RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Moonroof Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 03:13 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Moonroof Question

Please be patient ,as I am new to Lexus and be sure I make the right decision. My dealer told me that most RC Fs that do not come with the performance package come with a moonroof. If you do not want a moonroof, that probably is a special order. Does that sound correct? Always scared of the moonroof because of rattles...or is that not an issue with this car. Thanks again,
Old 02-11-17, 03:18 PM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Please be patient ,as I am new to Lexus and be sure I make the right decision. My dealer told me that most RC Fs that do not come with the performance package come with a moonroof. If you do not want a moonroof, that probably is a special order. Does that sound correct? Always scared of the moonroof because of rattles...or is that not an issue with this car. Thanks again,
That's true most RC Fs that don't have the performance package will come with a moonroof. Its not really a special order. Some dealerships may have one with out both the performance package and without moonroof but it is rare.

I have a moonroof but haven't encountered any rattle yet.
Old 02-11-17, 03:19 PM
Dwight047
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

The dealer is correct - if you do not want a moonroof, it is going to be a special order. They are not building them without moonroofs even though it is an option. With that being said, I really would not worry about any sort of rattle. I'm not just saying this because I work for Lexus, but they truly do make an exceptional product and something like a "rattle" is a foreign concept to a Lexus. If you have time, I would say place an order without a moonroof anyways just because it will save you some money, but if you're in a hurry, do not fret about getting one with a moonroof.
Old 02-11-17, 03:36 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it!
Old 02-11-17, 03:41 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight047
The dealer is correct - if you do not want a moonroof, it is going to be a special order. They are not building them without moonroofs even though it is an option. With that being said, I really would not worry about any sort of rattle. I'm not just saying this because I work for Lexus, but they truly do make an exceptional product and something like a "rattle" is a foreign concept to a Lexus. If you have time, I would say place an order without a moonroof anyways just because it will save you some money, but if you're in a hurry, do not fret about getting one with a moonroof.
Hey Dwight, are the LX570s pretty much selling near MSRP in Socal?
Old 02-11-17, 03:49 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch

I have owned 3 previous Lexus vehicles all with the moonroof, and I never had any issues with rattles or leaks. Also true with numerous Toyotas that I have owned. I would have gotten one on my RC-F as well, but I wanted the performance package. Go for the moonroof.
Old 02-11-17, 03:53 PM
Sneakerboy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine doesn't have a moonroof or a carbon fiber roof but it still has TVD but that is not available anymore
Old 02-11-17, 04:38 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

True that.

I have moon roofs on all my Lexus vehicles. No problems. The last Lexus LX470 (2000 year model)with 280k+ miles when I traded in for a brand new LX570 back in 2013 had no problems.

I have faith in Lexus/Toyota products. No, I DO NOT work for Lexus/Toyota. Nor do I work for any related auto industry. I'm just a happy and satisfied customer.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
I have owned 3 previous Lexus vehicles all with the moonroof, and I never had any issues with rattles or leaks. Also true with numerous Toyotas that I have owned. I would have gotten one on my RC-F as well, but I wanted the performance package. Go for the moonroof.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-11-17)
Old 02-11-17, 05:38 PM
Dwight047
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Hey Dwight, are the LX570s pretty much selling near MSRP in Socal?
Not quite - we will discount roughly 4-5k depending on MSRP. There are about 8 dealerships within 100 miles so it makes it pretty much impossible to demand MSRP haha.
Old 02-11-17, 08:28 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had 7 Lexus cars including my RC-F, all with sunroof and never had any of them rattle or leak whatsoever
Old 02-12-17, 07:16 AM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had 2 rcfs no rattles noises coming from the sunroof
Old 02-13-17, 07:27 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

So is it a sunroof during the day and a moonroof during the night?...but what if it is a day where you see both the sun and the moon in the sky at the same time?...does it default to sunroof because it is during the day? haha

But just in case people needed the technical/exact definition...

"CARS.COM — There is a technical difference between a sunroof and a moonroof, but most everybody uses the terms interchangeably. First off, both are panels in the roof that let light or fresh air inside the cabin. Getting down to details, though: A sunroof is typically a solid body-colored panel that pops up or is removable. A moonroof is a type of sunroof, except that it’s a sliding glass panel. The majority of new cars have moonroofs, as what’s technically considered a sunroof has pretty much gone out of style."
Old 02-13-17, 12:17 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coincidentally I'm visiting the forum today to see if anyone had encountered rattle coming from the moonroof as mine is rattling like crazy. It is nonstop rattle while i'm driving and also immediately after startup. It started about 2 months ago. I've had the RC F since March of 2015 and it currently has 27,500 miles. I can't tell exactly where in the moonroof it is coming from but the rattle only goes away when I put it in "Tilt" position. I have only opened the moonroof a couple of times in the 2 years of ownership(don't like how it looks), I only use the tilt feature at times. I've owned 4 other Lexus vehicles in the last five years and never had this issue. Does anyone have any idea what I can do besides taking it into the dealer. I wouldn't want to take it in and have them take apart who knows what to find the rattle.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 02-13-17, 12:47 PM
garyw622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I special ordered my 2016 RC350F last year and was told not getting the sun roof wasn't an option.
Old 02-14-17, 09:53 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Reminds me of a GM product based on your description !!!????😁😁😁😀😀😀. LOL

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
Coincidentally I'm visiting the forum today to see if anyone had encountered rattle coming from the moonroof as mine is rattling like crazy. It is nonstop rattle while i'm driving and also immediately after startup. It started about 2 months ago. I've had the RC F since March of 2015 and it currently has 27,500 miles. I can't tell exactly where in the moonroof it is coming from but the rattle only goes away when I put it in "Tilt" position. I have only opened the moonroof a couple of times in the 2 years of ownership(don't like how it looks), I only use the tilt feature at times. I've owned 4 other Lexus vehicles in the last five years and never had this issue. Does anyone have any idea what I can do besides taking it into the dealer. I wouldn't want to take it in and have them take apart who knows what to find the rattle.

Thanks,
Ray