially after gaining a V8

C63 AMG - 3800 lbs
Audi RS5 - 4082 lbs

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-15-14 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 10:35 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Umm IS and GS are based on same chassis anyway.
The interior is straight IS with better seats and more leather, CF etc. Same as what M4 is relative to 3series.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The new RC-F... sign me up