RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 06:57 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default TPMS Issue

I had new TPMS stems installed in my Volks when I received them last month. I went to the dealer and had them reprogram the system so that my new stems would register on my dash. (They charged me like $106 and didn't even have to remove the tires since I had the codes...)

Anyway, it seems that every other time I drive my car the pressures never register. All 4 tires show "---" instead of a pressure. This is after 25-30 miles of driving too. While other times they work fine. Example, yesterday they showed no pressure at any time. Today the pressures were showing within 1 minute of driving the car.

I'm about due for an oil change and will likely have the dealer look into it. I was just curious if anyone knew what the problem could be. I never had this issue with my previous TPMS. But I'm wondering if the dealer might have messed up the programming or something.

I know that the car is at least sensing them. Because when I drove the car after swapping the wheels and before the reprogramming I received a TPMS error light on the dash since the stems that were programmed into the car were out of range as the wheels are in my garage. So I'm thinking it's not a bad/weak signal from the new stems.
Old 03-19-17, 07:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^^One Hundred and Six Bucks As Miss Daisy would say "Highway Robbery!!!!" I have VDO sensors on my RCF wheels, programmed at Discount Tire. Took all of 5 minutes. And they work like they OEM ones did.

Lou
Old 03-19-17, 07:19 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

these TPMS came from your oem wheels? or did you buy diff ones?

i bought a diff set for my voilks. Discount tire does it for free. took about 4 mins. all registers correctly every time.
Old 03-19-17, 07:27 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

If you have Tech stream, knowing the code, it is 5 mins. job alright by yourself. OP said new TPMS, is it really brand new or new for the car(used one)?Tthe battery on the
sensor has definite life.
Old 03-19-17, 08:10 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Everything is brand new, not used. Rims, tires, TPMS stems, lug nuts...

I figured the dealer was a safe bet for programming. I knew I was over paying.
Old 03-19-17, 09:19 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

If you don't mind spending some $$, buy two things, TPMS reader and handy learning unit. You read the code and then learn it with something like quick set
connected to a PC. I really don't like Lexus has memory enough to store one set of TPMS ids. All other cars I had, Bimmer, Acura MDX, etc. did not have any
hassle switching tires/rims for seasonal change. They could store 2 sets of TPMS info. without a problem.
Old 03-20-17, 01:06 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
If you don't mind spending some $$, buy two things, TPMS reader and handy learning unit. You read the code and then learn it with something like quick set
connected to a PC. I really don't like Lexus has memory enough to store one set of TPMS ids. All other cars I had, Bimmer, Acura MDX, etc. did not have any
hassle switching tires/rims for seasonal change. They could store 2 sets of TPMS info. without a problem.
I like this idea. That way I don't have to pay every time I want to swap wheels, and I can do it at home. I have a $400 Amazon gift card coming sometime soon so I know what I'm going to use it on.

Amazon Amazon

I have never messed with TPMS before. Is that all I would need? (other than a pc/laptop of course)

I already have an appointment scheduled for Thursday at the dealer. I need an oil change and it's also time for my 30k mile service. I'm actually at 32k though. But I'm going to have them look at it too. Since I paid to have them do it, they can troubleshoot it. I don't believe it's the TPMS sensors themselves. Because why would all 4 fail at the same time instead of just 1?
Old 03-20-17, 04:20 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I've also been reading that with some cars the keyless entry fob and the TPMS sensors use the same receiver. My fob range is terrible. Sometimes I have to be within 10 feet of my car for it to work. A few times I even went to open the door and it didn't automatically unlock when I grasped the door handle like it usually does. It was acting like the fob wasn't near the car when I was in the exact same position as always and the fob was in my right front pocket like it always is. I had to try 2-3 times before it would unlock.

I wonder if the new sensor signals are just a little bit weaker than the old sensors and so sometimes the receiver doesn't pick them up since it might be failing? The "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver" to be exact. I'm going to have to discuss this with the dealer and potentially a warranty repair.

Last edited by Davew77; 03-20-17 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 05:31 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
I've also been reading that with some cars the keyless entry fob and the TPMS sensors use the same receiver. My fob range is terrible. Sometimes I have to be within 10 feet of my car for it to work. A few times I even went to open the door and it didn't automatically unlock when I grasped the door handle like it usually does. It was acting like the fob wasn't near the car when I was in the exact same position as always and the fob was in my right front pocket like it always is. I had to try 2-3 times before it would unlock.

I wonder if the new sensor signals are just a little bit weaker than the old sensors and so sometimes the receiver doesn't pick them up since it might be failing? The "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver" to be exact. I'm going to have to discuss this with the dealer and potentially a warranty repair.
Fob uses much higher frequency vs. TPMS uses lower frequency. I am pretty sure they don't share one receiver. TPMS has small bettery and flea power transmitter.
Even if the sensor is new off the shelf, it could be sitting on the shelf long. TPMS sensor only works when car is in motion. When car is parked sensor sleeps to save
battery which will last for only few years.
Old 03-20-17, 05:46 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Fob uses much higher frequency vs. TPMS uses lower frequency. I am pretty sure they don't share one receiver. TPMS has small bettery and flea power transmitter.
Even if the sensor is new off the shelf, it could be sitting on the shelf long. TPMS sensor only works when car is in motion. When car is parked sensor sleeps to save
battery which will last for only few years.
TPMS sensor battery life is reported to last 5-10 years while in use on vehicles for the newer types. 5 to 6 years for the older types. My 2010 RX350 still has the stock sensors. It would have to have been on the shelf for a long time to have drained before it was woken up. It's not the batteries.

Do a Google search. I've been reading for hours about people who had to have their Remote Control Door Lock Receiver replaced for these exact issues. Can you can tell me for a fact, not an assumption, that our cars have separate receivers for the TPMS and the key fob?
Old 03-20-17, 06:22 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

TPMS sensor battery life is reported to last 5-10 years while in use on vehicles for the newer types. 5 to 6 years for the older types. My 2010 RX350 still has the stock sensors. It would have to have been on the shelf for a long time to have drained before it was woken up. It's not the batteries.

Do a Google search. I've been reading for hours about people who had to have their Remote Control Door Lock Receiver replaced for these exact issues. Can you can tell me for a fact, not an assumption, that our cars have separate receivers for the TPMS and the key fob?
Any type of batteries depend on a lot on climate. I live up North in Alberta. Winter time temperatures can go down as low as -35 deg. C. If you include windchill it could be like 50C range. EVer saw a car frozen car battery? Slush inside when not fully charged. Any how, I never have a car more than 5 years old. Usually I trade in for new one
towards the end of factory warranty which is usually 4 years. TPMS frequencies are only two, 300Mhz or 400Mhz range. Fob frequencies can be as high as 1GHz(1000MHz).
Old 03-20-17, 06:36 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Any type of batteries depend on a lot on climate. I live up North in Alberta. Winter time temperatures can go down as low as -35 deg. C. If you include windchill it could be like 50C range. EVer saw a car frozen car battery? Slush inside when not fully charged. Any how, I never have a car more than 5 years old. Usually I trade in for new one
towards the end of factory warranty which is usually 4 years. TPMS frequencies are only two, 300Mhz or 400Mhz range. Fob frequencies can be as high as 1GHz(1000MHz).
Regardless. Some cars use one receiver. There are even TSBs out for replacing the receiver units I mentioned due to TPMS and fob issues.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfor...-problems.html
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...d.php?t=17887&
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....nection-Issues

Just because they are different frequencies doesn't mean a single receiver can't pick them up.
Old 03-23-17, 09:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Keyless entry and TPMS share a component responsible for signal reception in the RC F according to the factory service manual. It is identified in the documentation as U33.
Door control and tire pressure monitoring system receiver assembly
Receives the smart access system with push-button start code/wireless code sent from the electrical key transmitter sub-assembly and sends it to the certification ECU (smart key ECU assembly).
The following users liked this post:
Davew77 (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 01:00 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Keyless entry and TPMS share a component responsible for signal reception in the RC F according to the factory service manual. It is identified in the documentation as U33.
Thank you for this! I had a sneaking suspicion this was the case. From what I have read, I believe that mine has an issue and that's also why the fob range is diminished.

I went into the local Toyota dealership today for my 30k mile service. The technician said that he didn't want to waste my money on a diagnostic service as he was only trained on the Toyota vehicle software (he said Lexus is different). So I will need to take it to a Lexus dealer instead. At least he didn't waste my money...

Edit: But I intend to have them look at this for a warranty issue. I shouldn't have to pay to get a diagnosis on a potentially failing part covered by warranty. I'm going to stress my fob range. (the fob range has been an issue for months, but seems to be getting worse)

This TPMS issue didn't pop up as soon as I installed the new TPMS. It was a couple of weeks later. The TPMS are also from the dealer. I paid extra to get OEM TPMS from the dealer as I wanted to make sure everything was compatible.

Last edited by Davew77; 03-23-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 02:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Techstream is the same for all Lexus, Toyota, and Scion vehicles. I have the full legal version and subscription the same as any dealership tech. I don't know why a Toyota tech would shy away from it, all the necessary tools are there. But, whatever, yes, I would also pursue this as a warranty issue. It might just be a bad connection to U33.

Quick Reply: TPMS Issue