RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake dust bonding to wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 08:01 AM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Brake dust bonding to wheels

I have the 20 spoke polished wheels. For some time now, I have had brake dust bonding to the flat surfaces on the outer edge of the wheels. About 10 months ago, I took it back to the dealer and they had a regional rep come in to look at it. They replaced my original brake pads (brembo I assume) with the softer (quieter) pad. Brake dust still bonding to the wheel. I wash them every week, but soap and water will not remove the bonded particles. My detailer recommended Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. It works (with a lot of elbow grease), but the dust bonds again after a few weeks.

Have you guys seen this? I must not be alone on this.
Old 02-19-17, 09:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I have Ferodo DS2500 on the front and PM +800 on the back. I always wipe my brake dust off with an old sock every time I drive into the garage. Both pads are not known for low dust, but for high performance.

I also try to keep my wheels well waxed.

Lou
Old 02-20-17, 04:47 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

This is what I would do if I had that problem. Guessing at one point you left brake dust on the wheel too long and it formed a heavy abrasive layer. When whoever cleaned them, fine scratches were made in the finish. Once those scratches are there, it is really easy for the dust to cling to the surface. Thus the vicious cycle begins again.

Try this. It will be tedious due to the multi-spoke design...
Detail the wheels really well first like you normally would. Try using Sonax & a pressure washer.
Use iron-x and get rid of any imbedded brake dust in the paint.
You can even try to clay the wheel if you're patient enough. Just stay away from the tiny corners.
Rewash wheels.
Dry & let cool
Coat with a glass coating like Cquartz UK.

If you do this right your wheels will be so much easier to clean down the road.
Once all that is done, try using the armor-all brake dust repellant after a car wash. It works pretty good if applied correctly.
Good luck.

I'm in ATL too. We need to hook up one day.
Name is Ming btw.
The following users liked this post:
ISFPOWER (02-20-17)
Old 02-20-17, 08:19 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same wheels and brake dust problem. I had the wheels detailed which included a coating with Ceramic Pro 9H but the dust amount was so great it was still a daily build up problem.
Since I was not tracking the car anymore I changed to a low dust street usage pad, "Carbotech 1521". Now I only clean the wheels when I wash the
car. I give the wheels a quick spray of Sonax MultiStar Universal Cleaner (which is less expensive than wheel cleaner), a quick brush and rinse before washing the whole car.
Only downside to the Carbotech was that the brake pad sensor slot was the wrong shape and the sensor cables had to be tied back and not used.
Speedfreaks sold me the 1521 and they were looking for a solution that has the correct sensor slots, maybe Project Mu.
Old 02-20-17, 11:41 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

like Ming said, get iron x. the paste form. works GREAT on wheels with stuck on dust from years ago.
Old 02-20-17, 01:23 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmalm
I had the same wheels and brake dust problem. I had the wheels detailed which included a coating with Ceramic Pro 9H but the dust amount was so great it was still a daily build up problem.
Since I was not tracking the car anymore I changed to a low dust street usage pad, "Carbotech 1521". Now I only clean the wheels when I wash the
car. I give the wheels a quick spray of Sonax MultiStar Universal Cleaner (which is less expensive than wheel cleaner), a quick brush and rinse before washing the whole car.
Only downside to the Carbotech was that the brake pad sensor slot was the wrong shape and the sensor cables had to be tied back and not used.
Speedfreaks sold me the 1521 and they were looking for a solution that has the correct sensor slots, maybe Project Mu.
I've heard good things about Endless MX72 pads. AFAIK, the sensors work fine with them as well. I plan to try them out soon. I'm tired of the dust issues.

I also don't want to CQuartz my rims because I they are matte black. If I coat them they will no longer be matte.
Old 02-20-17, 08:35 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
I've heard good things about Endless MX72 pads. AFAIK, the sensors work fine with them as well. I plan to try them out soon. I'm tired of the dust issues.

I also don't want to CQuartz my rims because I they are matte black. If I coat them they will no longer be matte.
I use mx72 currently. They dust way less than oem.
The sensor clips fit perfectly. Just a lil pricey imo but once you get over that, it's a great all around pad.
On cold days they can squeak at 1st and stopping power is way less. But that's only for like the first mile or so.
Old 02-21-17, 01:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Iron-x rocks for getting the embedded dust out of the wheel's clearcoat
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post7818844
There is no way to prevent hot brake dust from melting into the coating on a wheel short of polishing the metal and leaving it bare (and prone to oxidation). If there is any paint/powdercoat/organic finish on a wheel and you get your brakes hot, there will be embedded brake dust because it is essentially hot metal cinders flying straight at the wheel's perimeter. Any finish sufficiently heat resistant to burning metal would destroy the wheel's integrity with the amount of heat it would take to fuse to the surface in the first place. There are LOTS of discussions about powdercoating wheels and ensuring they do not exceed 300F or the alloy will be compromised and the wheel could break in service. It is unrealistic to believe brake dust will be sufficiently cooled by the time it hits the wheel's surface.
Old 02-21-17, 03:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLHeel350
. My detailer recommended Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. It works (with a lot of elbow grease), but the dust bonds again after a few weeks.
Sonax Wheel cleaner plus works just as well as Iron-X as far as breaking down iron particle. You shouldn't have to use a lot of elbow grease. Let the product do the work and apply a 2nd time if you need to. You'll never be able to escape brake dust sticking to your wheels.
Old 02-22-17, 05:32 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Sonax works great (their alcantara cleaner is also great for our interior pieces...my wheel is full alcantara, so I use the stuff every other week on it). As Ming also stated, get the wheels C quartzed and that will eliminate the issue completely...just rinse them off.
Old 02-22-17, 12:52 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Sonax works great (their alcantara cleaner is also great for our interior pieces...my wheel is full alcantara, so I use the stuff every other week on it). As Ming also stated, get the wheels C quartzed and that will eliminate the issue completely...just rinse them off.
I didn't want to CQuartz my rims because they are matte. But after talking to my detailer today he said the sheen will be minimal and he recommends applying the CQuartz to them.

I said, "I wish I would have talked to you before I mounted them."

It appears that I have another project coming soon.
Old 02-22-17, 05:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

As Mingofish pointed out, try Armorall brake dust repellant. I was a skeptic until I evaluated it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...repellent.html