RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TVD vs Torsen HP loss??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 02:44 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TVD vs Torsen HP loss??

So.. the tvd option has the RCF dyno much much lower. Is that actually the case, or is that happening just on the dyno and not in real life? Like which car would win in from a roll? Saw an RCF vs RCF from a roll, and one whooped the other. Is that why?

Really need to know if there is a difference because I'm about to pick up a used one. The Torsen one has the grey interior, which I love. $2k cheaper too. Thanks!
Old 03-07-17, 06:16 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gFREAKy
So.. the tvd option has the RCF dyno much much lower. Is that actually the case, or is that happening just on the dyno and not in real life? Like which car would win in from a roll? Saw an RCF vs RCF from a roll, and one whooped the other. Is that why?

Really need to know if there is a difference because I'm about to pick up a used one. The Torsen one has the grey interior, which I love. $2k cheaper too. Thanks!
where you see the dyno results and what are the numbers?
Old 03-07-17, 07:32 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

in my experience (that i have only seen on the internet) were 2 rcf one torsen one TVD both cars on nitrous and the Torsen car was faster both had catbacks and gutted headers

off the bottle run

there wasnt a nos run but i know both owners. I would not buy a tvd car unless i wanted to track it.
Old 03-07-17, 09:13 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
where you see the dyno results and what are the numbers?
i saw joez talking about it on another forum, but it was only one post. Im at work so I don't really have time to find that stuff, but it's def real
Old 03-07-17, 09:14 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
in my experience (that i have only seen on the internet) were 2 rcf one torsen one TVD both cars on nitrous and the Torsen car was faster both had catbacks and gutted headers

off the bottle run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0isE_vPdc

there wasnt a nos run but i know both owners. I would not buy a tvd car unless i wanted to track it.
Thanks man appreciate it, that was the answer I was looking for.
Old 03-07-17, 10:26 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Thanks man appreciate it, that was the answer I was looking for.
that's pupos rcf spraying 250 shot. Who knows what else is done to it.

Unless its stock vs stock, it's not reliable comparision
Old 03-07-17, 12:08 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

here is my opinion for what its worth. please note, no offense to anyone with the TVD.

I was invited to come test drive the RC-F from lexus from a letter i got in the mail. apparently they wanted to buy my ISF.

Drove a fully equipped TVD carbon package. I was not happy with power delivery, feel, throttle response, etc especially compared to m ISF. i remember making a few bad reviews on it. Driving hard, it felt sluggish, heavy. I love new tech and i wanted the TVD. but i ended up not liking the car besides the interior, exterior, engine bay look. I later test drove one without the TVD, it felt much more responsive. I guess i like the car to be a bit violent, where the back end kicks out but corrects itself. it was much more crazy at the limit. from any type of roll, it goes and goes hard. thats when i had a different outlook on the rc-f. had to have one after that.

If you are coming from a diff car than the ISF, even TVD will feel good. But i guess having the ISF , i wanted something where i felt was an upgrade in speed and handling. even if it minute, i wanted something i know i can get a good base from.

TVD GS-F test drive and getting back into my rcf, the gsf felt very slow to me. I'm going to guess the TVD has something to do with it. i don't track my car, i just like having a fun street car. if the car feels slow, i will get bored fast.
Old 03-07-17, 12:09 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

http://kaizen-factor.com/tvd-or-not-...-the-question/
Old 03-07-17, 12:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

He says, both cars are without spray. Although, he did note the driver/passenger weigh more in the TVD RCF than the LSD RCF. Both cars have exhaust modifications on them.

that's pupos rcf spraying 250 shot. Who knows what else is done to it.

Unless its stock vs stock, it's not reliable comparision
Old 03-07-17, 12:46 PM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
here is my opinion for what its worth. please note, no offense to anyone with the TVD.

I was invited to come test drive the RC-F from lexus from a letter i got in the mail. apparently they wanted to buy my ISF.

Drove a fully equipped TVD carbon package. I was not happy with power delivery, feel, throttle response, etc especially compared to m ISF. i remember making a few bad reviews on it. Driving hard, it felt sluggish, heavy. I love new tech and i wanted the TVD. but i ended up not liking the car besides the interior, exterior, engine bay look. I later test drove one without the TVD, it felt much more responsive. I guess i like the car to be a bit violent, where the back end kicks out but corrects itself. it was much more crazy at the limit. from any type of roll, it goes and goes hard. thats when i had a different outlook on the rc-f. had to have one after that.

If you are coming from a diff car than the ISF, even TVD will feel good. But i guess having the ISF , i wanted something where i felt was an upgrade in speed and handling. even if it minute, i wanted something i know i can get a good base from.

TVD GS-F test drive and getting back into my rcf, the gsf felt very slow to me. I'm going to guess the TVD has something to do with it. i don't track my car, i just like having a fun street car. if the car feels slow, i will get bored fast.
Interesting... Maybe they should have given the reviewers the non TVD cars lol. Thank you for the response, that helped immensely
Old 03-07-17, 01:05 PM
tq745
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting... Maybe they should have given the reviewers the non TVD cars lol. Thank you for the response, that helped immensely
I believe the reviewers had the Torsen which is why most did not like the RC-F on the track. Torsen and TVD doesn't really matter if driving in a straight line. But on track you could definitely tell the difference as most GS-F reviewers praised it's handling ability.
Old 03-07-17, 01:18 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
He says, both cars are without spray. Although, he did note the driver/passenger weigh more in the TVD RCF than the LSD RCF. Both cars have exhaust modifications on them.

again, unless you are that person modded both cars, can't really say thats all the mods. Racers like to down play what they have so its not predictable by other racers.
Old 03-07-17, 01:25 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by tq745
I believe the reviewers had the Torsen which is why most did not like the RC-F on the track. Torsen and TVD doesn't really matter if driving in a straight line. But on track you could definitely tell the difference as most GS-F reviewers praised it's handling ability.
Car and Driver wrote an article which featured a direct comparison of the RC-F w/ Torsen LSD vs the RC-F w/ TVD.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...e-money-page-2

On the skidpad, the TVD equipped RC-F pulls an additional 0.03g. On the track, The RC-F w/ TVD had a higher average speed and a lower lap time than the RC-F w/ Torsen LSD.

The TVD does weigh an extra 67 pounds over the Torsen LSD so the additional curb weight of the RC-F w/ TVD might negatively impact its straight-line acceleration compared to the standard RC-F (if traction is not an issue).

I haven't seen a direct dyno-to-dyno comparison between the two models but it would be interesting if the TVD provides a noticeably different rwhp output compared to the Torsen LSD.
The following 2 users liked this post by redspencer:
BossMoss (03-08-17), LDEUX (03-08-17)
Old 03-07-17, 01:25 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

again, unless you are that person modded both cars, can't really say thats all the mods. Racers like to down play what they have so its not predictable by other racers.
This. I used to know guys who raced for cash. They'd even let off the throttle once they knew they'd won just so nobody knew how fast the cars really were. Actually, I know a guy here at work who does that at the local 1/8th mile strip with a custom Busa... I can't get him to tell me what it runs and he knows that I wouldn't be racing him.
Old 03-07-17, 02:14 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I haven't seen a real TVD vs Torsen match-up; not from a dig or roll. I would be interested in seeing this, but only if both cars were stock. We know what TVD offers on the track, but does it help put power down from 0? It does make sense that if TVD is part of drivetrain and adds to drivetrain loss, then the car would yield less rwhp. This is speculation of course. Then again, I would need to see dynos to agree fully. The TVD is only 41 lbs heavier than the torsen car and that's negligible.

Quick Reply: TVD vs Torsen HP loss??