RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Had a minor incident, was expecting the worst.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 09:40 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Had a minor incident, was expecting the worst.

Wondering if anybody else has had this feeling after one of those painful moments.
Was kind of like delaying the inevitable.
I was in a rush to leave work and pick up my daughter from school to take her to sports training.
There was a truck getting loaded with loaded pallets all over the place.
I was carefully maneuvering out in reverse, then had to turn pretty tight in forward to get through the gap and ran over an empty pallet completely in my blind spot, which lifted the whole front end up.
I just exploded in my head at that point in frustration.
I then had to reverse off the pallet and drop which dropped the front end back to the ground, got about 3ft onto the 4 ft deep pallet.
The truck driver then pulled the pallet away and I just took off as a few guys saw it, felt a bit embarrassed and I didn't want to check the damage then and there, just wanted to get out of there.
I felt so frustrated that I'd probably damaged my RC F which I've tried to protect as much as possible from even the slightest damage.
When I got to my daughters school to pick her up, I didn't even want to look at the front end, expecting that the front bumper would be dislodged somewhat at the very least, if not cracked.
I just took a really quick glance to see how bad the gap where it joins would be hoping it would not be too bad, and nothing stood out right away.
Then when I dropped my daughter at training, I stood back before looking and looked from the good side first and slowly crept around, it all looked ok.
So then I got under under the car and had a look and still nothing cracked or torn away.
Then I inspected even closer, the joins, gaps, and pulled on the front bumper in different section in different ways to see if it was loose and still nothing.
Even the little flap underneath in front of the front wheel was intact surprisingly, only my right side front wheel went over the pallet, so was comparing right to left for any differences.
I was really expecting the worst but all seems to be ok in the end thankfully.
When I got home I was measuring the clearance under the car and wondering how I got away with not ripping the front bumper off, considering I'm lowered on Swift springs.
A standard pallet is 6 inches tall, but I had a feeling the pallet I went over had slightly thinner boards.
When I got to work this morning I found the pallet and measured it at 5 inches, which was just able to fit under my front end if it pushed up the flexible soft lining underneath.
This made me feel better too, knowing that there was just enough clearance to not dislodge any hard/fixed parts.
If the pallet were 6 inches tall, that extra inch would have most definitely caused some pretty bad damage so I consider myself extremely lucky in this case and very relieved, but it had me very stressed for quite a few hours.

Sorry for the long post, but it was really difficult to control my feelings in this case.
This car is a daily driver for me and sometimes I think I would feel much more carefree if just driving a crap car and not worry if it gets damaged.
Although then I wouldn't get the joy out of driving this car daily,
Hopefully the protective feeling will wear off once I've had the car a little longer.
Old 02-09-17, 10:08 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

pallets flex. are you talking bout wooden pallets?
Old 02-09-17, 10:16 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Yeah, like this:

When I got to work this morning, I watched the replay pretty clearly on the security cameras to see how it looked.
I could see the boards flexed a bit and when I reversed back off the pallet, I didn't slam on the pallet, but came off the very corner and the front bumper just missed dropping on it.
Just lucky that it was 1 inch lower than the regular pallets in this case.

Last edited by Spider21; 02-09-17 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 11:05 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

yeah you are good with those. they make tons of noise when it gets lifted and drops. you probably heard a lot more than what damage it did. if you hit a concrete parking stop that are 6 inches, I'm sure you would of done crazy damage that has to do with steering rack, steering column , tie rods, tie rod ends, lower control arm, etc.

i know how it is to worry about my car. I'm the same way but you lucked out. i would get an alignment just to make sure toe and everything is ok. rebalance tires if needed.
The following users liked this post:
Spider21 (02-09-17)
Old 02-09-17, 11:55 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Thanks for the comforting comments.
An alignment was due already as I just got new wheels 3 weeks ago and was getting around to getting it done.
Have only driven lightly since then and read somewhere that 3 weeks after is a stood time to get it done.
Old 02-10-17, 08:15 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Many years ago, I purchased a new 1980 Porsche 911SC. The car had a MSRP of $35K, big bucks at that time. A week later, I lost my job! A couple of days after that, I was backing out of a space in the parking lot and backed into a pole that I somehow did not see. I got out of the car to see what damage I had done to the car, not the pole. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was no damage at all. I sold the car three years later. Big mistake!
Old 02-10-17, 07:09 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I think most of us all have had one of those kick in the gut moments and glad you got by with no damage. Cannot say I have gotten away from any of my 3 mph spaz moments scottfree...