RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New Member Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 08:36 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Member Question

Good day to all, I am ready to pull the trigger on a 2017 loaded RC F. My big hesitation is all the negative reviews on the info system and how dated it is and hard to use( small screen and mouse pad). Can you please tell me your thoughts and views on this issue. Is really that much of a pain or are reviewers just coming up with something negative. Please be as honest as you can because I really dont want to make a mistake. Thank you in advance
Old 02-11-17, 08:41 AM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Good day to all, I am ready to pull the trigger on a 2017 loaded RC F. My big hesitation is all the negative reviews on the info system and how dated it is and hard to use( small screen and mouse pad). Can you please tell me your thoughts and views on this issue. Is really that much of a pain or are reviewers just coming up with something negative. Please be as honest as you can because I really dont want to make a mistake. Thank you in advance
I don't like the fact that the screen is so small but I didn't buy the car for the screen. You eventually get use to the mouse.
Old 02-11-17, 12:48 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't like the touchpad. I prefer the mouse-style thing that's in my rx350. But the touchpad is by no means a deal breaker. I've gotten used to it. The screen size never really bothered me.

Every car is going to have pros and cons. You have to decide what cons you can live with. I have no desire to trade in my RC F. But if they offered a new one with the old mouse and everything else being the same, then I might trade up.
Old 02-11-17, 12:57 PM
Dwight047
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

As an employee of Lexus Carlsbad, I have spent extensive time with the various systems and would agree completely with the reviews. It is tacky, hard to use, and can be frustrating. I personally like the joy-stick found in the IS to be much more user friendly. However, like stated above me, you do get used to it, learn to make due, and realize that the rest of the car is so fantastic that this can be overlooked. I have never sold an RC-F to anyone who didn't come back 6 months later absolutely ecstatic with the vehicle.

I will say this though: in case you haven't seen, the new 2017 IS did receive an update to the Nav system (screen got a couple inches bigger, and is more user friendly). This change will most likely come to the 2018 RC. This is not confirmed by Lexus but the RC does follow suit with the IS in a lot of areas. If not by 2018, it'll be by 2019 for sure. If you can wait a year or two, this might be a nice thought for you.
Attached Thumbnails New Member Question-16-09-12-lexus-is-new-screen.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-12-17)
Old 02-11-17, 02:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would much prefer the joystick setup as in my RX450h and CT200h. Or even the touch screen setup as in my LX570, but in the RCF the screen is so far out front and out of physical arm's reach, this is not possible. Also a bigger screen would be better.

At the end of the day, that screen is not gonna matter BC overall the joy RCF delivers will make you smile ear to ear!!!

I turned off the "vibrate to confirm" feature on the RCF touchpad BC the system kept selecting the wrong item for me.

Old 02-11-17, 07:58 PM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I'm the only one that prefers the touch pad to the little joystick mouse thing. I never even gave the screen a second thought, would care less if it wasn't even there! So absolutely in no way a deal breaker for me, totally irrelevant in my eyes.
Old 02-11-17, 08:23 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

The function is not bad and moving through the the different menus. But the graphics are a bit outdated.

Definitely, recommend TURNING OFF the haptic feedback. Makes system much easier to use. Unlike the joystick where you want max feedback.
Old 02-11-17, 09:11 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I went from a 2014 IS350 to my RCF - the touchpad is much, much better than that thing ever was.
Old 02-12-17, 08:14 AM
Colt45ccg
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like the touchpad and the multimedia system..... guess I'm alone here
Old 02-12-17, 08:54 AM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Colt45ccg
I really like the touchpad and the multimedia system..... guess I'm alone here
Look at my post above, not totally alone! lol
Old 02-12-17, 11:07 AM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Not a deal breaker at all. I've gotten used to it. The only negative for me is that the touchpad is way too sensitive. Sometimes it activates when I am hovering my finger over it trying to decide which song I want , Lol.
Old 02-12-17, 03:33 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Not a deal breaker at all. I've gotten used to it. The only negative for me is that the touchpad is way too sensitive. Sometimes it activates when I am hovering my finger over it trying to decide which song I want , Lol.
does this happen with haptic feedback off? If not. Try it. Doesn't happen to me anymore.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-12-17)
Old 02-12-17, 04:03 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I rarely need to interact with the infotainment system on any of my cars aside from setting it to the audio mode which I use through the handy dashboard display via steering wheel controls.

Navi and all that other crap is useless on all cars because the phone does it better.

The real question is do you want to lower the car which is to say the adaptive suspension is going to be a pain to fit aftermarket components to it without triggering errors. For this reason alone I'd get an earlier model as aftermarket support is next to nil for the f cars to date. air suspensions and the like suck for modders as they're built for perpetual leasers.
Old 02-12-17, 09:15 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

You will get used to the touch pad. Not a deal breaker..
Old 02-12-17, 09:18 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
does this happen with haptic feedback off? If not. Try it. Doesn't happen to me anymore.
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New Member Question