RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Real or Synthetic Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 09:08 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Real or Synthetic Oil....

I have called a number of Lexus dealers to see if they use real or synthetic oil when they do the oil change. Half said real and the other have say synthetic . How can that be? The reason I would like to know is if you need to add oil I am sure it is not smart to mix the 2 types. What really is the correct answer? Thanks...

Popular Reply

02-25-17, 05:04 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Am I supposed to use the twitter thing “@” to refer to another member?
@lobuxracer…….I’m sure in real life you are an awesome guy, however you have asked me to interpret your data and tell you what you’ve missed. Pardon me in advance if I offend you in any way or manner, but I will give you complete honesty.
Where do I begin? Blackstone…….this is a misguided lab, their equipment is old and outdated, they're making recommendations on misguided information, and in turn put out a lot of bad info and damage a lot of peoples engines…..lol…..They’re not even ISO 9001 which is a joke of a certification anyways. I personally don’t see them ever achieving ISO17025:2005, without changing ownership and spending $2-3mil. Ryan doesn’t care to certify his lab, well because all of his customers are on the retail/consumer end side. I apologize; none of you on these forums have any idea on how to interpret data, one bit. Until you understand the ASTM methods of testing procedures and have experience working with the manufacturers making the engines and testing their racing teams, you’ll be lost. Can’t publicy acknowledge affiliations at this time but some of you will catch the drift.
I’m assuming from the values I’ve seen you’re running the oe oil filter and air intake filter…….I could be wrong but the information was not provided, I will assume OE as such.
As an FYI, for you stump the dummies out there, yes it is possible to stump me but that’s because you’re lying. And please don’t urinate in the oil, we can tell through ICP you’re low on nutrients.
Lobuxracer, you’ve had elevated iron readings needlessly for YEARS. Part of that is the M1 formulation, in the past it wouldn’t protect in the high pressure areas on the engine, which is why in 2012 they changed the formulation to include a different additive package. Magnesium Sulfinate was used as an additive and it provides antiwear in extreme pressure areas and it boosts the TBN value by a decent amount. They what they did was drop the calcium carbonate/sulfinate additive pack and compensated with the magnesium sulfinate to stay below the sulfinated ash test. Zinc changed somewhat to a ZDTP ester, which provided some of the AW they were looking for in 2013. It’s still and was a good formula. It’s done fine but you’ve needlessly had fuel dilution the entire time you’ve owned this car. This is a reason blackstone is misguided, and partially why they’re not certified. The oil in your IS-F has been diluted by fuel not by sheer. Because the viscosity improvers in M1 are actually pretty good.
The insoluble’s have consistently been too high the entire time. In other words, the oil is carrying too much stuff, becomes worn and now actually becomes a third party wear agent.
This engine is extremely well built, props to Yamaha for developing the head and the clearances on them, and props to the guys at Toyota that made the rest. I remember when this engine was first being developed and ultimately lead to the collaboration on the LF-A,
Chromium – I don’t think your rings have ever fully seated. There’s not one trace of them in any of your tests, dating all the way to the begin. Would explain the fuel dilution from almost the beginning. If I had met you sooner, I would have told you to seat those rings, aggressively.
Iron- 35ppm, exceedingly high, not damage level or harmful, probably just some oil pump wear taking place, mostly fuel dilution related. Historically you have long term wear, and now that there are a lot of miles, there is probably some micro corrosion wear, the AF test, cannot be performed by Blackstone, you can even see on their website, they publicly state they test some things “at another facility” a.k.a. they call someone like us to do the real stuff.
The oil is not being filtered well, 35 is way too high, however not horrible considering 14,000 miles. I guess I’d be interested in your driving habits…..
Copper – M1 does a very good job mitigating strong acids causing issues, in the beginning you saw it elevated as it seated, mostly the heat exchangers dumping it. Good reading
Lead – there is no conforming lead in the composition of this engine. I did see it early on, probably from gasket making materials and or something used as an antiknock index additive in the fuel. Consistently been low, since there is no lead in this engine. Fine
Tin- interesting…...So there really shouldn’t be any tin, it’s not normally a bearing alloy until you get deep into the bearing, may indicate some long term wear. It’s likely related to the valvetrain somewhere and/or there is also a timing chain tensioner wearing, chain stretch likely also taking effect. Not Good and very concerning.
Nickel – wrist pins are taking a big beating, and needless fuel dilution is taking place. Nickel is a valve guide alloy in this engine. Not good, should be 0 and was for a while
Silver – Most likely the heat exchanger braze coming loose, i.e. the engine got hot, wasn’t running right or dirt ingress that took place or just the oil becoming abrasive from Post EGR fuels residuals.
Titanium – zero, would be used as a tracer in this engine, good.
Potassium – clean historically, never had coolant ingress, so likely contamination from sampling by the lab at some point during possession.
Boron – normal oil additive, completely depleted for this extended drain, would switch to M1 0W-20 EP unless you are racing or tracking your IS-F
Silicon – Elevated, likely dirt ingress…..some…..it’s also an alloy in the cyclinders and pistons. You need to get this under 10ppm, especially for the2UR
Sodium – additive in the oil and also dirt, not sure physically where you are at, but I would study the dirt in your area to get an idea of what it looks like ingested post burn, but it’s in the normal ranges. Only other place I can think of is from fuel tanks that were previously used for diesel and then they cleaned them and used them for gas.
Magnesium – additive from Infineum, please don’t ask how I know that.
Zinc, Phos – normal, tells you nothing looking at these values since you can’t see the active capability and there is no knowledge on the AW capability.
Barium – dye marker or grease trace, usually comes from the oil filter treads
Visc – too thin! The oil has historically been too thin. It is an SAE 30 right now only because it thickened itself back up. It’s far too thin; if you buy a 5W-30 do you want an SAE 30? If you want a 20, just go buy one, it’ll do better than this 30 has in staying in grade.
Oil did sheer and thin from post EGR fuel dilution, meaning residuals are causing problems in the engine, classic on these new modern engines where a lot of compromise has to be made.
Flash Point – 390….this is probably an open cup flash where they do it under a hood…..it is not an accurate test for today’s new fuels. Should be well above 400, this car has chronically had FD it’s entire life.
Fuel % - completely inaccurate, they are making calculations and not actually testing for this. Another machine blackstone does not have, GC. FD has likely been at 1%-2% the entire time. RED FLAG.
Antifreeze % - they’re doing water by crackle test……not accurate but I agree there probably isn’t coolant
Water PPM – crackle test? They’re not doing Karl Fischer. Their method is so inaccurate, I don’t know how much water you have in your engine or don’t have.
Insolubles – 0.3%?? <0.6%, what is wrong with those people. On a clean engine you should have 0-0.1%. You’ve never been there. Your air filter and oil filtration is hammering this oil. It’s not M1’s fault! This is a VVT engine with 4 cams, and many many valves. You’re tearing this engine up for no reason. Wasted $$$ on bad analysis, engine has long term wear damage in my opinion at this point.
You need to get a better oil filter, I recommend the WIX XP, I’ve tested the filter many times at work and I can tell you this filter is probably better than WIX knows it is.
TBN – it’s depleted, they say it’s strong? Ok the acid is probably in reasonable control, but with the fuel dilution you get varnish formation from fuel, it’s really hard to read. Most labs don’t do a good job of knowing it’s there. You need different tests at this point
Honestly, analytically if you accept this much wear, you can probably go to 18,000. The car isn’t in tune, never has been……… you’re beating the F--- out of your engine.
Also, I’d recommend changing out the plugs and coils and boots at this point. Check for chain stretch, switch your oil and filter. And get a new air filter in there or look at the CAI for leaks. M1 EP 0W-20 with WIX XP is my recommendation for what you want to do and this engine. This is why Lexus doesn't want people going 14k. I would seriously consider some introspecting and ask if you would be willing to accept maybe your science project is over and you move down to 10K..........And no I will not divulge for the people that have PMed, how I know the inner design of the 2UR-GSE.
Blackstone has royally misguided you unintentionally.
Old 02-15-17, 09:30 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

call the last place that did your oil change or who you bought the car from. if you are that worried, do a whole new oil change.
Old 02-15-17, 09:36 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

It is a brand new car so I have no idea if the oil in the car is real or synthetic. Would some dealers put in real oil and other synthetic. That does not seem normal. Seems to me all dealers would follow the same protocol.
Old 02-15-17, 09:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The RCF manual and Lexus HQ calls for REGULAR, non-synthethic oil. But on my latest oil change done by me, I used full Mobile ONE SYNTHETIC oil.

If you are truly worried, just change the oil and from this point on you will know for sure.

BTW, how does the SYNTHETIC BLEND oil sold all over the place work? They are a mix of REGULAR AND SYNTHETIC OIL, RIGHT? So, I don't think you can harm the engine by mixing the two types of oil? Anyone know for sure? Or have an opinion?

Originally Posted by woodranch
I have called a number of Lexus dealers to see if they use real or synthetic oil when they do the oil change. Half said real and the other have say synthetic . How can that be? The reason I would like to know is if you need to add oil I am sure it is not smart to mix the 2 types. What really is the correct answer? Thanks...
Old 02-15-17, 09:45 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Good point but if Lexus states regularly oil is used what reason would a dealer change to synthetic ? I will use regular but this baffles me...thanks again.
Old 02-15-17, 10:08 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

IDK. Certainly I'm not an engineer nor in any related automotive fields.

From what I've read in the initial brand new engine break in period, the REGULAR oil helps SEAT the RINGS on the pistons. I switched to FULL SYNTHETIC OIL at 15k miles. I think 15k miles is more than enough for initial break in.

On my last oil change at 10k miles, the Lexus dealer OVERFILLED BY MORE THAN LIKE 2 QUARTS. The oil dipstick was more than two inches ABOVE the TOP MARK!!! That Lexus dealer was a SMALL volume dealership and rarely see any FULL "F" cars. A lot of F Sport whatever, but no FULL "F"s. AFTER this episode, I decided to do my own oil changes.

I just think the benefits of FULL SYNTHETIC OIL out weigh any risks, if any. I think the only risk with FULL SYNTHETIC OIL is the additional COST. Since I'm switching to FULL SYNTHETIC OIL at so early in the engine's life cycle, the risk of FULL SYNTHETIC OIL "seeping" into areas previously "plugged up by sludge from REGULAR OIL" is minimized.

Mobile ONE SYNTHETIC OIL is used as INITIAL FILL in some of the world's high performance cars. Surely if there is any potential harm, this would have already surfaced.

Finally over the years I find synthetic oil makes the engine run quieter, smoother, and respond faster. Especially when the ambient temperature goes to either extremes. Maybe it is all psychological. LOL.

Good point but if Lexus states regularly oil is used what reason would a dealer change to synthetic ? I will use regular but this baffles me...thanks again.
Old 02-15-17, 10:25 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

It is safe to mix synthetic and non-synthetic oils, even according to Mobil One. So, OP, if you somehow need to add some oil to top off, you're safe with either one. But after your next oil change, make sure keep a quart extra of the same oil used.
My F is now on Motul 300V and I know she loves it! ����
Old 02-17-17, 02:42 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've read because people will think that if they use synthetic that they can go 10k miles without changing the oil. Lexus doesn't want people going 10k miles without a oil change.

Synthetic viscosity lasts longer, but all oil gets contaminated during use. The contamination is what causes the most damage. Oil that is only changed after 10k miles is going to have more contamination and therefore it's going to wear the engine more. So you can use synthetic if you want, but you should still stick to your 5k changing intervals. It's only going to increase the price of your oil changes. It's not going to provide much better protection than dino oil for 5k miles.

Family cruisers can get by on 10k oil change intervals with synthetic because they aren't being pushed to the limit a lot (usually).

This is what I've heard.
Old 02-18-17, 06:52 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oil Level Trick

Not entirely related, but on my previous LS460, I would use 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 and 1 quart of Royal Purple. This allowed a clear visual when checking the oil level.
Old 02-18-17, 07:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the main indicator that oil is past its useful life is the Total Base Number or TBN. You can get a TBN test when you send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. Ive done several 10k mile oil change analysis, all wear indicators are fine, some even below average and the TBN numbers were fine on 10k intervals with synthetic. Synthetic have more consistent viscosity on startup and cutting your oil change labor in half is the primary reason to use it. ISF forum has a blackstone analysis thread and they can go 10k, sometimes more easily because of the huge 10qt oil capacity of the ISF/RCF engines
Old 02-18-17, 08:09 AM
e2dag
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I think Engineering Explained has a good video on the subject.
The following 5 users liked this post by e2dag:
BossMoss (06-11-17), dannyho (12-19-17), MisterEun (02-26-17), Mrjackalop (12-13-17), Wilderman (12-11-23)
Old 02-18-17, 03:10 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

That's a good video.

But there are many factors to consider about how well your oil is protecting you. Such as are your miles city miles, highway miles, track miles... Is your car mostly in hot or cold weather... How much time passes between your oil changes... etc. You can rest assured that Lexus engineers know all about oil viscosity. They select the type, grade, amount, and mileage between changes that will provide the longest life for your engine at a reasonable cost to you. So long as you change your oil every 5k miles and/or 3 months then you engine will not fail due to a lack of viscosity before you get rid of it. That is unless the oil pump fails, your oil somehow drains, or you keep your car for 200K+ miles (that doesn't mean it will fail at 201k miles).

I wouldn't believe for a second that I know more about our engine than the people who designed it and put it through millions of miles of testing.

Now, if you track your car then you probably want synthetic oil. If you keep it on the street... It's your call and your money.

I'm not saying synthetic isn't better. I'm saying that it's not always necessary. If viscosity breakdown was going to be an issue in 5k miles then Lexus would have you use 0W-40 or something... i.e. they have already engineered the average breakdown in 5k miles.
Old 02-21-17, 01:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

"You should always go with whatever interval your manufacturer recommends because..."

Because his attorney won't let him say anything else.

I run synthetic in all my stuff. It works longer. I have data to back up my claims. I have run as long at 14k miles on a load of oil including road course track time, and I just recently had the valve covers off to perform the valve lash inspection. Everything looked just fine, and there is zero varnish - none at all - in the heads or valve covers (the most likely place to find varnish in any engine). Cam lobe wear looked perfectly normal. All my UOAs support longer OCIs. I run Mobil 1 in my NA platforms and Red Line in my turbo because Red Line is a Group V oil and turbos are especially hard on oil (IMHO turbos should have a separate oiling system). The results for my IS F are posted here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-uoa-here.html.

If anyone else has actual data, I'm happy to discuss. If you "feel" a certain thing is right or wrong, I won't waste my time reading it.
The following users liked this post:
phm14 (10-16-18)
Old 02-21-17, 02:25 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

That's some great info and I applaud you for doing it right and getting the oil analysis.

However, unless you intend to keep your car until it dies the point is really moot. Spotty service records will devalue the car. Going 15k miles between oil changes? I wouldn't touch it.

"But a moderator on our forum said it was okay to go 15k miles between oil changes so long as I was using Mobil 1 and he had lab reports to back it up."

Not following the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule is not recommended if you are on a lease or ever intend to sell your car at a dealer (you may be able to convince a private party). You personally "might" be able to use the lab results since you are in possession of the lab results and they were done on your specific car. But anyone else reading this thread is going to have a hard time getting full value for their car if they only change the oil 6 times in 100k miles and try to use your post as their evidence that the car is fine.

I'll keep using dino oil and changing at 5k intervals as per the manufacturer's recommendations. The effect that service records have on the value of your car is not a feeling, it's a fact.
Old 02-21-17, 04:44 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

the Lexus RC F 5.0L 8 -cyl Engine 2UR-GSE gets free service for first 20,000 miles or 2 year. 6month or 5000 mile oil changes required for warranty. Lexus sells BRAND quality and service not just a car.

The reason is "safety". They want to look at the car, not so much change the oil. High sump level of 9.8 qts is for cooling.

5w30 is recommended and synthetic is not restricted for use. 10w30 may be used but next oil change they want it back to 5w30. They are responding to most gearheads thinking higher vis is better. They don't want warranty engine failures from gummed up slow flow 20w50 racing oil. Especially when its run hard ( or why buy this heavy pig).
Sounds like marketing is trying to make the buyer feel special about the car, more than anything else and 10 qts of synthetic is higher service cost thus not requiring a synthetic 5w30. Note it also compensates for volatility if run very hard in that 6 months or 5000 miles.

Betting dealers are the ones pushing non synthetic because it costs them less and they get more Lexus corporate take since they get paid a flat rate anyways.

I test oil for a living.

Also, try this.....call a lexus service department, most of them become shocked when they hear the F is run on conventional and not 0W-20.

Quick Reply: Real or Synthetic Oil....