RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Why did you choose the RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 08:48 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why did you choose the RCF?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried searching. I'm just curious on why you guys chose the RCF?
I'm in the market for a new car and the RCF is my top choice right now. But I can't ignore I can get a used GTR and also been playing with the idea of getting an S2K and modding that.
The reason I picked the RCF is
-lexus reliability
-NA V8
- Great mix of luxury and performance
It would be great to see your guys responses!
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-17, 09:20 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

The RC-F is the first import car I have ever owned, the first non-American brand.

1962 Corvette
1968 Thunderbird
1971 Mustang Mach I
1978 Trans Am
1999 Impala SS
2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS

These are all the sports type cars I have owned since I was 16, (the Corvette was dads, but I learned to drive on it). There are a dozen other vehicles in the list, including 8 motorcycles, but they aren't "sports cars" (several trucks and sedans and such).

When my Camaro was bought back under Lemon Law, I was considering a 2015 Corvette, but I could not wrap my head around another failed GM product, my 2010 Avalanche and 2012 Camaro were both Lemon law buy backs. And my Chrysler 300 was plagued with electrical issues.

from 2006 - 2017 my wife owned a 2007 Camry Hybrid, and while I went through 3 cars with major issues, her Camry never saw the dealer for anything other than oil changes.

I decided I was going to go with a Toyota, but I wanted a RWD car not a FWD, so that meant Lexus.. I was going to settle for a GS because I was not aware that Lexus made a coupe any longer, When I walked into the dealership and saw the RC-F on the show room floor, I was sold, nearly 500hp, all the goodies and close to the power a Corvette would have offered, around the same price, but Toyota Quality.

20,000 miles and 2 years later I am happy to say it was the right decision, I have 2 friends that bought Corvettes within a few months of my purchase of the RC-F and they are both plagued with issues and continuous dealer trips for repairs.

I absolutely love the car, but I do think the RC-F could be better is some areas:

lighter with more torque,
better ergonomics in the dash controls, the one thing I do not like about the vehicle is the slider HVAC temp controls, and the long reach to get to any of the tactile controls, being 6'1 260lbs my seat is in the full back position so it is a stretch to get to the dash controls.
the seat should be a bit lower,
and the telescoping steering wheel should come out another 2 inches. But these are issues because of my size, not really the car..

so for me it was Toyota/Lexus Quality and a RWD N/A V8, I'm not a fan of forced induction cars, Turbos and Superchargers just make things more complicated and present a stage for more issues and costly repairs.

Last edited by mjeds; 02-24-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-24-17, 09:28 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I really usually stick with Honda/Acura or Lexus/Toyota from a reliability stand point. I was thinking Honda Civic Type R but I really want something RWD which left me with the RCF. I plan to buy used and I would rather get a coupe. This will be a summer car as I drive a 2012 Camry in the winter. I just want to be absolutely sure when I buy my next vehicle. i have never had a vehicle this expensive and I'm finally financially able to do so in the upcoming months.
Old 02-24-17, 10:59 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Tough decision. Good position to be in.

No denying the GT-R. That is a beast. Really boils down to something's I've taken away (friend has GT-R.)

1. My daily driver. Need it to pamper me with the luxury part. Sometimes we just want to have nice things.
2. Exclusivity. See more of every car including the GT-R in my city. Rarely see an RCF.
3. The Car really is special. Makes you feel special when you drive. I totaled my first RCF. Then ran out an bought another one. A year out and I still enjoy it. Any chance to drive it like when I first got my license at 16!
4. Styling. Nothing like this on the road.
5. Seats are so badass looking and increably comfortable.
6. Fit and finish and Lexus attention to detail.
7. Last of the V8s! The sounds it makes. Can't replace the rumble.

Again GT-R would be great as a weekend car. The performance is unbelievable. But the interior is cheap, ride is harsh even in the most comfortable setting. My friend can't really stand long rides with it.

The RCF I feel is already too powerful for the street. Just a few seconds of mashing the pedal you could be in handcuffs.
Old 02-24-17, 11:14 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response! Yeah I'm in a little bit of a different situation as this won't be my daily,but what you said is what I see in the car. i love the looks and how exclusive it is. It definitely has road presence and so does the GTR. I most likely will end up with the RCF as I love the refinement that lexus has compared to the GTR.
Old 02-24-17, 11:52 AM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I, too, was considering a GTR until I test drove one. To me, the only thing I liked about it was the initial acceleration, which is so much fun. Everything else so bad. I was utterly disappointed as that had been a dream car since the R34.

I love my RCF. The complaints regarding initial torque and weight are certainly valued, but really irrelevant in real world driving on the streets. Sometimes I feel sorry for my car because I can't use it to its potential having to be behind people who think they are still driving carriages.

It's certainly the only car I've had that people go out of their way to compliment it or ask about it, and I've had just about every Japanese sports car at one time or another.
Old 02-24-17, 12:04 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

It's great to hear people that has had a lot of other cars but ended up with the RCF.
Old 02-24-17, 12:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Have you had the chance to drive the 981 Porsche Boxster/Cayman S or GTS?
Old 02-24-17, 12:48 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

I have not. I know Porsche is very reliable but the upkeep on those cars are very expensive unless you know more than I do about it.
Old 02-24-17, 12:48 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Others have already covered the bases for a lot of my reasons. But one reason I haven't seen yet is the car is a chick magnet. Being a single guy makes this important to me. The car has started so many conversations in the last year that I lost count. I get people who approach me almost daily to talk about my car (guys and girls both). A Porsche doesn't get attention like this.
Old 02-24-17, 12:51 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Haha i'm married so I'm not too worried about that.
Old 02-24-17, 01:01 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
Others have already covered the bases for a lot of my reasons. But one reason I haven't seen yet is the car is a chick magnet. Being a single guy makes this important to me. The car has started so many conversations in the last year that I lost count. I get people who approach me almost daily to talk about my car (guys and girls both). A Porsche doesn't get attention like this.
yeah I have to beat the gold diggers off with a stick..
Old 02-24-17, 01:15 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that. We all have our problems now don't we?
Old 02-24-17, 01:34 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
I'm sorry to hear that. We all have our problems now don't we?

Old 02-24-17, 02:07 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what some of you are smoking, but exclusive is the wrong word. The rcf is an unknown. There were sizable dealer incentives because of lackluster sales. The gtr is another class of car hitting six figures new with the nismo pushing 2 price tag next to a 991 turbo s. Rcf is a value leader compared to the amg and m models of the world. It's yet to prove itself and will take time. Maybe another generation. Maybe two.

The looks are crazy alien. It's got a thunderous na v8. It's built the Toyota way. If one can't grasp these things go as being really cool, then it's not the car for you.

Yall don't get it twisted. Porsche is the world's #1 aspirational automotive brand. 911 all day son.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose the RCF?