RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Does the RC (F or otherwise) have the worst resale of any Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 10:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I think if the buyer feels good about the overall experience, including the price as "reasonable and something that won't break the Peggy Bank", then it is a good deal. Yes, one MIGHT be able to shave off a grand or two off the price, but the question then becomes how much extra time and effort is worth to the buyer? Also what is the likelihood​ of the buyer finding another one with the color/option combo at that same price and condition?

At the end of the day, one must realize that MOST vehicles out there mass produced are not investments and as such will loose value over the short time duration. Some will gain value if kept for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. This is rare. So as long as the buyer truly enjoys the car and puts a smile on the face, that's what really matters.

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Google is your friend.
"GT most commonly stands for Grand Touring or Gran Turismo. A vehicle given the GT designation by its manufacturer generally means the vehicle is high performance and, unlike a racecar, features an interior built for comfort."

For your reference: (Don't read below if you don't want to hear that you didn't get a good deal)

Another user, IMCHIA, paid 56k in Feb 2016 for a brand new '15 that had an MSRP of 72k.
[Translates to about 61k for something that has an MSRP of 79k, but it was a year ago and once again brand new.]
You can interpret that however you'd like.

Last edited by lexusrus; 03-21-17 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 04:42 AM
rberthelot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think MisterEun google search pretty sums up how i thought about the RCF. While I never had a chance to drive or sit in an ISF, Lexus will always be a contender and will get my time in a dealership as a result. For now, still having tons of fun. Really trying to stay away from mods for a long while.
Old 03-22-17, 05:23 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Normal, the ISF did same thing and so do most cars at such a price..my previous ISF sold for 72K new and bought 1.5 yrs later for 44K...AND I sold for almost 30K after adding 6 years and 100K miles.. WOW, that's good resale to me. Same as my wife's GS 350 fsport was 60k new and bought 3 yrs later with 35K miles for 32K... but then they don't continue to whither with time and sustain such market value for many more years to come as mileage is accumulated.. So with that being said if depreciation doesn't scare you buy new, but in all do respect no need to buy such a Lexus new when they offer better warranty used now, (6 years unlimited mileage) and reliability...
For example, one year later I purchased my RCF, w/TVD, ML, sunroof, sports package for $54K with 7k miles and was previously purchased for 79K...at some point you have to understand market and not play into the hype...with purchasing a car unless its some unlimited JEM or you cant live without its almost always a buyers market...just my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-17, 06:39 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by lexusrus
I think if the buyer feels good about the overall experience, including the price as "reasonable and something that won't break the Peggy Bank", then it is a good deal. Yes, one MIGHT be able to shave off a grand or two off the price, but the question then becomes how much extra time and effort is worth to the buyer? Also what is the likelihood​ of the buyer finding another one with the color/option combo at that same price and condition?

At the end of the day, one must realize that MOST vehicles out there mass produced are not investments and as such will loose value over the short time duration. Some will gain value if kept for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. This is rare. So as long as the buyer truly enjoys the car and puts a smile on the face, that's what really matters.
Agreed.
Just wanted to give him perspective IF he wanted it, hence the warning pre-text.
As for shaving a grand or two off the price, unless it takes more than 30 hours of haggling, I feel like it's always worth it. (Calculations based on $50/hr value of time)
Ending quote totally agree though. Smile and be happy.
Old 03-22-17, 02:09 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just KBB'd mine here in the state of CA. A 2015, Blue Mica, 17,000 miles, fully loaded minus TVD/Carbon was listed as $45,300 - $48,700 (excellent condition - trade in value). Private party value = $49,600'ish. Considering the low miles, that's ****ty.

I paid $69,000 new, so that's a $20k depreciation in less than 2 years..........wow, that's pretty ridiculous. Guess I'll need to hold onto this 3-5 years to hopefully get some money back out of it.
Old 03-22-17, 02:13 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
I just KBB'd mine here in the state of CA. A 2015, Blue Mica, 17,000 miles, fully loaded minus TVD/Carbon was listed as $45,300 - $48,700 (excellent condition - trade in value). Private party value = $49,600'ish. Considering the low miles, that's ****ty.

I paid $69,000 new, so that's a $20k depreciation in less than 2 years..........wow, that's pretty ridiculous. Guess I'll need to hold onto this 3-5 years to hopefully get some money back out of it.
yeah mine is listed the same.. I was offered $38K at trade and $44K at CarMax.

now here is the kicker. The dealer that offered the trade stated that $38K was the going Auction price. I have access to Manheim Auctions, there were 5 listed that day that all sold for north of $50K AT AUCTION. one even sold for $58K the lowest was a salvage title that sold for $43K

CarMax offered $44K yet they have 3 listed on their site priced between $54K and $58K
Old 03-22-17, 02:24 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I sold a vehicle to CarMax a while back for $20k and they sold it for $26k. So maybe they have a standard percentage of mark up. Maybe different locations would have offered different amounts? Maybe they also anticipate the RC F to sit there for a month or more too. IDK... Just sharing my one selling experience with them.
Old 03-22-17, 02:29 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
I sold a vehicle to CarMax a while back for $20k and they sold it for $26k. So maybe they have a standard percentage of mark up. Maybe different locations would have offered different amounts? Maybe they also anticipate the RC F to sit there for a month or more too. IDK... Just sharing my one selling experience with them.
co-worker said the same thing, he said he has sold 5 cars to CarMax and they always give him 1/2 between high trade and low retail. However my experience they offered me well below LOW trade. Yet they rated my car as EXCELLENT, and stated that only the top 3% of vehicle they review get that rating.

if that is true why was their offer below the LOW trade value?

my experience with them was not a positive one, and I made it known in their survey.
Old 03-22-17, 03:24 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

For your reference: (Don't read below if you don't want to hear that you didn't get a good deal)

Another user, IMCHIA, paid 56k in Feb 2016 for a brand new '15 that had an MSRP of 72k.
[Translates to about 61k for something that has an MSRP of 79k, but it was a year ago and once again brand new.]
You can interpret that however you'd like.
just because one guy found a unicorn doesnt make mine a bad deal. I shopped the whole US. I drove 500 miles to get my deal. With trade in, tax title and all I financed 61k and that included an additional 2 yrs of lexus cert warranty.
since am easy searxh in these threads verifies that ow milage 2015s are going for mid 50,000 and mine had exactly 1766 on to odometer With all packages including TVD and Carbon fiber and was LCert. I got a good deal not a one of a kind unicorn. But a pretty horse non the less.
I feel satisfied to have paid less than 60 for a nearly brand new car,79k stickwr car thats fully loaded with 4yrs cert. Adding 2 more yrs was a choice so as to have full warranty for the time of my loan.
Old 03-23-17, 02:15 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I understand your calculations. Some earn a lot more some a lot less. But there is one factor that no one can put a figure on. That is the thought of tough negotiation sessions back and forth at the dealer face to face. Some just can't even contemplating doing it. Let alone actually going into a dealership and do it. I can do it no problems bc in a my mind I know I have the upper hand. The car in question is a mass a mass production model and there was no shortage (actually a surplus). I got the money ready. The dealers has the cars ready (AND PAYING INTEREST IF HOLDING THE CARS TOO LONG PLUS GOT HIS CAPITAL TIED UP IN THE CARS INVENTORY. THE SOONER THE DEALER LETS GO THE CARS THE BETTER FOR THE DEALERSHIP. Especially true in high volume dealers experiencing a built up of inventory of a particular model). I make it clear to the dealer that a I am going to BUY TODAY IF THE PRICE MEETS MY TARGET for the SPECS of the car I wanted. So I do it all by email initially. Once I got a confirmation on the car's specs and price, then I show up to do the paperwork.
​​​​​​

It's all good. 😀😀👍😁

Originally Posted by rberthelot
Yeah, I think MisterEun google search pretty sums up how i thought about the RCF. While I never had a chance to drive or sit in an ISF, Lexus will always be a contender and will get my time in a dealership as a result. For now, still having tons of fun. Really trying to stay away from mods for a long while.

Agreed.
Just wanted to give him perspective IF he wanted it, hence the warning pre-text.
As for shaving a grand or two off the price, unless it takes more than 30 hours of haggling, I feel like it's always worth it. (Calculations based on $50/hr value of time)
Ending quote totally agree though. Smile and be happy.

Last edited by lexusrus; 03-23-17 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 04:40 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf123
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6736/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6275/overview/

also a lot of new generation 2016+ c63 amg s beginning to drop.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5778/overview/ 62k now and the msrp was 90k (more than an rc f). give it another year and it'll be probably low 50's just like the RC F.

i think it really is common just for these mass produced models to tank after a year or two.
You are way off on M4 pricing. The market for decently optioned, clean lower miles M4s in mid to upper $50ks.

Out of 297 used M3s on Cars.com, there are essentially 4 below $50k and only one that is $45k with a branded title, one for $49k with 44k miles and has been wrecked, one with 50k miles for $48.5 and a $49k with 56k miles.

Good luck buying the cheapest M4 you can find, those have probably been ragged out, need something (brakes, tires and etc.) and will nickel and dime you to death.
Old 03-23-17, 05:33 AM
dieseldogs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
explain to me how a 2 model year old Lexus loses almost 50% of it's value
Welcome to Lexus ownership. This is your first Lexus I assume? My current 2014 IS250 is valued at $19,800 for trade on a 2017 RC350. The 14 has right around 50k miles on it. MSRP was about $45k. The one we had before that was an 09 IS250 fully loaded (more option than the new one) we bought it in 2011 as a CPO with 17,000 miles for $20k. Traded it in for the 2014 with 78k miles got $16k for it. So had it for 3 years put 60k miles on it First two years are the absolute worst after that levels off a bit. Best bet if you don't want to lose your *** is to buy CPO. You get the same great Lexus treatment and even get a better warranty.

BTW talked to a dealer yesterday about a RC350 and he tried to upgrade me to a new leftover 2016 RC F with a MSRP of $74,549. He said they had a sale price of $58k and if I was serious he could probably get his manager to agree to 56k. Seemed like a good deal but it is for my wife and she insists on AWD. Oh well.
Old 03-23-17, 05:46 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseldogs
Welcome to Lexus ownership. This is your first Lexus I assume? My current 2014 IS250 is valued at $19,800 for trade on a 2017 RC350. The 14 has right around 50k miles on it. MSRP was about $45k. The one we had before that was an 09 IS250 fully loaded (more option than the new one) we bought it in 2011 as a CPO with 17,000 miles for $20k. Traded it in for the 2014 with 78k miles got $16k for it. So had it for 3 years put 60k miles on it First two years are the absolute worst after that levels off a bit. Best bet if you don't want to lose your *** is to buy CPO. You get the same great Lexus treatment and even get a better warranty.

BTW talked to a dealer yesterday about a RC350 and he tried to upgrade me to a new leftover 2016 RC F with a MSRP of $74,549. He said they had a sale price of $58k and if I was serious he could probably get his manager to agree to 56k. Seemed like a good deal but it is for my wife and she insists on AWD. Oh well.
Lexus used to have great resell value. Unfortunately, the new body styles that actually made me consider Lexus for the first time is not going over well with its base. The new Lexus face lift models have absolutely horrible resell.

My wife is in the business (F&I Manager at RR, Bentley, Aston Martin and Maserati) and my best buddy is a purchaser for several highline used lots. My buddy purchased a handful of the new body style IS and GS a while back at auction for a couple of the lots and they could not give the things away. They finally gave up and sent them off to auction hoping to get something back on them, but they took a huge bath at auction. The market dipped that drastically, that quickly.

Wife's lot also stocks used inventory, but they won't stock any used Lexus except maybe G and L Suvs as the cars have no market.
Old 03-23-17, 07:26 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GETKINETIC
just because one guy found a unicorn doesnt make mine a bad deal. I shopped the whole US. I drove 500 miles to get my deal. With trade in, tax title and all I financed 61k and that included an additional 2 yrs of lexus cert warranty.
since am easy searxh in these threads verifies that ow milage 2015s are going for mid 50,000 and mine had exactly 1766 on to odometer With all packages including TVD and Carbon fiber and was LCert. I got a good deal not a one of a kind unicorn. But a pretty horse non the less.
I feel satisfied to have paid less than 60 for a nearly brand new car,79k stickwr car thats fully loaded with 4yrs cert. Adding 2 more yrs was a choice so as to have full warranty for the time of my loan.
I disagree that IMCHIA's was a unicorn and I only said that you didn't get a good deal.
Didn't say you had a bad one, I would say just average.
For reference: it's not the same package as yours but for guidelines, see below:

Originally Posted by dieseldogs
If sales can use $56k as starting price (which it can since this March Lexus is doing 2k dealer rebate on RC-F's), I'm assuming you could haggle another couple grand if you know what you're doing.
For me, I deal with numbers all day and that's how I see/interpret things so just giving my $0.02.
Once again though, if you're happy that's what matters.
Old 03-24-17, 05:05 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm currently in the market for one, but the price is what's keeping me from buying.. Initially, I expected to spend around 58-60 for CPO, but the more I look the lower the price goes. Any assumptions on what the market will level out for ? (CPO with ~ 5-10K miles)

Quick Reply: Does the RC (F or otherwise) have the worst resale of any Lexus?