RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs 2017 Camaro SS 1LE Lightning Lap

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 03:18 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry guys but the rc-f wasn't meant to be a track car. It handles well for a sport luxury car but it wasn't built for lap times. Now that Camaro will never ride like the rc-f..
Old 03-30-17, 03:48 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Well, assuming that I was worried about these stats I would have the following questions:

1) Where did you get the 9 second gap times? The only Lightning Lap I am aware of with these 2 cars is the one quoted above which shows a 1.8 second gap.

2) Who were the drivers? Were they both driven by different drivers? Was/were the driver(s) even professionals? Did they truly give it their best?

3) Did these times take place on the same track day under the same conditions?

I'm extremely skeptical of anything I read in a magazine or online when it pertains to our vehicles. It appears that there is a large group of "enthusiasts" that are only out to smear the RC F.
The time given above was about Camaro V6 with 1LE package. The Camaro SS 1LE lapped a 2:54.8. It was set on Lightning Lap 2016. The lap for the RC F was set in Lightning Lap 2015. The lap was 3:05.8. I know that there is year gap in the times. Same track. I have no idea if the drivers were the same or professional. I'm assuming the writers at C&D all drove the cars and they published the best one. The GS F was driven in 2016 and I don't think I'm wrong in saying that the RC F and GS F are near identical in performance.
Old 03-30-17, 04:16 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, I noticed that it was the V6 after I posted, which is why I snipped it.

I would prefer to hear from members who run at the track and who have ran against the Camaro versus times posted in a magazine. I don't track my RC F so I can't make a sure comment about the track capabilities of either car. But I do know that some cars are easier to drive to it's fullest potential than other cars.

At the end of the day it's still a Camaro and I still drive a Lexus.
Old 03-30-17, 04:49 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

Originally Posted by Davew77
Yeah, I noticed that it was the V6 after I posted, which is why I snipped it.

I would prefer to hear from members who run at the track and who have ran against the Camaro versus times posted in a magazine. I don't track my RC F so I can't make a sure comment about the track capabilities of either car. But I do know that some cars are easier to drive to it's fullest potential than other cars.

At the end of the day it's still a Camaro and I still drive a Lexus.
Completely agree.
Old 03-30-17, 04:59 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

1.8 seconds difference is not enough to spark my interest. You're talking a couple of bad lines, late throttle or even weather conditions in that case. Yes, the SS is a beast, but unless GMs quality has made huge strides from the 90s, I wouldn't go anywhere a Camaro. What sacrifices did GM make to get that time? I'm sure a lot of corners were cut. I'm a little older and value quality over anything else these days. My. Beretta GTZ pretty much self-destructed after 6 years. I think the RCF does pretty good job for what it is. It matches the last M3s time and that was the benchmark until a couple of years ago. Lexus build quality, V8 power, lots of tech, and reliability? I think Lexus did a great job blending luxury and sportiness.
Old 03-30-17, 05:28 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
1.8 seconds difference is not enough to spark my interest. You're talking a couple of bad lines, late throttle or even weather conditions in that case. Yes, the SS is a beast, but unless GMs quality has made huge strides from the 90s, I wouldn't go anywhere a Camaro. What sacrifices did GM make to get that time? I'm sure a lot of corners were cut. I'm a little older and value quality over anything else these days. My. Beretta GTZ pretty much self-destructed after 6 years. I think the RCF does pretty good job for what it is. It matches the last M3s time and that was the benchmark until a couple of years ago. Lexus build quality, V8 power, lots of tech, and reliability? I think Lexus did a great job blending luxury and sportiness.
That 1.8 seconds was the gap the V6 Camaro has on the RC F. In a straight line the V6 Camaro is way too slow to compete with the RC F. Camaro SS 1LE has 9 second gap.
Old 03-30-17, 05:52 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought that was clear in my post. sorry. Looking at the lightening lap results again, the SS 1LE also beats a R8 V10, LFA, 911 turbo and C63 black. I would without a doubt pick those cars over the SS. In 15-20 years, those cars will be classics and the SS not too much.
The following users liked this post:
Lexura1414 (03-30-17)
Old 03-31-17, 04:03 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by yooniverse
If you wanted a track car, you should of never bought the RCF.
I never bought an RC-F. That's why I have an IS-F :-)

My point is Lexus should come out with more options like BMW does.
Old 03-31-17, 05:55 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

It depends on the driver as well especially in lightning lap where they use non-pro drivers. With the same pro race car driver like Randy Pobst around a more technical and complex track like Laguna Seca, it is slower than all of those cars (except the C63 AMG Black Series). Also, there are many other variables involved such as, C&D said they left a few tenths out since they did not push the Lexus LFA very hard because it was a privately owned LFA by Roy Mallady etc.

p.s. Not to take away anything for the SS 1LE, since it is still a phenomenal performer for the price that punches way above its weight.

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
I thought that was clear in my post. sorry. Looking at the lightening lap results again, the SS 1LE also beats a R8 V10, LFA, 911 turbo and C63 black. I would without a doubt pick those cars over the SS. In 15-20 years, those cars will be classics and the SS not too much.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-31-17 at 06:46 AM.